Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19224 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

From the Journal of Leo

We have supposedly made 'progress' according to the leader, but all I see is a bigger hole. We have found some valuable metals, and that rock crystal is pretty, but I still think life here is rather dull. Not that I want a goblin attack or something, but I just get tired of mining and making chairs all the time.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

10th Sandstone, 1051
Durien's log
Her name is Thob Edemgeshud, and apparently she is our liaison from Mafol Umam.  She is here to set up a trade agreement for next year, what we need to import and what they would like us to export.  I still do not understand why she did not insist upon my meeting with her sooner, but no matter.  
I have requested food and drink as our highest priorities, as well as some other seeds.  I also asked for armor, for Grekk only knows how to forge weapons, and I do not think we can afford to wait while she learns to forge decent armor.  
And then the liaison put forward the list of things we are to export.  Top of the list is armor.  Armor!  I can see the Baron's hand in this.  They also want food.  Prepared meals to be precise, I imagine we can handle that.  Looking further down the list I see soap.  Soap?  We can't do that, with neither the personnel nor the facilities.  But I was unable to convince Thob of that fact.  But, all in all, I think we have come up with a somewhat satisfactory agreement, as long as what I ordered is actually delivered.  I don't trust the Baron and I imagine he'll do whatever he can to make our exile hellish.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

24th Sandstone, 1051
Leo was out in the courtyard making some cabinets for the rooms when a strange dwarf walked through the doors.  Leo couldn't believe his eyes.  That dwarf was shortly followed by...one, two, three, four, five...six others!
"Who're you?"
"We've come to live here, same as you," responded the first dwarf.
"You're nuts!  Who'd want to live this close to a hydra!?"
"A HYDRA!"  Seven voices shouted in various degrees of shock.  "The Baron didn' say nothing 'bout a hydra!"

Durien's log
Well, with the seven new arrivals we have doubled the number of workers.  It seems the Baron sent them, which means they are probably not in his good graces, or those of his friends.  No matter, we have more work than we know what to do with, so the extra hands will be welcome.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

Systar's Log

Events continue apiece here in exile.  My kitten, after being saved from certain doom at the hands of the brutish Grekk, has been lured away from me by that dwarf Paul.  Fickle thing was lured away by simple scraps of meat?  Bah!

Soon, at least, we will have a still set up so that we may replinsh our supply of the lifegiving liquid.  On that note, Durien has caught wind of my... less respectable ideas, but seems to have misunderstood them.  I was offered a separate still, but what I really need is a smelter.  I have no doubt that one will be constructed soon enough, but I don't think I'll press the matter for now.

Farming is an acceptible task, but I do wish I could get to less mind-numbing labor.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

Imp's lournal

24th Sandstone, 1051

The thrice-damned baron has tossed a couple more poor souls our way, bringing our total number to around fourteen. Of course, the fool conveniently neglected to mention the matter of the resident hydra to them. Ah well, the more the merrier they say.

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

Dame de la Licorne, does Leo have his guard dog assigned to him? I haven't seen any mention of it. (the dog)

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

Are any of those dwarves being named accordingly to those who posted? Remember, one of those Dwarves should be Nosey. Fearless.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

Is Rice actually doing anything or is he just moping around?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

@Helm: Leo's dog has been assigned from the beginning, sorry about that.
@Nosey: The dwarfs are being assigned in order of posting, as they match with requests.
@ricemastah: Rice is mainly hauling things, her only real contribution thus far is building the palisade and the depot.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

Ok, thanks.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

Here are the migrants:
1 clothier (female)
1 stonecrafter (female) turned mason -> Xotes
1 bowyer (male) turned soldier -> Nos3y
1 jeweler (male) -> Akroma
1 gem setter (male) turned soldier -> Halfman
1 gem setter (female) turned soldier -> AlmostEverywhere
1 peasant (female) -> N35t0r

26th Sandstone, 1051
Durien's log
Well, the arrival of the migrants has kind of shaken things up a little.  I thought we were completely on our own, and I believe most of the others thought the same.  But now we have more work to do to enlarge our halls, for fourteen will be cramped where seven lived quite comfortably.  I hope none of the new arrivals have been exiled here because of truly heinous deeds, but nonetheless I shall keep an eye on them for a while.
Several of the new arrivals have proven...interesting.  Two of them wished to take up weapons and join our military and they were welcomed with open arms.  One of them, Nosey, claims to have been Captain of the Guard for a short time at a place called Cursemountains, but I have never heard of such a place.  I can only assume that it was an ill-fated outpost from another Mountainhome.  The other, Halfman, wishes to go hunting, once he's been trained up a bit.  I cannot help but wonder at him, but perhaps he will come to his senses once he has been here a while.  
Then there's the dwarfette Kalen, a stoneworker by trade, but who claims to have some experience in masonry.  Either way, with all the stone here she will never be without a job.  
And of course, I cannot forget the jeweler Akroma, of the short beard.  According to the other migrants, he joined them along the way rather than being...volunteered.  I am curious as to why his beard was cut, and why he was wandering alone in the forbidding wilderness that has claimed so many...but on second thought, perhaps it is best not to know.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

From the Journal of Leo

One of the newcomers that has been sent here is named Kalen or something, and she has no experience in masonry, yet she insists on working in my shop. Her doing the work is fine with me, but I have to make sure she never gets better than me. Nope, that wouldn't be acceptable. Not one bit.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

29th Sandstone, 1051
"Hey Durien!"  Paul came striding up.  "I just went to toss some rubbish and I notice a whole pile of bones!  Can I use them?"
"Can you carve bolts?"  Durien responded.
"Uh, bolts?  Uh, yeah, I think so."
"Then use them to make bolts."
That hadn't exactly been what Paul had in mind.  "May I ask why?"
Durien shook his head.  "Do you realize that among fourteen dwarves the only weapons we have are one axe," he brandished the battle axe he always carried, "one sword and one spear?  If we are to mount any kind of assault on the foes outside we need more weapons!  Crossbows are easy to make I've heard, but they need bolts."

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

4th Timber, 1051
Durien was returning to his "office" after a nice drink when he heard his name called.
"Durien!  Durien!  Wait, we need to speak to you!"
Leo came running up, closely followed by his war dog and Paul.  "It's that Kalen.  Please, you have to do something about her."
"What do you mean?"
"She first started using the masonry-"
"But that was fine as long as I was better than her-"
"But then Rice kicked her out-"
"So now she's in Paul's craftshop-"
"And I can't make the bolts, or anything else for that matter!"
"Well, the solution seems simple enough to me," mused Durien.  "Build more workshops.  We have all of that space that we hollowed out for the purpose, may as well use it."
Leo and Paul glanced at each other, wondering why they had not thought of such a simple solution.  And then they started smiling when Durien added, "make Kalen build them.  She needs to earn her seniority, not assume she has it."

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

18th Timber, 1051
Durien's log
Halfman was injured during training yesterday.  Not very badly, he's up and sparring again today, but it was enough to set me thinking.  It's well-known that injured dwarves, for whatever reason, will drink only water, even when there is plenty of alcohol present, so I have ordered a well dug.  With the aquifer everywhere beneath us, it's a fairly simple matter.  Just choose a site and dig.
On a similar note, my preparations for breaching the aquifer are nearly complete, and the process will probably begin some time this winter.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32