Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Skyseal! Dreams of a madman.  (Read 14569 times)

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
Re: Skyseal! Dreams of a madman.
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2008, 04:10:58 am »

:o

Well, I guess that's to be expected to a certain extent!  :D

Power on through, Fey!  ;)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2008, 04:12:45 am »

I was thinking of save scumming but then decided against it. So I am glad I made the right decision.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2008, 11:13:04 am »

The dreams of madmen usually come at a high cost to realize.  :P  Just think of Hitler, for one.  ;)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2008, 01:47:11 am »

The journal of the Dain through the events of 1060

Spring

1st of Granite: It looks like I am to be overseer again. This term will be my most magnificent yet.

2nd of Granite: After a quick survey of the changes made by the new overseer, Don, I see that he has done some good work and somethings that don't quite make sense. For one the merchant learn to swim program will do exactly what the title suggests. The merchants and their animals won't drown until as the seem to be innate swimmers. The only way to fix this problem is to roof over the merchant area. This will be my first priority.

5th of Granite: I have decided to knight the swords champion Rith Vabokzas as Rith the Purger. She seems to have convinced Don that she deserves the artifact sword, Dustpurges, more than anyone else. Her position as an artifact wielder gives her knighthood with a full set of exceptional adamantine armor.

7th of Granite: This fortress has way to many Dwarves. Any number higher than 80 makes it difficult for me to run the fortress as it is to crowded and I have no idea what to do. So off to the burninator it is with 8 of the peasants loitering around the fortress.

15th of Granite: Elves have arrived and with them a goblin ambush. Luckily Rith the Purger was waiting for the goblins. The elves on the other hand are trapped inside their depot.

16th of Granite: The goblins were quickly dispatched by Rith, none escaped alive. His sword is truly an artifact to worship.

11th of Slate: The hammerer, a Baron and and a dungeon master have arrived. I will have the Hammerer dispatched immediately to the noble killing device. Hopefully the hammerer doesn't dispense his justice before we can smash him.

13th of Slate: We have reached a milestone. Skyseal now has over one hundred adamantine wafers.

16th of Slate: The hammerer has been crushed by the golden drawbridge.

9th of Felsite: A Tragedy has struck Skyseal. While trying to remove some glass blocks on the roof, Myra our legendary armorer has fallen to her death. It was my foolishness that caused the cave-in. The windmills above the trade depot stopped rotating so I figured it had something to do with the roof being built over it. I ordered the constructions to be removed. Unfortunately Myra removed the block connecting her to the main roof. She fell 14 levels to her death colliding with the windmill, this collision caused the windmill to explode. Seeing Myras mangled and chopped up body has filled me with grief. I have put aside all grudges I held towards her and am deeply sorry for what I have done.

20th of Felsite: Myra's funeral was held today. It was such a sad occasion, someone who had donated so much towards the progression of Skyseal had died in such an untimely manner. She will be remembered for years to come for her masterwork meals that have kept us well feed. She will be remembered for her powerful armor that kept us safe from the goblin threat. She will be remembered. In her honor I have ordered two adamantine and two green glass armor stands to be built in her tomb.

Summer

11th of Hematite: Humans have arrived. They have most likely brought goblins with them so I will send out a group of champions to deal with any if they decide to turn up.

12th of Hematite: Yep there was an ambush of goblins following the caravan. I was right in my decision to send out the champs. The goblin wrestlers were quickly dispatched. Posing no more threat than a sparring recruit.

23th of Hematite: The humans are now trapped in the killing zone and being fired upon by iron and steel ballista arrows.

7th of Galena: Nothing much has happened lately, it's a little to quite around here.

Autumn

12th of Limestone: Some dwarven traders have arrived. Unfortunately the humans are still occupying our depot. This means we will have to miss out on trading this year.

23rd of Limestone: The human diplomat trapped in Sav's quarters is still showing no sign of weakness. He must have a secret supply of food in there because he has gone the whole year so far without eating or drinking. I must find a way to get rid of him.

Winter

13th of Moonstone: The human liaison was splattered under a drawbridge today. My trap worked.

24th of Obsidian: My term as overseer is almost up. What a boring term it has been. Definitely not as magnificent as I had planned.

Here is the save:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=255
And a map:http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-3208-skyseal-skyseal
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:49:03 am by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2008, 12:45:32 pm »

Ayla noticed a newly cast shadow over her.  Dwarves, being underearth dwellers, can easily identify the only very slightly darker shade that a shadow casts in the permanent gloom of a cavern.  Curious, she craned her neck upwards.  Dain, slouching as he leaned against his pickaxe firmly planted in the rows of plump helmets, was calmly looking down at her.  He smiled.  A rarity for him. What could this be about?, Ayla wondered. 

"Friend! What brings you to our lovely farm?  It's rare that you stop by unless you are hungry, and I notice that you don't have a 'shroom in hand."

Dain replied, "Is farming so interesting that you forget the date?  The first of the year.  My term as manager is complete for a few years." His smile widened.  "It's yours again, and I can't say that I'm not happy to be done with it, at least for a time."

"I see. Well, could you at least do me one last favor as manager?"

"Anything for an old friend and comrade."

"Show me around, and familiarize me with what has changed since I last held this responsibility."

"With pleasure.  We'll make a day of it."

From the logbook of Ayla Udilninur First of Granite, Year 1061.
Well, it's my year again.  This will be the second term that I have held the position of manager of Project Skyseal.  Our progress has been incredible.  On the occasions that I find myself outside, I notice the sky growing ever greener.  Today Dain has promised to show me some of the other less obvious additions to our stronghold.  I've seen them from a distance, til today, but I need a more intimate understanding of proper protocol.  Today I will familiarize myself with our general situation, and tomorrow I will get started with outlining goals for my term.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2008, 03:03:33 pm »

Granite Two
Dain and I have been touring the fortress, examining the various contraptions and new rooms.  I have been labeling the levers as I go appropriately, but I found a lever of which I was unsure of the purpose. I will post a notice on the manager's board.

Posted on the Bulletin Board of the Managers of Project Skyseal.
I came across this lever, and am confused as to what it is hooked up to. Any other managers shed some light on this?

It seems to contain what looks like an adamantine mechanism.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2008, 03:39:47 pm »

Pull it. You know you want to. ;D
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2008, 03:50:16 pm »

That was the first thing I did, and several times.  Foolish?: yes.  Curious: certainly.

For all I know it could have been set to pump magma into my living chambers, that would have been the ultimate practical joke.  As long as I didn't see the suspicious looking pipe leading from the vent to my room...;D

That makes me envision a fort just now, where everyone plays with the attitude of, in particular, anglo-saxon type royalty of the middle ages.  A fort where all of the managers try to "off" all the other managers to gain power and access to the throne.  Everyone setting up traps for the other managers to fall for so that their dwarf dies.   Probably be hard to pull off, but would be amusing anyhow.

In any case, I couldn't divine what that lever was up to, hence the notice.   ???

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2008, 12:07:56 am »

DO NOT PULL THAT LEVER

Erm, that lever would be the one connected to the floodgate you see above the pits. I had to use adamantine mechanisms because they are the only magma proof rock we have. The floodgate they are connected to is the one that held the magma from spilling into the pits and killing all of the demon frogs. If you were to pull that lever, magma would spill into the pits and overflow into the bedrooms just as you had imagined it would.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2008, 12:53:31 am »

:o

I pulled it a bunch of times, but never left it open, so there was no damage at all.  Whew!  I was looking at other things I thought it might be and when they didn't react immediately I shut it.  So, luckily nothing bad happened!  ;D  And it is now properly labeled!  :D

From the personal Journal of Ayla Udilninur, Granite One, Year Ten Six Two
My year term is completed for the year ten six one.  There was no lack of excitement, to be sure.  Tonight I rest, but tomorrow I will report fully my second term as manager.

I'll leave you with some vistas of the Glory of Skyseal!

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2008, 07:24:11 am »

So Ayla begins her term by nearly flooding the fortress with magma...

This year should be interesting.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2008, 10:45:54 am »

Granite Three
Lately there have been numerous complaints of the lack of sufficient seating in our dining hall.  I
number among those complaining.  And I have promised to address this once I was overseer once more.
Though mundane, this is my first real order of business.

Other than that I will be managing the sand collection/block construction/roof expansion work most
of my term, I imagine.  The end is getting close in sight of building the exterior of our tower, so
it is shoulder to the wheel for all of us!

Granite Seven
The problem with sealing the sky is that you also seal off the resources that it brings.  Past managers
have recognized this, and so we have a few holes in our cieling to keep our windmills running that
power our pumps.  But there is more than just windmills to worry of!  How does our "Mad Visionary",
bless his crazed hart, plan to keep any sources of water alive with the whole sky filled with impermeables!
We have no river, so our ponds are very important to me.

I am going to keep holes in the cieling, and by extention the palace floors below, in the shape of the
ponds below it.  On the top level there will be no walls, but inside the palace there should be glass
walls, or maybe windows, along the edges of the holes, so that none may fall in.  That's a bit ahead
still though.

Granite Fourteen
The Elves have arrived!  We'll see if my tour with Dain has paid off in my understanding of our traps.

Granite Twenty
Through a mix up in levers and some bad judgement, the Elves left this year.  They didn't inquire about
their prior missing caravans, but they seemed a tad more shifty than usual.  They have escaped and with
them the knowledge of our work. I hope word doesn't spread too far.  I am sure that it will be made
up to them next year!

Slate Twenty-Eight
Work continues on the roof.  I am concentrating right now on completing the outline of the two first
ponds before I further any massive expansions.  I am also having some of our free masons (ha!) work
on the crumble tower.  With our military prowess, I doubt the thing is really even needed.  But no
matter how you see it, crushing goblins under thousands of pounds of stone is fun.

Felsite Ten
A hammerer arrived with some migrants today.  Perfect, as I was just thinking of how our golden wall
still had some grime on it from last time.  I will see to it that the wall is "cleaned" once more.

Felsite Twenty-Two
The Hammerer was accidentally crused while polishing the bottom of our golden wall today.

Hematite Twelve
Our conduct with the humans has not gone unnoticed!  Today the caravan we get is one full of screaming
warriors wearing the large armor that they usually try to peddle to us!  Yes, they have laid siege to
our home, but in surprisingly small number.  Perhaps they don't fully know whether thier missing
comrades were our fault or not.  Either way, none shall leave with their lives!

I am ordering dwarves indoors.  Once all are inside safely I will lock down the main entrances, allow
access to the outside, and throw the lever to close the front gate bridge.  Once that is done I'll
unlock the front door, order only soldiers outdoors, and assemble the troops at the gate. Then
lock the front door again, allow all dwarves outside (to allow access to the lever) and throw the gates
open and hope for the best!  I have full confidence in our strength.

Hematite Thirteen
While waiting for the bridge to close, a human wrestler decided to see what we were up to behind our
walls.  He was the only one willing to come, and it is a pity for him.  He was quickly torn in half
by our champions that were en route.

Hematite Fourteen
Another human  wrestler came, but was smashed by our hammerer and hounddwarf, Endok!

Hematite Fifteen
A sign that at least this particular group of humans pose little threat: One of their wrestlers was
killed by Led Ogdubamost, a war dog.  The dog was, however, badly wounded in return.  The gates finally
went up, but one of our champions, Iton Logemtenshed is stuck oustide.  He'll have to fend for himself
if the humans start advancing before all of our champions can muster by the gates.  I just recieved
word that our brave dog was pincushioned by the human archers.

Hematite Seventeen
In the midst of war, the elections were held and Archimedes was re-elected.

Hematite Eighteen
We are now as fully assembled as we can hope for.  Time for battle!

Hematite Nineteen
Bridge opened, troops to rush out!
Watch the battle!

The aftermath, and our troops coming home!

Hematite Twenty
Only two casualties on our side overall. The dog, and Kadol Matgoden, Champion.  This Chapion died
with honor defending Skyseal.  I can think of no better way to go.

The full battle report made its way to my desk today.
Id Azingoden: 3 kills
Morul Osodusuth: One Kill
Logem Omerolon: One kill
Endok Ritholkol: One kill
Zas: Two Kills
Cog Gebartosid: His first two kills!

Hematite Twenty-One
We mourn the loss of Kadol, but work continues today.

Malachite Nine
Ordered the carving out of a proper office for myself, adjacent to my quarters. 

Malachite Twenty-Two
This consecutive leading seems to have gone to Archimedes head!  Or maybe he's just having fun as the
figurehead of Skyseal.  Either way, he wants an adamantine chest in his office.  A waste to be sure,
but I'll humor him for now.  When the Queen arrives, it will, of course, belong to her.

Limestone One
Autumn has arrived.  Other than our little scuffle with the humans, my term has been so far fairly
uneventful.  Work continues on the roof; I've got two of our most important ponds left open to the
sky.

Limestone Fourteen
Word from a mason on the crumble tower whose name I do not recall: Goblins are gathering at our borders.
A siege! Until we can properly asses the situation I am ordering the bridge drawn and getting everyone
inside.

Limestone Fifteen
The gates went up just as the first squad was charging our entrance.  Four goblins made it through
in time, but they will pose no threat alone. I am sending word to the troops to assemble at the front
gate once again.  They will take care of the stray goblins on their way.

The numbers were just put on my desk: 58 goblins total.  If we have to face them all at once, it could
be fatal for us.  But I think they will come in spurts, as is their way.

Limestone Seventeen
Zas assures me that our forces are prepared for this fight.  I trust his judgement.  Our forces have
assembled behind the gates.  We won't have to take the entire goblin force on at once; I believe the
odds are now in our favor.

Limestone Eighteen
Our troops fought valiantly for Skyseal!

Limestone Twenty
The next goblin squad is advancing.  We eagerly await their arrival.

Limestone Twenty-One
A baby that was brought into battle was killed in the crossfire, but our troops were VICTORIOUS!

The goblins, having a good number of their forced depleted, turned tail and left!

Our troops return home!

So now, back to the drudgery of regular fortress living!  We now have a hoarde of goblin gear that
will fetch us quite a bit of goods in trading.  Though I thinkthat we will most likel offer most
of it to the mountainhomes, if only to get it out of our sight!

The full report of the battle has reached my desk:
Logem Etvuthrabed: One kill
Doren Rungakiteb: Five goblins, One Kobold: Six Kills
Ingish Alodonul: One Kill
Monom Sibrekbekar: First Four Kills!
Zas: Three kills
Logem Omerolon: Four Kills
Udib Akamineth: Two Kills
Morul Osodustuth: Two Kills
Endok Inodtathtat: One Kill

23 Goblins Vanquished! One sorry kobold killed.

Sandstone Ten
I completed my office/dining room.  One room will do for me for now.  Until I can get moved up above
that is.  I long for the day that I can settle myself among the very clouds!  It will certainly be
glorious!

Work continues: crafting more bins, hauling dead goblin armor, construction of cieling, work on the
crumble tower.

Sandstone Thirteen
our crypt is at capacity right now. I've ordered the miners to continue with its expansion.

Sandstone Twenty-One
I've set the woodcutters to harvesting wood within our walls to replenish our stockpiles.

Timber One
Winter has come.  Nothing new to report.  Work continues in all places mentioned before.  The crumble
tower is nearing completion, finally. 

Moonstone Seventeen
We get no rest! A force of what looks to be 38 goblins have shown up today. This time right in front
of our open gates.  I hope to get the gate closed before too many get in, but this time it is surely
unavoidable.  They've caught us by such surprise this time, that I expect at least a few dwarves to
die.  There are some outside the walls right now, and I can't afford to wait to call them in. I am
sending word to the army now.  They will begin preparations as soon as is possible.

Moonstone Eighteen
Someone got to the lever just in time! Seven goblin hammermen were able to squeeze past while closing
but the greater part of the goblin force remains without the gate.  The troops will assemble as they
have before.  We should dispatch these siegers without event, if all goes as before.

As I had predicted.  Word just came that our mechanics that were outside were killed by the goblins.
One was shot while up on the crumble tower.  The range of the goblin archers is alarming!

May you join the stone from which you were carved, comrades Bembul Nishadag and Zan Rifotast!

Moonstone Nineteen
The troops have assembled. Time for battle.

Moonstone Twenty
We've lost the Hound Lord!
Olin Ushulnish, Marksdwarf, is wounded badly in the left upper arm, and the left shoulder and right
lower arm are fairly injured. He now lays unconscious on the bridge. We've taken down the two squads
in front of the gate, and now await the final three squads.

Moonstone Twenty-Two
The goblins seem a bit indecisive after seeing their siegemates slaughtered, but the squad of goblin
hammerers has begun to make their way toward our gates. 

Word just came that we vanquished that squad as well!  Our warriors are fearsome!

Moonstone Twenty-Three
A sqad of wrestlers and macemen are now on approach, with another squad of wrestlers and marksmen
not far behind.  We may see more casualties yet.  While they don't pose a huge threat to us, the
marksmen seem quite capable.

Moonstone Twenty-Four
Immediately following a small scuffle with the macement, the remaining goblins saw
in living flesh how mighty our fighters are.  They made the wise decision and ran away.  They certainly
can run quite fast when motivated.  Hopefully word of our might will get out.  That could leave us
in peace for a time.  But I fear, knowing the way of the goblin, that they will just return in time
in far greater numbers.  We'll be ready!

The report of the battle has reached my desk:
Logem Omerolon: One kill
Monom Sibrekbekar: ESPECIALLY IMPRESSIVE, ONLY HER SECOND BATTLE!: 14 Kills!
Stakud Stelindber:First Kill!
Id Azingoden: Three Kills
Thikut Rithasen, Marksdwarf: First Three Kills!
Cog Gebartosid:Four Kills

26 enemies vanquished!
One comrade dead, one wounded.

Opal Two
After the death of our mechanics, I appointed two of our peasants to fill the role.  For my purposes
they are dedicated mechanics, but feel free to set them to other work next year!

Opal Eight
I've named Monom "Goblin Hammer!" for her impressive display of hatred toward the greens in our last
two battles with them!  She is quite a deadly opponent!

Obsidian Six
Work on the roof continues faster than production can handle.  We are slowly but steadily sealing the
sky!

Obsidian Twenty-Three
As my term nears its end, one of our faithful wardogs dies of old age...

Obsidian Twenty-Five
Lorbam Niralas, one of our esteemed glassmakers has been possesed!

Granite One, Year Ten Six Two
As Lorbam is brining wood and jewels to the forge he has claimed, my term has ended.  The next overseer
will be the one that Lorbam presents his creation to.

This term has been extremely eventful, and early on, nearly catastophic due to my curiosity over
an unknown lever.  Maybe next time I'll consider what an adamantine mechanism fully signifies before
pullin random levers!  I had an inkling, but didn't take it quite seriously enough, as Dain has
pointed out!

I only ask that future managers mind the ponds below as we expand our roof.  Having no river, the
rain reaching our ponds is of VITAL IMPORTANCE!

All levers are now labeled.  Well, I think I might have not labeled four of them but it should be clear
that they are associated with the not yet working crumble tower.  Just refer to the "N"otes on any
lever that you are unsure of.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
MAP ARCHIVE LOOK AT POIs!!!!

SAVE FILE! ENJOY!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2008, 10:59:04 pm »

Might I suggest having a way to drain the ponds into a large underground resevoir for efficient water storage? That way you can fill that up for drinking.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2008, 11:53:49 pm »

That would be smart, but we've got a water trap set up to drown unwanted merchants.  So we need those two ponds in particular to be replenished from time to time.  Although, it seems that they might never be filled again!  :o

But we might consider draining our other two(?) ponds into an underground reservoir.  Or we might just leave them for their natural beauty...:P

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2008, 04:34:34 pm »

Good update. Someone should message Stormlock to tell him its his turn.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8