Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19235 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

Current list of named dwarf activities:
Imp: Mining, engraving, constructing mechanisms
Leo: various mason jobs, engraving
Systar: mostly engraving and farming, some brewing and mining when needed, she's the one who freed Leo after his walling incident
Rice: more masonry jobs, bridge and support building
Baer: currently resting due to a red right lower arm injury
Grekk: furnace operating and hauling
Akroma: hauling
Paul: stonecrafting, also making bone/shell armor
Kalen: hauling, stonecrafting, some masonry
Imeka: planting, hauling
C. Hezman: hauling, engraving
T'Malia: planting (mostly), some architect jobs
Scrubs: wood burning
Halfman: sparring (he is now a skilled wrestler)
Nosey: sparring (he is also a skilled wrestler, but with more XP than Halfman)
Bappsie: sparring (she is a wrestler and novice shield user)
Dogar: currently hauling and alternating with Grekk in the smelter

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

I don't feel like searching through this thread for it, so could someone kindly recap the 'walling incident'? I must have missed it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

17th Hematite, 1052
Durien's log
The traders brought a lot of food, particularly meat.  Although it is not fresh, it will help to supplement our other local supplies, and so I got as much as I could.  They didn't have an anvil, saying that dwarves did not normally need such, and it was rather embarrassing having to ask if they had one.  One of the humans has been following me around, much as the liaison did last fall.  I will ask him what he wants once I've had a good sleep...and then a decent meal...and then a drink.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »

@Helmaroc: The walling incident is described about a quarter of the way up from the bottom of page 6.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dame de la Licorne:
<STRONG>Current list of named dwarf activities:
Imp: Mining, engraving, constructing mechanisms
Leo: various mason jobs, engraving
Systar: mostly engraving and farming, some brewing and mining when needed, she's the one who freed Leo after his walling incident
Rice: more masonry jobs, bridge and support building
Baer: currently resting due to a red right lower arm injury
Grekk: furnace operating and hauling
Akroma: plotting
Paul: stonecrafting, also making bone/shell armor
Kalen: hauling, stonecrafting, some masonry
Imeka: planting, hauling
C. Hezman: hauling, engraving
T'Malia: planting (mostly), some architect jobs
Scrubs: wood burning
Halfman: sparring (he is now a skilled wrestler)
Nosey: sparring (he is also a skilled wrestler, but with more XP than Halfman)
Bappsie: sparring (she is a wrestler and novice shield user)
Dogar: currently hauling and alternating with Grekk in the smelter

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]</STRONG>

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

27th Hematite, 1052
Durien's log
It has been nearly a month since Baer was injured, and she has been on bed rest ever since.  I went to speak to her today, and received a shock.  Apparently all of the dwarves here are so selfish that none of them have given her food or water and she was both thirsty and hungry.  I promptly went to the food stockpile to grab some of the meat from the humans, and met her husband on my way back.  I sent him to fetch his wife a bucket of water, and he at least seemed relieved to be able to help her.  Apparently he has been so busy hauling stone and other junk around that he had no time to ease Baer's suffering.  I am glad to say that she is resting more easily now, and I have great hopes for her recovery.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

12th Malachite, 1052
Durien's log
Baer is throwing a tantrum while I write this.  She is clearly not the type of dwarf who enjoys being idle, and according to her son and husband, much prefers to be outside doing something.  I hope she will calm down soon, but at least she must be feeling better.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

Akroma's log 12th Malachite

One of the dwarves is throwing a tantrum. Hopefully the local "military" will take care of her, leaving me with enough of her body to recover.

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

Heh, the "Kalen has no friends or aquantainces" thing is working out just how I wanted it to go.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

20th Malachite, 1052
Durien's log
I have finally decided to meet with the human guild representative.  She asked me what we would like the humans to bring on their next return, and top of my list is an anvil.  I was most embarrassed to be forced to ask humans for an anvil, but we need the anvil, and I do not trust the Baron to allow the dwarves to bring us one.  At least the humans are beyond his reach, I think.  I also asked for food and drink, even though the human drink is inferior to our own, it should supplement our stocks.  In return, she wished us to make crossbows and battle axes, as well as armor.  Humans have always been a war-like race, unlike we dwarves.  I did manage to convince her that more crafts, such as crowns and earrings would not come amiss, however, so I do not think the lack of weapons and armor in next year's trades will be a big deal.  
I noticed that Dogar also spent time with the humans, no doubt acquiring more of that noxious human tobacco.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

5th Galena, 1052
Durien's log
I was taking a rare break in the meeting areas, and got to talking with Baer's lad.  He seems to be a calm, steady boy, but had one complaint that he wasn't shy about making.  He claimed that this fort, although well-laid out and of comfortable dimensions, still resembled a hole in the ground.  After a bit of thought, and some closer observation, I must conclude that the young Portalelders lad is right.  There are many sections where the stone is still rough-hewn from the mining, and there are no decorations or engravings of any kind.  I asked Leo, Rice and Kalen to make some statues of our dwarven heroes to place in strategic places.  I also went to our engravers, including Systar and Leo (again) to smooth more of the stone.  I will consider where to place some engravings, to display them to maximum effect.  Leo, predictably, complained about the extra work, but began to carve the statues happily enough.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

Kalen's Log, 5th Galena, 1052.
Argh, more work as always. Durien has comissioned that some statues be built commemorating the heroes of this giant hole. Personally, I don't see why we should, as I've never even seen any of these so-called heroes actually do anything besides spar. S'not like I've got much else to do, though. And, if I refused the order, Nosey's fist would probably run right into my face for failing to do it. Strange fellow, he is...
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »

16th Galena, 1052
Durien's log
While Imp was carving out some more sleeping quarters to accomodate the spring arrivals, she struck a native copper vein.  The copper will come in very handy, I'm sure.

Meanwhile...
Akroma sidled up to Dogar where he was working in the smelter, seeming not to mind the cloud of smoke roiling up from Dogar's pipe.
"Can I speak to you a moment?"  Akroma had to shout to be heard, not exactly what he'd had in mind.
Dogar glanced at him, then shrugged.  "I was about to take a break anyhow."
With the smelting machinery silent, Akroma could now speak much more softly.
"I heard that a copper vein has been found.  I'm sure that you will be one of the first dwarves to have access to it, being an armorsmith, and I'd like to commission something."
"What sort of sumthin'?"  Asked Dogar, sounding bored.
"A few copper pipes, that's all.  It doesn't sound like much, but they must be of the highest quality possible, in both material and manufacture."
"I'm not a metalcrafter.  I make armor, not toys.  Find someone else to make yer stuff."  And Dogar went back to work.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Paul's Diary, entry 2:
The other dwarves are decorating the fort with some statues and engravings. I've seen a couple clear glass statues, and they are quite impressive. I'll ask for one where it won't contrast too sharply with the stone statues.

[OOC: Clear glass is annoying to make, as it takes four steps and three pieces of wood (one piece if you have magma, but you don't). You need to burn a piece of wood into ash, and two into charcoal. At an ashery, make potash out of the ash and then make the potash into pearlash (requires fuel) at a kiln. Then use the pearlash with some sand at a glass furnace (requires fuel, of course).]

I'm quite happily making some bone armor, and Durien made a good argument that it's pretty hard to make bone plate armor. I see that much. But the cave is pretty daunting, and they'll need some iron.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

3rd Limestone, 1052
Durien's log
Baer is back on her feet, and is planning to hunting some more.  I met with her yesterday, and asked her to explore the surrounding area as carefully as may be.  We did not do so when we first arrived, being too frightened of the hydra and the nefarious cave creatures, and since we have been too busy turning a rough mining shaft into a home.  I especially requested that she search for the magma that the fire man called home.  If it is not placed too far from our stronghold, it would be an ideal location for our metal- and glassworks.  She agreed with alacrity, and seemed to me relieved to be returning to the outside world.  Rangers really are odd, considering any normal dwarf wants to remain as deeply underground as possible.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32