Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 386578 times)

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2040 on: May 29, 2009, 06:41:29 am »

Places to check:

Assface's Folly

Pure winage - cracked me up :-)
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 29, 2009, 02:18:21 pm »

(Hope you don't mind me putting down some thoughts Flak... I'm not mutch of a poster, usually hide in the shadows as the lurker I am... But if you decide to use this, note that I'm implying some form for torture, but I've never seen Merkil as the one who would go down that path... He could infact teach Hikan the old trick of always having an extra short reach weapon at hand.. daggers are fun in brawls...)

Hikan getting tortured? That would be a twist. While I don't Hikan hasn't outright tortured anyone, I'm sure he's used his fists to gain information more than a few times.

And now I really wanna see who would win in a fight between Hikan and Merkil. In fact, I think a tournament featuring all the named dwarves in military professions would be pretty cool. It's one of the things I would've requested if I had solved one of those cryptograms.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 29, 2009, 02:34:49 pm »

The events of the 19th of Opal, 1069

The Council met in Limul's room.  They talked quietly amongst themselves, of rumors, of work, of defenses.

"Dodik's got attacked again last night," Crowpages said.  She drummed her fingers on the table without rhythm, adgitated.
"It was just a few of the camels that got in," Limul said.  "Likot took care of them, she kept one of their heads to scare the children."
"That's not what I've heard," Crowpages said, slowly.  "Noble's are endangered.  What have I done?  I keep taxes low, I don't punish anyone unfairly - I only asked for a modest room... "

Bomrek cleared his throat, his great mustache fluttering out from the burst of air.  "When will our prisoner arrive?  I'm already bored!"
"Glacies is bringing him down now," Limul said. 
"Such a slack-wit," Bomrek muttered in reply.

Their talk ceased as the door opened.  Glacies entered, hauling a large cage by a handle.  Lugnut came behind it, straining as he pushed.  A goblin sat in the cage, his head down, his arms crossed over his knees.  Long tapered ears drooped down, submissive.  Bomrek grinned wide.  "That's how they should look - it's not an elf, not by far, but these green monsters look quite fitting in their cages."

"I've got to get to the books," Glacies announced. 
"You're such a liar," Limul said.  "You haven't touched them in weeks."
"I know, I was looking at them, and, well, according to the wealth it seems we're near five-million in worth, that..."

Limul gaped.  "Absurd.  No.  Go check that, make sure it's correct.  If that's even close to accurate, this will have been the most... the most successful expansion in the history of Stukos Matul."

Glacies stepped out with Lugnut, shutting the door behind him.  Limul took a drink of ale, the warm drink calming his nerves.  "Goblin, rise, we have questions for you."

The goblin stayed still, his head bent, knees lifted, though one leg stretched out farther than the other, stiff and sore.  Bomrek cleared his throat again.  "Rise, beast, or we'll have you punished!  Do you speak Dwarvish?  Respect our orders and submit to your questioning."

Only then did the head raise.  Steely, dead eyes glared back at them, a slack face, impassive, completely emotionless.  The goblin stood, the chains that bound his wrists rattling, his roughspun shirt and jean-cloth pants streaked with dust and blood. 
"I do speak Dwarvish," he said slowly.
"Then start your tongue, lest you lose your whole head!"

"Talk?  Yes.  Let's speak, about chance, about fate.  The one in the front - you're young Limul, correct?"

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 30, 2009, 07:38:07 am »

Places to check:

Temple to Zefon - Kuli and Aryn don't see eye to eye. Will check anyway.

I think Kuli would provide sanctuary to Aryn if only out of pity at this point.  Can't imagine Aryn actually asking him for protection though.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 30, 2009, 08:02:58 am »

(Hope you don't mind me putting down some thoughts Flak... I'm not mutch of a poster, usually hide in the shadows as the lurker I am... But if you decide to use this, note that I'm implying some form for torture, but I've never seen Merkil as the one who would go down that path... He could infact teach Hikan the old trick of always having an extra short reach weapon at hand.. daggers are fun in brawls...)

Hikan getting tortured? That would be a twist. While I don't Hikan hasn't outright tortured anyone, I'm sure he's used his fists to gain information more than a few times.

And now I really wanna see who would win in a fight between Hikan and Merkil. In fact, I think a tournament featuring all the named dwarves in military professions would be pretty cool. It's one of the things I would've requested if I had solved one of those cryptograms.

More like threatening with torture, taking him to an excluded chamber, then yell at him for being incompetent. Spears are only that usefull once your opponent is too close for stabbing....  Then hand him a dagger, and tell him to keep Aryn safe, and possibly indulge him on any news... The Major still respects Aryn's accomplishments, but will probably remain loyal to the current leader... He does know how to keep secrects though, even from superiors.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:26:30 am by IronValley »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 30, 2009, 12:48:55 pm »

Journal of Wilber

The bees tell me that Aryn is gone. I feel so bad for him. It's so obvious though... The molepeople captured him and imprisoned him on the rainbow cloud. I'm going to tell all the marksdwarves to shoot any rainbow clouds they see. Maybe we can make it crash! And then we can rescue Aryn from the molepeople, and make candy from the cloud!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 30, 2009, 08:55:24 pm »

I bet he followed a raccoon out into the wastes.

I want you to know that stupid raccoon is still a thorn in my side.  Every time I open up Dwarf Companion he's there, chilling out, being a raccoon, and not dying.  If there weren't evils of unspeakable nature assailing the fortress - this raccoon would be the real enemy.

I certainly don't mind.  I really feel this is a community effort.  The ideas, and comments, and jokes of the readers have shaped this fortress into something I hadn't expected.  So please, react as you feel your character would, it's always nice!

Interesting idea.  I may at some point do an "alternate history", or just a tournament bracket, and pit a bunch of Dwarves against one-another single-elimination style.  There would actually be a few Dwarves that would do well you might be surprised of, if it's based solely on stats and not military expertise. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:38:55 am by Heavy Flak »

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 31, 2009, 05:10:58 am »

I bet he followed a raccoon out into the wastes.

I want you to know that stupid raccoon is still a thorn in my side.  Every time I open up Dwarf Companion he's there, chilling out, being a raccoon, and not dying.  If there weren't evils of unspeakable nature assailing the fortress - this raccoon would be the real enemy.

I certainly don't mind.  I really feel this is a community effort.  The ideas, and comments, and jokes of the readers have shaped this fortress into something I hadn't expected.  So please, react as you feel your character would, it's always nice!

Interesting idea.  I may at some point do an "alternate history", or just a tournament bracket, and pit a bunch of Dwarves against one-another single-elimination style.  There would actually be a few Dwarves that would do well you might be surprised of, if it's based solely on stats and not military expertise. 

About that, I've been wondering a bit, since I've hardly heard any repots of Merkil going into combat... does he suffer the same syndrome as the Old Major? Or is he just too busy sparring?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 31, 2009, 09:56:53 am »

About that, I've been wondering a bit, since I've hardly heard any repots of Merkil going into combat... does he suffer the same syndrome as the Old Major? Or is he just too busy sparring?

He actually doesn't.  I let him spar, mostly, or when a large force of goblins comes in I send him out with a squad to kick some ass.  Merkil is a very tough warrior, especially with that artifact hammer he swings around.  Now, Sulari on the other hand, she sadly became battle weary... but she's having a happier life now, throwing all kinds of parties!

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 31, 2009, 07:31:06 pm »

Who's stronger? Stravitch or Merkil?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 31, 2009, 09:54:58 pm »

Journal of Kandor PulleyCloisters

The whack-job Wilber spoke to me today. Told me Aryn's gone, then gave me some tale about moles and begged me to shoot down any rainbows I saw.

Freak. If it weren't for all the rumours going about, I wouldn't have bothered listening to the rest.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: June 02, 2009, 08:02:47 pm »

The continued events of the 19th of Opal, 1069

Cokho Rokho sat at one of the long tables in the mess hall, a paper hat upon his head.  He glowered at the cake in front of him, at all the cheering around him.  Everyone seemed to be having fun at this impromptu party, they always did, and what did he get out of it?  Unneeded attention and some dried cake made of rum, cat, and plump helmet. 

Someone, somewhere, had gotten the idea that it was his birthday.  Was it?  He couldn't even remember.  Among a society of long-lived dwarves, Cokho was an ancient, gnarled example of where heavy drinking and hard work could get you.  He turned to open his mouth, to tell off one of the children running past him, but a loud scream rang through the fortress. 

"At least someone's having a worse day than me," he thought blandly.

"What in the world?" Jools said.  The soldiers in the barracks had stopped training at the sound of the scream, looking down to the rooms the nobility held.  He readied his sword, tenatively stepping into the hallway, when he saw a blood splattered form step into view.  It was tall, thin, the rough spun shirt and jean cloth pants soaked through with blood.  So were his hands and mouth, his eyes expressionless, bored. 

Bloodlust filled Jools, and with a snarl, he leaped at the goblin.  Even though the green skin limped, he moved fast enough, and struck hard, his hands - still shackled together - crashed into the soldiers chest.  He grunted as he hit the wall, stunned. 

The goblin made no sound as Sarek snuck up behind him, and grabbed an arm.  There was a sickening crack at the shoulder, and his left arm went limp at the side.  Jools made to move in, but screamed in pain as the goblin braced himself on Sarek's broad body and lashed out with his steel shod boots, crushing his left arm at the elbow. 

Bolts began to fly.  Likot's voice, shrill and hollow, was completely unintelligible.  The goblin caught a bolt in his right hand, and he tried to use this to stab Sarek.  With a bellow, the goblin pressed his chains against Jools throat and pinned him to the wall.  He used this for leverage, and kicked both feet out behind him hard.  Sarek flew down the corridor, landing in a crumpled heap - dead on impact. 

Jools began to black out, his vision frosting over at the sides, blood foaming at his mouth.  He could see a dwarf approaching from the barracks, though there wasn't much hope in his mind. 

He was suddenly able to breath, his vision clearing quickly.  He saw the goblin held aloft against the wall, thrashing futily.  Stravitch held him pinned there by the shirt collar, his lips pulled back into a snarl.  The goblin was able to land a single kick on Stravitch's barrel stomach, before Sefulkubuk crashed into his face.  The goblin slumped, brains and blood a smear on the stone. 

From the distance, there was a wail - Rice, who had stood at the edge of the room horrified, gasped.
"That's... Duke Bomrek."
"Help me," the voice said again, "Please...I... I'm bleeding out, I think, please help, Limul's.... dead, I think Crowpages is too..."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: June 03, 2009, 08:29:57 am »

*gasp* Oh my god!

That was unexpected!

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: June 04, 2009, 06:51:00 am »

You're very cruel, Heavy Flak.

Poor Limul.  Hopefully we'll find out why the goblins had been after him all these years.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: June 04, 2009, 03:32:19 pm »

Szondi's Journal, 7th of Obsidian, 1069

Fortress in an uproar.  Unfortunate.  Understandable.  First Son of the Sands laid to rest in simple tomb; never got around to digging out something more fitting his station.  Tax Collector dead, not mourned at all.  All but forgotten, body tossed in magma with refuse.  Bad death, very ignoble. 

Already group is fracturing, splitting at seams.  Maudlin is frantic over finding Aryn, complaining loudly to any that will listen that it's their fault it's come to this.  Don't believe he's dead, lived through too much, he'll turn up.  Probably rescind his thrown in current turmoil.  Ill feelings.  General Jeweler heartbroken.  Sad to see him fall so hard.  Spends all time in the shops cutting praise, not on duty.  At least he eats.  Depression not full blown.  Dark Hawk believes this was done by Glacies, saw him leave the room last before The Incident.  I have doubts.

Spoke with Bomrek on his sick bed.  Not doing well.  Pale and losing weight and blood fast.  Scared of me when I arrived - should be.  I was wearing Limul's death mask as tribute.  Said Goblin broke off attack when Limul was dead, just left them to bleed out.  Spoke of fate inside his cage, and of a demon, Olsmo, who had wanted the first Son of the Wastes to enter this world through.  Became obsessed.

No longer needed, other children taken.  Many children - hundreds?  Who knows, Goblins stealing more children than the fortress has.  They're raising him.

And we're becomming splintered.  Must rally.  We must watch the borders.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:36:14 pm by Heavy Flak »
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 189