Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 379093 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2775 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:19 am »

Umm.

So. . . .it's like you were researching a real dwarf fortress?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: July 27, 2012, 12:39:22 pm »

Since his return from beyond, I've begun calling Flak "Saturday Night Special" on account of his love for the South and because I like to think of him as blue and cold. Blue dabadeee dabadieeee dabadeeee dabadieee dbadedabadieeee. Or as the chick that has an oral fixation for bubblegum, which Flak also has. He's like a cow out to pasture with that chew of his.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: July 29, 2012, 10:18:28 pm »

From the files of Aryn Estetar
5th of Granite, 1080

Has their ever been a dwarf happier than I?  I submit to the Gods, large and small, ancient and newly formed, that there has not.  These bearded rubes hauling and toiling have done it, despite my bitterest imaginations at work.  To think that Dojango not only coaxed a working farm from sand, and glass, and the last of that foul wisemans sand... to think, that with his very hands he has taken the produce from the loins of the earth and transmogrified it into nourishing liquor?  I'm having Makrond stitch him a wizards cap as we speak. 

My head is clearer than it has ever been.  I've taken a lay of the land, examining all that I can of this finished glass paradise, and find everything to my liking.  Everything!  Tun will be burdened for only a while longer, before the remains of my charges are m~~~```....______

"What the hell is it?" Aryn barked.  A gash had been rent across the page in his ledger from the jerked tip of his quill, and with a roar of frustration he hurled it at the intruder.

Sulari didn't even blink as the carved silver pen bounced off her shoulder.  Her face was set in a stony grimace, and though she had slimmed down dramatically when at her soldiers peak, she stole bore the same straight back and determined pace of a guardsman.  She hauled a burlap sack to Aryn's writing desk, and despite his shrieks, she slung it up upon the wooden surface. 

"We need to talk, Aryn."
"You need to get out of here before I have Hikan put you on the spit."

One eyebrow raised.  "You need to listen to me, and listen well, before I smash your head like a melon."

He gaped at her, his mouth gaping like a landed fish.  His ratty beard quavered, but he did not speak.  He only leaned back, glaring daggers into her face.

"One was a worry, but easily overlooked.  Two an unfortunate coincidence.  But three?  Three, Aryn?  What do you see here?"

She unknotted the sack, and let it drop downwards into a pool of fabric.  The head was mammoth, green and covered in small spines and ribbings.  Cruel fangs jutted from the lower lips like boars tusks.  The eyes, solid red, stared blankly into the distance.

"The drums have started," she said in a low whisper.  "You can hear them if the winds die down and skirt the edges of our lands.  You can hear them, damn it all.  Despite what we all think of you, you're still in charge here.  What are we going to do."

Beads of sweat appeared on his forehead, though he made no move to wipe them clean.  Instead, he gently, almost gingerly, shut his ledger.

"Find Tun, and tell him to get the rest of the fortress in here.  We close the gates, and we set the traps.  We begin our life anew.  No one leaves, and no one gets in.  I'll assemble Merkil, and Stravitch, and Hikan."

Sulari gave only the smallest of nods.  "I'll tell Tun.  And I'll fetch my axe."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:22:51 am by Heavy Flak »

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: July 30, 2012, 07:27:28 am »

And my bow...I mean hammer.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: July 30, 2012, 08:25:53 am »

I said that at work the other day to my boss. 

Boss: "Come on guys, I need your help on this.  We need to transfer all this inventory to prep for the new rollout but it's like 10,000 pieces."
Warehouse goon: "Yeah, that's cool, I'll help."
Me: "And you'll have my axe!"
Boss: "...What the hell does that mean?"
Me: "It's lord of the rings talk, it means I'll help too."
Boss: "Just... just go back to your office and close the door.  I'll slide the work under it to you..."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: July 30, 2012, 11:29:41 am »

Hehe :)

Sulari gets her axe. Well, you know that means things have gotten bad.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: July 30, 2012, 12:17:34 pm »

I said that at work the other day to my boss. 

Boss: "Come on guys, I need your help on this.  We need to transfer all this inventory to prep for the new rollout but it's like 10,000 pieces."
Warehouse goon: "Yeah, that's cool, I'll help."
Me: "And you'll have my axe!"
Boss: "...What the hell does that mean?"
Me: "It's lord of the rings talk, it means I'll help too."
Boss: "Just... just go back to your office and close the door.  I'll slide the work under it to you..."

If this were a Facebook post I would LIKE it.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: August 06, 2012, 09:49:35 pm »

The Events of the 7th of Granite, 1080

She saw one of the foul beasts over by the dunes at the river.  It had hunched over, it's tall, gangly frame seeming to almost double into itself.  It carried itself in a vaguely dwarvish sense - it had arms, yes, long ones, rippling with corded muscles, and a set of legs that ended in cloven hooves.  Even it's wings, great leathery abominations that flapped tattered behind it, could be tied to these most material realms.  The sounds, however, were unearthly - a cacophony of voices coming from one throat, amplifying the maggot-purring as it ripped flesh from the camel carcass with claws and teeth.

Sulari shuddered, unable for a moment to move while her body processed the scene in front of her.

When she regained control of her mind, she acted swiftly, decisively.  She charged the dune and leapt from the top.  Her axe sung in the air, and it landed true.  The abomination had barely started to turn it's head, when the axe buried in it to the shaft. 

From the sky, came another of those cacophonous cries.  "Ahhh!  Rulasmostdu!  Ogom zubar!"

Unable to wrench her axe free, Sulari gave a snarl and kicked the body, sending it skittering across the sands.  She turned and charged the descending form - the briefest moment of worry at being without weapon - but then remembered her finds in the barracks:  Burnhelped, the copper gauntlet menacing with spikes of sunstone, and Dancelonely, the camel bone greaves, circled with bones and cinnabar and shells.  Perhaps, she thought, things might be even.

As she met the first of the beasts with a gauntlet to the face, she felt the air crackling and heated behind her.  But there wasn't time to take notice of that.   She smashed the gauntlet into it's face, flattening it even more, shattering the tusks that jutted from the lower jaw.  When it opened it's mouth impossibly wide, spreading it until it's face seemed to split in half, she barely took notice - even as the great gouts of flame vomited forth and half-melted the gauntlet onto her forearm, even as the skin crackled and peeled back from the muscles.  No, the flames were fully stemmed when she shoved her fist down the monsters gullet. 

The flames tamped out forever when she yanked her fist free, pulling out trachea and vocal cords and stringy clumps of blackened blood-slicked meat. 

She turned to face the one that had joined its kin.  It paused, infinitesimal, in it's approach.  Sulari smiled wide, and took the first step forward to meet it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:25:45 pm by Heavy Flak »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: August 06, 2012, 09:59:13 pm »

What are those lazy bums doing not helping out.

Congratulations on filling up the lake, by the way.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: August 06, 2012, 10:10:07 pm »

I notice there is still a single wood worker wandering around on those maps.  I guess Dodik-Come-Lately has yet to meet her doom?
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: August 07, 2012, 11:27:01 am »

What are those lazy bums doing not helping out.

Congratulations on filling up the lake, by the way.

Thanks!  I'm really happy with the result of the flooding.  I didn't think it would look that good, or not really drain performance that much.   And for once I can say, "Heavy Flak didn't screw up some kind of project involving water and mechanics that inadvertently flooded the world / killed half the fort"

I notice there is still a single wood worker wandering around on those maps.  I guess Dodik-Come-Lately has yet to meet her doom?

You would indeed be correct.  She's a tough girl, and also has a real knack of never being around wherever the danger is.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: August 15, 2012, 07:53:31 am »

Another week, another digit.  :(

843-8XX-XXXX

He that can have Patience, can have what he will

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:49 am »

Stravitch is a cruel task master who cares not for me being out of town for weeks and then having my rig go up in flames >:( 

I suppose this is punishment for all those times in college and after college and in life that I grew a luxurious beard and lorded it over his smooth and pale face.  Like right now. 

Also: update this weekend!  As soon as I get these 6TBs of data pulled from backups and dead drives.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: August 18, 2012, 10:29:27 am »

And look at that... I've managed to recover my novels, and Dwarf Fortress, and a LOT of pictures of cats and some game saves.  Everything else, toast.  I've got the drive in the freezer right now as a last ditch attempt to get a little more data off of it, but it's looking bleak for the years of accumulated junk.  C'est la vie. 

The kicker here is the drive went down while I was in the middle of backing it up. 

So, the point of this?  Still on target for this weekend, just depends on how how quickly I give up this recovery. 

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: August 19, 2012, 08:41:08 pm »

The Events of the 13th of Granite, 1080

The drums continued on.  Days and nights, the rhythm never changing - the only variance is their slow creep in volume.  Due to the unique acoustics of the dunes and the obscene arts used to forge the kettles, they could seemingly be heard for tens - some said hundreds - of miles

"Get her down on the table, get her on the table!  Oh, save us all, get out of the way!"

Dojanjo shoved his way past the soldiers crowding the mess hall table as Cokho dropped Sulari unceremoniously on the stone.  She lay there, her eyes blanked, writhing and moaning in her delirium.  The soldiers, her former brothers-in-arms, tried to peer in but the usually meek cook and doctor snarled at them as he rolled up the sleeves on his coat.

"I mean it you beasts, get back from her!  Give me room to work."
"Her gauntlets melted" Merkil said, his voice void of emotion.
"Not melted," Crispin added, "fused, look how it's... all twisted in with the muscles."

The murmers started, the soldiers beginning to inch closer to the work table.  But Dojango gave them no notice - he was at work.  He placed a small wad of cotton soaked in opium under her lower lip; soon he was swabbing the swollen, burned flesh with a rag soaked in it. 

"We treat the pain, then we deal with the fever she's developed.  Someone go fetch me ginger root and rat weed.  Hurry, now."

"I expect you in your quarters no later than tomorrow evening."

Stravitch's eyes lifted only slightly, glaring from under his heavy brows at the slight, mottled form of Aryn.  The noble was only a silhouette, a dark frame outlined in the doorway to the poison temple by the harsh lights of the setting sun.  Aryn was as stiff as stone, staying in the doorway, making no attempt to come inside where the old goat was sprawled out, shirtless and drunken, upon the cinnabar steps over his opulent tomb-room.

"We have had our differences, you and I.  But when we bring things down to their core, you're more an asset than a burden.  You will report to your quarters.  You will take up your mace.  And you will begin policing the halls.  We are to be sealed and you are to be working at your job."

The moments ticked by in an eternity.  Shifting in his impatience, Aryn leaned forward some, light making the sweat on his temples glisten.

"Well?  Damn it, are you going to listen to me?"

Rice and Tun stalked through the halls, peering into rooms.  The Administrator was ever at work with his ledger, making ticks beside of line items and hastily jotting in anything that Rice dictated to him.

"Store rooms have booze and plump helmets in stock, along with roasts and salt-beef..."
"And the gold?"

Rice peered inside the large storeroom, watching Lucy and Mookie stacking the gold into piles to be run through the smelters.  He smiled, a genuine one, that deepened the wrinkles on his face.  It showed the old Rice, and it showed his age, and also his weariness. 

"We've got... maybe forty bars worth of ore.  We could buy a little village if we use the platinum, too."
"Good, good..."

A swirl of a signature at the bottom of the page, and Tun tucked the charcoal pencil into his sleeve.  "We have more stone blocks than I dreamed possible.  As soon as we can, we wall up the entrance and wait this out.  We have food enough for... oh, a month, I'd say.  We can survive here.  We will survive this."

Rice clasped the Administrator on the shoulder, and gave a squeeze.  It was as much to show his support, as to try and hide his own feelings of dread.

"Maester?  What are you doing?"
"Reminiscing."

Kuli's voice was feathery now, his smoking - the only vice he had allowed himself over the years - making his voice lighter, more ethereal, and to some, even more respected.  He ran long fingers through his graying hair, the robes of his station pooled around his kneeling form.  Jools, and Vash, flanked him from the doorway.  The metalsmith was unable to keep the look of concern from his face.

"You rarely visit these tombs, Maester... I'm just concerned about your preoccupation..."
"It's strange, is all, "Jools tried to smooth over.  "You never come down here."

"This tomb is one of two regrets, my friends.  I built this as a way to house and respect the dead of Zefon, and what did we see?  The deaths in this fortress so overwhelming, so quick to come, that we could barely take the remains to the great storage below, let alone separate pieces and parts to give proper resting to the dead.  But in it's own queer way, it was for the best.  We aren't a fortress divided, of Zefonists against Lenodites, of Dwarf against Dwarf.  We are brothers, and sisters, and friends, and lovers, and yes, even enemies - but even they deserve our respect, and even they should not be cast aside, segregated from those they live with and work with and support."

Jools nodded, the polished and repaired armor creaking around him.  But Vash's frown deepened.

"What is your other regret, Maester?"

They could hear the creaking in his joined as he stood, the years of toil and the visits from the hammerer slowly showing their effects.  He exhaled, and turned, a short sword wrapped in oiled cloth held reverently in his hands. 

"That the beast that marches on us now was not put in its place years ago.  I don't hold guilt towards the evils it has wrought on the world, or on our friends and kin, I'm but a single spark in this great world.  These beasts are abominations, but they are not stupid.  They have the cold thoughts and self-preservation that only evil can bring.  I only regret that I did not have the strength to strike the fear of Dwarf in its heart then.  I will teach it that fear now."

The sun glinted off his mask as he watched the little ants scurrying about in the sands.  Calloused hands raised, and lifted up the welders mask from his face, letting it settle atop his head, acting as a brim to shade his eyes from the harsh suns rays.  Johnny let out a slow exhale, and rubbed at his eyes with his palms.

"Glory be, it's fin'ly come t'this, 'as it?  They're gonna be locked in there... last bastions o' this cruel bastard world... an' they'll be locked all up nice an' pretty wi' me, an wi' a load of gold and gems, and wi' a foin trade to get started again."

He smiled, and lowered his mask, and dropped into a cross-legged sit on the sands.

"Ya've re'vented yerself a half dozen times al'ready, haven't ya, ya' slick bastard?  What's one more on a city thinks yer either dead or'a ghost or'a myth?"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:50:48 am by Heavy Flak »
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 189