Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)  (Read 19214 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

I enjoyed writing (and playing) Cursemountains, so with its demise I've decided to try another fort.  The fort's name is Nokzamoslan (Battlewinds) and, unless someone has a better suggestion, the group name is The Wayward Dagger.  So, you all know the drill.  I need six volunteers, backstories welcome but not required, to join me in exile.  Each dwarf will receive 294 points to spend on whatever they want to bring.  I will claim the expedition leader with the skills: Novice Judge of Intent, Novice Persuader, Appraiser, Competent Pacifier, Competent Consoler.  I will also be bringing 2 war dogs, 20 dwarven rum, 20 dwarven wine, 30 dwarven beer, 10 plump helmet spawn and 10 turtle.

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamoslan, the exiles (a community fortress)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

Give me a dwarf with these skills:
Stone Crafter
Novice Glassmaker
Competent Bone Carver
Wood Crafter
Novice Gem Cutter
Novice Gem Setter

Get me three tower cap serrated discs with what's left over, and a few gems worth 15 monies, and do what you want with the rest.

I demand that my room be guarded by a weapon trap containing those tower cap serrated discs. All other weapons in that weapon trap must have been made by me with glassmaking.

That is all.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

penguino, do you want a name for your alternate ego?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

Oh can a join? And is there a general reason we are being exiled or anything? Anyway I'd like to take:

3 points into mason
3 points into Architect
2 points into wrestler
1 point into swimming
2 dogs (16 each right?)

The rest can be split up into booze and food for the group, although I would like to request that I have my own dining room with a GOLD THRONE because my dwarf is anti-social. If custom  names are ok can you name him Rice?

Edit: That should cost only 84 points if dogs are 16

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: ricemastah ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

Name him Paul McCartney, since I've been doing that with all my dwarves recently.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

I'll take a dwarf. Name him Imp and give him the following skills:
Miner
Competent Mechanic
Proficient Swordsdwarf

Bring along a copper pick and whatever material sword you want. As for the rest, can I bring some leather armor?

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

I'll join in

Name him Leo
3 points into miner
3 points into mason
2 points into engraving
1 war dog (his guard dog, assign it to him please)
1 brass musical instrument

The rest of the points for whatever you need.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

I enjoyed being in your last one, so I'll grab an early spot.

Systar

Proficient Brewer
Novice Miner (I'll be a secondary miner)
Novice Engraver (That too)
Competent Furnace Operator

As for items, a copper pick, 20 units of my booze of choice, a kitten, two dogs, and fill the rest with whatever the fort needs.

I'll give a backstory after I see the main one.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

Give me the most psychologically unstable looking dwarf you've got. Call him Grekk and make him a proficient weaponsmith/speardwarf.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

Alright, we're all here, so I will go get this thing started.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

Ah, looks like I missed the start. Once you get immigrants can I have a male weaponsmith? Call him Dogar. (if weaponsmiths are impractical/unnecessary during the first immigration wave, have him do stonecrafts until the metal industry gets built)

EDIT: I'll write backstory once I get to see his info. Are journal entries allowed?

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: nahkh ]

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

Journal entries are encouraged.  I like reading your interpretations/points of view, and it helps me write the story.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

Leo has a shady past, no one really knows where he is from or what his intentions are. He is very jumpy, and some dwarves used to scare him for a good laugh, but will become enraged when teased. He can be heard playing his [insert whatever the instrument turns out to be] in his room, but whenever someone confronts him he stops and becomes grumpy again. He often is seen mumbling when given orders or while working, and there is a rumor that he once strangled a dwarf to death, and most dwarves believe it. His only true friend is his dog, who he loves very much and treats with care.

Not really a journal entry, by the way.

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

12th Sandstone,1055
Excerpt from Durien's log
Well, it is irrevocable now.  We depart tomorrow for Nokzamoslan, six other dwarves and I.  Although I believed myself familiar with all outposts of Mafol Umam, I have never heard of this one, and can only assume that it has only been established in the last year or two.  The Baron, however, assures us that this outpost is well-situated and lacks only a few well-skilled dwarves to become important.  I am puzzled as to why he would help us, after our...disagreement some weeks ago, but as he conveys the Queen's commands, I have no choice.  I doubt I will gain any sleep tonight, as I must check all of our supplies one last time before our dawn departure....

Ummm, okaaay.

1st Granite, 1051
Durien's log
The group of dwarves I have traveled with for the past several months has finally reached the destination our gracious Queen, by way of the Baron, directed us to.  Unfortunately, we have been confronted with several pieces of bad tidings.  
First and foremost, there is no fort here.  Nothing.  Nothing but a rocky wasteland and mountains.  
Secondly,we have discovered a cave not very far away from where we spent the night that has several of my companions nearly rigid in fear, for it is filled with all sorts of frightful beings.  I trust we will not draw their attention.  
Thirdly, and perhaps the most disturbing news, is the current resident of this stretch of mountain.  I believe it to be Stredac Chasmhonored, but it is certain that we are living next to a hydra.  A HYDRA!  May the gods in their greatness be merciful.
It is now painfully clear why the Baron was so very helpful to us prior to our departure.  He clearly desires my demise, although I do not believe that I have done anything so wrong.  But, if I must live in undeserved exile, I am glad to have stout dwarves as my companions.  We are so fortunate as to all be on good terms with one-another, and I know I can count on them to pull their weight during the difficult months that lie ahead if we are to survive, and to sell their lives dearly should we be doomed to die.

Edit: hit post instead of preview

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

I would like to claim the first soap maker you get.

Name: Scrubs
Preferred jobs:
Butcher
Tanner
Cooking
Wood Burning
Lye Making
Soap Maker
Cleaning
Hunting (only if we have absolutely NOBODY else hunting and no animals set to slaughter. Scrubs hates blood and mud, but will do anything for Soap!)
Scrubs is a bit of an anomaly, a clean dwarf. S/he is obsessive over it, to the point where s/he can drive other dwarves mad with his/her inane babbling about tiny monsters that s/he saw under a big magnifying glass that her master was studying. (she will also happily tell people how he died, being issued fifty hammerstrikes for failing to produce five zinc goods... even though he was a alchemist).

Scrubs' exile is a bit of a mystery, especially considering the gregarious nature of the dwarf (I can hope for a good candidate!). However, s/he will continually beg the leadership loudly and in person for an internal waterfall to be placed in a high-traffic area, with a stockpile containing 1 unit of soap (replaced yearly at the very least) in the center of an island of grates.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32