Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19244 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #210 on: March 02, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

18th Slate, 1053
Durien's log
Work on my new quarters, office and dining room is proceeding well.  They lack only a few engravings to reflect my status as mayor.  I was in the craftworking area and noticed Paul working on something.  I have asked him to make me a ring, when he gets the chance, since his work is always top-notch.

OOC: Akroma, I'll put your 'workshop' on the bottom level of the cave, there's a nice out-of-the-way place that won't interfere with my plans, and will in fact enhance them.  Do you have a specific layout you want?

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 02, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

23rd Slate, 1053
Durien's log
Another craftsdwarf started acting strangely this afternoon, claiming the clothier's shop and beginning work on...something.  I find myself wondering what it is about this place that seems to inspire our craftsdwarves so.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

Systar's Log
Undated

Damn!  I went to scope out a spot for a personal smelter, and a fire imp snuck up on me!  Got me right good in the gut.  I'll be in bed for quite some time.

It's the new year.  All our brew is gone, and Durien put some hapless scrub in charge of brewing up a new batch.  Hopefully it'll be at least drinkable.

Gods below, the carnage... Goblin bowmen ambushed our troops as they went out to fight the magma menace!  Nosey's dead, Bappsie's dead, several more I didn't know well dead.  That chap Halfman apparantly flipped out and cut down the goblins like the scum they are, and has been promoted to Sherrif for his actions.  May those brave dwarves rest in the roots of the mountain for eternity.

Did I see Akroma go by carrying a goblin hand?  Yuck.

More migrants have arrived.  Apparantly among them is someone who knows her way around a still, so we'll be having better brew than this pisswater the trainee has been making.  Durien's mayor now, good for him.  He may be embittered by his trials, but he tends to have his beard on straight.
I need to get out of this damnable bed.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Halfman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

Entry #103 Diary of Halfman

Well diary... We've been here a long time now. So much has happened. Since Nosey died I've had many more responsibilities. Being sheriff I have to deal with the riff-raff when some of boys drink just a little bit too much. Or when one of them decides it would be great idea to claim a forge for half a year and i have to pull him kicking and screamin out a there. Its not easy I tell ya. Anyway I've been looking around here lately. And after that run in with those armok cursed Gob...There is a small dark spot here that looks like dried spit. It makes the word scribbled illegible
Scum of the earth.
   The military is coming along slowly. I mean slowly slowly. Some of these recruits are so wet behind the ears that the run away if you look at em funny. I'm thinking close combat might not be a good idea anymore.

Entry #104 Diary of Halfman

Damn it those stupid recruits. They keep hurting each other trying to wrestle. I need to talk to Durien about getting some crossbows made. I still remember shooting as a boy. And if we can kill some of those cursed Gobs before they get close enough to attack us. Even better. Yes, in fact I'll have to go talk to him about setting up shooting range right now.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dame de la Licorne:
<STRONG>18th Slate, 1053
Durien's log
Work on my new quarters, office and dining room is proceeding well.  They lack only a few engravings to reflect my status as mayor.  I was in the craftworking area and noticed Paul working on something.  I have asked him to make me a ring, when he gets the chance, since his work is always top-notch.

OOC: Akroma, I'll put your 'workshop' on the bottom level of the cave, there's a nice out-of-the-way place that won't interfere with my plans, and will in fact enhance them.  Do you have a specific layout you want?</STRONG>

well, somewhere where I can reach it without starving on the way would be nice
make it a 7x7 with an alchemy and a butchers workshop. Small stockpiles for all the pipes ( they don't actually serve a purpose, just decoration), and next to it a 5x5 bedroom/dining room/office (yes, all in one room)
smooth the surfaces, and let Akroma, and only Akroma engrave them

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

26th Slate, 1053
Durien's log
Halfman came to see me today, to complain about the recruits I sent him at the beginning of the month.  Fortunately he also had some suggestions for beefing up the military.  He suggested training some of the recruits with crossbows, the ones that had managed to gain some skill in hand-to-hand.  It seems eminently sensible, as we clearly cannot go up against any sort of bowgoblin with only wrestlers, I shall order some more crossbows made at once, since we currently only have Baer's.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2008, 02:13:00 pm »

1st Felsite, 1053
Durien's log
Well, the craftsdwarf finished her project, a cave spider silk rope worth 20,000*, which she calls "The Mountainous Imprisonment".  Rather ironically appropriate.  At least it's something useful this time.  It is made of iron, as well as cave spider silk and quite bristles with spikes.  I shall have it placed in the jail Halfman has been begging me for, and the next dwarf to use will likely have a rather more severe punishment than expected.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

B...but Nosey!! He was a great dwarf! From his many triumphs of Cursemountains to his final resting place across the world... I hope a monument is built in his Honor! Preferably of him throttling a Goblin :P
If I may, can I ask for another Military Dwarf, under the name of Grukol? We'll call him Nosey's Understudy, a more modest dwarf. Calm of Nature, Tactful, but full of zest for battle! Let's pray he fare's better then his idol.  :)

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

I apologise in advance for the length of this post, but I don't log in much on the weekends, so I have a lot to catch up on =P
------------------

Young Thob Portalelders knocked timidly on Durien's door, holding out a dusty tome. "Uh, Durien, sir... This belonged to my mother. I thought you should keep it. I need no written log to remember her by.. She was.. She was my mother, and that was the greatest thing she ever did for me."

Late in the month of Slate, 1052

Inaccurate as this may be, for it has been months since I have seen a dwarven calander, the air is cooler against the flesh, and I believe it is almost upon the month of Felsite.

After events that I... do not yet feel comfertable remembering, my Mate, Ingiz, and our son Thob are all that remain of our hunting party; once numbering over two dozen. Necessity demanded that we return into dwarven lands, and because I am now the eldest, and only, female of the tribe, I am its desginated leader.

To our fortune, and the fortune of many a lost dwarven soul, we came upon a lost caravan whilst in the cliffs south of our hunting grounds. It appears they were exiles or refugees of some sort, headed to a dwarven outpost Nokzamoslan; BattleWinds. A proper dwarven name. We barbarians have always felt the urge to chase a challenge to its lair, and the fledgling outpost may have need of our help. In any case, these city dwarves have lost themselves in the wild. The place they have described is not far from here, so we will lead them to it.

2nd Felsite, 1052
We have arrived at this place, and it pleases me greatly that it has not yet taken on the curse of a "proper" dwarven city. There is no hammerer or coin based economy. The outpost leader, Durien, is a respectable fellow and was kind enough to mention a hydra that inhabits this land. A Hydra! I fear my eyes may have burst into vibrant flame at the mention of the beast, and I was..perhaps too exhuberant in requesting to be assigned to a position where I could track and, ultimately, slay the fiend...

I will earn a place in history.

11th Felsite, 1052
I've become more accustomed to Dwarven city rituals since arriving here. It has been just over one week and already I have proved my skill to the men and women of this fort. Ratmen are easy prey, I desire more... reptilian... blood to coat my brow. Ingiz has taken to more citylike duties while here. I can't say I blame him, after what happened with the Cyclops...

26th Felsite, 1052
Glory for Lanlar! I returned to the fort with a grin wider than a chasm! Four shots from my crossbow is all I remember, and then there was only ash. I smeared it across my forehead as a sign of victory. Tonight I will eat well, with a great joy in my heart and song in my throat. After that, though, I will need a rest... Although the battle with the fireman went my way, it did not come without its lessons. I write this with my left hand for my right is... bandaged. I will not complain, it is not dwarvenly and not fit for a servant of Lanlar.

25th Hematite, 1052
So... Thirsty. Why do they ignore me? Have I not saved their lives on more than one occasion? Lanlar help me.

12th Malach.. DAMNIT WHO CARES!
I have seen Lanlar in a vision, and he has berated me for being idle. I cannot bear to be bedridden like an invalid! I must kill! Blood for the blood god!

1st Liumestone, 1052
Lanlar calms my mind and heals my body. I have almost full function in my arm again. I can load my crossbow and aim it steady, and that is all that matters to a woman of my nature. My son has quickly abandoned his roaming barbarian nature, but I do not blame him. There are many things about this.. Nokzamoslan.. that are to be admired. Besides, if a dwarf slays a dragon in the forest, who will there be to tell the tale?
Same for Hydras I imagine.

16th Limestone, 1052
I have returned to the hunt, and although my heart yearns for hydra blood, I saw the necesity of easing back into battle slowly. Also, Durien, who has taken a liking to my.. skills.. has asked that I find a source of magma. I could hardly agree more--Magma means forges, and forges mean bolts. Bolts of Iron and Steel! Bone and Wood are good for target practice and soft, squishy ratmen, but I will need somthing sharper for my quarry.

3rd Moonstone, 1052
The cave is deeper than I thought, and within its depths lies an evil that has the potential to plague the stout dwarves of this town. I am not ready to slay the hydra, but perhaps I can gain some skill by heading into the cave. I have spoken to a few others about my plans, but none have the bravery to come with me.

Besides, Such is the duty of a dwarf to face his or her demons alone, and come back all the stronger. It is our way... I will not be gone long.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

5th Felsite, 1053
Durien's log
Halfman has promoted one of the few survivors of the goblin ambush to command of the new crossbowdwarf squad.  Grukol appears a calm, steady sort of dwarf and has already taken up a crossbow and begun training with his squadmates.
Young Thob has gifted me with her mother's logbook, saying she doesn't need it.  I myself felt uncomfortable reading any part of it other than that which Baer wrote after her arrival here, but I have added it to the fort's library as an extra record of the year 1052.  In conjunction with Baer's tomb, it will serve to help us remember her brave deeds while she dwelt here.

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

Would it be too much of an inconvienance to ask for another dwarf?

I would be willing to take any male dwarf currently unnamed and assigned to militairy duty.
Name him:  Kurn
Train him in Maces as soon as it is convienant, thanks (=

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

6th Felsite, 1053
Durien's log
A soldier came to my office today, to complain about having to fight as a wrestler.  He demanded that I give him a mace, and was rather upset when I informed him that we didn't have any.  I also pointed out that as Halfman is Captain of the Guard, he is the one to make all military decisions.  This Kurn fellow left, not too happily, but even he had to admit that maces do not grow on trees.  However, as we have the metal, I will ask Grekk to make some spears and swords, as well as maces and crossbows.  It can't hurt to have a variety of weapons at hand.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

17th Felsite, 1053
Durien's log
Paul presented me with the ring I had ordered today, and I liked it so much that I have asked him to make me another to match.  I do so like rings, particularly when they're well-made.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

6th Felsite, 1053, Diary of Kurn Inethestil
"Just my Luck"

I had an interesting chat with Durien today. I 'ave been wrestling with the other Dwarves in the militia and finally got up the nerve to ask why we 'adn't been issued any weapons yet. 'Halfman', the appointed captain of the guard, told me that it was important for recruits to learn to fight bare 'anded before being worthy of bearing arms. I asked him why it mattered that we be good with our hands when we could just smash somthin' upside the face and be done with it, and 'e poked me in the eye! Oy! Actions speak louder 'an words I guess.

Anyway, I brought the issue up with Durien and he said they didn't even 'ave maces! I 'ave a tendancy to ask the wrong questions. It's just my luck.

I think that's how  I got here. Bad luck or wrong questions or both. I 'ad just met this lovely female dwarf back in the mountainlands. I don't usually strike up conversation with the ladies, but this one bit on my lines like a carp! Said 'er name was "Celia Sethkab" She 'ad a beautiful gold ring of two serpants tryin' to swallow a bird. Anyway, me and 'er got a little intimate. The next day I find myself in bad with the baron and on the next caravan out 'ere. Turns out the Baron's got a wife, and the Baron's family crest: two snakes tryin' to swallow a bird. Just my luck.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

2nd Hematite, 1053
Durien's log
To the great relief of everyone in Nokzamoslan, Systar is back on her feet and back in the brewery!  Three cheers for beers!
Also, Akroma has asked to do some digging down in the mines.  I have agreed, as we will always need more metal and ore.  However, half the time when I go down there, I don't see him.  What could he be doing?

OOC: I'm having Akroma do all the work on his secret rooms, it seems more fitting.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32