Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19240 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

8th Limestone, 1052
Durien's log
Paul came to speak to me today, about the statues.  Or rather, he came to make a suggestion.  I must admit that clear glass statues would give the fort some style, and I believe that Paul has hit on just the thing to spruce up our meeting area.  However, he claims he needs potash for the clear glass, and without an ashery, we can't make potash.  Once one is up and running, however, we shall have some very lovely statues.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

Systar's Log
Undated

Work continues, again.  Leo managed to wall himself up the other day, and I had to dig him out.  He was- predictably- rather annoyed with everything, even though it was his own fault.  Whatever.

I'm still doing more farming than I would like, though I've taken up engraving as well.  It's not a bad job, at least- better than farming.

There's rumor of magma around somewhere.  That'd make getting a smelter up and running much simpler and much more efficient, besides.  Once we have one, I'll be able to sneak in some real work along with the brewing, engraving, and *sigh* farming.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

10th Limestone, 1052
Durien's log
The dwarven traders have returned, thankfully, and they brought two steel anvils.  It seems the Baron either could not or chose not to interfere in this.  I must get one of those anvils.  They also brought plenty of drink and food, which is second my list of priorities.  At least we have plenty of trade goods from Paul's and Kalen's efforts.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Leo's Journal

The crazy nut leader here planned out some construction all wrong and ended up getting me walled in! Gah, now I have statues that I have to make. I never get a break around here.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

16th Limestone, 1052
Durien's log
Baer has returned, bringing a one-humped camel corpse.  She says she has found the magma vent, below and to the south of us, between our fort and the cave.  I went to investigate with her, Nosey, Halfman and Bappsie.  It is not surprising that we missed it, for there is but a very narrow opening through which we must pass to access the magma.  From the outside it resembles a crevice in the mountain.  The soldiers will have work to do, protecting the miners from the various fire imps, and other fire-dwellers while the magma is diverted into channels.  However, most of the work can be dome from the safety of our halls, and so that is the part that will be done first.  Nosey wanted blood, and took out the single fire imp that was within reach, but Kurol knows how many more of the creatures lie hidden.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

1st Sandstone, 1052
Durien's log
Our clothier has been acting peculiarly secretive the last few days, withdrawing to her workshop and emerging only to grab an item now then.  She is refusing food and drink, and I hope she is not ill.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

7th Sandstone, 1052
Durien's log
Well, our clothier has returned to us.  She is currently showing every dwarf in the fort what she has been working on for the last week.  A cave spider silk chausse, which she has named Ardentdouses.  I do not know what she intends to douse with it, but it is very well made indeed.  She used our only piece of cave spider silk cloth that I managed to get from the traders, and the rose quartzes that Paul insisted on bringing.  Altogether it is worth 10,200*, more than our last artifactual creation.  The most interesting thing on it, to my mind, is the cave spider silk image of a cave spider silk chausse which decorates it.  I knew she was odd.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »

9th Sandstone, 1052
Durien's log
T'Malia and the other two planters have gained enough experience that I have pulled Systar off of planting duty, and told her to brew full-time.  The food stocks are stable enough, and we are slowly building up an excess there.  Now it is time to bring the alcohol supplies to the same level.  She was overjoyed at the news, and I will be glad not to hear her grumblings.  I have my hands full dealing with Leo's neverending complaints and Scrubs' daily nagging.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

Leo's Journal

Sounds like we're getting some alcohol production here. Great. At least now I don't have to slave away soberly.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

Paul's Journal, entry 3:
I see that the clothier made something interesting with the rose quartzes I brought. I knew they would get put to good use.

Durien seemed pleased with the idea of clear glass statues, and he's planning to get an ashery up eventually for one or two of them. I'll have to give him a nice bone craft to thank him for taking my suggestions so much.

I also heard there's magma. I hear bad things about fire imps, so I hope we're okay there.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

12th Sandstone, 1052
Durien's log
Imp continues to excavate the magma-use area.  I have drawn up a plan that will allow six forges, three smelters, two glassworks, and one kiln, with room for expansion.  Although we have but two metalworkers and a furnace operator, I hope to recruit other dwarves with skills in metalworking.  This mountain is so loaded with hematite, and other ores, that with the magma I believe there will be several willing to come here, including a good friend of mine.

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

From Bappsie's Diary:

Dear Diary,

Things are starting to heat up around here, and by heat up I mean MAGMA!  Durien took the three of us out to scout a magma pipe.  It's fully of ugly little creatures, and they're so hot they could set my shield on fire!
 Nosey started screaming and charged after one of the critters right off the bat.  His intensity really scares me sometimes, dear diary, and it makes me afraid to spar with him.  I suppose I ought to learn to work with him, though, since it looks like he and Halfman are getting way more practice in than me.  Oh well, I'm sure I can catch up with them.
 ...and I must admit, there was something so cute about the way he ripped the imp's head off with his bare hands.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 01, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

14th Sandstone, 1052
Durien's log
We discovered a goblin snatcher within our halls, but it didn't last long, as one of the soldiers was nearby and took it out without breaking a sweat.  Nosey spent the rest of the day bragging about his training tactics.  Although he is a good soldier, I find that I do not like him very much.  He is too bloodthirsty, always seeking the violent way of solving a military problem.  Nonetheless, I must reiterate that he is a good fighter, and the military is always in need to such dwarves.  
Baer is making good progress on cleaning out the cave, and depending on what she says, I might send Nosey's soldiers in again to take out the troglodytes.  I am sure he will like the idea, though the other, saner, soldiers may not.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 01, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »

19th Sandstone, 1052
Durien's log
The goblin started me thinking.  It is well-known that where there is one, others are sure to follow, and our defenses so far consist only of a palisade with a drawbridge to allow wagon access.  Not very much, all told.  I have begun working on plans for a more comprehensive defense system that will require traps and siege engines.  I have asked T'Malia to take some time away from the fields and build me a siege workshop.  Although I do not think we can spare the wood for building ballistae and catapults yet, I want to feel as if I am making some progress.  She was quite pleased, as I expected.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 01, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »

Systar's Log
9th Sandstone

A reprieve!  I'm off farming duty for now!  In addition, we've located the magma, and Nosey, our resident berserker, has already charged in and slaughtered a magma creature.  Hopefully it'll be clear enough soon for construction.

13th Sandstone

The chamber is being prepared, but I'm worried about the magma creatures.  I'm sure they will slow down progress.  I've got a plan, though-  I need to brew up a nice strong batch, get Nosey drunker, and egg him on until he flips again and goes on a rampage against the magma creatures.  While he's clearly very strong, I think he's a bit addled, so it shouldn't be hard to push him that way.  We'll see.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32