Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 386552 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1965 on: April 18, 2009, 10:46:55 am »

Sticky kisses from a small child makes us smile. It gives Stravitch a stabing pain between the eyes.

And nobody likes strawberry seeds. Stupid things...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: April 18, 2009, 12:14:20 pm »

Stravich babysitting.
It must be done.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: April 19, 2009, 12:33:20 am »

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:36:42 am by Stravitch »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: April 19, 2009, 06:33:32 am »

He's alcoholic, even by dwarf standards.
He's now a chemical hazard from the mercury.
He's also a dwarf.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: April 19, 2009, 03:08:19 pm »

The events of the 11th of Hematite, 1069

Summer announced itself with a bang; the normal sweltering temperatures now totally unbearable.  Time outdoors should be kept to a minimum, though for some - the majority of the masons and the blacksmiths were forced by Aryn's law to toil in the quarry.  Though they did as told, the grumblings and discontent were at an all time high.  Few were willing to suffer quietly when they felt as if they were melting, the majority of the laborers sun burnt and disenfranchised with their Great Glass Savior.

The military, by contrast, had never been in higher spirits.  The only time they spent outside was just after dusk, the majority heading over to Dodik's for drinks, shows and laughter.  With the hordes of camels uncharacteristically light, with the greenskins absent for months, they spent the mornings training lazily, or occasionally shirking their duties all together - a habit Major Merkil was willing to overlook for the hot season. 

Some spent their time talking to Sulari in the mess, the Woodcutter's laugther infectuous.  Adol spent his time hunting down Maggarg and routing him from wherever he had taken to hiding, or returning small trinkets to their owners rooms where his friend had been the previous night.  Some dwarves read and socialized.  Some, like Varen, visited their loved ones.

He sat outside of the shops with his fiance Meng, letting the cold air sucked out from the fortress by the magma pits keep them cool.  Their legs dangled from the edge.  They held hands, and smiled, sipping from a bottle of wine Meng had grifted from the larder.  The pair was silent, but they didn't need to talk - they were content to just be in each others company. 

"Ha ha ha, look at THAT!" a slurred voice called from behind them, harshly breaking their moment.  "A pair of love birds!  Adorable!"
"Stravitch, a pleasant surprise..." Varen said.  He was nervuos, and he gave Meng's hand a quick squeeze.  "It's been a while since, ah, I talked to you last."
"Yeah it has, but you know what?  It doesn't matter, I've had you replaced."

Unexpectedly, Varen felt a small twinge of regret at those words.  Though he was harassed constantly, and his training hampered as he was forced to accompany the old goat to the Dodik's, how harmful had he really been? 
"I'm sorry about that, sir.  Perhaps with your retirement we could," what am I saying he thought in horror, but his mouth kept running, "get a drink sometime."
"Aye ya', perhaps after church services tonight.  You'll be there."  It was not a question.
"I don't worship Lenod," Varen said,  but Akim Akimurist."

"And?"
"...and I don't worship Lenod, sir."
"And?"
"And I won't be there!" he snapped.

Stravitch glared at him, before shrugging.  "Fine, but at least sit through confessional."
"Sir," Varen said wearily.  "We don't have those.  Our confessional is the field of battle, or church services are at the victory pyres.  I have nothing that needs confessing."
"What?  That's not what this is about.  This is about me, damn it."  Stravitch's voice dropped conspiratorially.  "That idiot-child, Grov.  I booted him into the magma, from that spot you're sitting in."

The pair's horror was immediately evident, and Stravitch laughed.  "What does it matter, though?  There must be hundreds of the little beasts running around here now."
"How much have you had to drink?  That's attro- wait.  I saw Grov just an hour ago, eating dried apples."
"Aye ya', 'cause there are more of him."
"There can't be more of him," Meng finally spoke.  "There are only one of any of us.  Are there more of you, sir, because you think there are?"
"It's a different situation entirely.  You know what?  Fine, you two wait here.  I'm going to go get myself a Grov or two and pitch them into the damned magma, and show you."

Stravitch lumbered off, swaying into the wall as he tried to round the corner.  Varen waited until he was out of earshot, before saying quietly, "We should leave, I don't want to be here when he comes back."
"That's an excellent idea," Meng replied, scooping up their bottle of wine.

Pixelfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: April 19, 2009, 11:45:06 pm »

Noo! I missed paint doodle time! I also did strav.

I don't know why I decided he should be missing an eye.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 20, 2009, 01:40:59 am »

I hope it isn't too late to throw my hat into the ring?

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 20, 2009, 07:55:24 am »

Never too late to MS Paint!
Just don't give us up, or let us down...

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 20, 2009, 08:03:53 am »

This thing came out kind of demented looking, which is probably the way it should be.

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: April 20, 2009, 08:14:31 am »

Haha.  I wanna see Dodik.  That should be a good one.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: April 20, 2009, 08:24:46 am »

And fixed.  Who would have thought image leeching was a bad thing? 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:32:34 am by Heavy Flak »

Xunngom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: April 20, 2009, 12:39:37 pm »

Today, a friend of mine was talking about how awesome Dwarf Fortress was, and I shared a few stories from my latest fort. He said Hey, I've been reading this story about this fortress in the desert, with magma, run by some mad Stalinist from Nist Akath. I mentioned that I had a character in a story like that, before the forums kept 404'ing on me. See, I figured they'd crashed and burned, and that the threads had all gone up in smoke. I joked how we'd never even found out who Olsmo was...

And he said You know, maybe you should start reading the forums again. Just an idea.

Hey, everyone, I'm back. I used to be Electrum, but I can't remember my password for the life of me. Varen's mine, and I'm amazed he hasn't succumbed to the pressures in this dystopian fort. Finding out he has a fiancée is just the cherry on the pie. <3

So now I have a free evening, peach beer and 132 pages of epic thread to read through. Incredible. Heavy Flak, you rock! Thanks for keeping the dream alive.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: April 20, 2009, 03:22:34 pm »

I wish that was my evening.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: April 20, 2009, 03:29:10 pm »

I get to go dine at a fine Tapenyaki (spelling?) and sip warm sake.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: April 21, 2009, 10:22:54 am »

I sit in front of a screen, staring at an MS word document.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 189