Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 386602 times)

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2085 on: June 21, 2009, 10:21:00 pm »

If Glacies (the poster) doesn't respond soon, maybe you could just go ahead and write whatever you want for Glacies (the character).  Your ideas for the story shouldn't be held hostage by an abandoned side plot.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 22, 2009, 01:16:39 am »

OOC stuff:

I just found this, and thought it was funny -

"Gekurgingim, The Lesser Distrust

Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally designed image of a Batman skull by Valania Vukrigmeng."

What's so funny about that, is I misplaced that "A" when I read it the first time, and thought Valania was plotting to kill Batman.

"Holy Armok, Batman! It's a zombie dwarf!"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: June 22, 2009, 04:03:32 pm »

If Glacies (the poster) doesn't respond soon, maybe you could just go ahead and write whatever you want for Glacies (the character).  Your ideas for the story shouldn't be held hostage by an abandoned side plot.

I couldn't agree more. Glacies (the character) has had plenty of years to find what he was looking for, and that leaves a large gap that Glacies (the poster) can fill in should he ever decide he wants to finish his little side story.

Maudlin's Meditations

Out of the tragedy of Limul Leopardknight's death comes a glimmer of hope. You have elected Sulari Clappedrooms mayor. Never before could a mayor say that she would keep us safe and literally mean it.

In the dark times to come, I can think of no better leader and protector than one of the fortress' oldest defenders. Indeed, Sulari has vanquished any threat that has ever faced her, and we can be certain she will continue to do so as she faces threats to our fortress as its mayor.

Another measure of justice has been visited to the killers of Mayor Leopardknights. The man responsible for delivering the saboteur to the late Mayor's room has been found dead. I would thank all those who came forward with information; it helped immensely in tracking this man down.

With our new mayor and justice visited for the death of our old, we can now move forward. Fear not, for whatever evils face this fortress, from inside or from out, we will face and defeat with the same viciousness as threats past.

Remember, I am your protector. I will not let this fortress fall into oblivion while I still stand.

-Maudlin

The journal of former Lieutenant Hikan Riddlewire.
Entry for the week of 8th Slate.

That bastard Glacies finally got what was coming to him, and I was more than happy to be the one who gave it to him.

He revealed some information before I beat him to death. Apparently, Glacies, the real Glacies, our bookkeep, has been gone for several years, and this fake Glacies has been masquerading as the real Glacies ever since. Funny nobody noticed. Except Aryn, who ranted on about the inaccurate ledgers for some time, but I guess he never put two and two together.

Additionally, this fake Glacies was partly responsible for Limul's death. Something I can tell the fortress as Maudlin, though in a bit of a vague way. Wouldn't want to reveal that I killed him, though I suspect nobody would care too much.

It occurs to me that with Aryn gone, I now no longer have a job. Which means all my equipment could technically be seized by the city at any moment, though I'd like to see them try. I've also been going around demanding people call me lieutenant, a rank I could claim to hold as head of Aryn's guard. But now, I'm just Datan Hikan Riddlewire, rankless and jobless.

Adjusting to life without Aryn will be difficult. I dedicated myself to him, and then he just left me here. I adopted his goals as my own, and with him gone, I no longer have any.

Sulari's been elected mayor. I could personally care less, but if the people in the fortress seem to think it's a good sign, then I can affirm their opinions as Maudlin, so that more and more they identify with him. Hopefully, I can sway some favor towards us masked crimefighters, so that our jobs of eliminating threats to Migrursut become easier.

Maybe Sulari would be receptive to our stance. I'll bring it up in the next meeting. And I'll be sure to mention not sneaking up on her. We don't want all of our necks snapped just because we spooked her.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 23, 2009, 04:58:42 am »

I couldn't agree more. Glacies (the character) has had plenty of years to find what he was looking for, and that leaves a large gap that Glacies (the poster) can fill in should he ever decide he wants to finish his little side story.

This is where I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with people.  I've been in contact wth Glacies via PM during the course of his story, and while he's been slow, it hasn't been a hindrance to my story telling, and in fact he's had some rather good ideas and some neat little things he wants to throw in to accent what's going on.  In fact, without some of these delays and his decision to leave, we wouldn't be left with a good many of the events that HAVE happened - Let's face it, the New Guard that Hikan is now a part of may never have formed, because the first known instance of the Masked Vatek would never had come about, had not Fake Glacies sic'd an entire army of Cloned Grov's on Hikan, had he never discovered Bertrand's "evil" plot to clone hats.

*deep breath*.  Point is, I respect your decisions as character-holders, in most ways, to the course of your Dwarves and their actions.  Most of the time you build off what I've chosen, and that's fine.  Other times, you have them do something on their own and I adapt.  Most often, you say something in jest and like an evil djinni I make it come true and everyone has a good laugh at your expense until it actually turns out to be a great big evil unleashed on the fortress, bwhaha!  Also, I've already thought of a solution - maybe not ideal, but it's there - to Glacies taking forever.  At least he and Bloodclocks (and anyone else who may come with him, as long as it's under five other Dwarves now), will hopefully find to their liking.

And I apologize if this comes off as harsh, or unreadable, I'm on a new sleep medicine (Seroquil) and I'm getting absolutely insanely vivid nightmares.  Just woke up from one, so I figured I'd do something productive while groggy instead of going back to bed. 

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: June 23, 2009, 09:19:17 am »

Quote from: Heavy Flak link=topic=19239.msg615394#msg615394
Lotta stuff
[/quote

Well to be honest, from my side I'm more then happy for Sarig's fate/story to idle on for a good while yet!

Also being honest this is mainly to do with me not happy to be any way near as proactive with contribution with flavour text about him no Glacies quest, I've having a hard enough time just reading through the new posts, but it's all good!

If he's still not in by Christmas I may have a rethink though lol!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:30:51 am by Flar Moonchill »
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: June 23, 2009, 01:02:20 pm »

Journal of Willber the Wise Warrior.

My morning mug of ale spoke to me today. The ale told me I had quaffed of his uncle, and chugged his children. I had sipped his sister and slurped his son. I told him he was delicious.

On my way back to duty, I noticed an odd spot in the magma. It looked curiously enough like a couple of burning children. I also saw a cloud that looked like a table ninja.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: June 25, 2009, 07:10:11 am »

The Events of the 25th of Slate, 1070

Hikan and Makrond were in full costume, and on full patrol.  It was well past midnight, and the pair strolled across the main courtyard, their weapons out: Hikan's extendible spear, Makrond's short sword and thin buckler shield, coupled with his full compliment of studded leather armor.  They were silent, mostly at Hikan's insistence, though the wet sounds of Makrond's breathing through a punctured lung were enough to get Hikan to stop near the statue Sulari had constructed to commemorate Limul, and point his spear at his compatriot. 

"Cool it, chuckles," Hikan snapped.  "Those sounds are grotesque."
"I was stabbed... through the chest!" Makrond said, surprised.  "I should be... dead."
"I heard you fell on your own spear."
"I heard... you killed your wife."
"...you're an ass, leather worker...and that's a lie."

"Psssst!"

The pair looked around, dropping into their fighting stances.   They slowly spread apart, maximizing their options, and protecting themselves from anything large.  Hikan was grudgingly impressed, and fought hard to remember that Makrond was a part of the Spearman's Union until he fell to their curse.

A head popped from around the statue, blond hair lanky and streaked with gray.  Beard longer, shaggy, his face stained with dirt. 

"Aryn?" Hikan asked, surprised, and an emotion that filled him with self-loathing, terrified.
"I need your... I need both your help, I want to come back.  It's time."
"Where the hell have you been?"

"I'll explain when you get me back to my room.  Keep me safe, until I can meet with Sulari, she'll be calm.  With everyone else dead, what choice does she have, but to bring me on as the book keeper, and the fortress broker?  I'm their last hope, just get me to my room!"

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: June 25, 2009, 08:06:29 am »

has Maggarg done anything interesting lately?
I've been away for ages and I can't quite summon the effort to read a screen yet.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37:30 am »

has Maggarg done anything interesting lately?
I've been away for ages and I can't quite summon the effort to read a screen yet.

Not yet.  The soldiers, for all purposes of narrative, are "standing down".  We've been goblin free for months, and no dwarves have snapped, so they're pretty, you know, chilled out.

Also, I'm remiss to mention a "competators" thread, but there's currently a discussion going on in the Nist Akath thread between the two most hardcore Dwarves.  I don't want to brag or anything, but here are Stravitch's stats, one of the most destructive forces in my game

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not to say some dwarves may not have more COMBINED skills, or their strength/agility/toughness isn't higher, but he's... well, a monster.  And I'm willing to bet could beat both of them.  His shield/armor skill is so low because those are only raised when you're hit.  He doesn't go past the first swing :)

</bragging>

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: June 25, 2009, 09:49:35 am »

I just had an awesome idea.
Awesomely awesome.
Since Maggarg has been thieving and pillaging from just about everyone and everything for about a century, it's only a matter of time until someone from his somewhat sordid past catches up with him.

I think I'll leave it at that, since you're a far, far better writer and I'm simply a lazy novice.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: June 25, 2009, 01:04:40 pm »

Also, I'm remiss to mention a "competators" thread, but there's currently a discussion going on in the Nist Akath thread...

Having read all of both Migrursut and Nist Akath, I can safely say you won that competition a long time ago.

Now Olonkulet, that's some competition you've got to worry about.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: June 25, 2009, 01:39:17 pm »

Also, I'm remiss to mention a "competators" thread, but there's currently a discussion going on in the Nist Akath thread...

Having read all of both Migrursut and Nist Akath, I can safely say you won that competition a long time ago.

Now Olonkulet, that's some competition you've got to worry about.

As a guy who thinks of himself as a "writer", Olonkulet fills me with both pride and dread.  It's a GREAT story, and excellent writing, and it really helps that Iituem is one heck of a nice guy to boot.

But you're damn right it's a worry for me!  ;)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: June 30, 2009, 08:27:27 am »

Just giving everyone here a heads up.  I haven't forgotten about the fortress, things are just weird for me here.  I'm on a new medication that makes me groggy as hell (like right now), and if I don't take it and drink instead, I only sleep for two, three hours a night (been pulling that since Thursday).

Couple that with an Ex coming to visit me for the holiday weekend, and... you might not have a story update until I'm regulated and she's gone on Sunday :D  So keep that in mind, and if you get really bored, there are many fine other stories to read on this forum, perhaps one should check them out!

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: June 30, 2009, 02:31:30 pm »

Well you've already gotten me started on Olonkulet. I hadn't even noticed it before you mentioned it.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 05, 2009, 02:52:30 pm »

The events of the the 5th of Felsite

Hikan stood outside the door to Sulari's office.  He was uncomfortable, eyes flitting side to side, watching the hallway's turns and niches for potential attackers.  Beside him, Aryn preened himself a little more, smoothing out his blond beard using the blade of his dagger as a mirror.  Happy with the results, he turned to Hikan and gave a nod. 

Using the butt of his extendable spear, Hikan rapped on the door.  There was shuffling inside, and the sound of a lock sliding out of place, before Sulari opened the door.  She blinked - her surprise evident - but she didn't ask the hundred questions that must have been racing through her mind.  Instead, she stepped back and offered a smile.  "Please come in, mint tea's almost ready if you'd like to have a cup."

Aryn sauntered into the room, and took a seat at the table.  Through sheer habit, Hikan came to stand behind him protectively, his brows pulled low, lips curled into a snarl.  Sulari waited by her little burner, and as the kettle whistled she pulled the tea off and pour three mugs full, carrying them to the table.

"You're a very wanted man, Mr. Estetar."
"I'm fully aware.  Congratulations on your promotion to Mayor.  May you have less headaches than others of us have experienced."

Sulari smiled wryly.  "Then what fun would being a noble be, if not for the risks of danger and death?"
"Soldiers," Aryn muttered.  Hikan couldn't help but smile.

"Aryn, let's speak frankly.  Please explain why I shouldn't have you locked up now?  You've caused a lot of problems, many Dwarves are after your blood."
"Because it'll be your blood seeping under the door if you try it," Hikan snarled.  Aryn sipped his tea as Sulari glanced up at the protector.
"I'm sorry, Hikan, but do you really think you could take me in a fight."

Hikan stiffened.  "...I think I'd fight as dirty as possible, to make sure I won."
"Mmm," Sulari said.  She took a sip of her tea and sighed. "Now Aryn?"
"Because I've been the victim of slander, and rumors, and lies.  I may have driven the Dwarves here hard, but personally tried to engineer their deaths?  Please.  Of what use would that be to me?"

"I had thought of that," Sulari said.  "It didn't make much sense."
"Glacies sure could spin a tale, couldn't he?  It's a shame he couldn't... hang on to all the threads!" Hikan said.  The others stared at him quizzically while he laughed and tugged his beard.  He stopped with a cough.  "He was a liar.  He engineered the whole thing, just to take some of the populace's anger off the nobility.  Look where that got them all."

"Mmm," Sulari said again.  She glanced at Aryn, her hands spreading open in front of her.  "And if you were allowed, ah, amnesty, what would you do with it?  Try to undermine my power?"
"I'd take over his broker, since your experience is... ah, limited," Aryn said. "And continue work on the great Oceanbled, in my quarry.  I still have plenty of savings, and the workers need money."

"So long as you don't challenge my orders, or stir up trouble..." Sulari said, with a sigh, "that should be acceptable.  Your experience in dealing with the traders will be very welcomed.  Why don't you finish your tea, and I'll make sure you're not lynched by the population."
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 189