Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19231 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #120 on: February 29, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

1st Felsite, 1052
Durien's log
Grekk, crazy dwarf that she is, apparently decided to venture into the cave alone in spite of my command to all dwarves to leave it alone until those within have been dealt with.  I do not know why she decided to enter, but she has managed to kill a naked mole dog that she encountered, sustaining some minor injuries in the process.  I suppose I should count myself fortunate that she did not think to venture down to where the troglodytes nest on the fourth level, for one dwarf against eight or nine of those would have ended in tragedy for us all.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 29, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

2nd migrant wave is as follows:
1 mechanic (male)
1 fisherdwarf (female) turned soldier
1 fisherdwarf (female)
1 weaver (male) turned soldier
1 ranger (female) -> DoctrZombie
1 peasant (male)
1 child (male)
1 craftsdwarf (female)
1 engraver (female)
1 peasant (male) -> nakh
1 milker (female) -> Zr04
1 woodcrafter (female)
1 soaper (male) -> Jamini
1 jeweler (female) turned soldier
1 peasant (male) turned soldier
1 weaver (female) -> Imeka
1 woodcutter (female)
1 butcher (female)
1 furnace operator (female)
another cat
a puppy
2 horse foals

@Zr04: I can give you the milker if you don't want to wait for an actual cheesemaker.  Otherwise the milker is joining her companions in the military.

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

ZrO4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 29, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

Yeah that is sufficently useless to be good. Profession: Fluidics operator

She is slightly paranoid and so likes to chase vermin around with a trap. Otherwise it is engraving. If a chasm is around any chance of a purring maggot or 2?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 29, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »

2nd Felsite, 1052
Durien's log
I will never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of some dwarves.  More immigrants have arrived today.  Though I would not be surprised at the occasional trickling in of a small handful of dwarves, seeing how the Baron likes to deal with those who cross him, I would never have expected so many at once.  Nineteen!  Nineteen dwarves have decided, willingly or otherwise, to make Nokzamoslan their home.  Some of them are here in exile, I do not wonder at those.  But some have actually come willingly!  And brought their families!  They must be either crazy, stupid, or suicidal, and I cannot decide which would frighten me most.  Nonetheless, I have decided to hold a survival crash course, to inform the newcomers about the hydra and the cave.  I trust they will heed the warnings, but if any are suicidal, I doubt whether it will be a great loss to the fort.  Several of them have already come to my attention.
Dogar, apparently, wants to make armor.  I informed him that we currently have no forge, but once we do he is welcome to the task.  The one thing that really bothers me about him is the cloud of smoke that wafts in his wake wherever he goes.  It seems he loves the human-style tobacco as much as another dwarf loves a drink.  I hope he doesn't poison us all.
Scrubs came bustling up to me almost as soon as he entered the front gates, demanding to know if there was a conveniently placed source of water within the fort.  I explained about the aquifer, and he seemed pleased, saying something about a 'shower', whatever that is.
The leader of the group is a ranger called Baerolyn, and is responsible for getting them here safely.  I have heard rumors of the rangers, that they live in the wilderness, forsaking the mountainhomes for months and even years on end.  It seems these migrants lost several dwarves before meeting up with her, and I am certain she will be an asset to us, for however long she remains.
One of the weavers that has joined us is named Imeka.  When I informed her that she would need to build a loom, and help our clothier with her craft, Imeka just looked at me as if I were speaking in the goblintongue, completely uncomprehending.  I had to repeat myself before she seemed to understand, but she displayed a noticeable lack of enthusiasm at the information.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 29, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

From Leo's Journal

More fools have arrived today-a wagonload, too. I can't wait till the hydra pays a visit and has a snack or two.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 29, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »

3rd Felsite, 1052
Durien's log
Scrubs came charging up to me today, saying he had found the perfect spot for his 'shower'.  Right in the middle of the second-level hallway, the highest-trafficked area in the entire fort.  He wants to make a waterfall there to clean the dwarves.  Clean the dwarves!  Who ever heard of a clean dwarf?  Other than an infant.  Not only that, but it seems the milker, who calls herself C. Hezman, is willing to operate the pumps necessary for the operation.  I informed them both that I would not allow it, and that should be the end of the matter.
I have gone through the entire list of immigrants who arrived yesterday, and I have decided to send several of them to train with Nosey, Halfman and Bappsie.  We need more soldiers.

[OOC: I'm going to have fun with this one.  And there is a chasm, according to the presence of certain creatures on the unit list, but I haven't found it yet.]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 29, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

Since the ruler of our civ is a Queen, I've decided be different and to name families by the matriarchal mode of inheritance.  Of course, if for the purpose of character stories someone wants to be named by the patriarchal mode, just let me know.

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 29, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

From Bappsie's Journal-

Wow!  This place is getting popular!  I guess word of mouth really spreads fast.  We've got some new recruits to come spar with us, and that's always fun.  We'll need some more soldiers to handle all those ugly, UGLY troggo-thingies in the cave.  I wish there were more giant rats.  They're kind of cute, and they make the sweetest little squeaking sound whenever I smash their heads in with my shield.
 While I hate using this blasted tree-flesh, I am rather enjoying bapping things with my shield.  Maybe I'll never take on a weapon, and instead become a shielddwarf!  I'll need excellent shield skills if I'm ever going to go back and get that sapphire...

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 29, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »

More people, more recruits... If they steal my kills, I will surely be one sour dwarf amongst many...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »

5th Felsite, 1052
Durien's log
With the influx of mouths to feed, food shortage will very quickly become a problem, and production must be increased.  To that end, a couple of dwarves, including Imeka, have been assigned to help T'Malia in the fields and I have asked the fisherdwarf to see what can be caught in the few pools outside.  In addition, I have asked one dwarf to see what plants can be gathered.  Baerolyn, who has asked to be called Baer, has agreed to hunt for us, and they have all been warned of the hydra.  Though the area outside our walls is dangerous, we must have the food.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 29, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

9th Felsite, 1052
Paul was very put out when the new craftsdwarf appeared in the doorway of his shop and without so much as a by-your-leave, shoved him out.  She then proceeded to march up the stairs to his personal stockpile, returning with no less than three of the best stones, including the one he had been working on, completely ignoring his rapidly escalating protests and curses.  Furious, he went to speak to Durien.  Perhaps the leader could get her to return his workshop.

Upon hearing Paul's complaints, Durien went down to speak to the dwarf, but was ignored just as totally.  He turned to Paul.  "Sorry old friend, I can't do anything.  I'll speak to the sheriff."  And then he chuckled, "As soon as we have a sheriff.  I'll see which of our military dwarves wants the job."
"But..but..." spluttered Paul.  "I can't carve anything without my workshop!"
"There's another one just across the hall.  Can't you use that one?"
"Kalen's in it."
"But your skill is superior, right?  So you have the right to kick her out if you want."
Paul nodded slowly.  "Alright, but that's my workshop!"

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 29, 2008, 09:29:00 pm »

11th Felsite, 1052
Durien's log
Baer has returned today, carrying a ratman corpse for our butchers.  I asked her where she had found the ratman and she said there was a nicely stocked cave not too far away.  Although I must question her sanity in going there, I for one will be glad to have fresh meat tonight.
I have also named Nosey as our Sheriff, based on his reported experience at Cursemountains.  I trust he will not disappoint me.  His first task is to deal with that craftsdwarf.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 29, 2008, 10:19:00 pm »

15th Felsite, 1052
Durien's log
Having more experience with the unfairness of certain dispensors of justice than I care to think about, I accompanied Nosey when he went to speak to the craftsdwarf, to act as a witness should it become necessary.  As we approached the workshop, we heard shouts and cries, which can only be described as...gleeful.  It seems the craftsdwarf had completed her project and she proudly displayed it to us.
It's an andesite bracelet, worth 4,800* to my experienced eye.  More than everything Paul and Kalen had managed to make put together.  She had encrusted it with andesite, and added menacing spikes of andesite.  She had also included a picture of dwarves traveling, clearly commemorating her journey, and it was made of, you guessed it, andesite.  She is rightly very proud of it, but even that did not keep her from receiving a severe lecture on proper manners at this fort.  Even I was somewhat intimidated by Nosey, although he did not actually strike her.  He just got his point across very loudly and with a great deal of gesticulation.  By the end the craftsdwarf was much more subdued and swore by her god, Onol, that she would never steal another dwarf's workshop again.  Nosey sent her on her way, and I went to find Paul to tell him the news.

ZrO4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 29, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

Life sucks when you are a milker and hate purring maggots. Ah well nothing for it, if anything the hate will help ensure a better maggot puree.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 29, 2008, 10:41:00 pm »

20th Felsite, 1052
Durien's log
Scrubs has begun making charcoal at the wood furnace.  Clearly he is a useful dwarf, in spite of his unfortunate obsession with cleanliness.  He makes a point of finding me at least once a day to nag me about building his shower.  It has become a sort of ritual between the two of us.  A ritual similar to the game the children play, hide-and-seek.  So far he has always managed to find me, for there are few hiding places in this fort, small as it is.  The other dwarves are as disgusted by Scrubs' obsession as I, but they are clearly amused by our daily interactions.  Kurol knows there is precious little amusement in this place.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32