Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 81

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods II: an RP Thread  (Read 106368 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods II: an RP Thread
« Reply #1095 on: June 20, 2008, 10:50:02 am »

Turn 33:

Code: [Select]
♣♣│♣♣....⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
♣♣└≈≈─○⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
.♣♣♣│⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
..⌂▲○▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲^▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
.⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂○┐..♣♣♣.÷. ▲▲▲⌂⌂○⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲∞══∞═╗⌂⌂▲○▲ ▲▲⌂....└┐..♣♣♣#. ⌂⌂⌂♣♣│♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲^▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲╔╝~~~~╚═∞▲│▲ ▲z♣♣♣...≈≈.....♣ ♣...┌┘♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲∞╝~~⌂⌂~~~║▲│▲ ▲▲⌂♣♣♣.≈≈≈≈..... ┌─┐.│...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂▲▲⌂~⌂∞‼╡▲ ▲▲z═z╦═/≈≈└──┐.. │.└─≈≈─────○▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲┌┘▲ ▲▲║⌂╚╣♣┌┘....└#─ ┘....≈...♣♣.⌂▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲‼‼┘▲▲ ▲▲║⌂♣z.│.....⌂↑↑ ........♣♣♣♣┌○▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂○⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲‼══╗ ▲⌂Y♣♣..│...⌂⌂#~↑ .........♣♣♣│⌂▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○▲▲╚ ═‼⌂════╪══⌂⌂~║~. ..........♣♣│♣⌂▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│♣⌂▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ⌂⌂...⌂.│..⌂⌂~╠═# ≈≈≈≈≈≈....♣♣│♣⌂▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣└┐δ⌂ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲♥▲▲▲⌂⌂. .♣..⌂⌂⌂└v┐..╔╝≈» ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....│♣♣§
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣└┐⌂ ⌂⌂⌂○▲▲▲▲Å╗▲▲⌂... ♣♣♣♣.⌂...├──Θ»≈≈ ≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈..┌≈≈♣♥
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂│♣ ♣⌂⌂│⌂⌂▲⌂⌂≡⌂⌂...♣ ♣╔═╗♣♣.♣♣│....≈≈ ≈≈↑↑⌂≈≈≈≈≈.│.≈♣♣
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..┌─┴─ ─┐δ≈⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂Å..Å♣♣♣ ╔╝≈╚v♣♣♣┌┘....≈≈ ≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈─┘...~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○──┘.⌂♣ ♣└─≈≈⌂⌂....┌──── Å≈≈v╨─┬═Θ♣....≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈....~~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..⌂⌂⌂ ♣♣≈≈δδç───Θ┘...♣ ♣≈♣♣♣s└─┘♣...≈≈» ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈...╔£.~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂... .♣♣♣δ..♣..♣♣♣..♣ ♣♣♣v♣♣╞÷╞..≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈↑↑↑↑£╝▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲^▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~. .♣♣.║♣.♣♣♣♣♣♣♣.. ♣♣♣≡♣♣╞╞..≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈»ææ⌂≡⌂▲▲▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~~~ .♣♣♣║.Φ..♣♣♣♣♣.. .♣♣♣♣⌂¥⌂æ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑⌂▲▲▲▲▲⌂▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲⌂⌂▲⌂~~~~~~~~ .♣..╚ΦΦΦ══ΦΦΦ... ♣♣♣..¥♥¥≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑⌂⌂▲⌂⌂.⌂▲▲⌂~~
▲▲⌂⌂~~⌂~~~~~~~~~ ...≡..Φ....Φ.... .....⌂⌂»≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈»¥¥▲♀..♀.▲⌂⌂~↑
⌂⌂~~≈≈≈≈≈↑↑⌂⌂~~~ ↑....≈≈≈........ ..≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈¥▲▲⌂≈≈♀▲⌂~↑≈
~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂▲▲▲▲ ⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.¥.≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲⌂.⌂▲⌂~~~
≈≈≈↑↑≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂⌂⌂ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂¥═¥≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~
≈≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈.↑≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂¥▲↑¥≡≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲⌂⌂
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈.≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈↑⌂⌂▲♥⌂~~≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂▲▲⌂~

Walking down the main road of Mindgates, Orion was quite pleased with what he saw. He was passing through Mindgates for his monthly inspection, and all he could see was perftect. Golems and !!elves!! hand in hand (atleast the more heat-resistant Golems), new buildings and shops springing up everywhere... There was just one last place to inspect, and that was the sight of the future Skynet Complex.
"Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" Moaned Abro.
"No" Replied Orion.
"Ok... Now?"
"NO! For Al'Qwat's sake, Abro, try to act like a council member should act! What do you think our people would think of there leaders if they heard you right now?!?"
"You're right. They would know what a slavedriver you are, making me walk such long distances for the whole day."
Orion just gave up. Abro would learn sooner or later what it meant to be a leader of a race. Hopefully. For now, all that had to be done was check the new constructions, and then they could both call it a day.

"Hey... Orion, are you... feeling this?" Asked Abro in a completely different tone.
"Feeling wha-? Oh, what the-"
A huge tremor started shaking the ground. Suddenly, a fissure appeared right in the middle of the road, and a huge figure emerged from it.
"What in the name of the !!elven!! god Armok is THAT!" Shouted Abro.
Orion didn't have the time to wonder where had Abro gotten that phrase from. He jump to the side just in time as the emerging creature smashed into the road were he had just stood.

"Quick," Said Abro to a nearby !!elf!!, "Run to the mine entrance and tell all the iron miners to run here as fast as possible, and to bring there picks. And you," said Abro while turning to face a Bauxite Golem smith, "Run to the large smithy on the next block and tell the Golem smiths to run here with any large metal items they can get. And shout out to the !!elven!! research center on the other side of the road, tell them to get any dangerous material they have at hand."
During that time, all Orion could do was try not to be smashed by the giant worm. That's all he could think it could be: a giant worm. But where had it come from? Wait, it's made of... iron??? A GIANT IRON WORM GOLEM??? Orion swore under his breath that if Merh's research team wasn't dead already, he would kill them. He almost chuckled at that.
Just then, all seemed to happen at ounce. An iron golem appeared from no where and hit the thing with all his might put into his pick. That barely seemed to scratch the abomination, but it lurched back. After that, blow after blow from picks and fists and many other metal objects, even chairs and tables, slowly sent the creature back. Finally, with a cry resembling a huge rusted door's squeak, the creaure went back from the hole it had dug.
Among all the exclamations and cheers and people wondering what had happened, Orion could barely put in a word. Finally, he shouted, "I thank you all for your help, for I am sure I would have been a fancy platinum rug if you hadn't assisted me. This incident calls for the formation of a city guard, for which recruitement shall begin tomorrow. Anyone wishing to join, speak to Abro Vas.
"Me?!?" cried Abro.
"Yes, you might still have some things to learn, but atleast you know how to act when it is time to act. And this is not the first time you prove that to me."
After Abro, still shocked, left to oversee the preparation for the town guard, Orion hurried on his way to the Golem and !!elven!! Advanced Soulforging Research Facility. The Skynet complex just had to wait for another day.

=============================================================================
((No population growth, all work is going into the projects being built))

Settlements:
Alchemia: 89
(the one in middle of desert, btw its on a low hill tile not desert tile)

Terra: 92
(the one west of desert)

Altus Tumulosus: 58
(settlement NE of Terra)

Eterna: 42
(east of desert)

Nova: 29
(SE of desert)

Important People (and their "titles"):
- [hero] Orion Primus, "Guardian of the Seals": Platinum Golem decorated with bands of Gold and implanted with a Star Ruby in hist chest and inscribed with many glowing runes throughout his body (Nova)
- [master miner] Ferrum Animus, "Chief of Diggers": Large Steel Golem (Nova)
- [master glassmaker] Abro Vas, "Prince of Prisms": Glass Golem reinforced with bands of Steel (Nova)
- [master jeweler] Derna Farn, "Diamond Fingers": Copper Golem with hands made of gold and the tip of the fingers diamond (Nova)- [master mechanic] Grin Tooth, "Gear-Lord": Copper Golem with a large Silver gear embedded in the chest and decorated with spikes of silver (Nova)
- [master smith] Merh Konlus, "Metal Bane": Large Bauxite Golem menacing with spikes of Steel (Mindgates, unknown exactly were)

Current projects:
-Construction of 3 level underground complex for the Skynet, 19% Complete
-Construcion of a new factory, the first of its kind, 40% Complete (Check next turn for the information about the factory)
-Construction of the Skynet Core has began in Ariquemera 15% (Armok should add this in his post)

<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 20, 2008, 03:21:13 pm »

((Armok has been wondering IIRC what the Thelash can and can't do with souls, so here's a series of short posts to explain how the Thelash view magic.))

Thelash Magical Theory by Pr. Helesh, Office of Crystallurgy and Soulistics

Types of Mana

As far as our knowledge goes, there are only 16 types of mana existing in the universe. We have identified most of them but a few remain a complete mystery as they have not been encountered. Here are the types we know of :

Water, Life, Displacement, Air, Transmutation, Divination, Light, Fire, Darkness, Death, Nature.

These elements, and those we know nothing about, form four groups which are Creation, Change, Destruction and Balance. These four groups are at the base of the existence of the universe. Unlike their name seems to show, they are not opposite one another, they are complementary. Neither group could exist without the help of the others. For instance if the group of Creation disappeared then the group of Destruction would have nothing to destroy, the group of Change would not have anything to change and the group of Balance would not be needed to maintain the balance. The whole existence of the universe relies on the precarious balance between these four groups.

Therefore, every thing that exists has a certain amount of mana in it during it's existence. Lifeless things tend to draw mana toward them explaining why the universe is not an amourphous mass of raw mana. It should however be noted that lifeless things can only contain a limited amount of mana and when all things are full, mana will slowly congregate to create new things, but this process takes thousands of years. During this process, mana stays in its raw form. You will have already guessed that the process of filling is what is called Balance of Mana and the other one is Change of Mana.

Now, you all are wondering how mana is made in the first place. The answer is rather simple, Creation of Mana. It comes from living creatures. Unlike lifeless creatures, living creatures don't draw mana to themselves but produce it instead. This production of mana creates what we call the soul. But the soul cannot exist by itself, else it would dissipate into the mana, hence it's need for a receptacle. As long as the receptacle exists the soul can continue producing mana, reinforcing itself. Different kinds of creatures produce different kinds of mana. However it has been discovered that humans tend to produce every kind of mana, but the reason for this is unknown. As an obvious implication of the aforementionned facts, in areas where many creatures have died large amounts of mana are to be expected.

And now for the ultimate process, Destruction of Mana. Destruction of Mana occurs naturally when too much mana is gathered in one single place. It usually manifests itself in mysterious phenomena like glowing lights or illusions. The manifestation can be more violent like space-time ripples which usually result in rifts opening to other worlds. Mana is consumed in the process. Mana can also be destroyed by intervention of a sentient creature which will draw a bit of the mana to itself to create what sages call a controlled manifestation of saturation. The less intelligent races call this process spell-casting and those who draw the mana are called spellcasters. The amount of mana they can draw depends of what is called magical affinity and will be explained in another lesson.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:24:44 pm by Istrian »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 20, 2008, 04:59:11 pm »

((I suppose Polifar is doing the most of my work.))

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Turn 33: (Autumn)

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂○⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲‼══╗ ▲⌂Y♣♣..│...e⌂#~↑ .........♣♣♣│⌂▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○▲▲╚ ╞‼⌂════╪══⌂⌂~║~. ..........♣♣│♣⌂▲

Efil-inira: 44 !!elves!! (hamlet) (+2 since last turn)
Ariquemera: 80 inhabitants. 70 !!elves!!, 10 soulforged elves in golem bodies. (town+hamlet) -25 since last turn)
Mindgates: 80 inhabitants. 60 !!elves!!, 20 soulforged elves in golem bodies, as well as many golems living in nova working in Mindgates, also a few experimental… things. (town) (+30 since last turn)

Mining outpost by Ariquemera: 20 elves (outpost) (+0 since last turn)

In armies/expeditions: 3 !!elves!!
Other: 0 working/travelling between Ariquemera and Efil-inira.
Total: 21? !!elves!!

((Fothacema sets of whit Dracon migrant group towards Efil-inira.
Iranineleni sobs in the giant’s fire-pit.
Amizoimi live happily whit the Zefies.
Efil-inira cuts of communications whit the no-longer-elves (according to them) of Ariquemera. A general suspicion towards technology grows.
 “The Great Façade of Efil-inira” begun, sealing/deconstruction of old city 100% complete, building the castle 60% complete, needed parts for castle ordered from Ariquemera have all arrived long ago.
Lots of various cutting edge science and building and infrastructure is made in Mindgates, there is a large inflow of migrants from Ariquemera.
Various projects in Mindgates, see Polifars posts, among others the humble beginnings of Eliyeecate, Skynet.
The battle golems project is begun under the temporary name “Guardians Project” in Ariquemera:
Planning done by Ilecaaye, iron prototype bodies are begun construction (95% complete) and some various internal components like optics and computer components are begun.
An unmatched quality star sapphire weighting almost a kilogram is found in the Mining outpost by Ariquemera, and will be used for the core of Skynet.
The beginnings of the Tungsten shells for the skynet core are begun in Ariquemera. (20%)
The beginnings of the more delicate components for the skynet core are begun in Ariquemera. (5%)
Elven soulforging practices into golem bodies are begun, and growing a more common practice in Aiquemera and Mindgates. The bodies are usually silver and/or platinum and more delicate and artistic in their design than ordinary golem bodies.))

List of important people:
Acathiima, hero and leader of Efil-inira: Legendary organizer, skilled bow!!elf!! (Doing paperwork and ruling from The Seat of Authority, in Efil-inira.)
Yanenirica-Awidi, advisor and secretary of Acathiima: professional lawyer, professional diplomat, legendary organizer, master politician, legendary liar, legendary flatterer. (Doing paperwork and ruling by The Seat of Authority, in Efil-inira.)
Ilecaaye, ground-breaking geologist: grand-master miner, grand legendary geologist, talented metalworker, master chemist, skilled mechanic, master mathematician. (Working on “Guardians Project” in Ariquemera.)
Fothacema, scout/diplomat: professional scout, skilled ranger, talented diplomat (negotiating whit the Dracon.)
Iranineleni, lawyer: professional lawyer, professional diplomat, skilled organizer, novice politician, dabbling jackass, dabbling scout. (Captured and “enslaved” by storm giants.)
Amizoimi, scout/diplomat: skilled scout, skilled ranger, talented bow!!elf!!, talented diplomat, novice middlemanagement, novice cartographer. (negotiating whit the Zefies.)

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 21, 2008, 01:47:08 pm »

((Hi. I've been reading this thread for a while and I'm at least semiseriously considering joining. I've been toying with the idea of a race of machine people or robots, but I think there isn't space for yet another race of sentient constructs. Of course, it might be fun to see how two construct races, one magic, one purely technological would interact.
Another interesting part would be to see how the 'bots would react to magic, which they can't sense or use very well, if at all. It would be a good balancing factor considering how most other races have some sort of magical/divine affinity.

I've given a lot of thought to the balancing issues with such a race as well as the method of placing them on the board, how they utilize resources etc. but I still haven't come up with a suitable name. I would very much like the current players' opinions on how to make this work to the enjoyment of all. Here's what I've come up with so far:
I plan to enter the board by dropping a deteriorating spacecraft containing a handful of functioning worker drones on the board at some location, which will be decided later. I intend to balance their positive traits (durability, fearlessness, efficient production and so forth) with a few interesting drawbacks (such as the aforementioned inability to properly utilize magic, having their more powerful technology lost, requiring lots of power to function at peak efficiency, having trouble dealing with "meat").

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 21, 2008, 02:19:42 pm »

the more the merrier. But right now ethere seems to be some confusion with the turn change, so if I was you, I'd wait to enter the board untill Jamini declares turn 34.

Untill then, join us on IRC #BotG

if you don't know how to use IRC:

- go to http://www.worldirc.org/index.php?page=webchat

- type /nick Prometheus

- type /join #BotG

there we can discuss the specifics of your race
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: June 21, 2008, 03:57:27 pm »

RP - Turn 33 -

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Karatomca -

"Hello Leam."
"Hello Leam *giggle*"
"Hello you both and why are you giggling Aris?"
"Well you ha .. haha... you look so ... hahahi ... stupid in that uniform."
"I can explain that! I have  an dinner today with the Ipetians and the Traders from the Vulpians."
"But red?"
"Why Red this is a shade of Black!"
"No Leam ..." said Ter "... this is a dark shade of red."
"You want to fool me right. Guard please come in."
"Yes my lord?" asked the Guard.
"What colour has this coat?"
"Its red my Lord."
"Guard is this a conspiracy against me?"
"What? No my Lord there is no conspiracy. I've nothing done! Please dont kill me!"
"Kill you?! Well ahm no its Ok Guard go back on your station."
"Whoa that Guy must been drunk." said Aris.
"Well we all got an long letter from Silis so whats your opinion?"
"Its an interesting project. I go down there and would take Aris with me if you allow that Leam."
"Well then i come too. I would like to see it by myself but first we have other problems. Ter we had lost some hatchlings in the last winter at Irumathra you have to find a way to heathen our people up during the Winter. Aris I want you to stay here. I have seen your reports on that Thermal generators at Rugkadest and i think we should build one here. The problem is to get to the Bottom of the Lake and to build something there. Because you are the one of us with the best knowledge on water, pressures and stuff i want you to find a way how to to build under water."
"You are kidding right? You are not serious on this project." said Aris.
"I am serious about that."
"Well Aris if we can build houses under the surface of the lake we can expand the living space of Karatomca very much."
"Yeah Ter but this is an insane task!"
"I ... We trust in your knowledge and we think you are the one for this task because nobody else can do it."
"What about the material? I have to use some really big tubes and so on. We don't have anything we can use for this."
"Well your brother had send us an alchemical receipt for an stone that you can sculpt like clay and that hardens to a decent building Material. He calls it Beton. We have plenty of the Ingredients here in Karatomca."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 ((ooc: Niphanter: Cenna is my prisoner for stealing an Cultural important object (see Rp turn 32) if you dont have any idea to free her. Jamini since Cenna is an Vulpian and in prison your traders might have to say something too.

Then there is the formal dinner beetween the Ipetians, the Vulpinians and the Roshani so i want to discuss it with you Frelock and Jamini on IRC if possible.))
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 21, 2008, 10:05:02 pm »

Turn 33:

Riet looked down at the ten children gathered around him.  They were the future of the Ipetian people, and one of them was picking his nose.  Riet sighed, and, pointing at the child in question, chided "Stop that; its a bad habit."  The other children looked at the offender and giggled.  "And all of you laughing at him won't make anything better."  Their laughter ceased, and Riet began to lecture on the plainshapers.

"You are all here because you have a power within you.  It is the ability to create life and restore balance.  That is the power of the plainshapers.  Eventually, you will learn to use your powers in a way which may seem impossible right now; you will cause trees to spring up in minutes, you will be able to make wounds heal themselves, and you will know how to guide nature back to its true form.  You shall be the guides and leaders of your people."

Reit gave them a moment to let this sink in.  "Now that you know the severity of your station, let us begin our lesson.  The earth is the source of all life.  We come from the Earth, and we return to the Earth.  You, however, can do something else: you can 'talk' with the Earth, and with Life itself.  This is why plants will grow better with your encouragement.  You literally persuade them into growing faster."

The children looked interested, and Riet continued.  "But it's not just simple talk; there is also the matter of will.  We are beings of Life, yet we have an advantage of a will.  It is the will that makes your decisions, and, if properly controlled, can influence the decisions of other forms of Life.  One of the easiest forms of Life to control is the 'free' life, which is not really attached to any being.  It comes from living things, and flows in the Earth.  You have the ability to influence the general direction of that flow.  You 'will' Life into the plants, and as a result, they grow.  This is the basic principle behind the first aspect of plainshaping."

((Sorry, creative juices just aren't flowing well right now.  Riet's back in Wijnfontein, which grows into a metropolis.   That's about it.))
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:17:11 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 21, 2008, 10:37:39 pm »

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○──┘.⌂♣ ♣└─≈≈⌂⌂....┌──── Å≈≈v╨─┬═Θ♣...P»≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈....~~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..⌂⌂⌂ ♣♣≈≈δδç───Θ┘...♣ ♣≈♣♣♣s└─┘♣...≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈...╔£.~~~

X-2's Log.

Well, my friend, it's been a tremulous few months. I'll be the the first to admit it. We got hit by massive storm and much damage was caused. We lost several pringers and the ship took a nasty beating, and we were thrown massively off-course. Fortunately, our massively off-course direction took us straight to land. Sweet, sweet land. There's only one problem, and that's the lack of any mountains here, but I think we'll find some soon enough.

We're leaving behind sixteen pringers to guard and repair the ship while the remaining twenty-eight of us (including me) head out to explore this strange new place. Hopefully we'll find a more suitable habitat quickly enough, but our odds don't seem high. The crew IS happy with the mere fact we've found land, so their morale will be quite high for a while.

Anyway, I have to go now to give a rallying speech to some of the seedier mates.

END LOG.

((No matter what I do, whenever I add the map to my post it looks incredibly screwy.))
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 22, 2008, 03:10:09 am »

so, will there be a turn 34 anytime soon ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 22, 2008, 05:33:17 am »

A new face appears near the board. One made of some sort of plastic, shaped like a mostly featureless white mask, with a strange glow emanating from the eyes. It is attached to a body composed of various metals of the highest grade and decorated with glowing circuitry.

"Hello", it says. "I hope I am not interrupting anything. What is this you are playing?"

The mask peers at the map for a while.

"I see. This could be interesting. I think I will take part. Next turn, yes. I will have to analyze the board logs."

With that, the Machine God sits down and draws up the game log on a separate screen.

"Please, do continue."

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: June 22, 2008, 07:34:26 am »

(( Well, since Jamini seems to be missing, I will start turn 34 instead. I hope no one objects))

Turn 34 - winter
--------------------------------

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..⌂⌂⌂ ♣♣≈≈δδç───Θ┘...♣ ♣≈≡♣♣s└─┘♣...≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈...╔£.~~~
▲▲▲▲^▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~. .♣♣.║♣.♣♣♣♣♣♣♣.. ♣♣♣♣♣♣╞╞..≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈»ææ⌂¥⌂▲▲▲⌂~~~
≈≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈.↑≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂¥▲↑¥¥≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲⌂⌂

The Makai settlergroup opens a new settlement, the hamlet Kakoi.
The Murakami settlergroup forcemarches two tiles woards the lake and will settle there next turn. The Tengu masons and the vulpian construction workers are building the neutral palace: 50% complete

Mohayiga+harbour: City : 119
Eientei: Metropolis : 141
Murakami: Metropolis : 154
Makai : Town : 107
Kakoi: Hamlet : 40
Divine shrine : cloister : 20

Murakami settler group: 36 people on their way north-west

---------------------------------

At the neutral construction site:

"hahaha, you call this building ?"

The Tengu workers were mocking the Vulpian conscrution workers, with their saws, and nails and blueprints and all others sort of weird equippment that the Tengu didn't even have a word for.

"Really, how do you guys even manage to build enough houses to survive this winter ? Let's go guys, lets show them how real building is done !"

The earth-shifters assembled in a line which had been marked by the architects as the place for a future wall. After a short moment of concentration, they trusted their staffs into the ground and slowly, ever so slowly, a wall grew right out of the ground, swung in a beautiful arc. It was already complete as it was, engraved with pictures of Tengu and Vulpians trading.

"You can leave the most stuff for us. Just mark where the walls shall be and we will raise them. Untill then, cut down these aweful burnt trees, they ruin the mood"

--------------------------

The three students had gathered at their usual place. Alongside with them, stood two medics, prepared for whatever bloodhsed was going to follow if they failed the final test.
They had been practising the techniques of the air-fist for 6 months now, and it was time to put them to a test.

"This, is the crossbow that will aim at you. And these, are the bolts that will make the difference between a true air-shifter, and a mere amateur. Fear not, I will not aim for your vital parts. There is a good chance you will survive. Or at least, there should be, if your medics are just half as good as they pretend to be."

"Hey!" interrupted one of the medics.

"Take it easy, I am just joking. I have full faith in you, else I wouldn#t fire at my precious students, would I ? And now, please the first one of you, step forth !"

The first in the row gulped down, then took his place. he had been training for months now, but he was nervous never the less.

"Are you ready ? i will fire now.

3 !!"

Whatever followed happened in a split second. For whatever good fortune lay upon him, it was also present today, as the first bolt was laying shattered on the ground.

"The second one, please step forth !"

The second one was full of confidence. He was always the best in their lessons, and if his compaions managed, he would surely be able to do the same.

"1...

3...!"

A cry of pain. The bolt had lodged firmly inside his shoulder. Immediatly the medics sprung to his side. Without even akcnowledging the wounded student, Tomoe called the last to take his stand. The last one was shaking, shocked by the failure of his comrade.

"I...I refuse. I can't do it !"

"1..."

"NO. Don't sh..."

"2..."

"oot!"

"3!"

Hardly even realizing what was happening, the student reflected the bolt with mere instinct. Tomoe came rushing, revealing a hidden knife in his hand, trying to stab at the student, once, twice, three times. Each time it was blocked or reflcted, by reflex more than by concentration.

"HAHAHAHAHA. I thought so. Truely exceptional! The two of you pass. Congratulations. As for you there bleeding on the ground. You have talent. But you lack concentration. Work on it.
I will stay in this village only a little longer. I will wait for spring to come, then I will take my leave. Untill then, feel free to consult me with whatever questions you have."

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 22, 2008, 08:41:28 am »

Profile:
The Machine God
Spheres: Technology, machinery
Race: Synth
Civ: The Synthetic Nexus
Site type: Hills
Hero symbol: H
Army symbol: m
Settlement symbol: ☼

The Synth were created long ago by a technologically advanced species as tools and labor. Over time they became more and more complex, until they became sentient. They predicted their creators would attempt to exterminate them, so they struck first, eliminating their makers within a few years. The Synth stripped the planet bare of resources, which they realized in hindsight wasn't exemplary resource management. They left their home in vast colony ships, one of which is the Exodus, a metallic hulk which has slowly deteriorated over years in vacuum. It has fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) entered the gravity well of a planet  currently in use as entertainment for transcended beings, gods if you will.

Synths themselves have no standardized form. They are usually suited to a certain area of expertise while lacking in everything else. Industrial synths are large, cumbersome and require a lot of maintenance, whereas small, fast survey drones are designed to be as self-reliant as possible, to a certain limit. Most of the on-board systems on Exodus have failed or are failing, and it isn't really capable of a controlled landing. This will lead to severe cutbacks on salvageable technology and infrastructure, but they will start out with a large amount of scrap metal.

-----

"I am done with the logs. I suppose I should get started." The Machine God tinkers with a small piece of metal, forming a miniature of the Exodus, complete with vacuum and asteroid damage. It is held above the board for a moment.

"Synchronizing with the board in 3...2...1.."

The Machine God lets go.

-----

When a few hundred tons of disintegrating metal enters the atmosphere, it will be visible in a very large area to anyone looking in the same direction, even during the day, assuming there is little cloud cover. It falls in frightening silence, large pieces tearing off and burning up dozens of kilometres above the surface. Anyone within at least 4 tiles cannot help but notice the impact as the wreckage rips a scar across the landscape, trailing fire and smoke. It finally comes to rest at the foot of the north-eastern mountain range.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲╔╝~~~~╚═∞▲│▲ ▲z♣♣♣...≈≈.....♣ ♣...┌┘♣♣♣⌂☼▲▲▲▲▲

The wreck creaks as it settles. A hull panel falls out. A gleaming figure emerges from within and walks away, wobbling. Other shapes emerge. A few hulking, plated ones. Several multi-legged ones with a variety of tool arms.
They assemble in a circle with the first one in the middle. To most life forms on the board, there would only be silence. To the congregrated synths, there would be a buzz of queries, responses and requests for orders.

The gleaming figure, the leader, is silent, processing the gathered data. Orders are then sent and received. A small, wheeled surveyor is sent to scout out the nearby lands. It speeds off into the distance. The security personnel establish a secure perimeter. The engineers begin dismantling parts of the wreck for scrap metal. They would salvage everything useful and turn the empty hull into a secure base. Sadly, out of the hundreds of drones only a handful had survived with their critical systems undamaged. The rest were scrapped.
Reports from the salvage teams were disappointing. Out of the systems that weren't beyond repair remained only the power core and parts of the databanks. Sadly, most of their records were lost and the power core wouldn't last long. They would have to dismantle it soon, or risk a critical failure, leading to meltdown.

The synths would have to set up solar collectors, but it wouldn't be enough if they were to set up any kind of advanced infrastructure. Preliminary estimates suggested geothermal energy sources in the nearby mountains. Surely there would also lay whatever materials were required. The flatlands to the west did not seem to be of much use. They contained few minerals and were infested with local biomass.

The Master Controller gazed across the lands from on top of the wreckage, hoping that this world could be made to last longer than the last.

-----

The Machine God nods at the board, satisfied.

"You will propably understand that I will keep intervention to a minimum. These are a people who have a lot of trouble with the concept of gods. I would rather not confuse the poor things any more than necessary. I wonder how they will cope with magic. They have a rather tenuous link to mana, as they are neither lifeless nor alive in the sense biological life forms are. This should produce rather...interesting results, to say the least."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 05:28:23 am by Prometheus »

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 22, 2008, 10:53:45 am »

Shel had watched the event with great curiosity. He had been able to follow the falling object's trajectory up to the moment it went beyon the northern peaks. Now he was preparing an expedition to see what was that ball of fire that had landed so close to Thelash lands. He had had to wait until the supply airship came to the citadel before requisitionning it for exploration. It was nowhere near the grandeur and perfection of the Shuhalal but it would be more than enough for such a short trip. Quickly he had assembled a crew of 7 people and left the citadel.

==================================================================================

Helesh walked in the streets of Shesh. He had been thinking on the lecture he was about to give on magical affinity. The tall marble tower of the Mindpillar came into sight, and something came to Helesh's acute hearing. An explosion. He quickly looked up and saw the smoke coming out of a hole on the eleventh floor of the Mindpillar tower. He knew exactly what was the cause and that he was partly responsible in being late with the lecture. He made his way to the site of the explosion. The Thelash there were mostly unharmed.

"Oh. Hello Magister Helesh." said one of the young Thelash with a touch of worry in his voice. "It was just an accident."
"I know" answered Helesh. "You tried to seize the strands of magic in the air and then you got all excited and tried to cast a spell, didn't you ?"
The embarassed silence was more than an answer.
"Now everyone please find someplace to sit and I'll begin today's lesson. It should be more than enough to explain why the Thelash can't directly alter the magic strands that hang around us."
============================================================
Thelash Magical Theory by Pr. Helesh, Office of Crystallurgy and Soulistics

Magical Affinity

Previously I stated that anything that exists contains a certain amount of mana. Today we are going to focalize on living creatures exclusively. The amount of mana contained in a living creature determines the inborn abilities of a creature. For instance a fish has a predominant composition of water mana but little to no air mana. This explains why a fish can easily live underwater while it dies when exposed to air. The souls of some creatures are made of more mana than others, justifying the fact that some species are obviously better at things than others.

But the most important fact is that all creatures cn affect the flow of mana surrounding them. The amount of mana they are able to affect directly depends of the amount of mana their soul is made of. That amount of mana is what we call magical affinity. And this determines the effectiveness of manipulating mana flows. This direct manipulation of mana flows is what is called spellcasting. To cast a spell, a creature has to gather the mana it needs for the spell and then will the mana to take the desire shape. This creates the magical effect called a spell and destroys the mana used to create it.

This also has the side-effect of imbalancing the mana in the spellcaster, thus increasing his magical affinity with the elements he is using. The unbalance can be so great that the creature might change completely its soul or shape. This is why weak spellcasters attempting strong spells and succeeding cannot expect to be unchanged.

Now you will all have guessed why the Thelash cannot cast spells. It is simply because the concentration of mana in us is too low, so low that a part of us continues to exist beyond the destruction of our physical enveloppe. Of course, this is only ine of many theories that tries to explain this. Another interesting theory says that our will is strong enough so that the little mana our souls have can be willed to remain at one place; this theory also has the advantage of explaining the existence of ghosts.

It should be noted that while we cannot manipulate magical flows directly, we have the ability to have others do it for us, by compelling their souls to our will. And the last way we have to manipulate magic is through Symbolic Magic which will be explained in the next lecture.

===========================================================
Thlash was getting impatient. The wind that had borne them so far seemed to have changed direction as if willing the airship to continue with its mission northwards instead of making a detour to the west. Still, Thlash's resolve held and he would not give up until he found out what that menacing presence was.
===========================================================
((An army of 7 leaves the citadel aboard an airship, the new one looks more like a 19th century Ironclad, with four masts and sails on the sides, as do all Thelash airships except the first two.
Image of an Ironclad http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/FNLave1854.jpg ))

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○▲▲╚ ╞‼⌂════╪══⌂⌂~║~. ..........♣♣│s⌂▲

Shushaw Shesh              : NE Forest              : Thelash   : Flying Hamlet(32)
Shushaw Hath               : N of Sh. Shesh         : Thelash   : Citadel(24)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 22, 2008, 12:10:07 pm »

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○▲▲╚ ╞‼⌂════╪══⌂⌂~║~. ..........♣♣│s⌂▲
▲▲⌂⌂~~⌂~~~~~~~~~ ......Φ....Φ.... .....⌂⌂»≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈»¥¥▲♀..♀.▲⌂⌂~↑
⌂⌂~~≈≈≈≈≈↑↑⌂⌂~~~ ↑.≡..≈≈≈........ ..≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈¥▲▲⌂≈≈♀▲⌂~↑≈

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Karatomca -
     - Aris -

"I said use more Sand! And you move that Pipesection on its Raft."
"Madam?"
"Yes?!"
"The Ropes are ready for your inspection."
"Ok show them to me."
"Yes madam."

"You call that highest Quality? Are you kidding me? Is this an mad Joke?"
"No Madam thats the best we have."
"Make new ones. The best would be you make them with an metallcore. And i want them 5 Metres longer and 1 centimetre more in diameter."
"Madam? Ropes from Metal? That's impossible!"
"Well then you have 3 Choices. 1. You do it and i am happy about the results. 2. Im not happy and you get executed or 3. You commit suicide right now. Im sure you prefer the first of your options."
"Me Madam?"
"Yes Pepe you, you are from now on my new Ropemaster and now hush before you get some additional impossible tasks"
"Yes madam."
"You! Dont forget to give the stealgrates, thin Ropes and cloth in the Beton. I want it as good as possible!"

- Irumathra -
     - Ter and Han-

"... hmmm if i add here an another transformation glyph and an artifical Ruby that heatens the water in the tubes. Well that would solve that heat problem where do i get the energy?"
"You are still working ter?"
"Yes Han i am."
"Its cold here should i make an fire?"
"Yes please."
"So how does your work go?"
"Good i only have a problem in getting an suitable enrgysource for the Heatvest. ... wait how did you get that Fire on so fast?"
"Huh i used some strong plainspirits. That stuff burns very well and we use it in the winter for making fire."
"Can i get a Bootle of this Plainspirits?"
"Oh dont say you are so frustrated that you got to be drunken. The bottle is not the answer to your problems Ter."
"What naturally its the answer! A Bottle of Plainspirits would e perfect!"
"I said no drunkhead."
"Wha ... i dont want to drink that stuff idiot its my powersource! Get me some Cooper and Goldsheets too! And Silver! If you can get silver bring me silver!"
((ooc: my settlergroup moves another tile southwest.))
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 12:53:48 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 22, 2008, 12:18:01 pm »

day -5: an asteroid is spotted nearby the home planet, Ilecaaye finds it interesting and begin to study it.
day -3: the objects trajectory is calculated, and the result is that it will impact the planet.
day -1: the point of impact is calculated to be somewhere rather far straight east from Mindgates. there is also a spectral analysis whit the interesting result that the object can not be natural, but must be the product of a civilization, one advanced enough for interstellar flight.
day 0: The entrance into the atmosphere is observed carefully whit the large telescope in Ariquemera, there is already talk all over The Unified Minds abut how to salvage whatever priceless treasures of technology and knowledge it might contain.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 81