Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19217 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 09:01:00 pm »

From the Journal of Leo

Looks like that Baron set us up. There seems to be a hydra living somewhere around here, and that cave is a little creepy. I suppose I'll have some mining to do. Always working, wasting away in this terrible place. That's the fate of us all, I say.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

1st of Granite, 1051

Journal of Rice

Well looks like we're in the middle of nowhere. It's a good thing I know how to work stone so well, cause when the miners start working I'll be building walls to keep those dastardly critters out of our fortress. On that note I'll be making myself a fine place to eat and sleep too!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

And the rest of the personality pages:

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »

SWEET! You got it so that my guy was a loner sort of. But he is a ... she. Oh well, thats ok. At least it will make sense!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

2nd Granite, 1051
Durien's log
I've asked the three miners to carve us out a safe hiding place within the rock of this place.  If there's anything we have a lot of it's rock.  I'll also get a defense perimeter up as soon as there's some free stone available.  The sooner we're safely underground, the happier I'll be.  Yesterday I noticed some trees to the southwest of us, and I believe I'll take the axe and see about chopping a few down.  Even wooden palisades are better than none, and I'll take the dangerous task as it appears to be my fault we're all in this situation.  At least, if the others are also in disfavor, they haven't given a hint.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Halfman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

I've been lurking and reading a bunch of these threads... Since this one is starting up I'd love to have a dwarf.
Set me in the military to train me. Than send me off to hunt...
Pref Name is : Halfman

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 09:21:00 pm »

Paul was a rich dwarf, with a decent ability to make all sorts of crafts. His preference for bone disturbed some people, but nothing usually came of it.

He had been friends with the fortress tax collector, and had carved him a miniature rhesus macaque out of rhesus macaque bones, for the irony of it. It was very realistic, as Paul had worked very hard on it.

Soon, Paul got a chance to go to a party held by the tax collector. The duke had been talking about doing work and not partying all the time, but none of the dwarves really listened to him much anyway.

Paul gave the tax collector a small box with the rhesus model in it, which he opened.

Little did Paul know that the tax collector's parents had starved to death after their food was taken by rhesus macaques.

"Is this some kind of joke?" the tax collector said. An awkward silence rose.

"Joke? No," Paul responded. He knew that the tax collector's father had been a bone carver, so he decided to lighten the mood a bit. "Your father would have been proud, eh?" The tax collector pulled his fist back, preparing to punch.

"Goblins in the fortress!" someone shouted. Everyone rushed to check if anyone had died and dropped a souvenir from the battle, but the military was already fighting back the goblins effectively.

"Who forgot to finish that wall?" someone said while most of the dwarves were trying to get as good a look as possible at the battle as they could. Paul turned around, and saw that there was hole in the wall that wasn't fixed because the dwarves were busy partying.

"More goblins!" a craftsdwarf said, immediately before his chest was pierced with an arrow that managed to hit his heart, his spleen, and both lungs at the same time. Several bowgoblins rushed through the gap, shooting into the crowd of civilian dwarves.

In the end, many dwarves died in that battle due to the dwarves' love for parties. The person who held the party was to be exiled, and the tax collector held a lot of influence in the fort, so when he said that Paul did it, nobody said anything in his defense.

"I'll leave in the next caravan out," Paul had said.

"You're leaving now," the duke said. Paul was thrown out of the fortress, with only the clothes on his back. He walked to the nearest fortress and met six other dwarves that were preparing to leave on their own, to a small but promising outpost on a distant mountainside...

Wow, that's the first real story I've written about DF. It was fun.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

2nd Granite, 1051

Well, at least I'm down here digging instead of out there near that Kurol-forsaken cave of horrors. I mean, I could probably hold out for awhile by m'self, but still...

Anyhow, at least this place en't all bad. Durien says he saw a couple trees down south of us, and there's plenty of rock here, so we won't be lacking in materials.

Come to think of it, with all of this stuff just lying around, I might could do a couple more experiments 'n such. Of course, I'll have to persuade Durien, but that can't be too hard...

Can it?

(You can probably guess why she got exiled.  ;))

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

2nd Granite, evening
Durien's log
After walking all around that part of the area today, I realized that there is no access to the thickly forested region several hundred feet below.  When I mentioned this to the others over the evening meal, my good friend Imp promptly offered to carve some stairs.  Leo and Systar are making good progress on our retreat, and with me to watch her back, the task should not prove too risky.  And as we will need the wood, I agreed.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

Heya, mind if I take a migrant?

Name: Kalen.
Profession: Mason.
Personality: Loner, doesn't make friends easily. However, he/she has 'Loyalty' as a main character trait. Only applies to those who he/she actually likes, which is a rare occurance in and of itself.

Entry'll come on his/her arrival at what I'm sure will become a splendid fortress.

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

3rd Granite, 1051
Durien's log
I now have access to the trees, thanks to Imp.  While she was carving the stairs, I began drawing up plans for our new home.  Defense is, of course, the main priority, but we must also find a way of producing our own food, for any foraging here is fraught with danger.  I do not blame my friends and companions for remaining close to the hole in the ground.  It is currently our only safety, meager though it may be.  At least I had the forethought to bring some plump helmet spawn, though I now wish I had brought more.  Ten spawn are not much too stave off hunger.  But with all the peat, they should grow well when we get the opportunity to plant them.
Leo attempted to play his drum for us this evening.  But drumming carries a fair distance, and so we pleaded with him to desist, for fear of attracting...unwanted guests.  Poor Leo sulked, but cheered up when I promised him that once safely underground, he would be able to play whenever he wanted.  He is now digging again, hoping to speed things up.  I hope he does not exhaust himself, for we need every dwarf.

[OOC: I've started a waitlist, and will attempt to match up dwarves as I get them.]

Edit: typo

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 10:19:00 pm »

7th Granite, 1051
Durien's log
The miners have been working overtime and the entryway of the fortress is now completely mined out.  All it lacks are traps.  Several of the dwarves, among them Paul McCartney and Imp, have volunteered to make the various components and build them.  It will give all of us a sense of security, however false it may be.  Unfortunately, we must first have the necessary materials and workshops, and we have had other priorities.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

8th Granite, 1051
Durien's log
The miners have taken a break from their work underground, and are busy removing the slopes near the entrance, hoping to give us a little more warning, should the other denizens grow too curious.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

13th Granite, 1051
Durien's log
Barely a hundred feet, which is to say two levels below our current location, the miners have reported striking damp dirt, indicating only one thing.  There is an aquifer below us.  Although the miners say it will be difficult to get through, I find myself relieved.  I had not wished to think of it, but should the worst happen and we run out of alcohol, at least we will not die ignominiously of thirst.  I have asked Imp, as the only mechanic and a senior miner, to think of a way through the aquifer to the stone below.  I will also consider, but as it is not my area of expertise I am unsure how much use I will be.  
For now we have other concerns, such as completing the palisade that I have begun building with the logs, and making our new quarters as comfortable as we can.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »

14th Granite, 1051
Durien's log
Finally!  The miners have hollowed out a small room in which we have decided to store all of our supplies.  The food and drink are most important, but we each have some personal items that we would wish safe.  The sleeping quarters are next on the list, which means that I will have to take some time to make beds that we may sleep more comfortably.  Sleeping on the ground isn't so bad, but it has been our lot since last fall and I am tired of it.  I am sure the others feel the same.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32