Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 384914 times)

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2445 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07:00 am »

The next logical step from here is obviously Bear Cavalry.

Which one do you mean ? This one ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or this hone ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: August 08, 2010, 10:24:54 am »

I mean a combination of the two. Dorfs on bears on horses.
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: August 10, 2010, 07:27:46 pm »

The events of the 25th of Galena, 1073

"Ma'am, oh, no, Ma'am, you can't do that here!" Kuli cried.  He couldn't stop himself from wringing his hands, the nervous energy bubbling over.  Jools, and Vash, his retainers, flanked him, staring at the scene in bewildered horror.  Like their Maester, they were reluctant to act, for even if the power was all on paper, only a select few in the fortress dared actually stop a noble.

But they really felt as if they should, most of all Kuli.  He watched with growing dread as the Duke's mistress raised her scepter high, and brought it down in a swinging arc.  The steel staff, weighted with jewels, whistled as it passed through the air until it collided with the leg set of legs of Aryn's pet Tosiduvel.  The beast roared and toppled over as it's legs were swept from under it.  She had managed to hit it between the great steel plates, a lucky blow indeed, for anywhere else would have glanced away harmlessly.

She left him there on the bridge leading to the Temple of Zefon, grunting and roaring in his pain.  Eventually, after spending a long time just staring at the body, she ran off towards the fortress proper, rage and hate in her eyes.

"Go find Sulari," Kuli whispered.  "I'll tend to this beast until the Dungeon Master can arrive with herbs and splints."
"The curse strikes again," said Vash.  "I sincerely doubt any noble will stay here without going mad.  Other than the ones that came here, already that way."
"Hush, now!  Go and find Sulari, and let her know that the... Consort needs detainment until she calms.  Quickly, before she brings harm to herself."

Drenched with a sticky, cold sweat, the Duke sat upright in bed.  He stared at the wall, his eyes blinking quickly, as if trying to clear from them dust.  Thoughts were running through his head, had been running through his head, were running through it, ever since he arrived.  Sickening thoughts.  Bad thoughts.  You're going to fail them all, you'll never reunite the kingdom they chided.  Stop now, you're a worthless sack of meat in purple robes, just give up, give up, give up, you'll amount to nothing in life.  Your father hates you, always hated you, your wife... oh, your wife hates you too, for leaving her at a fortress gone to turmoil.  Your beloved wife, she hates you, hates you, hates...

He slowly swung his legs down from the bed, and still naked, padded out of his room and into the hallway.  Up the winding stairs and into the surprisingly cool night air.  He stared at the moon for a long time, the thoughts running endlessly through his mind, and he tugged at his Elder's beard in thought and worry.  Eventually, he knew what he must do.

Minutes later, he slowly walked to the center of the bridge, standing atop the bloodstain the bear had left behind.  He held a great chunk of stone, and a rope was fastened to it, the other end to his neck.  Even though he could hear Kuli shouting, and could see the Maester running towards him, he didn't think to stop.  He just let go.  His neck snapped as he was flung down, but he didn't die; it only severed his spinal cord.  Just as he hit the water, a single thought floated to him from the back of his mind.  You can't even kill yourself properly, you worthless, stinking Dwarf.  No wonder she no longer loves you.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: August 10, 2010, 07:28:58 pm »

New user here. Have been reading this thread for about two weeks and I have to say, your writing style is awesome  ;D. Can I request a dwarf ? An engineer if available (or really, anyone with mechanic skills). Thanks !

I'm glad you're enjoying it - I apologize though, we haven't seen a new Dwarf migrant in game-years... so, if you don't mind, I'll add you to the queue for my next project, when this finishes up?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: August 10, 2010, 07:30:39 pm »

Well, he didn't last long.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: August 10, 2010, 07:36:33 pm »

The journal of Hikan Riddlewire, 25th Galena, 1073.

Just saw the new duke skinny dip with stone tied around his neck. Hard to control laughter. Going to reveal myself if I keep this up.

Will say I didn't make it in time when Vatek and others ask why I didn't do anything.

He almost made it through the summer. I guess that's an achievement.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: August 10, 2010, 07:41:04 pm »

Well, he didn't last long.

The journal of Hikan Riddlewire, 25th Galena, 1073.
He almost made it through the summer. I guess that's an achievement.

I'm being totally 100% serious here guys, I tried.  I met his mandates, but forgot to give him a room, and his consort being pissy made it worse...

I feel like I'm channeling Aryn here, which is a HORRIBLE thing to say!  I'm focused on my grand projects, and driving everything else into the ground to achieve them.  Though, if I had to mimic one fictional sociopath and megalomaniac, I suppose it's best to be him, and not, say, Patrick Bateman, or Iago, or Littlefinger. 

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: August 11, 2010, 12:30:40 pm »

Shuuuure. ;)

I'm loving the story, and am looking forward to more.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: August 11, 2010, 02:42:50 pm »

I figure that Aryn is what would happen if a DF player had to live in their own fortress while making it, so I believe it.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: August 12, 2010, 09:57:31 am »

I figure that Aryn is what would happen if a DF player had to live in their own fortress while making it, so I believe it.

Didn't someone say almost exactly that either early in this story or in another post?  Must find out.  It seems so familiar.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: August 12, 2010, 10:55:10 am »

Didn't someone say almost exactly that either early in this story or in another post?  Must find out.  It seems so familiar.

I don't know if it was said earlier or not, but I certainly can't argue with it.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: August 12, 2010, 12:27:02 pm »

Fantastic as always ;)

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: August 12, 2010, 01:23:58 pm »

I don't know if it was said earlier or not, but I certainly can't argue with it.
I think it was me that posted it earlier. Oops.

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: August 13, 2010, 07:37:26 am »

New user here. Have been reading this thread for about two weeks and I have to say, your writing style is awesome  ;D. Can I request a dwarf ? An engineer if available (or really, anyone with mechanic skills). Thanks !

I'm glad you're enjoying it - I apologize though, we haven't seen a new Dwarf migrant in game-years... so, if you don't mind, I'll add you to the queue for my next project, when this finishes up?

Hey dude, I can't remember if I asked to be added to the queue for the next project as well! The book-keepers quest updates went quiet! :-)
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: August 18, 2010, 07:06:12 pm »

The events of the 17th of Limestone, 1072

The Ex-Duchess Consort lifted the barrel high, and tilted it toward her gaping mouth.  Only a thin trickle of fisher berry wine trickled out, dribbling over her parched lips, and streaking red through her now-matted beard.  She squinted her eyes and tried to peer within the dark confines, hoping that the sheer force of her will would make more materialize.  But it didn't.  She could feel the tic in her left eye beginning to work again, maddeningly twitching and convulsing, partially blurring her peripheral vision.  Her temples throbbed.  Her throat ached.

"You, enough of THAT" Aryn bellowed.  "The human diplomats aren't even gone and we have a Dwarven caravan and merchant-princes arriving!  With the duke dead, we need some distractions to keep them apart.  Go... play at entertaining while I trade so we may live another year."

Slowly she turned towards him, still holding the barrel above her head.  Her entire body tensed as she whispered, low, and hoarse, "Duchess Consort needs drink, badly!"

She hurled the barrel at him.  And then broke into chase. 

Being so new to the fortress, and from such a soft life, her muscles were weak and her speed slow.  The others in the room, Aryn included, easily outpaced her.  Their lives were filled with work and misery and if they were not practiced at killing but were still alive, then they were certainly practiced at running away to find those that could kill.  And run away now they did.  All except Keldor, the poor Gem Setter who had gotten herself trapped behind a bunch of barrels in the corner.

The Consort pounced, raining blows with fists and feet.  Snaps were heard over the screams, as first the left, then, no, the right arms were both shattered at the elbow.  Then she was gripping Keldor's head in her soft hands, and methodically beating it into an empty barrel of spirits, repeating to herself in a sickeningly hollow monotone, "Must have a drink... must have a drink... must have a drink..."

They found her a half hour later, screaming, and shaking the bars of a cage trap that had closed around her.  She was drenched in blood, her mouth smeared with it, and strips of cat and bull hide, flesh still attached, were stuck to her face and arms like warpaint.

She continued to shriek well after Sulari had arrived and ordered her cage be erected out in the sky-cells until she could divine just what to do to her. 

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 189