Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62

Author Topic: Necrothreat - Teh LOLmod succession fort - PG2 FOR DETAILS  (Read 235124 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: ThreadAlive - A Zombie Succession Fort - PG2 FOR DETAILS
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57:07 am »

Yep, I'd thought an aquifer might be a problem, but without the full pic, I had no way of knowing for sure if there was actually an aquifer. :P This is turning out to be exciting so far, simply because you're not quite sure how to get around it. lol    (I seriously hope it's not a multi-level aquifer, or we may well be screwed.)

First, we have plenty of sand, but do we have soil anywhere on the map? If we do, dig out a plot underground and start a farm. If you decided to make a kitchen, go to the z --> Kitchen screen and disable plump helmets from being cooked. We'll need to start farming plump helmets quickly.

Aquifers aren't difficult to pierce, unless they're multi-level, in which case it's often difficult to find a large enough space to drop a plug. And plugs themselves are difficult to create, for a new player. Armok's infinite beard, what have we gotten ourselves into...

In the DF Wiki there's a page on aquifers. It should be able to help you with figuring out how to get past. If not... I'll draw up a quick diagram on how to mine out a spot for a plug to fall.

edit: Ninja'd by BFEL, who has the right idea. :P +1 to you. I'd like to add, though: if you're channeling the last connection to drop the plug, it is almost guaranteed to drop your miner into the water below. (this can be deadly in frozen areas, as your miner will splat.) Still, I don't see a way around it.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2012, 08:02:27 am »

I checked the wiki but I didn't understand sheit. I cannot mine underground because everywhere I mine there's either an aquifer,sand or clay. I already have a farm on the surface which I am trying to populate with berries. I don't think we have any plump helmets but maybe we do. Anyway they'd probably be destroyed by now since I had a need of food. I'd appreciate if you drawed the diagram. I have no idea what it said. Too complex for my hurting head. Sorry for being such a noob xD.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2012, 08:23:27 am »

Here you go. A quick diagram on how to plug your way past 1-z aquifers. Forgive my poor MSPaint skills. And the weird mistake on the top line. And the fact that I didn't explain that the up/down staircase is the series of red "x"'s.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2012, 08:23:50 am »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ok, first mine out the white parts, leaving the green layer of dirt there for later, then channel out the green layer (I forgot to draw an escape route so your dudes dont drown, but you can figure that out) Anyway after that just channel out the yellow piece and the plug will drop, the red lineish things are where the plug will end up, which is to say, as a solid piece of dirt bridging the aquifer. You can then mine the red part down through the plug and into the stone beneath.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2012, 08:25:25 am »

XD I just got ninja'd back by talvi
Also he did it better, leaving room for multi layer aquifers :P oops

Indeed, I do this.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2012, 08:30:20 am »

XD I just got ninja'd back by talvi
Also he did it better, leaving room for multi layer aquifers :P oops
No, I didn't, actually... To leave room for multi-layer aquifers, you need to increase the size of the plug by about... three tiles per side? If we have a multi-layer aquifer, we may be screwed unless we rig something up with pumps (which is very dangerous work). The trick with pumps is to have engravers smooth the walls as the water is pumped out. If we have dirt, sand or clay, that's not possible.

I also forgot to mention that after the plug falls, you dig a staircase through the CENTER of the plug. Emphasis added because if you mess it up, the plug can't be repaired. :P keep it in mind.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2012, 08:35:59 am »

Oh god. My head hurts. I don't understand anything but regardless I will try. These red "v's" got me all messed up. I suck.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

markressler

• Bay Watcher
  • WHAT IS THIS, WHAT I AM DOI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2012, 08:40:52 am »

This is exciting. Hope you can do something with that aquifer, apiks. I'm not experienced enough to give you any tips, but I think that Talv and BFEL explained it well. Good luck.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2012, 08:43:00 am »

This may help: Tim Denee's Oilfurnace art. Unfortunately, he appears to have taken the whole story down from his site ( :( ), but I managed to find one of the images.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2012, 08:46:17 am »

Ah most excelllent! I have read this series and it is most excellent. I never thought it'd be of use. So do I need a support?
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2012, 08:49:30 am »

If you have stone for mechanisms. :P Oilfurnace was actually how I learned to make aquifer. It's important to note, though: you actually have to channel into the aquifer to make a space for for the plug to fall in - aquifer-soil doesn't give way beneath falling terrain, and the fact that terrain has fallen on top of it doesn't make the aquifer tiles beneath okay to dig through.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:51:59 am by Talvieno »

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2012, 09:02:32 am »

FIX THE AQUIFER BEFOR MY TURN OR WE'LL HAVE TWO YEARS WITHOUT PROGRESS!!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2012, 10:16:16 am »

SUCCESS! After about 30 (literaly) failed attempts, I finally got this thing working on my other world. Huzzah!
Founder of Teh LOLmod

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat - A Zombie Succession Fort - PG2 FOR DETAILS
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2012, 12:19:45 pm »

lol nice.....I figured it out the first time :P

Indeed, I do this.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat - A Zombie Succession Fort - PG2 FOR DETAILS
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2012, 02:40:37 pm »

Huzzah indeed! And I think it took me several tries, too. I think I made about 30 failed attempts with pumps before I got that method figured out.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62