Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 386618 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2130 on: August 05, 2009, 11:57:52 am »

I've always been intriued by the ee surgery route, but frankly it scares the hell out of me! Glad it went well dude let us know if it worked alright!

I am too, terribly so.  But surprisingly enough, I've already convinced two people to go to my eye doctor for consultations.  These days it's cheap, fast, and works like a charm.  If anyone wants me to talk them into it, send me a PM :)

Oh yeah, Dwarf Fort - Update tonight or tomorrow, and hopefully more frequently now that I'm on some medication that's actually working.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: August 06, 2009, 12:38:53 am »

Log of Wilber

Where are your wings little Sparrow? Did someone clip them short? Did a camel come in the night, and leave you in great ruin? A burst of sanity amidst the fluffy wambler dirgibles. When the littlest elf eats the moonlight, the tiger will come and play.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: August 08, 2009, 02:30:34 pm »

From the files of Aryn Estetar
5th of Malachite, 1070

The merchants have been sitting on letters from home, those braying asses.  Neo, still laid up in bed with his broken arm, was overjoyed to receive a letter from home.  I spoke with him about seeing if the new philosopher perhaps was trained as a medic, but he swears by Doctor Dojango and his assistant Akroma... despite the fact that both are arguably shysters parading about with their splints and herbs. 

I have yet to tell Sulari, but there was a letter addressed to me, as Mayor, suggesting that no dwarves would be traveling to "our deathtrap" this season.  Those idiots, we need more bodies!  The soldiers are doing alright, despite some sparing injuries and the occasional camel attack, but our production lines are falling short.  Masons are in short supply as they work on my constructions; two of the five buildings are nearly done, the progress faster now that Howard has taken on a young apprentice to help him.  As soon as the structures are erected, we can begin filling them, and hopefully, getting the populace inside our great glass structure and to safety, and to immortality...

Now if only the zoo could get cleared out.  Some of the animals are dying, and Jools is concerned there is a madness going among them, especially as some have been found with gouges in their sides.  Perhaps we have predators in the sands that require the consumption of meat.  Such a welcome change to predators without any meat on them at all.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: August 08, 2009, 07:22:33 pm »

It will take a while, but I'll read this one.

Just out of curiosity, has the episode in reply #110 anything to do with the movie "There will be blood"? Looks a lot like mr. Plainview and Eli at the derrick's inauguration.

Still some 130 pages to go, but it's one of my favorite stories so far.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: August 09, 2009, 11:37:29 pm »

The events of the 7th of Galena, 1070

Quote, covered in grime and stone dust, stumbled into Rinsesilver's office, Lugnut at his side.  The engineer seemed pleased, the architect-apprentice worried and harried.  Rinsesilver looked up from her ledgers, a scowl on her face. 

"Progress?"
"Yes ma'am," Lugnut said.  "Floodgates in place, works like a charm.  Miss Dodik herself wanted to install the final pieces of the remaining waterwheel."
"And the structural integrety?"
"Water flow should stay consistant throughout," Quote answered, his voice tinged with nerves.  "With the use of the pumps of course.  We can always rig a secondary reservoir that could... say, effectively be used to evaporate the overflow."

"And how sure are you that this will work?"
Both Quote and Lugnut went silent.  Rinsesilver's scowl deepened. 

"Well?"
"If it doesn't work, we always have that floodgate, and the hot sun."

"I hired you on the recommendation that you worked for Roaroak!"
"Well, you see, I'm more of his... lackey at the moment.  He has me redrafting prints, so, I haven't actually designed anything on my own."

"And you!" she said, pointing at Lugnut.  "It was said you were a mechnically genius who could rig up anything."
"I did!" Lugnut complained.  "I rigged up that floodgate and allowed our miner to get out alive, thank you.  And I also rigged it so the tunneling would be done while Aryn was out at the dig sites, so he wouldn't hear any of the excavations."
"That was your doing?" Quote said.  "That was well done, He had no clue."
"He really didn't.  I was amazed how easy it was to get him out."
"Fantastic, really, so simple."

"Just shut up," Rinsesilver snapped.  She swivled in her chair and opened a drawer in her cabinet.  Two small bags jangled as they hit the desk in front of her.  "Just turn the damned waterfall on when you leave, and make sure it doesn't drown us all."

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: August 14, 2009, 02:17:12 am »

Rice's Journal

Been quite awhile since I've written in this tattered old thing. First off I can't believe how long I've been here. It couldn't really have been nearly twenty years already could it? Well, no matter. There's a new project at Dodik's place, though I've never really been around those parts of the fortress. So much to do and what not. They say she wants to install a waterfall and they've hired out some new architect that works for Roaroak.

Now I got nothing against Roaroak, he's a good dwarf and a fine craftsman. He knows what he's doing, and I can respect that he has grand plans for this place, but I still have my doubts about all the work that is happening. Him and Aryn, I swear Aryn is getting crazier and crazier every passing day. Though I suppose he isn't the only one who could be going mad here. I haven't set foot inside any of the domes of my own volition, but I can already feel the walls crushing down on me. It's odd, I've never felt this way about constructions before, but this project fills me with great dread.

*Bumping this cause it should not be on the second page*

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: August 16, 2009, 05:38:19 pm »

*bump*

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: August 17, 2009, 05:56:37 am »

Log of Wilber

Where are your wings little Sparrow? Did someone clip them short? Did a camel come in the night, and leave you in great ruin? A burst of sanity amidst the fluffy wambler dirgibles. When the littlest elf eats the moonlight, the tiger will come and play.

You're sounding very Beefheartian.

Who knew what a moon could do?
Moonlight on Vermooont.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: August 17, 2009, 01:31:47 pm »

Soo.... *cough* there's some development going on over here that might cause a delay on any meaningful updates.

What could such development be?  Quitting my job, moving to Kentucky without any sort of work set up, and attempting to sell my house.  Am I crazy?  Yes, I have been for quite a while now, but I'm also planning on being happy, which is a big change.

With that in mind, I'll update when I can, but please, dear readers, be understanding of this poor stressed soul <3
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:43:23 pm by Heavy Flak »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: August 17, 2009, 01:45:15 pm »

Good reason to be slow about updates. We'll be patient, HF, don't worry.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: August 18, 2009, 09:33:09 pm »

You want to be happy, so you moved to Kentucky? That's perfectly understandable, but why that state in particular, if you don't mind me asking?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 18, 2009, 09:50:57 pm »

The Events of the 10th of Galena, 1070

"'Nother child grew up today."
"You're a damned liar."

Dojango looked up from the the series of blueprints that had been laid out across the workbench in Betrand's old lab.  He scowled at Akroma, who shook a browned, brittle femur at him. 

"Why would I lie about that, huh?  That's not something to lie about."
"Nothing 'grows up' out here.  You heard it yourself, there's something wrong, there's something really wrong, and it's just a damn fluke that children age - only the ones that come from outside."

Dojango couldn't help himself; instinct made him glance over his shoulder, towards the door that was closed and barred.  He let himself relax some, going back to tracing lines on the blueprints.

"That's not true..."
"Oh?  And the child that reached adulthood, born here?"
"...No, little orphan, prodigy, came here a while ago, joined the Mason's Corp.  Pawnzer's mad as all hell, seeing as he was grooming her to help carve blocks and beds for the new rooms, for the library, but..."
"You're avoiding it!  She's not native!  She's an outsider, and those born here, poor things, are cursed!  It's these... damned sands!"  Akroma smashed the femur down on the table, and it splintered, small bits of bone scattering across the table, a large chunk from the top skating to the side to vanish into a dark corner.

"Keep your voice down!" Dojango hurriedly whispered. 
"We're fine in here," Akroma snapped back.
"And you know what will happen if this gets out proper?  If this becomes more than just some rumor by those that care to pay attention when the children don't die of horrors and still don't age?"
"Mmm..."

The pair lapsed into silence.  Eventually, Akroma pointed to one of the domes on the blueprint, tapping it twice with the broken bone.  "Gardens here?"
"Best place, really, below the kitchens, gives them access to fresh herbs, to vegetables, maybe even fruits.  It's the least we can do for the poor souls that seal themselves away."

Akroma nodded, and lifted his eyes to the torch on the wall.  He squinted at it, briefly lost in though, before sighing.  "Think we'll get out?"
"We better.  This place will explode... Aryn trying to lock them all under water?  I can't imagine the goblins would waste any time ransacking the shell of the city, any who stayed would just be meat for the armies... no, this is best.  A good deed, make sure it's done, and a clean break from this... cursed place."
"Safer in numbers," Akroma said.  "Much safer."
"Aye, so keep your eyes open, there might be a few that would be willing to part ways when things finally go tits up."

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 18, 2009, 09:59:18 pm »

You want to be happy, so you moved to Kentucky? That's perfectly understandable, but why that state in particular, if you don't mind me asking?

Heh.  I know, it's a bit of an odd choice if it was just drawn at random.  But I grew up in Kentucky, and most of my family, and my soon to be not-ex girlfriend live there as well.  When I think of home, when I think of "Happiness", I think of rolling hills, bluegrass, thick forests, and sprawling farm land full of wheat and corn and tobacco.  I think I'll be spending a lot of time before I find work with a notebook and my camera, exploring the countless acres of my fathers farm - something I haven't been able to do in nearly a decade, and something that makes me nostalgic thinking about even now. 

And Ai Shizuka, sorry, I'm not ignoring your question from above.  Why yes, that scene might have been inspired by that movie.  :)  As a fresh reader, starting from the beginning, you'll most likely be able to pick out what books I'd been reading and movies I'd been watching by the updates you'll see.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:50:44 am by Heavy Flak »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 19, 2009, 06:36:28 pm »

I love the story.

Whered you move to in kentucky?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: August 20, 2009, 12:01:27 am »

Finally caught up. All I can say is, YAY I WAS MENTIONED FOR A BIT IN ONE OF THE EARLIER POSTS!
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 189