Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19222 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 10:22:00 am »

20th Felsite, 1051
Durien's log
The first farm has finally been hollowed out of the peat above our halls, ready for the summer growing season.  Systar, as our brewer, has agreed to act as planter, as none of the rest of us have any farming skill.  We will, of course, all help to harvest the plump helmets as they mature.  
In return for planting, she has begged for a brewery, which I was already planning to build, so she did not have to plead very hard.  Leo, however, has whispered to me in private that I should keep an eye on her, as she apparently has a reputation for...experiments.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

23rd Felsite, 1051
Durien's log
After much consideration, I have spoken to Systar and let her know that I know part of the reason why she is exiled with us.  I also offered my compromise, I suggested that she keep her brewery for brewing, and once our halls are extensive enough, she will receive another room, well-removed from the heart of our home, for her experiments.  She seemed satisfied.  I only hope that she can keep from experimenting until that time.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

don't use the rockcrystal yet
keep it for the next fey mood
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

1st Hematite, 1051
Durien's log
The calendar claims that summer has come, but you would not know it by looking around.  This place is as much of a rocky wasteland as it was when we arrived three months ago.  Our defensive wall is nearly complete, there are only a few feet left to build and with but a single door, it should give us a fighting chance in any battle.  It is also built mostly out of the mined stone, so will withstand most things I hope.  
The hydra appears content to remain on the far side of the map and does not bother us, though I fear it will not continue for much longer.  The cave-dwellers appear to be fighting a war.  At any rate every so often an antman or ratman corpse will be thrown out, and they have not bothered us yet although I am almost positive they know we are here, since the cave entrance is within view of our defenses.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 10:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>don't use the rockcrystal yet
keep it for the next fey mood</STRONG>

Wasn't planning on it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

4th Hematite, 1051
Durien's log
Paul has managed to create a masterpiece mug.  Quite a feat, considering that he is only competent in stone crafting.  He is rightly very proud, but I trust he will not let it go to his head.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

20th Hematite, 1051
Durien's log
The palisade is finally complete, mostly out of stone, although there are a few wooden sections that will be replaced eventually.  I will attempt to draw what our little fort looks like now.

The anteroom:

The entryway.  The curve on the left will eventually be filled with traps, while the straight section on the right will have a raisable brige.

The farm and dumping zone.  I think Systar went a bit overboard when she carved it out.

The sleeping quarters.  Systar and Leo have insisted on smoothing the walls and floors, leaving Imp to mine out our dining room.  Well, I suppose we may as well be comfortable.  To the north lies the aquifer.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

6th Malachite, 1051
Durien's log
Our new dining room is complete, lacking only some tables and chairs to make it quite inviting.  Leo is now constructing them in the mason's shop, while Imp begins carving out rooms for the workshops.  I am now the only dwarf who dares to venture beyond the walls, and I only do so for the wood I need.  Tensions are no longer running very high, now that we are safely ensconced below ground, and we continue to work.  After all, exile does not mean we must live in discomfort, and with every advance we make, I am mentally thumbing my nose at the Baron.  Try to get rid of me will he?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

11th Malachite, 1051
Durien's log
Systar is inconsolable.  Her precious kitten has adopted Paul, and no longer even acknowledges her.  Paul, of course, is quite happy, having long admired the kitten and spending as much time with her as his duties permit.  But Systar still has her two dogs, so hopefully she will soon return to her normal self.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »

22nd Malachite, 1051
Durien's log
With most of the initial mining now complete, and only the aquifer to bypass, I have decided to make some progress towards making the surrounding wilds somewhat safer for us.  To that end I have asked Grekk and Imp to join me in forming a militia.  Between Grekk's spear, Imp's sword and my axe, I believe we can make a good accounting of ourselves.  Of course, we must first familiarize ourselves with combat, myself especially as I have no training in such matters.  To that end I have requested the excavation of a room that may serve as a barracks, where we may train.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

22nd Galena, 1051
Durien's log
Imp and Leo have found cinnabar and lots of hematite as they carve out the workshop area.  Leo has also just struck aluminum, which I am sure will come in handy.  I am almost ready to begin delving a passage past the aquifer, though I would have liked to have had more dwarves to hand.  Oh well, we must do with what we have, I suppose, and I could have had worse companions.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

6th Limestone, 1051
Durien's log
I wanted to know how much food and drink we had left for the winter, and realized that the numbers are very vague.  I will have to make time and bring the records up to date, as it is a leader's concern and therefore the leader's task.  To that end I have asked Leo to make me a chair so that I may sit in comfort.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

13th Limestone, 1051
Durien's log
A caravan of dwarven traders showed up outside our gates this evening!  Praise the gods, we are not forgotten!  I knew that all outposts received a yearly dwarven supply caravan, but from the moment we arrived here I no longer expected one, certain as I was that the Baron meant for us to die.  I asked Rice to build a trade depot, for we had none, out of cinnabar and for once she set to the task immediately.  By tomorrow we should have a lovely orange building in which to trade.  The caravan is tired after such a long journey, so we will let them rest tonight and ask for news on the morrow.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »

15th Limestone, 1051
Durien's log
The merchants admired the work we have done in the past six months.  They were horrified when we warned them of the hydra and the foul cave-dwellers, but fortunately they had arrived from another direction, and so had managed to avoid them.  They promised to be careful on future trips.  
All of us, save Grekk perhaps, have spoken with the merchants when we have had a spare moment, but only in private, so I know not what news the others have asked for.  For my part, I asked about the Baron, discreetly of course.  The news I have received has rent my heart in two.  That black-hearted Baron has stolen and married my sweetheart!  The dwarfette he demeaned while in my presence!  I cannot bear it!
The rest of the entry is filled with the cursing, raging and rambling of a bereaved dwarf.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

2nd Sandstone, 1051
Durien's log
Is she crazy?  This dwarf has been following me around the fort for almost a month, not saying anything, just following me around.  Like a dog.  Or a child.  I go to trade, she's there.  I go to eat, she sits and stares at me.  I can't even enjoy a good drink but she's there.  What does she want?  If she wants something, she should come out and say it.  If she's in love with me...well I find that thought disturbing, considering how obsessed her behavior would indicate she is. I managed to elude her for a few moments at least, I think, but I will try to get some sleep.  If she's still around when I wake up, I'll have to deal with her.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32