Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Secretive Crown - A Story Fort (Sometimes Community)  (Read 2340 times)

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kung Fu Kingdom - An RTS with Kung Fu!
The Secretive Crown - A Story Fort (Sometimes Community)
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

This is my Bookmist fortress that I had to restart due to a bug. Added a chapter.

This will be a story fort. Meaning, I will be playing primarily to write an interesting story. I will be including some community members, and if you want to join let me know. Let me know what kind of personality you would like your character to be. I will choose profession and skills as it will best fit into the story.

Also, though I WILL NOT be playing with the human mod, I will be pretending that my dwarf's are human. So play along.

------------------------------------

Finnigan sighed. Why me, she wondered?

“Because you’re the child of the king and, as such, are a threat to your older brother in the line of ascension.”

“Ballytol, you freak. Do you read minds now?”

Ballytol looked entirely too chipper given the situation. “Well, it doesn’t take a genius to guess why you’re looking down. I mean, your father did send you off on a suicidal quest to obtain the long forgotten lost Clasp of Legends.”

“What? When you announce something that’s so completely obvious like that out loud it’s like we are in a story or something.”

Finnigan sighs. “Oh well.” She pounds her fist down onto her open hand. “I have other plans.”

“Oh?” said Ballytol, and in that annoying way she always does when she raises her eyebrow.

“Yes! We are going to make a cabin in the woods! Hey, why did everybody stop?”

Shock. The look of pure shock on the faces of her body guards.

Finnigan couldn’t help but laugh, “What, you all thought we were actually going to go off in search of the long lost bla bla bla and get ourselves killed? Hah. As if.” And with renewed determination. “No my friends, we set off into the wilderness to create for ourselves a nice little villa to live our lives at!”

Stunned looks slowly turned into quiet laughter.

“That’s just like you Finnigan, just like you,” said Ballytol with a chuckle.

“But Sir, is it wise to go against your fathers wishs?” said someone from the back.

Ballytol shouted out “Frank! That you?”

“Yes sir!”

“Come on up here, we need to talk.”

Frank’s heavy footsteps could be heard running up the column. He looked a little nervous.

“Come here son,” Ballytol put his arm around Frank’s shoulder. “You joined Mistress Finnigan’s personal guard a few months ago right?”

“Yes sir, I was a bit nervous because the rest of you have been with her for so long.”

“Yeah. Well, no worries kiddo. As regards to our new plans; see, we know that the king is just looking out for his own well being. After all, the last thing this kingdom needs is a civil war once the king passes, and everyone thinks Finnigan poses that threat. I suppose you probably would take advantage of the situation wouldn’t you Mistress?”

That coy sucker. Well, thought Finnigan, I guess my personal guard should know me that well. She put on her best confused and pouty face “Who, little ol’ me?”

The men roared with laughter, “Now son,” Ballytol chipped in. “We are just doing the same. Looking out for our own well being.” Ballytol looked down at the boy with a bit of a sad smile on his face. “Now the King didn’t say anything, but we know he has had his eye on you for a while.” Smiling, “You might not think us the sharpest tools in the shed, but we know you’ve been a favorite of his for quite a while now. So it saddens me that you got stuck with us on this journey into the middle of nowhere. Truly, I want to tell you how sorry I am. You would have had a bright future back in the kingdom. Maybe even have been a tournament champion! Ha!”

“Well, I don’t know about that sir,” Frank was blushing. How cute. “But the king sir? That can’t be true sir. I’m sure if the King looks at me all it’s because of how well I can protect his daughter. I’m a good soldier sir.”

Frank had such nice eyes, thought Finnigan. “You are a good soldier kid. Too bad you got stuck with me.”

“Right she is Fanky, right she is”

“Oh no mistress, really, I’m honored to be posted with you…” Frank’s voice croaked and his face contorted in pain as Ballytol violently shoved his knife into his gut and drew upward.

Frank stumbled to a stop and, wide eyed, looked up at Ballytol. “Why sir? Why?” He sank to his knees.

“Well son,” Said Ballytol, smiling. “You were right about being a good soldier son. Really good. I hate to have to do this. But see, your such a good soldier, you might just go and report Miss Finnigan’s change in plans. We can’t have that.”

“But sir… I,”

“Oh I know son, you might not be a spy. And that’s why this pains me so. But you’re just so new, and we can’t take that chance.”

Frank fumbled useless at his intestines, trying hopelessly to push them back into his stomach. “Why… why… no, it will be all right. Right Mistress?” He looked up at Finnigan with pleading eyes. “My mother, she’s waiting for me to get back. Mother, help me.”

Finnigan looked back with cold, dead eyes. She sighed. “Oh, As Berok, kill him already.”

Ballytol draw out his sword and raised it above his head, point down. “Sorry kid, you didn’t deserve a turn like this” and shoved it down through the back of Frank’s neck into his body. Standing up, Ballytol wiped tears from his eye. Looking over to the other guards he shouted “Snuggles, check his body.”

“It had to be done, but I know it was hard Ballytol. You had an eye out for the kid. He had promise, but it had to be done.” Finnigan gripped her Captain’s shoulder. Turning around she surveyed the scene. “You all know the plan. Grab all the food and seeds you can carry and burn the rest in the wagons.” Two of the guards were shooting arrows randomly into the foliage, some deliberately into nearby trees. “It looks like the second heir to the throne, on her noble quest to find the Clasp of Legends, has just been ambushed. Killed and eaten by Trolls I suspect.” Snugglybear drew a tarp off one of the wagons and, with the help of one of the men, dragged a giant, half burned troll body down onto the ground. Several of the men started to douse the area with alcohol.

Ballytol ripped off his personal insignia leaned down to attach it to Frank’s body. “Keep it well kid. Keep it well.” Standing up, he took the offered torch from Finnigan. “Everyone back” he said, and then lit the body, wagons, and surrounding grass on fire.

“It’s done mistress.”

“Well then, we had best be on our way.”

As the column moved off through the woods, to its tracks, Finnigan III looked back. “Too bad you got stuck with me kid. Too bad.” Without anymore hesitation, the second heir to the throne of her great kingdom, turned and disappeared into the forest.

Travelers found Franks body and the burned out wagons the next day. The King announced a month of morning in the kingdom, and buried an effigy of his beloved daughter, bejeweled in the kingdoms finest, for all the people to see. Frank’s mother was informed of his death by the chamberlain himself. Stricken with grief over the loss of her beloved son, she soon threw herself off the cliffs of the fortress.

An auspicious beginning indeed.

<BR>    <BR>    <BR>  <p>[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: Snoopicus ]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:11:59 pm by Snoopicus »
Snoopicus: What is the kill radius of lava heat?
Snugglybear: I''ve seen it, I think, kill dudes one level above it. But the guy was falling into it at the time, as a dwarven sacrifice. So it''s hard to say.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BookMist - A Story Fort (Sometimes Community)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

Snugglybear: I''ve seen it, I think, kill dudes one level above it. But the guy was falling into it at the time, as a dwarven sacrifice. So it''s hard to say.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

Since it seems that my poor entries killed the tale of the sandwich, I will support this project wholeheartedly! I'll take the Drake dude. I've always liked dragons . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

The starting characters are not up for grabs. I'll assign people as immigrants as they come in.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

Wow. What bad luck. I went from 150 fps to 1 fps and lower when I got hit with the "Caravan" bug. Good thing it is still early in the game. I've regenned the world and am starting at the same location.

The name of the fortress will change, and so will the dwarf preferences. I will post them when I play this evening.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

There continues to be no y in my board handle, dude.  :D
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

Who said it was you... buddy?

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 01:08:53 pm »

Chapter 2: A New Beginning

Finnigan III looked out over the shallow gully in which her men would set camp. It was heavily forested with plenty of room for storehouses, housing, and a warriors hall, but not much else. Situated as it was between a cliff leading down into the lake to the south and a rock face several hundred feet high to the north, it was a highly defensible position with only one access point to the East. Alternatively, a bridge could be constructed to the west over the gorge to the western expanse of land.

And fishing pools. Finnigan beamed. She had always wanted to take up fishing, but had been forbidden to do so while living in her father’s court. Not a past time for a lady he had said. Finnigan’s fondest memories were of her early childhood when she would take long walks down to the local village river and watch the fisherman ply their trade. By far her favorite fishermen were the ones who were simply fishing as a pastime. Often found laying propped up against a tree with a broad rimmed hat covering their eyes, these men would nap quietly in the shade of the old oak trees while waiting for the perfect catch.

Finnigan sighed. Time to get back to work.

“Alright Ballytol, give me a status report.”

Ballytol looked up from the map he was studying and pointed down towards the entrance to the gully. “We are going to set up a defensive palisade here. We brought along some stone mechanisms with us so we could build a drawbridge. Without any miners it will be tough to get by without being able to mine into the rock face for materials, but we will manage.

Sweeping his hand over the western gorge area, Ballytol specified “In this area we are setting up wood, food, finished goods, furniture, and stone stockpiles.”

Finnigan surveyed the work being done. “Good. In addition to those stockpiles have the men set up an armor, weapons, and ammo stockpile so we can keep our weapons in a centralized location in case we are attacked. Though I’m not sure what would attack us in such a serene location.”

“Harpies.”

“Hah, harpies. As if." laughed Finnigan.

“No mistress, HARPIES!”

"Well... I'll be damned."

Sure enough, flying in from the western gorge, rising up on the air currents provided by the lake wind pushing itself in and then up and out of the gorge were several vile harpies, their bat-like wings beating as they screamed for blood.

Finnigan grabbed her sword, “Warriors! Prepare yourself!”
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:13:03 pm by Snoopicus »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Secretive Crown - A Story Fort (Sometimes Community)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:21:34 pm »

Any particular reason why the starters can't be picked Snoopicus? Looking at the profiles, "Carp" is pretty much who I would've requested. I don't care what he does or anything!

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:39 pm »

I want to involve them heavily in the story, and so their behavior in the story wont' necessarily match up with their profiles. For community characters, I'll keep their behavior pretty much in line with their profiles.

Also, I just wanted to do it that way.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 01:59:06 pm »

If you want to consider Carp your character, go for it. :) Root for him! This area is turning out to be more deadly than I had anticipated. Not by a lot, but still.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 07:32:46 pm »

Strife comes out with a 'Yay Carp' sign.
"Come on Carp you can "
<Strife cancels cheer, hit by brick>
"No, not the fish the"
<Strife cancels protest, hit by brick> x3

I'll just leave until there's an update I guess.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 10:46:06 pm »

::sighs::

The same bug occured where the framerate dropped to unacceptable levels after the merchants attempted to depart (they were enclosed in a wood wall at that point. O_o )

Anyways, seeing as this is the third time I've tried to get this fortress up and running, I haven't actually gotten to do much playing. :(

I'm putting it on hiatus until I get another fortress started. It probably won't be in a terrifying area simply because finding a terrifying river/lake area with magma is a pain in the ass.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 12:48:12 pm »

::sighs::

The same bug occured where the framerate dropped to unacceptable levels after the merchants attempted to depart (they were enclosed in a wood wall at that point. O_o )

Anyways, seeing as this is the third time I've tried to get this fortress up and running, I haven't actually gotten to do much playing. :(

I'm putting it on hiatus until I get another fortress started. It probably won't be in a terrifying area simply because finding a terrifying river/lake area with magma is a pain in the ass.

Man up, Nancy.
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 10:52:38 pm »

It had been ten days since the harpy attack. Everyone had survived with only minor injuries. The problem was, they just kept coming. Finnigan thought to herself, with only a palisade to protect against intruders on the ground, and no capacity to create air defenses, the harpies had just been too troublesome.

Finnigan sighed. “It had been such a nice location too.”

Kirk snickered, “Except for the harpies.”

“Yes, except for the harpies.”

“Well,” mused Maybil, “while it does not seem to have a river or lake, this new location seems a lot safer than the last one. A nice tropical location, plenty of trees, and a whole slew of ponds to relax by and fish from.”

Finnigan turned to Ballytol, “Speaking of safety, how is the progress on the Mead Hall?”

“As planned. The local forest is mature, and is providing plenty of long logs for our buildings. We should have a comfortable place to sleep within the week.”

Snugglebear slapped a hand down on his arm, squishing the offending insect. “Thank god, I don’t think I’ll be able to stand the mosquitoes for much longer.”

Ballytol stood up straight. “Alright, we will start farming as soon as we get some seeds from the local plants. We have all of our stockpiles up and running, and the majority of us are occupied with wood collection and building construction. Even in the worst case scenario, we will have enough food and drink to last through the winter. Though I doubt the winter here will be very rugged.”

Finnigan looked a little bored. “Sounds good. Tell you what, I’m going to go secure ourselves a new food supply.”

Ballytol glanced over to Finnigan, a suspicious look in her eyes. “By ‘secure ourselves a new food supply’, you mean you’re going fishing, don’t you?”

With a grin and a raised eyebrow Finnigan picked a suitable looking sapling. She looked over her shoulder at Ballytol, “So what if I do?”

With a quite serious look, Ballytol leaned over towards Finnigan and whispered conspiratorially, “All I’m saying is that being the heir to the throne and such, it is your duty to lead the men. I think it would be more appropriate to delegate such activities to say… the captain of your guard?” She winked.

Finnigan cried out in a gale of laughter, “Well then my fine captain, I shall take your advice, at least in part, and lead by example!” And with that she started out towards one of the local ponds within eyesight of the camp.

Ballytol smiled contentedly. “Well played Mistress, well played.” Looking around she thought to herself that this was a fine location for an encampment. If everything proceeded smoothly, she might even get some fishing time in herself.

Nothing ever proceeds smoothly.
Pages: [1] 2