Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Skyseal! Dreams of a madman.  (Read 14575 times)

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
Re: Skyseal! Dreams of a madman.
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 08:18:50 pm »

Ouch! That sucks!

If you want to take your turn now, A_Fey_Dwarf, go for it!  If not, I'd be willing to take your turn, Stormlock.

But there's no guarantee that the turn would get done any sooner.  I have to play it on my roommate's computer cause my laptop sucks.  So I can only hop on it when he or his g/f isn't using it.  Though he should be going back to work soon (he was laid off), so actually I should start having his machine to myself this next week.

I've had DF go non responsive on me a few times, as I am sure you have.  Sometimes it does snap out of it.  Sometimes not.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 03:31:48 am »

What about a Frelock? Does he still want to be in our bloodline game?

I was also wondering if maybe we should try the new version of DF and just import the save file. If this works designating the glass roof will be a lot easier as the new version has a mass construction designate option. The newest version (39c) is quite stable now but I am not sure if it will run our saves from 38c.

I will be happy to take over stormlocks turn if Frelock doesn't want to. What do you think?

Stormlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2008, 02:34:31 pm »

Heres the save:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=316

Go ahead and try the new version if you feel it's stable enough. It'd certainly help out with the rest of the tower.

A couple of notes-

I moved the trade depot into a sealable room with a ballista pointed at it. Yhat way we can be sure the humans and elves don't escape to warn their nations about our impending sky supremacy. Works off the same lever as the front gate, which I changed to a bridge. Mind you don't squish and dwarfs with either the bridges or the ballista.

Zas is now fully suited and, for all intents and purposes, invincible.

The humans have enough iron equipment to feed our forges for the next two years. I normally set it all to be melted through the trade depot interface, but I keep meaning to set up autohotkey to make that go faster. Don't worry about it if you don't want to bother with the carpal tunnel, once I get the program set up it'll take me about 10 seconds to do it all.

Only request: Keep harvesting those trees and plants. Plants use water too, so harvest both. We're going to need a lot of charcoal for making that iron into steel.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2008, 04:21:22 pm »

Ok the new version is not compatible with old saves. It was worth a try. I am also wondering if I should complete the rest of your turn and then do my turn as well? This means I get 1 and 2/3 turns for me to write about.

Anywho... I have started and should be able to write an update by tomorrow (GMT+12).

[edit] I have found that the new save does actually work, I was just extracting the zipped folder into to many other folders.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2008, 04:58:15 pm »

Ok, so I'll start using the new version on my turn. 

I'm cool with you finishing the turn then taking yours after, go for it!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2008, 01:26:08 pm »

Sorry, I was out for two days, but I'm still interesting in working with you guys. 

A_Fey_Dwarf, if you want to finish up Stormlock's turn, that's fine by me.  I belive that Savok's turn was after Stormlock's, so I should be up next if I'm taking over for him, right?

It really doesn't matter for me, so whatever you want to do.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2008, 11:04:46 pm »

Ok I will finish up the rest of stormlocks year (I am currently in mid winter) and hand it over.

Make sure to use 39c as I don't think that it will now work on 38c.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 01:00:34 am »

The journal of Dain through the events of 1058

Late Summer

12th of Galena: I have been called to duty as an overseer early this year. Something about the previous overseer being exhausted with his work and needing a break. What a slacker. Never mind, this means I get an extra half year to work my magic.

14th of Galena: Today while touring the barracks to see what has been going on in my absence as overseer I noticed we had a fit fighting force of champions. Thirteen in total. But what really surprised me was the brain damaged Hammer General, Vabok Kerligeral, who was missing an eye. I have ordered this dwarf to be knighted Vabok the brave for his work in the armed forces. He has been with us right from the start and has defended Skyseal from countless goblins. Upon knight hood, Vabok shall receive a full set of adamantine gear as a reward.

16th of Galena: The humans who were trapped in the trade depot have started going mad. Good riddance I say.

Autumn

2nd of Limestone: We have run out of Green glass blocks. I shall order more to be made immediately.

4th of Limestone: I have always viewed shields as the most important piece of armour. I have today mandated enough adamantine shields to suit the whole army.

11th of Limestone: Goblins are at the gates. Raise the alarm. Their count is high, 43 goblins in total. This includes a pikemaster, a spearmaster and a swordmaster. Hopefully our champions will be able to deal with the threat to skyseal.

15th of Limestone: Wow our military force is good. They took out the whole force of goblins without a scratch. The only casualty was a baby that was for some reason carried into the battle.

18th of Limestone: I have ordered some quarters to be built within the tower. Only the wealthy or famous will be allowed to stay in these green glass apartments.

24th of Limestone: With trees being chopped down as I write this down and no mining tasks available I will soon start burning wood into charcoal with my own two hands. I have nothing else to do so hopefully I will become a proficient wood burner in no time.

27th of Limestone: THE TOWER IS FALLING!!! Run for your lives!

28th of Limestone: The dust has cleared and now we can all view the aftermath. We have three casualties: The baroness, her baby daughter and a mason. 12 others were also injured after falling through a couple of glass floors. I don't know what caused this calamity and I will have the disaster investigated immediately.

29th of Limestone: Apparently the collapse was caused by someone cutting off a floor tile from the rest. This caused it to crash through 8 stories of glass. We don’t know who did it but I am suspecting the Humans have a spy in our midst and are trying to prevent Skyseal from ever happening.

16th of Sandstone: The Baronesses Consort has thrown a tantrum. I wouldn't blame him, he has been through so many hardships, injuring himself in the collapse and losing his wife and child.

27th of Sandstone: I have set up a second lever connected to the bridge/door at the main entrance. This way we don't have to let the trapped merchants out when we need the front gate open. It is near the entrance, to the right of the old lever.

21st of Timber: The dungeon master, who was injured during the collapse, has today died.

Winter

20th of Moonstone: I have decided to crack open the pits in the mountain. I have a team of champions ready to take on any of the evil frogs that survived the magma blitz. I hope there are none left but I am not taking any chances.

21st of Moonstone: There was one frog demon left within the caves. However it was quickly killed by the champions. Other than that, no demons were to be seen. It seems the magma did the trick.

25th of Opal: Iton Sakzuldustik, The Weapon Master, is throwing a tantrum over one of his masterwork copper war hammers being melted down. He has already killed a dog and is starting fist fights with anyone he sees. Iton has recieved 251 days in prison and a beating for these offences. I hope he survives it because he is a valuable dwarf here at skyseal.

11th of Obsidian: The animal problem here is starting to get out of hand. Seeing as my turn is almost up, perhaps the next overseer can deal with it during their rule. Maybe killing the cat owners would be the best way to get rid of the miasma spreading felines. Or we could just build some chimneys for the miasma to escape through.

26th of Obsidian: The weapon master has been taken by a fey mood. It must have come from his previous temper tantrum. Something has inspired him. He has taken three adamantine bars and is demanding some raw green glass.  The next overseer will hopefully see to his needs as we may get a legendary weapon crafter out of this. Anyway my time is up, (Insert Frelock's dwarf name here) can now take his place as overseer for the year.

Map: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-3110-skyseal-1056
Save file:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=255
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:22:49 am by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Stormlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2008, 05:54:36 am »

OMFG. An adamantine artifact weapon? If Zas gets a hold of that she'll slay an army of demons without getting winded. On top of that, the weapon master, already being skilled enough to produce masterworks, is going to advance beyond the first level of legendary skill with this. I can't believe our good fortune. Good thing the game crashed :P

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2008, 09:10:22 am »

I am interested in joining in with this, actually. But one thing first, how do you savescum?

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2008, 11:06:16 am »

I am interested in joining in with this, actually. But one thing first, how do you savescum?

It's derogatory term for the following procedure:
  • Save at regular intervals
  • when something bad happens (losing an awesome dwarf, magma flooded magnetite stockpile), use the task manager to force-close dwarf fortress from the processes tab
  • Load up the game with knowledge of what you did, or a general idea of what is coming up next (spawns are randomly generated)
  • continue on your merry way without consequences
  • Take pride in your scumbaggery
Save scumming changes the experience of gameplay that Toady one intended, so most people see it as cheating.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 11:33:23 am »

ah, thank you.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2008, 04:56:11 pm »

1st of Granite, 1059

I, Iton Trumpetboars, Weapons Master of the Skyseal Project, have been approached by Demos, the Mad Visionary.  He appeared very interested in my great creation.  He said that if I complete it, he will give me a seat of power among the select group which rules Skyseal in secret. 

But that matters not.  I must have raw green glass!  I must have cut gems!

((If he survives, I will be playing as the weapon master.  I'll get started tomorrow, and will likely be done by this weekend at latest.  Hope I can figure out what type of cut gem he wants...))

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Stormlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2008, 07:05:58 pm »

Any kind should do. Fire up that jewelers shop pronto.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2008, 12:28:57 am »

((If he survives, I will be playing as the weapon master.  I'll get started tomorrow, and will likely be done by this weekend at latest.  Hope I can figure out what type of cut gem he wants...))

That may not be a good idea seeing as the weapon master is scheduled for a beating and 200+ days in prison for murdering a dog.

At the moment this is a four player bloodline game, thus I don't think you can join. However, I might have to opt out sooner or later as Mid-term exams are approaching and I need to get some study in. Depending on how long it takes the next round I might be able to fit another one or two turns in before I leave. After that you will most likely be able to take my place.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:33:34 am by A_Fey_Dwarf »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8