Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19213 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #450 on: June 21, 2008, 11:00:27 am »

22nd Moonstone 1055
Durien's log
My cat, Kib, came across a goblin thief this morning.  Whappsie and her axedwarves were out on patrol and dealt with the vermin, but Kib didn't make it.  I am slightly saddened by the loss, but the finely-crafted weapon rack in my office went a long way towards cheering me up again.

On a more serious note, it seems that the investigation into Akroma's odd behavior has turned up...disturbing...information.  Whappsie apparently managed to follow Akroma into the cave, where he seems to be spending most of his time, but she lost him somewhere on the deepest level.  I've ordered a systematic search of that part of the cave.  Scrubs also came forward yesterday, and said that she had been watching Akroma for weeks already.  She related several incidents during which Akroma would get injured, and later show no sign of injury.  Very odd, and it fills me with uneasiness rather than delight, much though I would love to see a magical cure for injured dwarves, particularly our military.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 21, 2008, 11:19:47 am »

25th Moonstone, 1055
Svenge came racing into Durien's office, breathless.
Durien glanced up from his current meeting with a dissatisfied child, glad of the distraction.  Really, these meetings were downright dull and boring.  "What's happened, Svenge?  More goblins?"
"No!  We've...found...it!  We think."  He panted.
"Found what?"
"Akroma's...hiding place!"
Durien shot to his feet and raced down the hall, beard flying behind him.  "HALFMAN!"
"I'm here, I'm here.  No need to cause the entire fort to collapse."
"Gather your best soldiers.  I'm going down to where Akroma's been hiding and Kurol only knows what he has down there.  I want adequate backup."
"Hmmm," Halfman thought for a minute.  "My best dwarves would be m'self, m'dear Whappsie, and Imp. I think I'll also bring Svenge, he needs some more experience.  So, four military dwarves plus yerself should be enough to take out one crazy dwarf.  I'll see to it we're also all fitted out in Dogar's newest armor, no point takin' chances."
"Yes, yes, yes, but hurry it up, would you?"
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 21, 2008, 11:49:10 am »

26th Moonstone, 1055

Durien, Halfman, Whappsie and Imp followed Svenge down through the twisting tunnels of the cave, until they reached what appeared to be a dead end where three wrestlers were standing guard.  "Is this some kind of joke?"  Durien asked, regarding the blank, featureless walls on three sides.
"No, Akroma's smarter than we gave him credit for.  Watch."  And so saying, Svenge placed both hands on part of the wall in front of them and pushed.  The slab of stone pivoted out of the way, revealing a downward staircase.  "Akroma's been hiding out down there.  We only found the door by accident.  One of the peasants who was helping us look leaned against it and fell when the wall moved."
"Lucky for us," murmured Imp.  "I'm going in first."  And sword in hand, she began to cautiously descend.
The other dwarves followed her, less warily.  They were, after all, only going to ask a fellow dwarf some questions.  At the bottom of the stair, they saw two doors, one on either side.  "Imp, Svenge, take the left.  Whappsie and I'll take the right."
"Stay behind me."  Imp told Svenge and nudged the door open.  Peeking into the room, she saw only a bed, table and chair, nothing very out of the ordinary.  Advancing further, she caught a movement out of the corner of her eye.  Wheeling, she brought her shield up just in time to block Akroma's mad lunge from where he had been standing by his well.  The noise brought the other four dwarves in a rush, and Akroma was soon subdued.
"Chain him up by himself, for now."  Durien ordered.  "He's become a threat to the continued well-being of the fort, if he attacks dwarves in such a manner.  I want to take a look around."
Imp promptly volunteered to stay, "No tellin' what other little surprises he has set up."
"Svenge, take him up.  Whappsie, dear, would you mind going with them?  Just in case the little snake acts up."
The three dwarves retreated up the stairs, one bound and trussed like an animal for slaughter.
Durien glanced at Halfman and Imp.  "Nothing here of interest, let's check the other room."

The sight that greeted them upon opening the other door was far more unusual.  Something vaguely resembling a butcher's shop took up one quarter of the room while what seemed to be an alchemist's lab claimed another quarter.  Both were connected to a happily bubbling magma channel.  Various odds and ends were scattered throughout the free space.  A vial on the counter caught Durien's eye, and very carefully he picked it up.  It was half-full of what looked like greenish blood.  Nearby was a notebook, a log detailing Akroma's experiments with the Stredac's blood.
Durien turned back to his companions, holding the two items.  "I think we need to call a court of dwarven justice.  This must be dealt with.  I want a permanent guard posted here until Akroma's punishment is decided."

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 21, 2008, 12:05:17 pm »

7th Opal, 1055

Durien called together the court to determine Akroma's sentence, which consisted of himself, Halfman, Irwin as the local Hydra expert.  Together the three dwarves pored over Akroma's logbook, which detailed all of his plans to the extent that they felt they did not need to question him at all.  After several days of reading, and verifying events by questioning those others involved, they decided that they were ready to pass judgement.
"Hydra blood, indeed any blood from a powerful creature, has near-magical properties."  Irwin explained.  "However, it is also very dangerous to use it as Akroma has.  Those odd red rashes on his arms and upper body are where he's applied the blood and, it seems that they grow larger over time, if the original dimensions stated in the book are to be believed.  The blood from such creatures attempts to recreate it's original animal.  And, although this blood has been diluted and mixed with other things to try to prevent such an occurrence, Akroma has clearly not succeeded as well as he hoped."
Halfman nodded.  "And the written reasons why he has been sent here, are not reassuring.  I do not want a convicted criminal who has not reformed on my list of duties."
"So we are in agreement?  Akroma must either die or be exiled, so that Battlewinds will not be threatened from within."
"Kill him!"  Irwin demanded.  "For the death of Stredac!"
"Now, now," Durien soothed, "That's not a good enough reason to kill anyone."
"Akroma is a convicted, hardened criminal!  AND THAT WAS MY HYDRA!!"
Halfman added, "I would rather he be dead, then no other fort will have to suffer his particular brand of insanity.  Raising the dead, hmpf."
"I have to admit, I would rather he be dead."  Durien replied.  "All right, the sentence is death by beheading, to be carried out as soon as this court is dismissed.  Dismissed."

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 21, 2008, 12:11:58 pm »

8th Opal, 1055
Durien's log
Akroma's sentence was carried out today by one of the butchers since we have no Hammerer.  It seems as though a dark cloud has been lifted from Battlewinds as a result.  Irwin has taken the last of the hydra blood for study and safekeeping, with my blessing.  I don't want that stuff floating around unsupervised.  I have also ordered Akroma's workshop area completely walled off.  I may reopen it later, but for now it is unnecessary and dangerously far from the fortress proper.
I suppose I will now have to finish that meeting with that child that got interrupted nearly two weeks ago.  Meetings really are uninteresting.

Note: The gray dwarf is Akroma, the brown is his butcher-executioner.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:14:54 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 21, 2008, 02:23:47 pm »

Why do I get the feeling Akroma's not completely dead? :o
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 21, 2008, 02:44:22 pm »

-Last memorial of Akroma-

You must make Water of the Earth, and Earth of the Air, and Air of the Fire, and Fire of the Earth.
The Black Sea. The Black Luna. The Black Sol.

Here is the last of the White Stone and the begining of the Red.

Of the son take the light
The Red gum that is so bright
And of the Moon do also
The which gum they both trowe
The philosophers Sulphur vive
This I call it without strife
Kybright and Kebright it is called also
And other names many more
Of them drawe out a tincture
And make of them a marriage pure
Between the husband and the wife
Espowsed with the water of life
But of this water thou must beware
Or else thy work will be full bare
He must be made of his own kind
Mark thou now in thy mind
Acetome of philosophers men call this
A water abiding so it is
The maidens milk of the dew
That all the work doth renew
The Serpent of life it is called also
And other names many more
The which causeth generation
Betwixt the man and the woman
But looke thou no division
Be there in the conjunction
Of the moon and of sun
After the marriage be begun
And all the while they be a wedding
Give to them their drinking
Acetome that is good and fine
Better to them then any wine
Now when this marriage is done
Philosophers call it a stone
The which hath a great nature
To bring a stone that is so pure
So he have kindly nourishment
Perfect heat and decoction
But in the matrix when they be put
Let never the glasse be unshut
Till they have ingendred a stone
In the world there not such a one

The Red Lune. The Spirit of Water. Red Sol. The Red Sea.

On the ground there is a hill
Also a serpent within a well
His tail is long with wings wide
All ready to flee by every side
Repair the well fast about
That thy serpent pass not out
For if that he be there a gone
Thou lose the virtue of the stone
Where is the ground you must know here
And the well that is so clear
And what is the dragon with the tail
Or else the work shall little avail
The well must run in water clear
Take good heed for this your fire
The fire with water bright shall be burnt
And water with fire washed shall be
The earth on fire shall be put
And water with air shall be knit
Thus ye shall go to purification
And bring the serpent to redemption
First he shall be black as a crow
And down in his den shall lie full low
Swelling as a toad that lieth on the ground
Burst with bladders sitting so round
They shall to burst and lie full plain
And this with craft the serpent is slain
He shall shine colors here many a one
And turn as white as whale's bone
With the water that he was in
Wash him clear from his sin
And let him drink a little and a light
And that shall make him fair and white
The which whiteness be abiding
Lo here is a very full finishing
Of the white stone and the red
Lo here is the very true deed.

The Red Lion. The Green Lion. The Mouth of Choleric beware.

Here is the last of the Red, and the beginning to put away the dead. The Elixir Vitae.

Take the father that Phoebus so high
That sit so high in majesty
With his beams that shines so bright
In all places wherever that he be
For he is father to all things
Maintainer of life to crop and root
And causeth nature for to spring
With the wife beginneth soothe
For he is salve to every sore
To bring about this prosperous work
Take good heed unto this lore
I say unto learned and unto clerk
And Homogenie is my name
Which God made with his own hand
And Magnesia is my dame
You shall verily understand.
Now I shall here begin
For to teach thee a ready way
Or else little shall thou win
Take good heed what I do say
Divide thou Phoebus in many parts
With his beams that be so bright
And this with nature him convert
The which is mirror of all light
This Phoebus hath full many a name
Which that is full hard to know
And but thou take the very same
The philosophers stone ye shall not know
Therefore I counsel ere ye begin
Know it well what it should be
And that is thick make it thin
For then it shall full well like thee
Now understand what I mean
And take good heed thereto
Our work else shall little be seen
And turn thee to much woe
As I have said this our lore
Many a name I wish he hath
Some behind and some before
As philosophers doth him give

In the sea without lees
Standeth the bird of Hermes
Eating his wings variable
And maketh himself yet full stable
When all his feathers be from him gone
He standeth still here as a stone
Here is now both white and red
And all so the stone to quicken the dead
All and some without fable
Both hard and soft and malleable
Understand now well and right
And thank you God of this sight

The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.

The Red Sea. The Red Sol. The Red Elixir Vitae.
Red Stone. White Stone. Elixir Vitae. Luna in Crescent.

I shall you tell with plain declaration
Where, how, and what is my generation
Omogeni is my Father
And Magnesia is my Mother
And Azot truly is my Sister
And Kibrick forsooth is my Brother
The Serpent of Arabia is my name
The which is leader of all this game
That sometime was both wood and wild
And now I am both meek and mild
The Sun and the Moon with their might
Have chastised me that was so light
My wings that me brought
Hither and thither where I thought
Now with their might they down me pull,
And bring me where they will
The Blood of mine heart I wish
Now causeth both joy and blisse
And dissolveth the very Stone
And knitteth him ere he have done
Now maketh hard that was lix
And causeth him to be fix
Of my blood and water I wish
Plenty in all the World there is
It runneth in every place
Who it findeth he hath grace
In the World it runneth over all
And goeth round as a ball
But thou understand well this
Of the worke thou shalt miss
Therefore know ere thou begin
What he is and all his kin
Many a name he hath full sure
And all is but one Nature
Thou must part him in three
And then knit him as the Trinity
And make them all but one
Lo here is the Philosophers Stone

-Akroma's log, last entry-

They are all around me. Dear god, all around. They took me prisoner, and I can hear them now, plotting behind that door. these creatures inhabit the bodies of men and women, wearing dwarven skins as we wear clothes. Infltrating, manipulating, playing us against each other. They found out. And that's why they came for me. They want my secret and that's why they killed all dwarves in this cursed city. But they couldn't fool me !
No, not at all.
I could smell them you see. Somewhere between the spice of vanilla and the stench of pustulent rot.

But it's time for me to trick them now. I have the elixir. I will go out and get them. By blade and bullet, I will get rid of them.

----------------------------------------------

((Of course, that implies you know your way around dwarv companion))
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 23, 2008, 09:21:25 am »

23rd Opal, 1055
Durien's log
Somehow, with all the fuss about Akroma, something managed to slip by my attention.  Namely, we are out of food!  How in the name of the gods did this happen!  I'm the Mayor, I'm supposed to know these things.  Clearly the farmers and butchers are not doing their jobs.  I swear heads are going to roll!  As it is, several dwarves are already so hungry they are willing to eat vermin, I trust I will not have to lower myself to such indignity.  There will be food, even if I have to station the soldiers to force those lazy farmers to work.  Grrr!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 23, 2008, 09:35:49 am »

28th Opal, 1055
Durien's log
Tun, a woodworker, started tantruming in the main crafting area yesterday and I ordered her to my office to discuss the matter.  I've been waiting all day and she still hasn't shown up, drat that dwarf.
It was only when I went to have a word with Halfman about the fort's defenses that I noticed a dwarf in the prison.  Turns out Tun started a fist fight with a dog and Halfman dragged her into jail for disturbing the peace.  I suppose that meeting will have to wait.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:06:12 am by Dame de la Licorne »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 24, 2008, 10:39:24 am »

I've been following this since the beggining, and i must admit, its a dam good read :)
Magma is overrated.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 24, 2008, 11:26:49 am »

If there are any dwarves left, I'd like a swords-or-axe-dwarf called Maggarg.
Preferably with fairly extravagant tastes.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 24, 2008, 01:50:24 pm »

1st Granite, 1056
Durien's log
The food situation is slowly getter better, although with 85 dwarves it will take a lot longer for our stocks to return to a comfortable level. 

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 24, 2008, 01:50:55 pm »

6th Granite, 1056
Durien's log

Irwin came to announce that we now have two trained war giant cocoon spiders.  Now to think about where to post them...  Oh, I know.  They'll go guard the entrance.  The elves are due in the next few days, I look forward to their reactions.  Now if only there were a way to cause the spiders to attack those munsog tree-lovers...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 24, 2008, 01:52:41 pm »

8th Granite, 1056
Durien's log
Imp had taken a few of the trainees out on patrol near the cave entrance.  It seems that they happened upon a goblin scouting party, who immediately attacked them.  Imp took care of them easily, such things are second-nature to her now, and she's rather upset that the trainees just got in the way rather than contributing to the fight. Indeed one of them, an axedwarf-in-training, managed to get knocked on the head by one of the goblins, and is now insisting that his name is 'Maggarg' and demanding adamantine, of all things!  I must have a word with him.  And I'll take my axe with me, just in case.  One crazy dwarf a year is more than enough.

[OOC: @Maggarg, here's your dwarf.  He's currently labeled as a wrestler because all my military dwarves get training in hand-to-hand before picking up a weapon, but he's now a novice axedwarf as well.]

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 02:26:21 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:43 am »

I laughed when I saw how I came to be.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32