Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 386621 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2190 on: October 12, 2009, 11:37:51 am »

I was surprised as you all were at their deaths.  I liked Kandor and Sparrow, but at least they went out as true dwarves - surrounded by bolt-riddled bodies, the rest of the goblins routed and broken.  Since increasing the Goblins size / damage to levels that will actually hurt and/or kill Dwarves, I've made a promise to not savescum regardless of how much I want to.  Which sucks.  We're now down to Likot as the only boltslinger.

I'm getting ready to do another update, but before hand, here's something I'd just throw out there.  I've signed up from National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), and as a way to keep myself honest and look stupid if I don't complete it, I'm telling EVERYONE about it so you guys can take me to task. 

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/521409 

That's me!  When November hits, I'm going to be writing like a fiend to get 50,000 words in The Watershed.  If any of you guys are aspiring writers, or have ever wanted an excuse and a deadline to complete the novel you've had kicking around in your head for years, I'd suggest you sign up and give it a whirl.

Now, back to the game!

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 12, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »

The events of the 2nd of Sandstone, 1070

Bleary eyed, sore from training, Maggarg limped from the mess hall where he had been enjoying quite a few drinks with Neo and Crispin.  Even though Wilber had showed up near the end, his insanity grating at the swordsdwarfs nerves, that was not enough to put him in a bad mood for the day.  He made his way through the empty hallways towards the barracks, rubbing at his eyes with a thumb.

As he neared the doors, a hand clasped over his mouth, and another wrapped around his middle, pinning his arms at his sides.  He was pulled into the shadows struggling.

"Calm down," Adol hissed.  "Stop that, you're going to get us both hurt - and stay quiet!"
"What the hell are ya' doing?" Maggarg hissed when the hand was removed from his mouth.  He relaxed, though his hand stayed near the hilt of his sword.
"Someone's in your room!"

Maggarg's eyes bulged as he saw the lamp light flickering form his chamber door.  There was movement inside to be sure, shadows flickering frantically along the jarred door, and splashing out into the hall. 

"Who is it?" He whispered.
"I don't know..." Adol replied.

The shadows stopped, and the lamp was extinguished, putting the room into darkness.  A shape slide out into the corridor and stopped, making sure the hallway was clear.  It turned quickly and vanished into the darkness, it's cloak flapping behind it like great, silent wings. 

The pair hurried to Maggarg's room and lit a lamp; it was destroyed.  Dresser drawers had been turned out, the bed flipped over, it's straw stuffing scattered across the floor.  Maggarg's face grew red, his anger sputtering out as he noticed the lock on his coffer had been snapped. 

"My coins, all those gold coins, gone!"
"What gold coins?  We're paid in copper."
Maggarg tensed.  But his friend Adol had been with him from the beginning, and with a shrug he said, "The ones pilfered from the smelter, as they were changing plates."

Adol was silently for a moment, than nodded.  "Take inventory of anything else that is missing."
"That bastard better pray I don't find him," Maggarg growled.  "It's one thing to threaten a dwarf or try and mug him, but to rob his room?  That's pathetic, cowardly!"

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: October 12, 2009, 06:13:09 pm »

bah, have to sign up to view your profile...

if i didn't have my plate full with a film this fall i'd consider doing that, perhaps next year
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: October 13, 2009, 07:58:36 pm »

Just popping to say that I'm still reading even if I never post anymore.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: October 13, 2009, 11:10:58 pm »

Just asking, did I die at some point?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2195 on: October 14, 2009, 04:16:57 am »

I thought I'd stop in and see how the topic is going since I haven't read it in months, and now I'm terrified by the prospect of trying to catch up. Oh well, atleast Heavy Flak's writing is as good as I remember.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 14, 2009, 01:52:35 pm »

Just asking, did I die at some point?

You didn't die, you just broke your leg.  You're currently recuperating and in perfect spirits! 

And I'm glad the rest of you are still reading <3 Though I will admit, my stubbornness would force me to see this out to it's conclusion if the whole Bay12 site imploded and Toady quit coding completely. 

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 14, 2009, 02:57:33 pm »

The teaser on your novel has me very intrigued and looking forward to it. I also love just how stupidly weird my dwarf is  :D.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: October 17, 2009, 01:05:37 am »

The events of the 9th of Sandstone, 1070

"Hrrrnn, party in here..."
"Of course there was a party, you freaky mime," Hikan snapped.  He brought his flask to his lips and took a healthy swig, wiping his lips with the back of a hand.  "If that's all you drug us in here for, than I'm going out to knock some damn skulls."

Vatek looked up, the plaster mask of a dead tanner staring blankly at the guardsman.  Hikan frowned and turned towards Istrath and Makrond.  "Well?  Anything?"

"A few things," Istrath said bleakly.  The gems and coins on his uniform jingled softly as he moved towards the statues.  He pointed to the one dedicated to the miners and ran his fingers along the chips in the base.  "These are fresh.  You can tell because there is no dust in them, but there are stone chips on the floor.  Whoever threw the party is with the miners."

"And these... strips of leather..." Makrond wheezed, "Are specialties.  Custom made."
"For who," Vatek asked. 
"The Corpses, for their coats."

Hikan shook his head slowly.  "God damn it.  So the corpses are coming in here and partying with the saboteurs.  Wonderful.  Just wonderful."  He turned and punched the wall, dust and mortar shaking free from the masonry.  He nearly turned, but something caught his eye.  Squatting down he peered behind the statue, and despite himself, he moaned. 

"Vatek, you need to see this."
"The masked Dwarf hopped down from the bench and strode over, looking behind the statue.  With a grunt, he shoved it aside.  A small smiling face was painted behind it in a pasty red ash.  Below it, "I see them, too!" was scrawled childishly. 

"She's in the fortress," Hikan growled.
"Hrnn, we spend nights looking.  Keep your eyes open during days.  Maybe she'll kill Telamon first, one less problem to worry over."

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: October 20, 2009, 07:02:28 pm »

The events of the 13th of Sandstone, 1070

Sulari stood in the small sitting room, surrounded by gems and trinkets.  She stood with her arms crossed, watching as Rice picked through the tools on his belt for one in particular. 

"Do I need to call in Adol to just break the door down?"
"No ma'am, I have it here.  No sense ruining a good alunite door if we can help it."
"This place is carved out of alunite, there's no harm for wasting a little."

Rice selected a slim, flat chisel from his belt and wedged it under the first of the hinges in the door.  He drew his mallet, and with a hard swing popped the bolt free.  The door creaked slightly on it's remaining hinges.  Sulari tightened her arms around her and kicked a few of the gems scattered at her feet.

"Who's are these?" she asked.
"No clue at all," Rice said.  I haven't seen anyone use this room in years, not since the old tax collector."
"Which one?"
"The old one," Rice said slowly, knocking another bolt free.  "The first one, that came with the Queen."

Sulari's jaw tightened as rice knocked the third, and final, bolt free from the door.  He caught it before it could drop and moved it aside.  The dust that stirred and rushed out from the sudden gust of air made the room look as if it was full of fog.  Sulari waited until it had settled before she stepped in.

Rice inhaled quickly beside her, touching his fingers to the small charm he wore around his neck.  The room was empty save for the bed, dresser and coffer, and the engravings on the floor. The floor, and the bed, were stained with old blood.  Resting upon the bed was the skeletal remains of a dwarf, clothing and armor still draped over it.  A maple sword jutted up from the ribs.

"How long has this been here?" Sulari asked, horrified.
"I don't know..." Rice said quietly. 
"See they get laid to rest," Sulari murmured.  "Once your done, check the fortress for other locked doors.  I pray we don't have a murderer among us."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: October 20, 2009, 07:07:16 pm »

Hmmm...I may have to read back through things. I can't think of whose body that might be.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: October 20, 2009, 08:53:45 pm »

Check the ledgers, if we're lucky they might have recorded the last user of that room, or at least why it was locked, before the real Glacies left

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: October 20, 2009, 09:36:50 pm »

Check the ledgers, if we're lucky they might have recorded the last user of that room, or at least why it was locked, before the real Glacies left

Hehehe, I wish it was that simple.  The only thing I have to go on is that it was, at one time, owned by the old Tax Collector and that the door was locked so obviously I did it for some reason.  The clothing and armor didn't have an owner though they were all covered in dwarf blood (and ONLY dwarf blood) so... really, I've got nothing.

Maybe it was the first soldier-mayor, the badass woman with the crippled spine, but I don't think so.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 20, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »

Who're the bones owned by? Or does it say? I can't remember if it does or not.

You've got copies of your old saves, right? Maybe you can peer through them for when the corpse was fresh.

The journal of Former Lieutenant Hikan Riddlewire,
Entry for the week of 15th Sandstone, 1070

Just my luck, our favorite serial killer is back. Let me tell you, having her back really put a smile on my face.

Her and the Corpses partying with the saboteurs doesn't bode well, but at least I know that when I smash some heads into the ground, I don't have to worry about whose side its on. Well, maybe a little. The skull that I'm smashing could belong to an innocent person, but honestly, anybody still alive here, and anybody's skull I'd want to smash probably has no business dabbling in innocence anyway.

The four of us are keeping our eyes open during the day, which is a bit of trouble seeing as how we keep them open at night, too. But a healthy dose of paranoia does great things for staying alert when you're thoroughly sleep-deprived. Seeing as how I'm in near constant fear of getting a spear run through my back or a bolt stuck in my head or other grim methods of dying because I work for Aryn, I can keep alert pretty damn well. It's a skill I've honed over the years. The water might have something to do with it, too. Sobriety has several side effects on dwarves, one of them insomnia, and I'm probably a case study for anything dealing with that.

A bit of a curious case opened up a few days ago. Apparently there was a dwarf killed on his bed, and he was locked in his room for years. Not surprised it happened, really, but I'm wondering who it was.

I'm not sure anybody knows. But if the maple sword stuck between the ribs says anything, I think I might know who did him in.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: October 21, 2009, 09:35:08 am »

Diary of maggarg
Rice and sulari found an ol' corpse in some room that's been locked for years. Probably since before I got here. Apparently it might have been the tax collector, and the corpse is pretty much a skeleton, despite the dry air here that normally stops stuff rotting. Hikan is in a sourer mood than normal, dunno why. On the plus side, that hammerer hasn't tried to follow up on his little meeting, so I'll probably never have to deal with him.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 189