Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19237 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #135 on: February 29, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

26th Felsite, 1052
Durien's log
I shall relate the events that occurred to the best of my knowledge according to the various reports I have a received.  Baer went hunting today, as she does every day, heading for the cave where it seems the best harvest is available.  Our plant gatherer was on a cliff above with Imeka and saw the latter part of the events related here.  Several hundred yards from the opening, Baer reports that she was startled by a stream of fire that she just barely managed to dodge.  She was surprised, because she had not thought that any fire-breathers were present in the area, and turned around to find the source of the blast.  She saw a fire man not hundred feet away, already preparing another blast.  Although any sane dwarf would run from such a creature, she showed no fear, according to the observers above.  Baer charged the thing, firing four bolts into the creature and dodging two more blasts of fire.  She remembers nothing of the end of the battle, and the two dwarves above can give no details of the confusion.  One moment there was a fire man and a dwarf, the next there was a dwarf standing on top of a pile of ashes amidst fire man pieces that were scattered in every direction for over twenty feet.  I can only conclude that Baer managed to cause the fire man to explode somehow.
She has certainly gained a reputation within Nokzamoslan, which I doubt will ever be forgotten, both as the bavest, and as the craziest dwarf in the fortress.  I no longer fear for her safety when she hunts, as she has clearly proven that she can deal with anything.
On a more positive note, the presence of the fire man indicates magma somewhere nearby.  We will need to investigate much more thoroughly, but also cautiously for where there is one, there are often more creatures of fire.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 29, 2008, 11:41:00 pm »

Scrub's Log

Scrubs Journal,

At last I have arrived at Nokzamoslan, such a nice little town out here in the middle of no-where. I particularily like the name, translated from the old tounge roughly as "The Chamber of Soaring", it's a good transition from the previous few weeks. The journey was unbearable, water sources were few and far between in the migrant caravan, and we only carried enough drink with us to make it to the fortress. Even my personal stockpile of soap was worn down from over twenty bars to a mere half of one. What's worse, the other migrants refused to talk much in our travels, insisting that our timly arrival was more important than talking, or telling me to "save my breath", the nerve!

Almost immidiatly after our arrival a dwarf calling himself Durien raced to the meeting hall that our soon-to-be neighbors led us too, hardly stopping to throw a thick log he was carrying into a haphazard stockpile. On my arrival I was appaled, much like many of the others here (and myself at the time) he was filthy. Covered from beard to flank in wood chips and stone dust. He spent a short time "interviewing" each of us, asking what jobs we did well before sending us on our way. Of course, I couldn't tell him I was a soaper. It's a well-known fact that many skilled soapers are so discriminated against and immediatly thrown into the military, so I told him that I would be more than willing to burn charcol, especially given the lack of wood burners in the fortress. However, I think my nickname may have tipped him off since ever since our interview he has been avoiding me.

Of course, before starting work I was able to get a good look at the entire structure as well as the state of it's inhabitants. It's a sad state it is, several of our military are nursing wounds, sitting in a bed that's covered in a mixture of their own blood and messy mud. I've taken to changing their bedding in my spare time (which isn't much, I'm afraid. To enshure that this fortress is healthy and happy I often find myself running from workshop to workshop when the owner is away, butchering, rendering fat, burning wood. Once I convince our leader that soap is a neccecity, especially considering the danger of infection for our military, I should be able to concentrate on simply making soap, as is my calling.), and I'm starting to think a few of them are beginning to like me. However, most of the incapacitated are delirious anyway and I doubt they will all remember me after they recover.

On another note, I was finally able to find the perfect location for a shower. However, Durien laughed quite loudly the first time I presented him the blueprints and has been trying his best to avoid me since. However he has more than once seemed mildly intriqued by the idea that sickness is caused by tiny monsters, claiming that such a thing isn't totally unbelivable. Perhaps I could try working on some of the other founders for a time. Grekk, the resident weaponsmith and impressive speardwarf, and Bappsie, the wrestler, seemed particularily interested in improving the quality of health for our soldiers, and Hezman was nearly falling over herself to voulenteer to help me run the pumps (must be a milker thing, for some odd reason she hates purring maggots too. However she does occationally give our resident livestock a strange look.)

Well now Journal, my shift will be approaching soon. I suppose I'll be able to spend my next few hours working on the showers blueprint. I just realized that we could place an engraving mold on the floor and pour gold bars into the walls to get engraved gold walls, add in a gold statue in the middle and have the water pour right and we could make the best meeting hall/party room on this side of the continent, the beautiful mist and the masterful statue comforting everyone who passed though and averting the destructive madness that seems to perment our race. I'm certain if I put it right I can convince Durien to see things my way (and get everyone clean, especially if easy-acess soap is put in all four corners of the room!)

That was fun. I had to hunt about to find dwarves who liked new ideas that I could get to support me and Durient was one of the three. :3 The gold, while being slightly ludicris for the amount it would take, I tried to pull from Scrubs likes, of which gold is the more expensive and better-looking. Attached to the back of this page is a small diagram of scrubs dwarf-washer.

code:

W = Engraved gold wall
E = Engraved floor, covered in gold.
G = Gold grate
U = Solid gold Statue
O = Soap holder
D = door
w = Normal wall (rough-hewn)
(space) = Normal floor
C = channel
R = Gear Assembly if possible, if not we can dwarf-power it.

Main room

WDW
 WEW
WWWDWWW
WOEEEOW
WEGGGEW
WEGUGEW
WEGGGEW
WOEEEOW
WWWDWWW
 WEW
 WDW

upper floor (2-3 levels up. High enough so that we have acess to water) Perhaps we could simply breach the aquifer from below?
Let it funnel into the chasm once built? If not, from the top of the aquifer

WWWWWWWRWW
 WC    PPCW
 WWWWWWWWWW

Drainage system - Should channel into the chasm once we find it.  
:D If we don't we can try and pump it back into the aquifer.

WWWWW
 WC CW
 W   W
 WC CW
 WWWWW

Annnd, that's all. Scrubs out!

Edit : Streatched the page.

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2008, 03:26:00 am »

Oh for Armok's sake, Dogar Breathlancers? I love it   :D
---
on 2nd Felsite, 1052.
Dogar was more than a little disheartened when he finally saw his new home. Do dwarves actually live here? Oh well, mustn't grumble. After all, it's the only place that doesn't have any loyalty to the Baron that I could get to with such short notice.
He'd heard some nasty rumors about the place, but he was pretty sure they were simply exaggerating. Surely no-one would be daft enough to build a fort next to a Hydra! Well, off to see the foreman. Surely they have enough room at the forge for an extra armorsmith.

2nd Felsite was a day full of disappointments.

Hopefully, I'll at least have a chance to do some proper smelting. Get the feel of the local iron quickly, that sort of thing.

EDIT: added italics for clarity.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: nahkh ]

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2008, 03:38:00 am »

request time:

As already hinted at in the log, Akroma is trying to escavate a secret room, somewhere where people cannot see the entrance. It should contain a bed, a chair, a table, a pool with water, a small stack of glass pipes, and later a stack of copper pipes. Also, a copper dagger that will be looted from the kobolds. If there is magma around, try to connect it to the magma as well. Inside, build an alchemy workshop, assign it to Akroma. Also some chests.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

Nosey's Official Journal:

SHERIFF!? WHY!? Being placed in a position where my job is to stand around all day, put criminals in Jail, and walk around aimlessly!? My job, my LIFE is on the Battlefield! Sure I'll get a bigger room, nice little office, dining room.... But the Barracks, the smell of oiled leather, of polished metal, the days old smell of blood from a rookie soldier.... That's where I belong!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2008, 08:48:00 am »

@Akroma: I'll see what I can do.
@Nosey: If you really don't want to be sheriff, I'll assign someone else.  You're still activated military, so still sparring/soldiering.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Imeka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

Imekas secret diary:

Wilderness, Date unknown:
Baer the ranger informed us today that we will arrive Nokzamoslan in some days. I'm glad, my feet are hurting and I really would appreciate sleeping in a bed and not outside on the ground. Also some booze would be nice. I've studied the other while we were travelling and I think I'll have no trouble playing a peasant, since from what I've heard carrying around stuff is all what they ever do.

3rd felsite, 1052:
Yesterday we arrived in Nokzamoslan. I was shocked when I saw this hole in the ground, I couldn't believe that to be really the place I will spend the next year in! Shortly after our arrival a dwarf introduced himself as Durien, the Leader of the outpost. He warned us abount a cave and a hydra living nearby. Oh well, another reason to hate this place. I wonder if the barons son knew about this, surely he wouldn't have chosen this place for our bet if he knew? While wondering about it I missed something Durien said to me, so he had to repeat it. Apparently he got the impression that I am a weaver and sent me to build a new loom. I know how to see the quality of cloth and the style it was weaved, but nothing at all about how to weave it! So instead of resting from the journey  I immediately constructed the loom with some help of the resident clothier. If I ever find some free time I will have to practice secretly.

5h felsite:
Not much progress on my secret learning project, sadly. I have been busy all day and now I will have to do even more work, since I was asingned to help in the fields. At least no one expects me to have any experience in this...

24th felsite:
Looking at the last date I wrote into this diary I'm not surprised. All my bones hurt from the unfamiliar work and whenever I have some free time I'm simply too tired to do anything else than rest - or secretly practicing weaving! I think I finally can call me a Novice weaver. Although being tired and sore, I'm conted at actually doing something useful.

26th felsite:
I wish I could return home immediatly. Today I was up on the cliff helping our plantgatherer when we spotted Bear who now hunts for us down below. She was ambushed by a fire man! And instead of running away she charged it! Not wanting to see her die I looked away, but after no further sound of battle was heard I just had to see the outcome. I wish I hadn't looked, the sight of the mangled fire man was awful. Now everytime I venture outside I fear to be ambushed, since I'm not as strong and fearless as Bear.

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://heiteinah.deviantart.com
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2008, 09:02:00 am »

May i claim the first glassmaker/worker that comes by the next or upcoming migrant wave?
quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2008, 09:07:00 am »

@Ed-: Added to the list, what do you want to call him/her?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

3rd Hematite, 1052
Durien's log
I had asked Baer to see if she could locate the magma vent, but as she is currently resting due to the injuries incurred in her encounter with the fire man, that will have to wait.  I have, however, given more thought to Scrubs' theory that filth causes dwarves to heal more slowly once they are injured, and I have looked at his plan for the shower.  The first thing I noticed was that it requires a chasm!  We currently don't have access to one, and even if we did I would still hesitate.  However, I believe that we can set up a much simpler design, more of a wading pool through which the dwarves can walk while going about their duties.  I suppose I will have to speak to Scrubs and see what he thinks.  Something along these lines:
code:

R = ramp
W = wall
~ = water
P = pump
F = floor
_ = channel

aquifer level:
  WWWWW
WWWWR~RW
W~WW~~RW
WWWWR~RW
  WWWWW

one level above:

WWWWWWWW
FFFFR_RF
F_PP__RF
FFFFR_RF
WWWWWWWW

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2008, 09:33:00 am »

5th Hematite, 1052
Durien's log
Leo was building a wall for Nosey's bedroom, and managed to trap himself in between the bedroom and the dining room.  Needless to say, by the time we heard his cries and got him out, he was not very happy.  Less than usual I mean.  But I must say it's his own fault for being idiotic enough as to wall himself in.  If it happens again I may leave him there.  It would save us the trouble of building a tomb, and serve as an example to the others that stupidity will not be tolerated here.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2008, 10:03:00 am »

Interesting notes:
1)Kalen has absolutely no friends or acquaintances of any kind at this point.
2)All members of a single family worship the same deity (so far).

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://heiteinah.deviantart.com
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2008, 10:05:00 am »

Well, call him / her Reinhold.

The only requirement is to like Clear Glass.

You might as well do whatever you want with him / her. But, remember do to a thing or two made of glass if possible.

quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2008, 10:15:00 am »

13th Hematite, 1052
Durien's log
Another trade caravan arrived today.  Humans this time.  At least humans and dwarves understand each other, unlike those good-for-nothing elves.  Apparently rumor travels fast and far, because the first thing they said was "Is this Nokzamoslan?" and the second was "Where's the hydra?"  We reassured them that the hydra remained, for the most part, on the opposite side from where they entered, though they didn't seem too happy and kept glancing over their shoulders.  I suppose, living near him as we do, we have become accustomed to him to some extent.  I shall trade with them tomorrow, and see what they have brought.  I will also have to give some thought to building some sort of road, for their wagons could not handle the ground here and so moved on without stopping, leaving two heavily-laden camels to make the trek to reach us.

Halfman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

(OOC: can you give us an update on what everyone is doing? My character isn't a main one so i don't hear about him a lot.)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32