Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 386583 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2070 on: June 13, 2009, 11:58:59 pm »

The events of the 12th of Granite, 1070

Dodik's was a bustle of activity, Dwarves drinking, fighting, laughing, playing cards and tiles, and generally being stout, raucous, and fully living up to the other races stereotypes.  Mookie was working the bar, for weeks now, actually.  There was a struggle of power between the brothel's namesake Dodik, and her second-in-command Rinsesilver over approaching Kuli with the information they had found.  The Fishers had left, fully and completely, and the bar was understaffed. 

Dodik was a wreck, Rinsesilver was a fuming despite the good news of the Goblin's death, and Mookie had absolutely no idea how to make change.  But that didn't stop her from having fun, or stop the soldiers from taking full advantage of this.

Hefting a heavy tankard of sewer brew, she carried it to a small table near the corner, where a slight dwarf sat hunched over a notepad.  She was doodling idly, and when the tankard was set in front of her, she gave a faint smile and placed the correct amount of coin on the table in thanks.  Mookie still gave her change though, which left the dwarf perplexed.

She lifted her head once more when a seat was pulled out on the opposite side of the table, and a well dressed Dwarf sat down.  She had on a smart coat pulled tight, and a flat brimmed hat with a small card in the band.  She smiled, and gave a little wave. 

"Can I help you?" Asked the Dwarf, quietly, as she looked up from her sketch.
"Yes, I'm Aya, reporter extrodonaire, and I was-"
"Reporter?"  The Dwarf blinked, pursing her lips.  "What's a reporter."

"Oh.  Well, see, we have a surplus of paper.  We found it in the back of Bertrands old office and room, reams of it, and to put it to use I'm planning to start a ... fortress news-letter of sorts.  Why let it all go to waste, aye?  Aye, that's right!  I've seen you in here before, and I was hoping to, maybe talk to you briefly, about what it is you do!  Let's start with a name."

The Dwarf looked down at her little sketch.  The lines were harsh at the edges, black streaks that worked their way to the top of the page.  Spikes edged out from it, and tendrils dripped down from the top of the dark tower, teeny windows blank white starkness amongst all the black. 

"I'm... Quote.  And I've been trying to meet with Master Roaroak.  But with Aryn's disappearance, he's been quite busy in the quarry, supervising the construction of Migrursut proper.  Architecture is a field that most overlook, being underground beings, and..." she trailed off, giving a shrug.  "Our fighting men could use some new bows," She finished lamely. 

"Mmmm," Aya said, her pen scribbling over a sheaf of paper.  "Honest worker, comes to fortress expecting grand halls and flying butresses.  Instead, she finds a dirt hovel, barely fit for Dwarves of Past - her talent, her love, architecture, abandoned in the face of such monstrous ignorance."

"That's not what I said at all!"
"Oh, please, that's just a note.  That won't be what our full-copy will be at all, don't you worry, dear!"

OOC notes:

We haven't gotten any migrants yet (I'm working on it, I swear) and thanks to sdp0et I still have a list of Dwarves that need to be added (thank you so much for that, again!)  However, these two new additions are special instances.

Quote found a decent way to incorporate a Dwarf into the fortress almost seemlessly, and besides, anyone who likes Aryn is a friend of mine (secret note, I like Aryn too, I find him terribly tragic <3).  Second, Aya is a request that was rescinded by long-time reader and contributor Xofrevlis.  I know he pulled it back, but I added her back in for two reasons.  I love the idea of a reporter snooping around and being annoying to everyone involved, and also I want to give something, anything, back to a very talented guy who's put a lot of heart into his drawings for this story without asking anything in return. 

So - there ya' go.

Tarquinius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: June 14, 2009, 11:48:17 am »

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the name and personality of the new reporter Aya makes me think of Aya Shameimaru, a reporter from the Touhou games.
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Or in other words: shy from the sky. No answer lies there. It cannot care, especially for what it no longer knows. Treat that place as a thing unto itself, independent of all else, and confront it on those terms. You alone must find the way. No one else can help you. Every way is different. And if you do lose yourself at least take solace in the absolute certainty that you will perish.

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: June 14, 2009, 04:35:04 pm »

Adamantine?! Don't make me a noble, it could lead to trouble, and my magma death.

Journal of "Quote" Walledbrand
I've started this journal to document my exploits here at Migrursut (Or Oceanbled in the Human tongue.) While at Dodiks a strange 'gal, calling herself a reporter (Whatever the hell that is,) and began to ask me questions. It was quite annoying because I was in the middle of one of my architectural drawings.

Master Roaroak has been unavailable due to Aryns disappearance, if these distractions keep popping up I may never see the Master. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:40:42 pm by Quote »

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: June 14, 2009, 10:55:14 pm »

Nice seeing Dodik's getting some storyline action lately  ;D
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: June 16, 2009, 09:57:30 am »

Plenty of action at Dodiks. Open anytime, rain (ha) or shine. Dodik's - have you Come Lately?
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: June 16, 2009, 04:56:06 pm »

Plenty of action at Dodiks. Open anytime, rain (ha) or shine. Dodik's - have you Come Lately?

Hahaha, seriously the best slogan for a brothel ever.  And to think, she was once a mopey emo girl, sulking around the fortress annoying Stravitch.  Ahh, how they grow up so fast...

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: June 19, 2009, 09:33:39 am »

The events of the 16th of Granite, 1070

"Forgive me, Maester, for I have sinned."
"Please, Miss Tinbells, there is no need for formalities such as that here.  We are all sinners in the eyes of Zefon, yet we are all loved just the same."
"No, I must apologize.  Mookie refused to stay behind."

Mookie waved happily from her seat, and Dodik shot her a deaths glare that was either unnoticed, or completely ignored.  Maester Kuli couldn't help but smile, though Jools, standing at his right, rolled his eyes.

"I understand you have something of... some importance to discuss with me, yes?"
"I apologize for it taking so long," Dodik said slowly.  She found herself starting to stutter, and frowned.  What was this?  She ran the most profitable enterprise for leagues, she worked with Dwarves daily, and she had even hosted the Maester when he was thrown out of his own temple.  And now, now, when she has news that could impact all Dwarves in this fortress, she becomes nervous and giddy with fear? 

Dodik-Come-Lately frowned, and took a deep breath.  After steadying herself, she continued, "There was much discussion, and much argument, with my assistant Rinsesilver.  She found the note I gave you, but wanted to keep it secret.  'why bother ourselves with the business of others?' she said.  'We're outside the fortress, leave them to their fates' - but I find that unkind, and against the wishes of Zefon.  I wanted to speak with you... about Olsmo."

Vash made a complicated sign over his heart, quickly sucking air through his teeth.  Maester Kuli glanced down at the note again, and gave a grave nod.

"Olsmo is a great evil.  A demon that has caused wanton Destruction across the land.  Why he would be interested in our home, in these wastes?  I do not know.  But to think he has been banished from our realm is encouraging, to think he may return due to the stolen children of the sands, is not..."
"You've dealt with the beast before, have you not?"
"Not directly, I've dealt with followers, and his vessels.  He is..." Kuli, imperturbable, shuddered.  Jools stared at him in shock.  "We've had possessions in this fortress before, and they have been banished.  I fear the magic here, that which brings the dead back to life, is allowing him to gain strength."

Mookie frowned, and spoke up, despite the slap to the arm she was given.  "But the Star-God, the one that Snake..." she paused, frowning at the memory, "killed to save Sulari.  He told the dreamers that Olsmo was dead, by his hand."
"I think the Star God was a trickster," Kuli said quietly.  "And would have said anything to gain your trust."

"But we've only had a handful of child-thefts in nearly twenty years," Dodik said.  "I know I wasn't here at the beginning, but all the engravings... the history is very descript.  There's barely been any Goblins to escape with children."
"...I think it's the Grov's..." Mookie said, suddenly, and quietly.

All eyes turned to her.  She gave her beard a quick, nervous tug, and shrugged. "I see them around a lot.  Usually only in pairs, but once I saw them in the magma vent, fighting with Hikan.  I thought I'd drank too much, but they keep showing up, and... if Grov's keep dissapearing, they could be used..."

Kuli's brow creased in confusion.  Jools couldn't hold back his laughter, "Grovs?  Multiples of the little pudding head?  Hardly.  So much trouble would be caused if there was more than one. that's pure folly."
"Who has been Grov's keeper?" Kuli asked.
"Glacies," Vash replied.  "Glacies uses him in his magic show, but he's been in confinement since Limul was assassinated."
"...mayhap we should speak with Glacies concerning his young apprentice..."
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:25:31 pm by Heavy Flak »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: June 19, 2009, 02:23:47 pm »

They should ask Hikan if he wants to rough up Glacies. He still hasn't got payback for Glacies siccing those Grovs on him.

Heh, Grovlsmo indeed. I've just got this image of Olsmo coming to Migrursut as a terminally stupid child multiplied by twelve.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: June 20, 2009, 12:20:35 pm »

If he has the combined intellect of all the Grovs, he may be merely subnormal.

I approve of the use of the term 'pudding head.'
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: June 21, 2009, 09:04:30 am »

The events of the 18th of Granite, 1070

Sulari sat at the table, her head bowed over her mug of rum.  Life had been rough since she quit the guard.  Merkil was nice, as were her previous squad, but the other Dwarves seemed to just avoid her.  They were afraid.  It was understandable, she had done some terrible things while in armed service, terrible things to keep them safe, but it was all needed. 

When Snake died, when... her mind blanked out, and Sulari sighed, taking a long pull from her rum.  What was the point?  What was her purpose?  Really, what was the purpose of any Dwarf here? 

She looked up at a rapping on her table, and saw Merkil standing above her, resplendant in his shining armor and helm.  He crossed his arms over his chest, and she could swear, hidden behind the grand beard, his lips were turned up into a small smile.

"What do you want, commander?" Sulari asked softly.
"I'm only here to tell you something, then you can get back to your duties," he said, nodding towards the mug.
"What is it, then.  I'm a little busy."
"Well, the men and I, we banded together.  To make a long story short, you should gather your things and move rooms, Mayor Sulari Clappedrooms.  You're new job starts tomorrow."

Sulari only gaped at him as he walked away, her head throbbing with drink, with terror, with a sudden, violent purpose.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:48:27 am by Heavy Flak »

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: June 21, 2009, 10:15:51 am »

The events of the 23rd of Granite, 1070

"Well, this is certainly unwelcome," Jools said.
"You'd think he'd have the decency to hang himself after we interrogated him," Vash replied, frowning deeply.

They stood in Glacies room, watching him swing softly in the breeze created by the opening door.  Lugnut paused briefly in the hallway, a smile touching his lips, before he darted off, cheering and celebrating. 

"Well, we better cut him down."
"Be careful, you don't want to bruise him any more than he already is," Jools said, "or they'll think we beat him first."

Sulari stood by Sgt. Peppers Bridge of Love, the majority of the Dwarven populace crowded around her.  She smiled, the first in a while, and raised her hands to silence their talking and cheers.

"We have a long road a head of us," she said, her voice echoing off the stone walls, "and I suspect it will be difficult.  That is fine.  You are hard workers, and you are hardy people.  You've suffered, you've been punished, and now?  Now we will work together to do what is right, and to make our home one of joy, and happiness, regardless of what those outside and in, those who want to see us fail, attempt to do."

Earlier that morning

The door to Glacies room opened slowly.  He turned to look at it, smirking, but that was wiped off his face when the Dwarf stepped inside.  He was wearing leather armor and a trench coat, a laughing face painted on his left pec, a crying face painted on his right.  He wore a simple mask, just a covering over his eyes.  There was a soft snnnk, and an extendable spear clicked into place.

"What the hell do ya' want, Hikan?" Glacies said, scooting back on his bed against the wall. 
"I think we should talk.  About things.  Things you did.  And sic'd on me.  I've owed you something for a while you weasel."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Glacies said, frantically.  He scrambled to the right, lifting the bone-and-skull totem he had "bought" from the store.
"Your little stunt, with the Grov's.  I had to put two-and-two together, and bide my time.  I know you had nothing to do in Limul's death-"

"That's right, I didn't, I was just delivering the damn goblin like he asked and went to gamble at Dodik's!"
"-but you still pissed ME off.  That's a problem you created on your own, buddy.  A really big one."

"I'm not even really Glacies," Glacies screamed, "I'm his replacement, he left, he left years ago, on some stupid quest, I'm not even Glacies!"

"I don't care if you're queen Rigoth, risen from the dead and come back to the throne," Hikan said, laughing low.  He turned the spear around, gripping it near the head, and brought the hilt down hard on Glacies arm.  The book keep screamed and dropped the totem.  "I'm going to beat you bloody for impersonating a fine Dwarf, and then I'm going to have you killed for being a useless git, and wasting Aryn, and my, time."

At Sulari's Rally

Stravitch stood at the top of the parapit, scowling.  It was a deep scowl, one of the deepest he had done in weeks, though those who didn't know him very well might have mistaken it for his normal expression.

Telamon, his eyes cold behind his miners mask, recognized the look.

"Why ya' so blue, panda bear?"
"Screw you, look at that, there's actually a mayor who could take you or me in a fight.  Aryn was a little bug, but he was a scrapper and had Hikan.  Anyone else could be taken, but SULARI?  She's a bull!"
"She'll be fine," Telamon assured him, "We pro'lly dunna' even need ta' worry 'bout her.  I s'pect she'll be mar' concerned with Rinsesilver than wi'ana'thin' we might be doin."

"And why do you think that?" Stravitch asked.
"Because I'm gunna' have tha' dumb bitch framed fer' sumthin' real damn big, and it's gunna make me the happiest dwarf in th'world."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:53:48 am by Heavy Flak »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: June 21, 2009, 01:09:45 pm »

This does beg the question...when is the real Glacies coming back??
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 21, 2009, 02:12:17 pm »

I actually sent Glacies a PM hinting at this scenario a few days ago, and haven't gotten a response back.  I'm willing to bet he's let that terrible thing called Real Life get it's claws firmly gripped into him.

With that in mind I have ideas about the real Glacies, and Bloodclocks, and any other Dwarves that came with him - though they may not ever get to Migrursut...

End ambiguous spoilers

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: June 21, 2009, 07:50:40 pm »

OOC stuff:

I just found this, and thought it was funny -

"Gekurgingim, The Lesser Distrust

Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally designed image of a Batman skull by Valania Vukrigmeng."

What's so funny about that, is I misplaced that "A" when I read it the first time, and thought Valania was plotting to kill Batman.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 21, 2009, 08:32:02 pm »

The events of the 11th of Slate, 1070

Lugnut sighed, hauling a huge sack down the hallway.  He did it grudgingly, seeming to hate his work.  His face was long, his strides slow.  He thought of fishing instead of what he was doing; fishing just had an appeal, and when he had down time, however small, he'd go behind the Church of Zefon and quietly, and peacefully, lose himself in the heat and the relaxation of just casting into the aqueducts to catch small treats for later.

"What are you doin'?" a voice said, behind him.
Lugnut turned, blinking, to stare into the hoary face of Cokho Roknut.  The legendary hauler was scowling, his knotted hands twisted into fists.  Slowly he raised one, and pointed it at Lugnut.

"It wasn't me," shrieked the mechanic.  "It was all Glacies, he did it all, it was him!"
"What are you talking about?" snapped Cokho Roknut.  "You're hauling that huge lumpy sack all wrong.  Put your hips and shoulders into it, and bend your back.  The more bent it is, the faster you can haul it.  That's where your hauling muscles are.  For a Mech, you're not very learned into the mechanics of the human body."

Lugnut was about to respond, but the sack shifted, and a series of giggles erupted.  The pair stared down at it, and a tiny voice said, "Shhh, we're hiding."

Lugnut coughed, and grabbed the top of the sack once more before hurrying off. "With my hips, got it.  Well, I have to... get this to the magma now, and get to the stream.  Have a good day, sir."
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 189