Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 386648 times)

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2235 on: December 02, 2009, 03:41:37 pm »

I wonder how long it will be before someone in the sky cells goes insane and jumps, or goes beserk, breaks down the door and goes on a murderous rampage. =D
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 03, 2009, 08:35:52 am »

The internal monologue of Maggarg

Armok damn his hide! The bastard must have followed me for decades, and he's still not dwarf enough to fight me himself. There's no way I could escape aside from smashing the door down, and there's no space for a run up. I'm in direct line of fire as well. If I get out of this, I finish this.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 03, 2009, 03:50:53 pm »

Interviews from the Front Line
A Report published by Aya Wheelroofs
21st of Moonstone, 1070

Most in this Fortress don't understand what it is to sacrifice.  The closest we see to battle is fighting over the Roast at dinner!  When danger does rear it's head, we are instructed to run.  Who can forget the excitement last week, the terrifying encounter with the horde of Kobold Thieves that attempted to ransack our very homes? 

I met up with a very tired Varen as he trudged up the road back to the Fortress.  He was covered in sweat and blood from a hard fought battle, but he was quite eager to answer my questions for you, dear readers!

Varen: Can this wait?  I'm exhusted
Aya: I hear you've just bested more of the Dread Camels!  How did that feel?
V: Very tiring.  Please, can I just-
A: On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the highest, how difficult would you say putting the beasts down is?
V: I don't... a four, can I just-
A: Absolutely terrifying!  And as scared as you were, you still went to battle with six of them by yourself.  Daring, or foolhardy?
V: It was necessary!  Sergeant Towersacks was sleeping!
A: Thank you for your time, Varen!
V: What?  That's it?

Even though he was nearly soiling himself in fright, Varen, in an attempt to keep us safe, risked his own life in a foolhardy attack to destroy the camels.  But without soldiers like him, we would have long ago been left to rot in these wastes.

So I salute you, Varen, for your hard work - even if your misguided actions are a danger to yourself.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 03, 2009, 04:28:30 pm »

Vayre: Olsmo is not contained by the human concepts of time and space.  He will find your Dwarf, and he will hurt him :(

Umm yeah about that, seems I found Olsmo's weakness.

Namely being shot in the stomach, falling down quite a few z-levels while vomiting and breaking lots of limbs from the fall.

Still dangerous even when hes curled up in a vomiting unconcious ball on the floor though ;-;

XD felled by his own "whee look at me I can fly and you can't" taunting, though knowing olsmo i'll probably gen my next world and they'll be about 10 more
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 07, 2009, 07:50:56 pm »

I think Dodik's needs some more renovating:

To curb unemployment in a mature, self-sufficient fort, I'll create Dwarven strip clubs. Make a large room with some tables, chairs, a food and booze stockpile, build some levers and set the profile on the levers to accept only their designated "entertainer". Set the room as a dining hall, and put pulling the levers on repeat, and voila! Your very own army of pole-dancing dwarves! It doesn't really serve any practical purpose, other than making stories in the fort more interesting. My bookkeeper, who's single, seems to spend a lot of time in there. I'm thinking of adding an "intimacy room" which could foster relationships. I just don't know how to use water programming to make a timelimit for each use, so I don't have to manage it all the time.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: December 07, 2009, 08:49:06 pm »

The events of the 3rd of Moonstone, 1070

His head was throbbing so hard he felt that it might split at the sides.  Maggarg groaned and lifted his hands to his temples.  He pressed them in hard, as if that might contain the pressure that was pushing against his skull from the inside, but of course it did no good.  How much had he to drink last night?  No more than usual, and this hangover was so bad he felt that he could die from it.

The cold chill of the air made him shiver, and he tried to roll over and grab his blanket when he felt the uncomfortable drop of nothingness under his arm.  Opening his eyes, Maggarg stared down at the magma pit bubbling below him.  He screamed, and pressed away from the edge.

"BARE WITNESS, CITIZENS" the Hammerer yelled from the cliffs edge.  Dwarves were already gathering, staring out at the sight above the magma pit.  Maggarg assessed the situation; he was on a small slab of stone jutting out from the cliffs edge.  He had walls and a door to three sides, though the floor was slightly sloped, leaving him to wonder how he had stayed on while he was passed out.

"This is the Dwarf who destroyed the bridge below; his actions are a travesty.  Unable to be punished by conventional means, he has been spared from the black cells.  But not to worry!  Those who act against us will find themselves spending a great deal of time in the sky cells.  He may wait until he is deemed justly punished.  Or he may punish himself, and plunge into the fiery embrace of the magma."

"Deler save me," Maggarg whispered.  Fighting to stand, he gripped the wall to lean out farther and yelled, "I'm innocent, damn you!  How long do you plan to keep me here?"

"Innocent?" The Hammerer asked.  "You are hardly innocent.  Perhaps if you're good, you'll be freed in the spring.  Perhaps."

Months later and you're still sacrificing dwarves to lava? I approve.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: December 08, 2009, 04:49:35 pm »

The events of the 1st of Opal, 1070

It was late in the fortress.  A few of the guards were patrolling the halls, but they were stationed near the kitchens and the main stairwells, leaving the lower floors open.  This was fortuitous as Rice had asked for a meeting down there, and he was hoping to be undisturbed. 

He entered the Jewelers workshop with a pair of stools, and he smiled to Lucy as he sat one down before he.  She gave him a little squeeze on the elbow and took her seat, and after a moment he did the same.  Istrath sat behind his counter, fidgeting nervously with a small jar of cherry opals.  He looked up after a few moments, and there was sadness in his eyes, though he hid it well in his voice.

"This must have been important, Rice.  You usually just talk in the mess."
"It is important.  It's very important," he reached over and placed a hand on Lucy's knee.  She offered a thin smile, and cupped hers over his.   Rice wet his lips nervously, and said after a long pause, "I think we should leave, and I'd like you to come with us."

Istrath gaped at him in surprise.  He turned to Lucy, who gave a small nod.  "We've been talking about it for a few weeks now, and it might be best to start planning how to leave.  This place is becoming incredibly dangerous..."

Istrath fumbled with the cup of opals - unsure of what to say.  Should he tell them about his gig moonlighting - the one he was neglecting right now to hear these thoughts?  Should he tell them how he had been thinking about that since Limul had been murdered?  No... that wouldn't do anyone any could.

He took a moment to clear his throat.  "I don't think that's the best of ideas.  I mean, not right now.  You all should wait.  I can promise you, I know things are rough now, but they will get better, I promise?"
"When?" Rice asked plaintively.
"Soon," Istrath said, even if he didn't quite believe it.  "It really will get better.  But don't abandon ship.  You, and Lucy, you're part of the backbone of this fortress.  You're seen as heroes.  If you leave, you'll just lower morale further.  I know you're not in authority anymore, but..." he gave a shrug, "you're still looked up to.  Stay, at least for a little longer, for the others who can't afford to leave."

Rice thought this over, and sighed.  "You're right.  For a little longer, at least... we can probably hold out a little longer."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: December 08, 2009, 05:18:00 pm »

Istrath fumbled with the cup of opals - unsure of what to say.  Should he tell them about his gig moonlighting - the one he was neglecting right now to hear these thoughts?  Should he tell them how he had been thinking about that since Limul had been murdered?  No... that wouldn't do anyone any could.

Noticed a minor issue.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: December 11, 2009, 05:15:24 pm »

Bumpity bump bump

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: December 13, 2009, 04:52:06 am »

The journal of Hikan Riddlewire
Entry for the week of 1st Opal, 1070

Tossing little pieces of food at Maggarg whiles he's clinging perilously to his little ledge is becoming a favorite past time of mine. The swearing alone is worth it. I've never seen such creativity with curse words than with a man who fears for his life facing petty annoyance.

When he gets released I am going to have to go into hiding. The bastard could snap my neck at will.

Istrath tells us that Rice and Lucy were thinking about leaving, but Istrath talked them out of it. Don't blame them; this place is no paradise, though Aryn's finally getting the work he promised twenty years ago finished. They may end up leaving anyway. The people who get into those domes.... I get the feeling it's going to be an exclusive club. And once everybody Aryn picks is in there, what will be left for the people outside of them? Well, there's always Dodik's, but whores aren't the things you look for when you decide to pick a place to live.

Istrath, though. I wonder why he talked the two of them out of it. Ever since Limul was murdered he's been a bit clingier than I've got the stomach for. Sure, his son's dead, but I lost Udib and you don't see me trying to keep everyone I care about from leaving this place.

It got me thinking though, and this vigilante thing we've been doing, it's helped the poor guy out. Maybe helping people is giving him something to fill in the void left by Limul's death. Maybe saving the city his son gave his life working to improve is giving him something to hold on to.

But, dammit, the guy won't shut his mouth about how I use excessive force! I don't even know what the hell he's talking about!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: December 14, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »

The internal monologue of Maggarg
When I get off this ledge, I'm going to find Riddlewire and batter him to a paste. I don't think anyone would complain.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: December 15, 2009, 05:18:38 am »

To his lordship the Hammerer:

This has got to end, how on earth do you expect me to keep the dunes, walls, and surrounding areas safe, when my Champions get locked away in a highly un-dwarven fashion! So far, all I have is your word against his, accusing him of sabotaging the very home he has been protecting for years! If you wish to arrest, punish or lock away any more of our soldiers, you go trough me first. We have our own protocolls and methods to punish thoose who are found guilty of such disastrous acts.

I expect Maggarg to be in my Barracks by noon on the 5th.

Merkil,
3rd of Moonstone 1070
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:30:17 am by IronValley »

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: December 17, 2009, 08:58:06 pm »

The events of the 5th of Opal, 1070

"Release him now, Sir Hammerer," Merkil bellowed.  "Your time is up!"
"How interesting," the Hammerer said.  He brushed his fingers along the sleeve of his robe, pointlessly brushing away the ever-present red sand.  "That you think your screaming and ideals will get you anywhere?  You speak from the emotions of a Dwarf, I speak for - and serve - the will of Justice alone."

"You're holding Maggarg without cause," Merkil raged.  "For hearsay."
"And what should he be held for?" The Hammerer asked.  "Embezzlement?  Smuggling?  Murder?  His act may have become cleaner once he arrived in this pit, but I assure you, he is not innocent, and I believe he is the culprit behind the destruction, and the death."

"This is absolute madness," Merkil said.  His hand was straying to the hilt of his own hammer, to his mentors hammer, and he could feel the power coursing through it, feeding him energy.  "If you insist on this, I will take the key from you by force.  You will regret this."

The hammerers response was to reach inside his sleeve, and slowly pull out the large copper key.  He looked at it coolly, as if this was the first time he was seeing it.  With a shrug, he lobbed it over his shoulder, where it tumbled down, down, down to splash into the magma below.  "No one is above the law.  Since your previous leader was too cowardly to enforce it, the privilege of enforcing it has been taken from you.  Good day, Major."

Merkil was vibrating with rage as the Hammerer stalked past.  He wanted to smash his reedy frame into mush, to spread him across the tiles.  He would get Maggarg out; it would take time to break through the steel doors, but it could be done... if only the swordsdwarf could hold out...

"Ahem, excuse me, Major?"
A shudder ran up his spine as he heard the rasping, hollow voice of Likot.  He turned to stare into her glassy green visor, his voice catching in his throat briefly, "Yes, soldier?  May I help you?"
"Interesting question.  No, you may not, but I may be able to help you... You want that brute freed, yes?"
"Yes.  I do."
"Then come to my chamber, dear Major.  We have much to discuss."

With a sinking feeling in his stomach, Merkil followed the walking corpse to the stairs, terrified of what she might propose.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: December 18, 2009, 05:45:00 am »

Internal Monologue of Maggarg.

Major Merkil came and shouted something to me today. It was in a bit of a dust storm, but I heard something about that bastard hammerer, something about food, and something about ink, I think.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: December 23, 2009, 07:50:00 pm »

The events of the 10th of Opal, 1070

"And how are things going, love?" Sgt. Pepper asked, his deep voice filled with fondness.  He stroked one gloved hand down Archin's back, pressing his palm into the small of it. 

She looked up at him, at his scared and battered mask, and smiled wryly.  "Decently.  There are no more seeds left; at least, none that can be used for food.  It's all the chaff, so to speak, the worthless ones fit only for the tailors."
"What have you been doing with all of them?"
"Mostly throwing them into the magma, or grinding them up to be used in the meals.  I certainly haven't been planting them."

Sgt. Pepper thought this over, giving great tugs to his matted, blood crusted beard.  "Does Telemon know of your antics?"
"I've neglected to tell him; he has more important matters to concern himself with.  He spends most of the nights in the Quarry with the buildings... it's of no concern.  This will only help his goals.  Now I know we have nearly 6000 units of meals, but the alcohol reserve is running dangerously low, and I think if..."

Even with his mask on, she could hear the leather creak, and see it shift slightly upwards.  His eyes, blank and white behind the slits, crinkled as he smiled.  "A simple fire should fix all of that nonsense, now shouldn't it?  And the new DUke will be remiss to explain to the population how it happened; and Aryn will be blamed as this recession of goods started under his watch.  Excellent, love.  Very excellent."

"Adol, is that you?" Maggarg croaked.  He was brown, his skin cracked and blistered by the sun.  Even staying in the shade as often as he could, there was no way to get fully out of the sun and by now he was a sun burnt mess.  There was a faint knock from the other side of the wall, followed by his friends voice.

"Sure is, buddy.  Sure is... here, get ready to catch..."

Maggarg groaned and shifted, and when he saw the glint of glass in the moonlight, held his shaking hands out in front of him.  By the grace of the Gods, he caught it, and frantically pried loose the cap to guzzle the meager amount of water.  It did little to quench his thirst, but it was enough to sustain him a while longer.

"I think I'm dying," Maggarg admitted.  "I stopped sweating a few days ago, and my piss is just dribbles of near brown goo..."
"That's... not good..." there was a pause, and Adol whispered, "I can't stay long, I'll be back tomorrow night, I'm sorry."
"No, wait!" Maggarg was nearly frantic.  "You have to get me out of here.  I'm going to die.  I've started... I think I'm starting to hallucinate."

Humoring his friend, Adol stayed, even though he could sense the eyes on him.  He hoped it wasn't the Hammerer, he didn't wish to share the adjacent cell, but he couldn't just leave his companion, his partner, his brother-in-arms alone.  "What have you seen, buddy...?"

"I've seen some freaks in masks and capes running around the grounds killing Dread Camels.  They sometimes sit on top of the watch towers, and they watch the Fishers skulking around in the sands.  There's... there's some little bitch with a burned face, down by the magma.  She keeps staring up at me and sometimes she waves... I've waved back a couple times and she just laughs and vanishes."

"I'll get you out of there," Adol said.  "I swear to you.  I'll have you out before the months end, even if it means..." he gulped, hating what he was about to say.  It went against everything he stood for, and as one from a noble line and a proud family, it struck him as near heresy to say.  "I'll kill the Hammerer if I have to, to get you out of here."
"If you don't, I will," Maggarg said.  "And that asshole Riddlewire.  I'm going... to drink his damned blood."
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 189