Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 81

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods II: an RP Thread  (Read 106440 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods II: an RP Thread
« Reply #540 on: June 01, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

((thrown ? at targets out of bow range ? well,... you do know that, if you try to keep your city from being burned down, trowing explosives would be a rather...odd move...

Anyway. I will now for the whole tread present the rules I and Imp figured out via PM:

In case that hostile acts go beyond the killing or capturing a handful individuals, in other words all battles between groups bigger than 20 people at both sides, or a battle between the champions, all players involved will of course have different views on how the situation should end.
In this case, all players involved will be asked to write their version of what is going to happen from the moment things go out of control. Which in this case, is now.

The alternate versions will be judged by all players who are not involved.
When you rate them, do NOT rate writing style, it would only make the match be determined before it even started. Just imagine Jamini vs Cpt.Blood (no offense here)

Instead, judge the ideas written by the involved players after how logical they are. Common sense and awesome ideas trump.

And now my gentlemen, Jreengus occurs.

Imp, please write your version, i will write mine

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 01, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

((I did not explicitly say I took away the alcohole, we can say that I took some of the gravity producing substance of the board?
It was very impulsive of me, sorry...  :( ))
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 01, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

((Roger that. Writing now, please wait...))
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 01, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »

This is my version of how this will end. The voting will be done today, and be resolved when tomorrows turn starts.

This dog.

Howling at the wrong gods, snapping back at his own master. How dare he defy him.

This dog.

How dare he threathen him. Not knowing his place. This dog. He walks on the land the godess he refuses to submit to created for him, and yet he dares to defy her orders. Threathening her right hand with explosives. This dog. Kill him. This dog. This dog. Kill him. Cut him. Burn him. This dog. This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.This dog.

Madara revealed his sharp theeth in a wide grin. Reaching for his Hauchiwa-fan, he whispered:

"Very well then... LETS KILL EACH OTHER!"

With a swift motion, he let the Hauchiwa soar down, creating a gale like wind that knocked the Valtan and his guards over. In the brink of a second, he kicked up into the sky, shouting at his seated commanders.
"BURN IT DOWN! Let nothing remain. The godess wills it!"

For a second, the tengu hesitated. Many civilians had gathered on the streets, unsure what to think of the red figures above their heads. One of the younger recruits gulped down.
"But..but sir.."
Without moving his head, Madara fixated his eyes on the recruits. They were wide with anger, filled with a rage impossible to comprehend by mortals. Without any more moments of hesitation, he ignited his bomb, and threw it right into the next house. The ceramic hull of the projectile broke open, unleashing a stream of liquid fire upon the roof...
-----------------------
Meanwhile at the ground, Flavvius didn't hesitate.
"INTO THE SEWERS! INTO THE SEWERS!"
With suprising strength, he lifted the hatch on the ground, gesturing the Valtans to hurry through it. He was so busy supervising the evacuation of the city, that now was set ablaze at seemingly hundred different places at once, that he did not notice the figure that came down from behind him. As the last civilian in the immediate area vanished into the catacombs under the city and he was about to take shelter himself, he felt a strong grip from behind, throwing him by his collar. Lord Madara was standing before him, in his hands a golden staff, tipped with a bladed ring. Madara pointed the staff at his Victim, with a devilish grin.
"You are going nowhere"...
---------------------
There he was. Lying on the floor. His prey. This impudent dog. Kill him.
Flavvius drew a short sword from his belt, now standing firmly before Madara. He would not go down without a fight. This dog. How pathetic. This sword was too short. In Madaras head, countless szenarios were playing themselves.
Charge, dodge, side step, wide swing at his back. Success.
Jump into air, thrusting motion at the neck, staff gets misdirected. Failure.
Kill him.
Wait untill he attacks, high block, step back, thrust. Success.
Stop thinking and kill him.
"SHUT UP!"
Seemingly puzzled by the Tengu's sudden outburst, Flavvius hesitated. Who was he talking to ?
--------------------

Kanako was standing, letting her upper body hang above the playing field.

"Stop playing games and KILL HIM ALREADY!"

--------------------

"No"

With a swift motion, Madara struck the blade out of Flavvius hands.

"I want him to watch"

Madara gestured two soldiers to get a hold of the Valtan. Dumbstruck by the sudden turn of events, he was already 20 feet above the grounds before he could even comprehend what was happening. Before his eyes the city was completely aflame. The Tengu who already used their bombs, were now flying above the fire, using their Hauchiwa fans to spread the fire. From behind, Madara came close to his face, whispering into his ear.

"See what you made me do ? You made me burn my own city. Your foolishness made me burn my own city. My own people are burning down there. My own houses. I didnt want to do that. But you made me. This is all your fault. You should have fallen on your knees before me, like the dog you are."

He reached into his pocket, taking out a collar. Without a word, he strapped it around Flavvius neck. Then he gestured his men to let him go.

As he was falling, his eye caught a sight of the harbour. They made, it went as planned. Through the catacombs, they reached thir ships. Countless of vessels were fleeing from the city, hidden by the smoke their homeland was producing. It's last gift, a safe escape.

SPLAT

--------------------------

At he 5th of timber, year 2 of the new Tengu calendar, Jreengus occured.
Portraying a unrivaled message of violence and cold blood, the awe-inspiring wheels of fortune, led by Lord Madara, reduced the city Zurinth to ashes. Due to the planning of Flavvius, a hero who will always be remembered for his great sacrifice, most of the Valtan were able to escape safely unto the sea, 73 to be exact.

code:

♣♣│♣♣....⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
♣♣└≈≈─○⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
.♣♣♣│⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
..⌂▲○▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲^▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
.⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂○┐..♣♣♣.÷. ▲▲▲⌂⌂○⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~⌂~~⌂⌂▲○▲ ▲▲⌂....└┐..♣♣♣#♣ ⌂⌂⌂♣♣│♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲^▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~~~⌂▲│▲ ▲▲♣♣♣...≈≈.....♣ ♣...┌┘♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂~~⌂⌂~~~⌂▲│▲ ▲▲⌂♣♣♣.≈≈≈≈..... ┌─┐.│...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂▲▲⌂~⌂⌂▲│▲ ▲▲⌂Zz==z≈≈└──┐.. │.└─≈≈─────○▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲┌┘▲ ▲▲⌂⌂Z♣♣┌┘....└#─ ┘....≈...♣♣.⌂▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲┌┘▲▲ ▲▲e⌂♣♣.│.....⌂↑↑ ........♣♣♣♣┌○▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂○⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲‼══╗ ▲⌂⌂♣♣..│...⌂⌂#~↑ .........♣♣♣│⌂▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○▲▲╚ ═‼⌂,,,,╪,,⌂e~║~. ..........♣♣│♣⌂▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│♣⌂▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ⌂⌂...⌂.│..⌂⌂~╠↑# ≈≈≈≈≈≈....♣♣│♣⌂▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣└┐♣⌂ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲♥▲▲▲⌂⌂. .♣..⌂⌂⌂└─┐..⌂÷≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....│♣♣§
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣└≡⌂ ⌂⌂⌂○▲▲▲▲Å▲▲▲⌂... ♣♣♣♣.⌂...├v─Θ≈≈≈ ≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈..┌≈≈♣§
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂│♣ ♣⌂⌂│⌂⌂▲⌂⌂║⌂⌂e..♣ ♣╔v╗♣♣.♣♣v....≈≈ ≈≈↑↑⌂≈≈≈≈≈.│.≈♣♣
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..┌─┴─ ─┐δ≈⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂Å..Å♣ç♣ ╔╝≈╚╗♣♣♣┌┘....≈≈ ≈≈≈☻≈≈≈≈≈≈─┘...~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○──┘.⌂♣ ♣└─≈≈⌂⌂....≡──── Θ≈≈≈v─v═Θ♣♣...≈≈ ≈≈≈»≈≈≈≈....~K~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..⌂⌂⌂ ♣♣≈≈δδ─────┘...♣ ♣≈♣♣♣♣└─┘♣.c.≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈...P£.~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂... .♣♣♣δ..♣..♣♣♣..♣ ♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣..≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈.↑↑↑£▲▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲^▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~. .♣♣..♣ç♣♣♣♣♣♣♣.. ♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣..≈≈≈≈≈≈ »≈≈»ΩΩ⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~~~ .♣♣♣.....♣♣♣♣♣.. Φ♣♣♣♣⌂⌂T£≈≈»≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑t≡▲▲▲▲⌂▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲⌂⌂▲⌂~~~~~~~~ .♣....♣.R..♣♣..Φ Φ♣♣..¥♥⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑↑▲▲⌂⌂.⌂▲▲⌂~~
▲▲⌂⌂~~⌂~~~~~~~~~ ................ Φ....⌂⌂»≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈»¥⌂▲♀..♀.▲⌂⌂~↑
⌂⌂~~≈≈≈≈≈↑↑⌂⌂~~~ ↑....≈≈≈........ ..≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲⌂≈≈♀▲⌂~↑≈
~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂▲▲▲▲ ⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.¥.≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲⌂.⌂▲⌂~~~
≈≈≈↑↑≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂⌂⌂ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂¥═¥≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~
≈≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈.↑≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂▲▲↑↑~≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲⌂⌂
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈.≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈↑⌂⌂▲♥⌂~~≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂▲▲⌂~  

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 01, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »

((Akroma, sorry about the whole bird mix up.  I guess I simply ready "crows," and thought, ok, they're bird-like.  I've edited the last post to correct my mistake.  As to the Ipetian manner of dress, their main form of clothing is a shirt which covers the chest.  Head-gear, such as hoods, is rarely worn.  If it gets really cold, they wear something akin to horse blankets over their lower half, but otherwise, it is indeed uncovered.  Don't think I mentioned that before.  Sorry again.))

During last turn:

Wolk watched as the creature sat in silence.  "I thought as much."  Turing to the rest of the trackers, he said, "I want you nine to watch him; at least five on guard at all times.  If he gave Stilte such a run for his drink while he slept, I doubt these ropes are going to hold him for long.  Stilte, could you come with me, please?"

Stilte and Wolk began to walk towards the same pool where they had last met.  Wolk was troubled.  "Well, what do you think we should do with him?  We can't just let him go, he might come back with more friends.  And we can't keep him prisoner either.  Eventually, he'd escape, kill a few of us on the way out likely as not, and still come back with more friends."

"Simple process of elimination says we kill him," reasoned Stilte bluntly.

"I know," replied Wolk, "but I can't throw away a chance at establishing good relations with another race like that.  What if he's a scout, and the army is marching behind him, eh?  Then where would diplomacy go?  There would be no chance for peaceful relations."

"If there's an army behind him, I don't think there'd be any 'diplomacy' or 'peaceful relations.'"

Wolk sighed.  "I know, that's why we're in such a difficult situation here.  Can't let him go, can't keep him prisoner, and can't kill him.  What to do?"  They finally reached the pool.  

After staring at the water for a full half hour, Wolk finally turned back to Stilte.  "I think I have it.  It's all a matter of perspective.  Right now we see him as a prisoner, and he sees us as his captors.  We simply need to change that."  A smile played around his lips.  "We'll do what we always do for newcomers, throw a party for him!  We'll try to make him feel welcome, and let him know that we desire only peace."

"It's a stupid idea," said Stilis, scratching the back of his head, "but it's better than anything I've come up with.  Let's do it."

That night, a feast was prepared to welcome the new guest.  The nine hunters had kept the ambassador, as everyone was being encouraged to say, well away from the preparations, so it would be a suprise.  Then, they blindfolded him, and carried him to the place of honor at the table.  There was arrayed a huge assortment; fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, and every kind of drink imaginable.  Then the hunters took off the blindfold, cut the bonds, and stepped back...

((Akroma, your cue: will he run off into the wilderness, eat and drink with the Ipetians, or something else?))

~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~
This turn:

Riet and the others moved west.  Their destination was Wijnfontein, the place where, several years ago, Fenneth had decreed that a city be built, with a temple in his honor.  There was the ever flowing Winespring, a blessing to all the Ipetian people.  

A fair-sized group had split off from the main in order to form a small faming village to the west of Wijnfontein.  Riet had gotten the idea from Nietzsche, or at least, from what he had been told about Nietzsche's former actions.  Riet agreed that smaller settlements outside could easily provide food and support for the main city.  And they would most certainly need it for the building of the temple.  It was to be made of stone, and be able to stand the hardest tests time could throw at it.  If nothing else, this was to be a testament to the Ipetian people.

code:

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~~~ .♣♣♣.....♣♣♣♣♣.. Φ♣♣♣♣⌂⌂T$»≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑t≡▲▲▲▲⌂▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲⌂⌂▲⌂~~~~~~~~ .♣....ΦΦ...♣♣..Φ Φ♣♣..¥♥⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑↑▲▲⌂⌂.⌂▲▲⌂~~

((So, two new settlements: one hamlet of 25, and the 75 others, plus Silis's men, put Wijnfontein at town size. Also, they start building the temple to Fenneth.  For those interested, it's basically Stonehedge with a little less emphasis on astral orientation.  They're still using stone tools, so it will take quite a few turns before it's completely done, but eventually they'll get there.

code:

Blijzon - Joyous Sun       : C forest, W side       : Ipetian   : City
Heuvelhorloge - Hill watch : W of Blijzon           : Ipetian   : Hamlet
Omhelzingbos - Forest's Embrace: N of Blijzon       : Ipetian   : Hamlet
Klaarweide - Ready Plains  : S of Blijzon           : Ipetian   : Hamlet
Wijnfontein - Wine Fountain: C of S plains          : Ipetian   : Town
Zonsopgangziet - Sunrise watch: E of Wijnfontein    : Ipetian   : Hamlet

((On a side note, we should either change the Pringer settlement symbol or the ruins symbol, as they are the same.))

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 01, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>((I did not explicitly say I took away the alcohole, we can say that I took some of the gravity producing substance of the board?
It was very impulsive of me, sorry...    :( ))</STRONG>

((well, I think I overreacted as well. but since Imp corrected your actions, I have no need to hunt after the elves. Just don't bark into other peoples battles like that again, anyone would be pissed of by that))

----------------------

OOC: Frelock, is there a roof above him ? If so, he flees, not leaving a single feather behind.

If not, he just sits down, observing, but acting like he is again ignoring the "primitives". He will not take any food you may offer him, and instead take from his own waterskin and rations

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 01, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

If Riet allows it Silis begins to build up a "Bastion" for him and his people with the help of the Ipetians. This bastion should look like the formaly Bastion "Kaisertrutz" in my Hometown (Pic1, pic2) with an Moat like it was back in 1490. The Bastion should be Named "Kaciskir". In the uppermost chamber of the central Tower is a shrine for Issha. The Rondell contains 4 Balistas but is mostly used by archers and Crossbowman.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 01, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

Last turn:

Wolk and the others watched as the 'ambassador' took off, straight into the night sky.  He disappeared amongst the stars.  Wolk turned to Stilis, "Did you know he could fly?"

"Stilis, using his keen eyes to see the small speck of dark black dart away, said, "Yes, but we thought it was more of a high jump at the time.  This is unexpected."

Everyone was silent for a minute, and then there was a sudden wave of laughter that rippled through the huge crowd gathered for the festival.  "Did you see how fast he went?  I didn't know a roast duck could be that frightening!"  "Finally, a bird that doesn't try to steal your food!"  "I told you that you shouldn't have come, Lelijk; your face would scare off any being!"  Such jokes resonated through the party, and everyone was in a far more jovial mood.

Wolk, gasping for breath, quieted everyone down in order to make a short speech.  My friends, it appears that our guest didn't appreciate our hospitality!"  Laughter roared back into the audience, though soon enough, it had dissipated back to slight giggles.  "In any case, I believe we can only assume that he has friends who will not be as friendly has him.  Therefore, I call upon the people to prepare:  The Wind blows, and the Reed bends!  We shall take our time, though, and make sure that we are ready.

"As for tonight, however, it seems to me that it would be a shame to let all this good food go to waste.  So for tonight, we Feast!"  This was followed by a loud cheer, and everyone began to dig in.  

Later in the meal, Wolk leaned over to Stilis, and whispered, "We're going to need more patrols in case our friend comes back."

Stilis answered, "Leave it to me; he won't get within three miles of here, no matter how good he is at hiding.  No one knows this forest better than me and my men."

~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~≈~

This turn:

Riet thought about Silis's proposal to build some sort of fortified embassy in Wijnfontein.  It seemed like a decent idea.  It was unlikely that the Ipetians would ever move from this place, so a permanent fortification was reasonable.  "Certainly, you can build in this city," he replied, "and if you help us build this temple, we would gladly provide some manpower to help with your construction."

((The Ipetians in Blizjon and the surrounding hamlets are preparing to migrate; however, they are taking much longer to prepare this time.  They will take two turns to get ready, but when they leave, they will leave no trace at all that they were there.

And Heph, may I just say that you have a really cool hometown.))

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 01, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

"Done my friend! We help where ever we can. I think without your help we hadnt survived our journey and we should reward that. I think since you dont have much soldiers i should add my soldiers to the Guards of Wijnfontein as well."

(ooc: Thanks Frelock. Görlitz (my hometown) has survided WW2 without a scratch only 3 smaler russian bombs where found in my "Backyard" so the historical core looks after 10 years of Restauration like 1450 - 1700. Its like living in a steampunkstory.)

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 01, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

((Finally, it's done. I may have to make a point of not getting into so many battles: this thing was an all-day affair.))

Hearing a shout ring out through the ranks of men high above him, Flavvius and his men knew immediately the current circumstances. The guardsmen made ready to lay waste to Madara, only to find that he had gone, likely off into the sky with his men. Instead, Flavvius called out to them, "Come quickly! We are no longer needed here. And now begins the best part." He said, grinning. Far off, from the face of the cliff, came the clear blaring of a horn.

-----

"Righ' lads, There's th' signal! Inta' th' streets! Go, go, go!"

The soldiers under captain Callidus' command burst forth from their hiding place within the sewers, up into the blazing inferno above. They were all immediately hit by a wave of sweltering heat, but not one of them faltered.
High above them, from within the black clouds that now roiled above Zurinth, came the whoops and bellows of scores of Tengu warriors as they swooped above the flaming rooftops. Suddenly, their battlecries swelled, and twenty warriors burst forth from the smoke, swinging their staves menacingly. Callidus' soldiers raised their crossbows.

"Steady lads, take yer aim nice an' easy..."

The approaching warriors swooped low, almost touching the ground as they sped forward.

"FIRE!"

Twelve bolts sailed through the air towards the approaching warriors. All but one found their marks, and half of the attackers faltered, fell and skidded across the cobblestone street before laying in a heap at the crossbowmen's feet. The remaining nine Tengu veered straight up, back into the shelter of the plumes of smoke, then dropped in again, this time coming straight down upon Callidus and his men.

"SWORDS! Gut th' bassards! Slice their 'eads from their shoulders!"

The soldiers all cast their crossbows aside, drawing their swords from their belts. Just as the nine warriors fell upon Callidus and his men, they all scattered, leaving the Tengu warriors to slam into the ground, disoriented. Two of the Valtan warriors were not quite fast enough, and fell to the enemy's staves. The remaining warriors fell upon the Tengu, slashing and stabbing furiously. Callidus himself was invisible, lost in a flurry of steel, gore, and severed limbs. As the fighting thinned out, four of the Tengu lay dead at the soldier's feet. Each of them turned to look at their captain, to behold an impressive sight: Captain Callidus stood, drenched in blood, atop no fewer than five mangled corpses.

"Y'see that lads? Bleed th' same blood, an' die th' same death, these bassards do. Now les keep movin'."

-----

"'Ere they come, cap'n!"

A dozen of the enemy warriors swept over the flaming docks out towards the small warship. Captain Aramis barely hesitated.

"Alright lads, this is it. Run out those ballistae, scatter shot into th' 'eart of 'em. Make 'em bleed, for House, Guild an' Nation!"

Immediately, the crew sprang into action. The ballistae were readied, and dozens of large, hollow glass spheres were brought up on deck.

"Pick yer targets, make ready lads..."

The attackers swooped in low, ready to drop their volatile payload on the ship.

"FIRE!"

With a mighty twang, three of the ballistae loosed their projectiles into the oncoming force. The first fell short, landing in the water. The next two found their marks, shattering on impact and maiming or decapitating their targets, greivously wounding the rest in a cloud of razor-sharp shards. All but one fell into the flames that now crept out across the waters of the bay. This last warior, upon seeing his companions so brutally struck down, fled off towards the shoreline, only to return moments later with an even greater horde of his allies trailing behind him.

"Starboard, bring those ballistae about! Everyone, reload with firebombs! Aim high! Ready? FIRE!"

Five flaming projectiles soared through the sky towards the oncoming force. And this time, none of them missed their mark.

Perhaps it was a fluke of the wind. Perhaps the timing had been absolutely perfect. Perhaps even Lord Imp himself had blessed those five flying bombs with holy fire, but in any case as each struck it's targets, it burst open, spraying them with flaming oil, and igniting the incindeary bombs they carried. One by one, each of the approaching Tengu warriors flew into the conflagaration, feeding it, until the entire sky was awash with burning rain and scorched corpses.

-----

Across town, the soldiers under the command of captain Rulinda weren't faring quite so well. She and her six two-man heavy crossbow crews were trapped in one of the few stone buildings scattered around Zurinth. They were beginning to run low on ammunition, and more and more Tengu warriors were arriving every minute.

"Ma'am, that was th' last o' th' firebombs!"

"Then switch to scatter shot! Don' let up, lads! We hafta hold 'em off!"

Suddenly, a razor-edged staff sailed in through one of the windows, felling the soldier manning one of the heavy crossbows. Instantly, Rulinda sprang into action, taking up his position and loosing another glass sphere into the throng of Tengu warriors that swarmed around the building. There was a chorus of shgrieks, and another three warriors fell out of the sky into the flaming wreckage. They fired volley after volley into the swarm, whittling them away a little at a time, even as their ammunition began to dwindle. Then there was a flurry of movement: one of the warriors was attempting to crawl through the window. It raised it’s staff high, and brought it down on the head of her crankman. There was a resounding clang as the blow glanced off the soldier’s helmet, and he fell to the floor, stunned. The Tengu stood there for a moment, staring into Rulinda’s eyes with a look of pure bloodlust, before raising it’s staff to strike once again. Reacting quickly and with unnatural strength, Rulinda heaved her heavy crossbow up from it’s pedestal and swung it at the warrior. There was a loud crunch as the warrior’s head was crushed flat against the window frame, leaving a bloody smear as it slumped to the ground. Her crankman, now recovering, stared at her in shock. Rulinda Glared at him.

“Th’ Hell’re ye starin’ at? Get yer arse over ‘ere an’ load me up another shot. This fight en’t over yet!”

-----

Lord Madara sneered at the battle raging far below. Things were not going quite as well as he had planned. Somehow, these... these filthy dogs had managed to defend themselves quite well. Perhaps he had underestimated them? No. These were filthy beasts, hardly capable of putting up much of a fight. All he needed was more men, more resources, and he would return here and wipe them from these lands. He would exterminate them, to the very last snivelling child. He would make them pay for their impudence, they and their heathen god. But not now, not yet…

Madara sounded his horn, and the remains of his army lifted into the sky and flew off to the south.

-----

"Milord, look!"

Lord Flavvius and the remnants of his royal guard were recovering from their latest - and bloodiest - skirmish. They had lost three men, leaving only Flavvius himself, the captain, and two others. One of these two was now pointing off to the south. They all turned, and whaat they saw filled their hearts with pleasure. For sure as the sun was rising from out of the sea, a cluster of tiny specks, all that remained of the Tengu army, was now dwindling into the distance.

“They’re runnin’! Do ye see that? We bloody did it!”

“So we did.” Flavvius answered. But at a terrible price. A massive inferno still raged across much of Zurinth, and only now were the people able to attempt to extinguish the flames before they spread any further.

“Come lads. Now is not the time for rejoicing; we have work to do yet.”
-----

In the year of the White Wheel 1, on the 15th of Dulis, The Siege of Zurinth, First conflict between the Valtans and the Tengu, Widely known by the people as 'Jreengus' took place. Many of our numbers were lost, and much of Zurinth was destroyed, but thanks to the brave actions of the fledgling nation's military, the remnants of Lord Madara's armies were driven out towards the sea.

code:

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~~~ .♣♣♣.....♣♣♣♣♣.. Φ♣♣♣♣⌂⌂⌂$»≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑t≡▲▲▲▲⌂▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲⌂⌂▲⌂~~~~~~~~ .♣....ΦΦ...♣♣..Φ Φ♣♣..¥♥⌂T≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑↑▲▲⌂⌂.⌂▲▲⌂~~

((No, I'm not going to bother explaining the Valtan calendar.))

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 01, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

((Hm, both seem reasonable. After much deliberation and Dr Pepper I vote...
(suspense)
Imp.  (Sorry Akroma)
I'll give my reasoning in an edit once everyone's voted.  I don't wanna influence the vote too much.

Did I take my turn this turn? I don't remember.  Anyway nothing really happens, The clearcutting to the north continues, but the outpost isn't big enough to fry another forest icon yet.

Armok does yer ‼elf‼ camp at night or in the day in the desert?  Your ‼elf‼ will likely come across a scouting squad next turn and I wanna know how to approach it.  A bright moving light within sight of the city at night will cause any sensible commander to order a large scale search.))

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 02, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

[OOC: Well, I agree that both are good, although both have their faults too.  I like Akroma's for the fact that almost everybody survived, but I'm afraid that I find Imp's to be more realistic.  
If you haven't voted yet, don't read on.  Vote on your own decisions and observations.  If I see anyone who says, "I agree with Frelock," I will pull out their spleen and force them to eat it (metaphorically speaking, of course)   ;) Not to mention my reasoning isn't that great.
So I've decided to strike my reasoning.  It wasn't good reasoning, and it only led to arguing.  I'll let my vote stand, but that's all.

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 02, 2008, 12:23:00 am »

explanation as to why things hapened as they happened:

There are 100-120 people in this city, which rounds up to a number of 50-70 houses. When there are 60 soldiers flying above the city, each one of them with 2-3 bombs, even if they just drop them unto a general area instead of a specific target, it eventually set at least 80% of the town on fire.
Even if they are build mostly of stone, even stone houses have woode roofs and wooden furniture, I can assure you, they'd burn quite well.
Lastly, my arguement from earlyer stands: Hitting fast moving target at great distance with a stationary ballistae, that's MUCH more of a drop and pray than throwing bombs at houses.
The reason why I decided against confronting them in actual combat was, that I only wanted destroy the city, as opposed to his civilisation. They had orders just to burn it down, not to come and suicide rush the streets. Furthermore, I had about twice as much soldiers as the valtans, I want this to be taken into account.

well, whatever, votes are votes, let's see the other votes that are still missing

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 02, 2008, 01:19:00 am »

[OOC: Bad reasoning ahead; get your own!
(Reasoning struck again.)

Like I always say: I could be wrong, and have been before on many occasions.]

((Edit: You know, now that I think about it, the rules were created to prevent just such an argument, right?  Perhaps we simply shouldn't post our reasonings.  And I am sorry, Akroma; as I said, I like your version better because casualties were kept at a minimum.  However, I think Imp's is more reasonable, in this twisted mind of mine.  Perhaps to the general public yours is better, in which case, you will win out.  I wish you the best of luck.))

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 02, 2008, 04:46:00 am »

nevermind the whole thing, I send a PM to Imp, looking for compromise between btoh stories, as both are far too one sided.

How about, both version are written now, how about a third party who has some spare time makes an attempt to merge them ?

(also, the vial Madara had on him was for demonstration purposes, for the army, think of 2-liter version)

(also, take into account that eventhough many of my soldiers were untrained, it is safe to assume that the same counts for the valtans. If they were trained at all, then by shooting at normal archery ranges. Good luck hitting a fast moving target at a distance of more than 30 feet)

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 81