Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 385284 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1740 on: January 28, 2009, 06:07:59 pm »

Journal of Hikan Riddlewire, hidden in the wastes in an unknown location.
Entry for the week of 22nd Granite, 1068.

Aryn certainly has a way of handling people. Tell them they're horrible, horrible dwarven beings for their complaining and then reprimand them out of the room. A dwarf could learn a thing or two from him.

It seems people hardly feel safe without the fortress guard in place, and I would tend to agree with them. Except there's a load of evidence that suggests that they never even properly did their jobs, and I know this, since I'm a master of gathering evidence.

The Fortress Guard never prevented the death of a civilian, they never investigated any death, they never prevented any crime, never investigated any crime, and they've done nothing to even slow this imminent rebellion. As far as I can tell, they were totally useless; a laziness and complacency they adapted to by hiding under the skirt of their leader and the worst of them all.

And then there's Vatek. I asked him on the way to Ass-face's wooden donkey, "What the hell are you doing still working? I thought you'd be sitting back and drinking booze like the rest of your useless Guard."

And I knew exactly what he was going to say. "Because it's my duty to protect this fortress, and I will perform my duty even if I don't technically have a job." Uggh. Arrogant prick, but at least he's doing his part, which is more than what I could say about anybody else.

We investigated the death of Mayor Ineth Orbsbarb. It was the same M. O. as our serial killer, with the berry smile on a mangled corpes, and the same objective: systematic elimination of the leadership of Migrursut. I suppose it's possible that the serial killer is merely smearing ash and berry on already mangled corpses, but it would imprudent to investigate it as such; we won't catch him by assuming death by camels.

Vatek says he has a plan to catch him. He won't tell me what it is. I'm ashamed that I couldn't think of one, but it better be good; I'm desperate to catch this guy before he guts me while I'm out here writing in this journal.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: January 28, 2009, 07:47:04 pm »

The events of the 26th of Granite, 1068

Hikan frowned deeply, his face etched with lines of worry and suspicion.  Lugnut stood before him, framed in the light from the wall torches, constantly mopping at his neck and forehead.

"And you're sure?"
"Y-yeah, sure, of course I'm sure, I'm sure," the mechanic stammered.  "You're a- a well respected peace keeper in this fortress of ours, and I'd hate to incur your wrath by l-lying or keeping information from you.  Of course I saw something weird goin' on by Bertrand's Garden.  I saw a bunch of movement, some hushed, you know, s-s-some hushed whispers, and like, somethin' scraping stones."
"And you didn't see what it was?"
"I'm n-not designed to deal with that," Lugnut complained.  "I'm not brawny, and the only hammer I use is a t-t-tack hammer for traps.  I c-came to you first."

After a moment of uncomfortable silence, Hikan nodded.  "Fine, good work.  Get to your room and talk of this to no one."

With a flap of his trench coat, Hikan strode off, his head high.  When he felt sure that he was out of sight from Lugnut he hit the barracks at a run, grabbing a steel spear from the weapons rack.  Up the stairs he ran, across the courtyard.  Reaching the steps he slowed to catch his breath, quietly padding down towards the gardens.  The magma glow filled the pit with an eerie light, the grass and flowers and weeds all tinted oranges and yellows.  As he quietly pad towards the center, he heard a soft scrap of metal-on-stone behind him.

Wheeling around, he saw a flit of movement across the pit.  It was gone just as fast.  In the periphery of his vision, he saw another flash, and spinning, he stared at the spot it was.  Am I going mad? Hikan thought.  It was quickly pushed aside.  Gritting his teeth, he took a single step forward, before his bowels turned to ice as something behind him giggled.

He turned, his spear at the ready, thrust out at chest height.  It passed harmlessly through the air, and only then did he see the child in front of him. 

"Grov!  What the hell are you doing out here?" he asked, his heart beating fast.  The child beamed and waved.  A bucket was on his head, and he was wearing a set of old armor.  He carried a steel short sword, which he waved.  "We're playing soldier!  Like Jools!  You're here to play with us!"

"You can't be down here," Hikan growled.  He thrust the point of his spear into the ground and knelt down, screwing his face up into an authoritative glare.  "Get back inside ya' daft brat, or-" the phrasing of the sentence hit him at once.  "Who is 'we'.  Who else is down here."

"We are."  The voices sounded from all around him.  They bounced off the walls, they were muffled by the grass, they died on the wind.  His skin crawled as the shadows seemed to melt around him, turning into children in front of him, to the sides, skulking through the grass behind.  They all wore patch work armor and carried old weapons, training blades and maces made of simple rocks and sticks.  They all came towards him, beaming in simple glee, their voices mingling together, starting and stopping at random, a cacophony of noise. 

A sword-slash nicked his arm and cut his coat, and with a cry Hikan turned to see another Grov looking down at him, laughing.  "It's a goblin!" he cried, "I'm Jools! I- I'm I I Jo- Jools -ools I'm Jools" sounded all around him as the children laughed and rushed towards him.

There was flash of motion, a blur, and one of the Grov's lifted into the air, giggling and laughing until he landed in the magma with a splash.  He was vaporized instantly, a single oily streak of smoke marking where the child had been. 

"What is going ON!" HIkan cried, watching as the lone figure punched and kicked.  Children went flying through the air, laughing, giggling, and vanishing in plops and sizzles within the magma.  He caught flashes of black leather, a full body suit covered in small pitch-covered studs.  A black leather cowl covered the Dwarfs face, a cape swirled around him as he moved, distracting the children, blocking out where he really was. 

The last of the Grovs vanished into the warm embrace of the magma bath, and Hikan was left there on his rump, wide eyed, slack jawed.  The black-glad dwarf walked towards him and held out a black leather gauntlet, pulling the Royal Guard to his feet.  "Keep easy, citizen."  The dwarf growled.  "You're lucky I've been patrolling the grounds.  Constant vigilance, Lieutenant.  Stay the course."

With a flap of the cape, and a small creak of leather, the Dwarf was gone, vanished into the darkness.  Hikan stared at the spot he had occupied for a long time.  Slowly, shaking hands reached into his trench coat and pulled his flask out.  He looked at it, shuddered, and pitched it over his shoulder into the magma.  "That's it... I'm the only sane one here... what kind of punishment is this?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:09 pm »

Who was THAT?! One dwarf against a group of hostile Grov clones! And helping the scum called Hikan no less!

That is one dwarf who has style!

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: January 28, 2009, 08:45:28 pm »

Hahaha... The smiles on victims and now this? Migrursut is positively "batty" these days!  :D

I'm dying over here.  I can't stop laughing.

Hehe, me too Kuli, me too. Especially the pants! Hehe, oh dwarves, when will you ever learn...

*You think you hear the ghostly laughter of a female dwarf*

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: January 28, 2009, 08:49:51 pm »

Hahaha... The smiles on victims and now this? Migrursut is positively "batty" these days!  :D
Dang it, you beat me to it!

also, thanks Heavy Flak.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Pixelfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: January 29, 2009, 03:35:43 am »

Now the grovs get to join possibly my char. I like this new character, for his mystery, though..

Actually -on- that topic, however briefly, I would like to mention this: Have you ever considered how appropriate it -is- for an analogue to exist in dwarf fortress? They eat live fire snakes, engrave their socks with pictures of their mothers dying, have people beaten for failing to create items that don't exist, eat kitties, throw babies, murder over their cheese getting moldy, the most common form of dwarf fortress death seems to be willfull neglect of the infirm -and- we allready have, effectivly, like 4 super villians in Migrursut...not counting exterior enemies and Stravitch, of course. Also for some reason I can't help but imagine the architecture as a sort of gothic art deco, shiney, dead and meancing.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: January 29, 2009, 03:43:50 am »

If DF is like that, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: January 29, 2009, 06:04:15 am »

Wow... that guy reminds me of Batman, somehow. Only a different sort of Batman who happily kills children.

I suppose it's not too far-fetched. Robin used to get his fair share of spankings.

Keep it up!
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: January 29, 2009, 08:48:04 am »

I suppose the Grov-swarm was pseudo-Glacies' attempt at revenge on Hikan?  Only in Migrursut do these kind of things happen.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: January 29, 2009, 11:20:27 am »

Diary of maggarg
The fortress smells of cooking today.
Really nice smell, like roasting kitten, or something.
mmmmmm.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: January 29, 2009, 07:19:53 pm »

That was freaky. I doubt that's all Fake Glacies has in store for Hikan.

The Notes of Hikan Riddlewire, kept on his person.
Entry for 26th Granite, 1068.

I...

I need a drink.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #1751 on: January 30, 2009, 07:38:58 am »

Wow... that guy reminds me of Batman, somehow. Only a different sort of Batman who happily kills children.

I suppose it's not too far-fetched. Robin used to get his fair share of spankings.

Keep it up!

Batman: Moving target, you go in to the left.
Robin: What did you just call me?
Batman: Um... Robin.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: January 30, 2009, 10:05:45 am »

Keep it up!

Batman: Moving target, you go in to the left.
Robin: What did you just call me?
Batman: Um... Robin.

Holy damage sponge, Batman, why are they all aiming at me!

Kuli:  There are times where I really want to try and figure out how certain things have come to pass.  The Zefonists were easy - you made a joke about being a "born again" when her god profile was posted, and we all ran with it.  But The Grov Collective attacking Hikan?  I'm sitting here at my desk thinking about it, and it's just baffling how these little side-stories take such strange turns. 

Here's something I recently learned about DF.  I have always under the assumption that there was a skill cap at 100.  Maybe I read that on the modding board once.  According to DF Companion, that's not true at all.  At least one of the Dwarves in this fortress has a stat of 118 and growing.  I wonder how high it'll actually go?  I guess there's no worry about wrap-around, though that could potentially make a 300-skill level dwarf gain more levels crazy-fast as the XP counter started back over.  Or the whole game could just crash, who knows!

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: January 30, 2009, 11:22:42 am »

On a side note, HF thinks that it's a capital idea to try to hug Tankers to death in Left 4 Dead!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: January 30, 2009, 12:09:03 pm »

So now it seems you're using Batman and the joker in your story, if my guess is right?
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 189