Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: The Tale of a Sensible Dwarf  (Read 10834 times)

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of a Sensible Dwarf
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

But as sheriff, he'll never make your fortress rich by crafting a zillion exceptional metalcrafts!    :)

Here's the next part of the tale:

From the journal of Alath Esheten, Mayor

22nd Timber - Wow, being a mayor is a really busy job!  I've had to handle military operations, deal with a strange mason who took over a shop to create an amazing throne, AND oversee mining.  Fortunately, I've had help.  Libash has given me a lot of pointers about how to handle the stress of nobility.  And a couple weeks ago, Mosus started acting really nicely towards me.  I don't know why, but suddenly he's helping me with paperwork, relaying messages, and giving me advice on running the fortress.  It's so useful!  I talked with him a few days ago, and together we decided that the safety of the fortress is the most important priority.  I'm responsible for 79 dwarves now, and that's a big responsibility.  Mosus suggested clearing out the chasm, and even said I should be the one to propose it, so that it looked like my idea!  It's great!  I talked with As today about it.  I called him into my office, and told him he'd be taking his axe and beating up the iron man.

"I don't know, Alath," he said.  "I haven't had much practice in using this thing."

"Oh, don't worry," I said.  "You're great with a shield.  And you're one of the best wrestlers in the military!  I remember when we were sparring, how someone would try to hit you and you just wouldn't be there any more.  That iron man won't be able to touch you, and you'll eventually land a killing blow."

"But Alath... I just don't know if this is such a great idea."

"As, this is a huge opportunity for you!"  I was surprised at As's reluctance.  This was his job, for Armok's sake!  "You just need to take out that iron man so the marksdwarves can come in and shoot down everything else!  You'll be a hero!  I envy you really, if it wasn't for my bad back I'd be out there getting the glory."

"Does it have to be me?" he asked.

"Urist H. Armok!  I'm giving you a great chance and you don't want it!?!?  YES, As, it has to be you, the axedwarf squad is the best equipped for this job.  You know it, so stop complaining about it.  SHEESH!"

"Sorry, Alath."  He quietly turned around and left my office.

I was surprised by his reluctance, but I knew I was right.  Once As was a fortress hero maybe he'd thank me.

1st Moonstone - Today was the day.  I went to the very top of lookout hill and peered down, able to just see over the lip of the chasm to where the iron man stood on a ledge.  It was a little eerie, how it stood there completely still and silent, no real mind controlling it.  You could easily mistake it for a statue, but we knew better.  Usrir was next to me, also watching.

I knew Udib, As, and Catten were just on the other side of one of those walls.  Ingish, the leader of the axedwarf squad, was asleep, so I had temporarily promoted As to commander.  Hey, it's not my fault if Ingish was sleeping when it was time to earn the glory!

I saw a crack form in the wall, almost halfway around the circular chasm from the iron man.  The crack widened bit by bit, until a copper pick burst through, and I saw Udib on the other side, bringing down the wall.  He quickly ran back into the tunnel he had dug, and I saw As come out, wielding his axe.

As worked his way along the chasm's side towards the iron man.

The iron man, showing no emotion in its unchanging face, began lurching along the side of the chasm towards As.

They met, and As clumsily swung his axe.  I saw what he meant when he said he didn't have much practice.  It was a weak blow, bouncing off the solid iron of the creature's left arm.  The iron man lifted its arm, and let forth a forceful punch.

But As wasn't there any more.

With his lightning-quick reflexes, As had instinctively jumped away from the iron man to avoid the blow, but had forgotten he was on the edge of the chasm!  Leaping in the wrong direction, he had lost his balance, and I watched in horror as he went plummeting over the side of the cliff.

"As!  AS!!!"  I cried.  I couldn't wait for a report.  Usrir running behind me, I ran down into the fortress, heading for the tunnel to the chasm...

To be continued...

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

Noooooooooooo... How could you use such a tricky "To Be Continued"?!?!

Great as ever.

..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

No!!
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

Is it still a cliffhanger if the guy falls over?
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

AUGHH!!!

Cliffhanger...

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »

And now, the conclusion...

From the journal of Alath Esheten, Mayor, continued

I found out later what had happened as I was running the long tunnel to the chasm.  Udib had seen the fall, and fearing the same thing would happen to Catten when he went out, Udib stopped him.  Instead, Udib walked out onto the chasm ledge, acting like he was going to mine some more of the walls.

"Here I am!" he cried.  "Over here!  Come and get me, you ugly golem!"

The unthinking iron man began lumbering towards him, moving away from the chasm's edge and towards the tunnel.  As it came close, Udib ran back into the tunnel, screaming "now!"  Catten leaped  from the tunnel mouth, bringing his axe down and completely severing the creature's right arm.  The iron man tried to punch with his left hand, but Catten easily blocked the blow with his shield, and hit it in the leg on the counterstrike, knocking it down.  From there it was only a matter of time as blow after blow slowly cut the iron man to pieces.

The marksdwarves then came out of the tunnel, firing a rain of bolts at the batmen and cave swallowmen who were fleeing into the air and out of the chasm.  That's when Usrir and I arrived.

Usrir and I looked over the edge.  "As!  As!  Oh, As, what have I done!  It wasn't supposed to be like this," I turned to Usrir, and saw tears welling up in her eyes.

"You did what you had to do," she said sadly.

"You nearly got me killed, you jerk!"  It was As's voice!

"As!  Are you down there?"

"Yeah, I landed on a lower ledge," he called up.

"Are you alright?"

"Some bumps and bruises, but nothing's broken.  You wanna send Udib to get me out of here?"

Our tears turned to tears of joy, we quickly figured out what level As was on and had Udib dig a passage to free him.  Usrir smiled at me again.

"Well," she said.  "You've made the fortrees safe from the chasm.  You've gotten As his glory, killed the rhesus macaques, even paved the streets with gold.  I'd say you've gotten everything you ever wanted from Authorgilt."  She turned, beginning to head back to the main fortress.

"Wait."  I don't know why I had this sudden bravery, but I grabbed Usrir, turned her around, and looked her in the eyes.  "There's one more thing, the most important thing, that I need from this life."  I leaned forward and kissed her, passionately, as she threw her arms around my neck and embraced me.

Things have been made very safe at Authorgilt.  With Mosus advising me and Usrir by my side, I feel ready for anything now!  I'm ready to face the future.

END OF PART TWO

(There is a scrawled note at the bottom of the page, looking as though it were made many years after the journal entry.  It reads "Sure, ready.  I wish I knew how ready those blasted goblins were to face me!")

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

Beyond Quality!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

I love the stories that come out of this forum!

Maybe I should try my hand at it again. Didn't get too many readers with my last one, but then that fort ended up being way more boring then I'd thought it would.

Of course, I could take a few notes from this story on how to fill in and interesting backstory to everything that goes one...

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

That's pretty much how I do it.  I play a year or two, then fill in the conversations.  The reason As and Usrir showed up in the early piece of part II was that As would fell off the cliff and Usrir became Alath's lover.  It makes for a really good story when you first look at everything that happened, and then write the story by asking "Now why did that happen?"  Also, whenever someone dies semi-mysteriously (i.e. when I'm not looking), I assume Mosus was behind it   ;)

I'll probably take a couple weeks off of this for now, recharge my juices, play in adventurer a bit, and start it up again later.  Part III is going to have a lot more violence, by the way.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

Epic win!
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

Poor Mosus, it's not his fault he has the personality of a mass muderer wrapped up in the shell of a crafter...

Or perhaps... perhaps it is.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2008, 07:53:00 am »

Wow, I just read parts 1&2 then and this is something to rival Nist Akath! I'm serious! It took me 1/2 an hour but it's awesome, keep making them!  :)
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

I highly doubt you are absorbing all of the awesome in only a half hour. Or else I am a slow reader. Which might be highly possible. I am not sure.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

Actually reading it in half an hour wouldn't be that hard. The hard part would be ignoring all the posts around it. Cutting it into just the story would probably make it a half an hour story. Nist Akath would be awhile though, even cutting out EVERYONE's posts, cept mayday's of course.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2008, 06:46:00 am »

And even looking at the other peoples posts would take over a week, like there's 70+ pages dammit!  ;)
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11