Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19229 times)

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

Can I get the peasant?

Name her T'Malia, and It'd be great to be architect / siege engineer / siege operator, but OK with doing whatever needs doing until we can spare the wood for a catapult...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »

23rd Timber, 1051
"Good morning sir, may I speak to you a moment?"
Durien looked up from his records to see the peasant standing by his chair.
"Of course," he said leaning back.  "What is it?
"I'd like to be reassigned sir, in my duties.  I'd rather build and operate catapults than planting seeds."
Durien frowned.  "We don't have any catapults.  Or ballistas for that matter."
"Doesn't matter.  I'll build them, then shoot with them."
"Do you know why you were assigned to the fields?"
"I needed a job, sir."
"You were assigned, because Systar had the job before you but her skill is needed in the brewery.  Let me ask you something.  Would you rather play with your siege weapons and starve, or plant seeds and go to bed every night on a full stomach?"
She hesitated, then slowly answered, "Sir, if those are my two choices, I will continue in the fields, but please, as soon as someone else arrives assign me to the catapults!"
That's if more dwarves arrived, Durien thought.  But he nodded his agreement.  "What's your name?"
"T'Malia, sir.  And thank you, sir."

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

9th Moonstone, 1051
Durien's log
Imp went over to the cave today to explore, she said.  She took out one of the naked mole dogs with two blows of her pick, sustaining no injuries.  It is her opinion that the foes there are so weak as to allow us to defeat them easily.  True as that may be, and I have no reason to doubt her word, I believe I will wait until the recruits have gained some skill, before undertaking the task.  Even if she is not, I am wary of the hydra that always lurks in that part of the mountain.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »

Systar's Log
20th Timber

At last, I am brewing instead of farming, a task worthy of a true dwarf.  That newcomer T'Malia has relieved me of field duty, though I did hear her muttering about catapults.

The time in the fields did give me time to think, however.  I haven't seen the interior of the local cave (as I'm not feeling particularly suicidal at the moment) but I've got an idea on how to deal with it.  We have an aquifier, there's wind to power some pumps, and Imp talked with me a good bit about mechanics while we mined, so why not flood the Armok-forsaken thing?  There may be treasure down there, but I'd rather not deal with the hydra.  We could always drain it later.

I'll present the idea to Durien next time I get a chance.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

Kalen's Log.
6th Moonstone, 1051.
All right, I'll admit that pissing off the Baron was a bad idea. I mean, look at this place! There's a big-ass cave practically next-door, and a big ol' hydra's there! It felt satisfying to smack him upside the head, (the baron, not the hydra.) but I never woulda done it if I knew I'd land out here! Grah, by Uzol, this place gives me a headache...
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

21st Moonstone, 1051
"I've had an idea for dealing with the cave."  Systar stated out of the blue.
"Really?  Enlighten me."  Durien said.
"Flood it, usi-"
"Never!" A voice thundered, and Nosey butted in, shaking his fist. "The only way to deal with 'em is to fight 'em!  Any other way is pure cowardice."  He slapped his fist against his chest.  "I myself will lead my soldiers into glorious battle!"
"More like glorious death."  Systar muttered.
Durien thought a moment, then turned to Systar.  "Although your idea is sound, and will keep the dwarves safe, it will not help us to deal with the hydra.  That creature hangs around outside and has never entered the cave, to my knowledge.  Imp was lucky in avoiding it on her exploratory foray, and our military may not have the same luck, for it is obvious they have not the skill to meet the beast in direct combat yet."  He then turned to Nosey.  "The best option, I believe, will be to dig a tunnel into the cave and make sure it is sealed off from the main fort.  The military will then be able to deal with the various...nuisances? that are found there and gain some real combat experience to boot.  How does that sound?"

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

Nosey roars with such fanaticsm that it shakes the very foundations of his new mountainhome. His longing for battle had subsided during his years on the harsh tundra, ecking out an existance since Cursemountains fell. He cracks his knuckles, and grins with anticipation.
"NO DWARF, ELF, MAN, GOBLIN, NOR BEAST WILL KEEP ME FROM GLORY!"
He stops and looks around...
"However, a lack of weapon might..."
Nosey wanders off to train more.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Nos3y ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »

24th Moonstone, 1051
Durien's log
I told Imp and Leo about the tunnel to the cave, and they agreed that it would be done.  I also spoke to the clothier and told her to make some armor for our brave warriors out of the leather I managed to cadge from the traders this autumn.  She protested that she'd never worked with leather before, but she is the only dwarf in the fort with any experience in such matters, and I managed to convince her.  I believe we will be ready to launch the assault by spring.
Nosey has been training hard with his two companions, and they should have easy work when they go into battle, particularly as Imp has volunteered to accompany them if they need an extra dwarf.
On other matters, our progress through the aquifer continues, and I have great hopes that soon we will have access to the rock below.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2008, 12:15:00 am »

Systar's Log
22st Moonstone

Well, so much for the cave flood.  That oddball Nosey was loitering nearby and nearly went berserk when he heard my idea.  He insists that he can lead a squad in conquest of the caves and clear them out that way.  I say he's welcome to try, as long as he doesn't die ignobly and cause the cave dwellers to flood out in a tide of revenge against the fort.  Durien seems to be in favor of that plan, so I suppose that's what will happen.  I wish them luck.

24th Moonstone
Leather armor?  Leather??  What are we, elves?  Durien thinks that leather will suffice to protect the cave squad from doom.  If I had to stand up to a hydra, I'd rather be encased in good dwarven steel.

I think I can take this to my advantage, however.  I'll bring up my concerns to Durien, and point out that to make good plate mail, we need metal bars, and to make metal bars, we need a smelter!  I'll need to ask him for a list of all the metals we have available, not just what we have for arms and armor.  I've seen him with his bookkeeping, so he should have a list near at hand.  I know we have iron, at least, so there's no excuse for anything less.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2008, 08:05:00 am »

Akroma's log, sometime in moonstone 1051

I have succesfully managed to make a new home out of what appears to be a small "outpost", somewhere at the volcanoes next to the crazy walls. News don't travel that far. I cloaked myself as a jeweler, and eventhough my beard isn't growing as fast as I want it too, I have managed to avoid any suspicious questions.

Appearantly these maniacs have settled next to a hydras lair, which will prove an interesting testing ground. With an abundance of malovent creatures around, there should be plenty of corpses, both of the beasts and the dwarves, as well as living test subjects.

I will attempt to propose to the leader that the hydra is captured alive, as all scientific reports on that creature are more than lacking. Of course I will just tell him to do that so travelers can gaze upon out victory over the unholy beast.
Get a good reputation and such.

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

8th Opal, 1051
Durien's log
Akroma came to me today, suggesting we attempt to capture the hydra, instead of killing it.  I had not considered such a thing before, but the idea has merit.  I will discuss the various ways and means with Imp, since she has some mechanic skill.
Systar continues to grumble about the leather armor, but beggars cannot be choosers, and until we have access to some better stuff it will have to do.  She wanted to know what ores we have, and although it is obvious, I told her hematite.  That's it.  But we are seemingly drowning in the stuff, so have a virtually unlimited supply of iron, when we get to use it.  Oh, we also have some aluminum, but I have plans for that.  She wants a smelter built, and the metalworking shops are next in my list of projects, but as we have no anvil, we will have to wait until the caravan brings one on their return to make anything useful out of the bars.

[OOC: Do traps work on resident creatures now?  And if not, any suggestions on how to trap it?]

[ February 28, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2008, 09:32:00 am »

damn I did not concider this. resident hydra = uncatchable

sigh

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2008, 10:30:00 am »

Just means I get to tear one of it's heads off and beat it the others with it!

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

T'Malia's journal:

Well, I finally came out and asked Durien about the siege engine. I must admit it wasn't as hard as I had thought it would be. He did rise a good point that food is more important at the moment, but I think I made it clear where my real passion lies. I forgot to mention I was going to study Architecture before I was sent here, but I don't think I should bother him more. I'll volunteer whenever there's some need if nobody else does...

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

Count me in for the next Carivan!
Female Dwarf will do - Hunter / Marksdwarf / Tanner / Leatherworker. If you don't wind up getting an immagrant that fits one or more of these then just assign a peasant to them and have it train as a marksdwarf until it gets to a level where it won't be immediately struck down by some carp =P

name: Baerolyn
General information: Baerolyn ('Baer' for short) has spent several of her adult years living away from Dwarven society in a small hunting group roaming the outskirts of civilization. Disaster has recently struck her tribe, and necessity has brought her here, back to 'civilization' however small it is.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32