Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 385276 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1710 on: January 26, 2009, 10:42:18 am »

Jim Groovester: There really is no, you know, way to STOP Stravitch from disbanding the guard.  Without a leader there would be a bunch of infighting over who would get the position.  For simplicity sake, there really ISN'T a fortress guard without the Captain to keep them in line, so until a new one is appointed there's a fortress without a peace keeping, head busting, civilian arresting cadre of mean-spirited mostly-crippled drunks. 

Concerning the Captains Post: I have plans in mind (whatever THAT means!) but that's not to say my decisions won't be swayed by the community at large.  If you lot can come to a decision on who should take the position over, I'll definitely keep it in mind as things progress.

Concerning Sefulkubok: I doubt anyone could pry that mace away from Stravitch, dead or alive.  He also has hunting enabled, which means he's prancing about the fortress in full plate with two maces!  He also has siege operating enabled, which sounds exactly like good clean fun to me. 

CanadianWolverine:  It's pretty safe to assume that the whole group is dead for good, mostly because I can't get DC to raise any more corpses for me.  That's not to say stuff won't happen in the future, but for now, well, they're all dead.  This should also serve as a good example as to why I usually push the champions out into the sands - watching an entire group get slaughtered, I just sat there slack jawed, frantically trying to get the bastards to run away and wait for the cavalry to arrive.  Likot's "surprising" turn of events happened exactly as described.  She ran out of bolts, calmly waited for Zako to die, then grabbed his quiver and killed the rest of them. 

thunderclan:  You're in, whenever something happens and we get more bodies!

neo1096: You, along with every other dwarf in the military, were storming towards the squad of hidden goblins.  You had made it as far as Dodik's before Likot finished the goblins off with bolts to the face. 

Keifru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 26, 2009, 11:36:54 am »

Diary property of Kivish. Any attempts to read the writings therein will be blanked every few sentences.
Date:

It has been awhile since I've written, and a lot has happened!
Stravich quit, and the Toxin Temple continues to terrorize others with great stress...especially Aryn.
And then the goblins slaughtered Zako and others...Likot said they got there to late. Poor guys. I hope to find a cloud in their shapes in the sky; their souls may reform as clouds do, too...
Speaking of killing, those goblins are definitely bigger than they should be. It is probably this land; it breeds the biggest and the baddest of the evil...

Below is a picture of a temple. There is a dwarf. There is another dwarf. There are dwarves. There are other dwarves. One dwarf is surrounded by dwarves. He is yelling. The other dwarf is throwing a star at the first dwarf. They are all surrounded by more dwarves.

Below is a picture of a dwarf. There is another dwarf. There is another dwarf. There is another dwarf. There is one more dwarf. There is an undead dwarf. There are goblins. The goblins are making threatening gestures. One dwarf is disembowled. One dwarf is bleeding from his head. Another dwarf is missing a finger. Another dwarf's head is at a funny angle. The last dwarf has a hole in his chest. The undead dwarf is shooting the goblins.

All scribbling is done with the highest craftsdwarfship.

Note: I need to think of a better way to list what characters are in my pictures.

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 26, 2009, 12:04:11 pm »

CanadianWolverine:  It's pretty safe to assume that the whole group is dead for good, mostly because I can't get DC to raise any more corpses for me.  That's not to say stuff won't happen in the future, but for now, well, they're all dead.  This should also serve as a good example as to why I usually push the champions out into the sands - watching an entire group get slaughtered, I just sat there slack jawed, frantically trying to get the bastards to run away and wait for the cavalry to arrive.  Likot's "surprising" turn of events happened exactly as described.  She ran out of bolts, calmly waited for Zako to die, then grabbed his quiver and killed the rest of them.

OOC: Oh good! I was so worried Wardun'ell would be laid up in a bed healing from now till eternity. I am so glad she is dead - not necessarily because I am a terrible writer...  :P Really, ever since I first asked for a character to do some bizarre journal entries for, I was hoping for a character who would go out fighting and just getting massacred.  8) And don't worry about sophomoric sexuality from a dwarvish hussy, there is still Dodrik's! Surely there will still be wrestling on top of Stravich there, while Wardun'ell's ghost looks on from on top of Stravich's terrible temple to her god, chuckling and planning humorous ways to mess with Eita.

Honestly, things couldn't have gone any better, Wardun'ell found exactly what she was looking for, a kick ass way to go on the red sand. If anything, if my experiences with DF are anything to go by, soon the living dwarves will envy the dead - though not necessarily the undead ones...  ;)

Though I do remember now Migrursut survived a possible tantrum spiral after the tentacles attacked, so perhaps I am hoping for too much "fun" stuff to happen.  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:20:01 pm by CanadianWolverine »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 26, 2009, 12:05:53 pm »

Diary of maggarg.
Dead. Rolland, War'dunnel, Fireheart and Zako.
Poor kids. I wonder why it's them that die and not greybeards like myself. I should'a been out there. They might still be alive. I know that dead bitch Likot watched my men die, and I'm not having that.
Stravich could'a helped as well. Gah, I'm applying for captain of the guard. Contradiction it may be, but I want the fortress guard again. I'll get some o' the fresher lads, and I'll train'em. Nothing like this can happen again, ever. Zako was like a sort of daft son to me.
That, and I want to see the face of that Riddlewire. Slimy sober bastard.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 26, 2009, 12:20:58 pm »

Nothing like this can happen again, ever. Zako was like a sort of daft son to me.

Uh oh... this reminds me.  Maggard (and Adol, Rolland and Sparrow) were all friends with Zako, not to mention probably other dwarves.  I saved immediately after the battle, and didn't check the status of the fortress at large.  There's this small chance of a tantrum spiral that might need to be contained.  Exciting times are upon us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 26, 2009, 12:37:49 pm »

Well...damn. That was unexpected. I'll have to think about Adol's reaction to all of this. Outraged, I'm sure, but I don't know beyond that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 26, 2009, 06:20:11 pm »

...a peace keeping, head busting, civilian arresting cadre of mean-spirited mostly-crippled drunks.

Peace keeping, sometimes; head busting, definitely check; civilian arresting, check; mean-spirited big check; mostly crippled nope; drunks, not even close.

Three and a half out of six ain't bad. I know the perfect candidate! You might know him! See, he drinks water, wears a trenchcoat...

Exciting times are upon us!

Gods of the Razor of Dance, help us.

That, and I want to see the face of that Riddlewire. Slimy sober bastard.

Will Aryn Estetar choose one of the many excellent candidates from the military who will no doubt fulfill the position with honor and integrity, or will he pick his fanatically loyal personal bodyguard who will no doubt abuse the position to further Aryn's will?

We shall see, we shall see. In any case, it is on.

Note: I need to think of a better way to list what characters are in my pictures.

Maybe include their distinguishing physical features? For example: There is a dwarf with a leg brace. The dwarf is dying. There is another dwarf in a green glass gas mask. The dwarf is laughing.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 26, 2009, 06:32:12 pm »

A request from Jim Groovester that went previously unmet.  No pictures, I'm just going to type it up since they're not REAL story characters, just bit parts.  I know it's more work, shut it!

Athel Shellpaint
Ahel Kerliglogem has been ecstatic lately.  She admired own very fine Trap lately.  She slept in a great bedroom recently.  She admired a fine Container lately.  She had a find drink lately.  She was forced to talk to somebody annoying lately.  She had a wonderful drink lately.  She had a pretty decent drink lately.  She was comforted by a lovely waterfall lately.  (lulz)
She is a faithful worshipper of Ibmat
She is a royal guard of The Polished Trumpet.  She is a citizen of The Razor of Dance.  She is a member of The Polished Trumpet.
Athel Kerliglogem likes Pitchblende, Iron, Red zircon, cave spider silk and oysters for their beauty.  When possible, she prefers to consume Strawberry wine.
She has a calm demeanor.  She is comfortable in social situations.  She enjoys the company of others.  She is confident.  She has a sense of duty.  She is occasionally given to procrastination.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She does not mind being outdoors, at least for a time.  She doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Athel has no friends other than Vatek, and has a huge grudege against one of the Budseal twins.  Go figure.

Udib Arrowsalves
Udib Febsibrek has been ecstatic lately.  She slept in a great bedroom recently.  She talked with a friend lately.  She admired a wodnerful Floor Grate lately.  She dined in a good dining room recently.  She admired own fine Bed lately.  She was comforted by a lovely waterfall lately. 
She is romantically involved with Hikan Riddlewire.  She is a worshipper of Limul the Diamonds of Gilding.
She is a royal guard of The Polished Trumpet.  She is a citizen of The Razor of Dance.  She is a member of The Polished Trumpet.
Udib Febsibrek likes Sylvite, Gold, White jade, the color gray, maces, gauntlets and wizards for their mysterious power (wut??).  She absolutely detests bats.

She is quick to anger.  She can handle stress.  She is relaxed.  She prefers familiar routines.  She finds helping others rewarding.  She is modest.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.  She is a hardened individual (from dating Hikan)

She is also friends with the Budseal twins, and I suspect that offers all sorts of uncomfortable situations at the office parties.

The Royal Guard use spears because they look the most ceremonial, and because if shit hits the fan, they should be able to keep attackers away from Aryn while he can escape to safety. 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 26, 2009, 06:49:51 pm »

Thanks for the info. My curiosity has been sated.

I guess Aryn's guard has never ever seen combat, since they're not enemies of any groups. Weird that Udib likes wizards, and funny that dating Hikan is a traumatic experience. Also, the Budseal connection. Strange.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 26, 2009, 07:20:13 pm »

Wait, hold on, wasn't War'dunnel in Eita's squad?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 26, 2009, 07:30:51 pm »

The events of the 18th of Granite, 1068

Aryn's office, the general setting for the Town Council meetings, was filled to the brim with screaming, jostling, angry bodies.  The council still met around Aryn's large table, Bertrand trying to remain hidden in the corner, Crowpages and Glacies pouring over a set of items that could be traded to the elven caravan, and Duke Bomrek, finally looking back in his element after the horrid demise of his wife and son.  Aryn sat at the far end by the wall, Hikan standing up behind him, wearing a look of smug importance

Represenatives of every guild were in the room, shouting out demands; Merkil stood in the doorway, his great arms crossed over his chest, glowering in regal dominance as a show of support for the soldiers.  Even Vatek had showed up, though he looked glum, sure that Stravitch would soon be waking up from his afternoon passing-out and demand Vatek help him learn how to use the catapults lining the fortress walls. 

His face growing bright red, Aryn slammed his fist upon the table top.  "EVERYONE SHUT UP!" He bellowed, strands of thin blond hair falling across his face.  He brushed these aside irritably, his voice at a more reasonable range once the room had fallen silent.  "While I ... respect that you are upset, these are private meetings, and you are in no way helping your cause.  Leave, your leaders need time to plan."

"Plan my ass," Erendor said, his face thinner, worry lines darkening the corners of his eyes.  "You're not going to do anything, and we're left defenseless while you sit in here."
"We're not defenseless," Aryn snapped, "We have a full standing army, in excellent condition and practice.  They're the pride of our fortress, and they are ALL you need to stay safe."
"Four of them are dead," Erendor pressed on. "In the last battle, a simple skirmish!  And this is days after you bullied Captain Fillwhip into quitting!"
"I didn't bully him into quitting, he-"
"Without the fortress guard, our defending forces are cut in half," Merkil said, his voice calm and level.  "We need someone to fill the spot, and keep the internal peace, while my soldiers keep the evil from getting in."
"He speaks the truth!" Erendor again, a rallying cry flooding around him.  "Bring back the fortress guard!  Four are dead!  We're not safe!"

"Five are dead" Hikan said, his voice low and gravely.  He took a plug from his flask.  "Mayor Ineth was found out by the dig site, slaughtered."  He glanced at Vatek, who gave a resigned shrug and touched his mouth with a single finger. 

"You all are pathetic," Aryn growled.  The vehemence in his voice, the sheer rage and anger, caused a murmur to ripple through the crowd.  "You're so worried about the champions that fell in battle.  These are woman and men that train every day to fight, to protect your worthless hides, to keep everything we hold near and dear safe from invaders, thieves, and monsters.  They were out there doing their jobs, and when they die doing what can only be classified as the single most heroic job any dwarf can possibly do, you find fit to complain."

In the silence that followed, Aryn pressed on.  He rose from his seat, smashing his fist on the table a second time.  "Do you complain at all the other deaths?  At the miners, the haulers, the masons, the fishers, that always find uniquely stupid ways to end their lives?  Of course not - those are OCCUPATIONAL hazards.  How many of you even knew Ineth Orbsbarb was dead?  She's been dead for days now, and I haven't heard a single thing about her.  All I've heard is our poor champions are now in danger because a man I have heard nothing but complaints about has stepped down, and an entirely useless and wasteful sub-section of our security force has been loafing and drinking instead of joining YOU to haul, to build, to sculpt, to carve, to mine.

"Stravitch Fillwhip, and his damned guardsmen, will never see a single shred of power again.  With Ineth dead, it's no longer in her power to assign that position to the fort - it falls to me.  If he steps out of line at all, Hikan will handle him, or Merkil, you and your crew will be charged to bring the rogue Dwarf down.  Until then, get about your lives, and stop being so damned stupid.  The greatest threat to this fortress isn't the lack of guardsman, it's your own inability to judge good ideas from bad ones.  Now return to work, before you're all docked a days pay."

The Dwarves filed out, and though Aryn was pleased to see many were struck into morose silence, he made notes of the ones he could pick out grumbling treasonous things under their breath.

OOC Stuff
Eita: This is embarrassing towards the dead, but since you brought it up...

The only reason War'dunell was out there, was because she had bolted from Dodik's and tried to grab "equipment" off of Fireheart's corpse.  I'm assuming that "equipment" was probably pants, or maybe socks, because she was a horrible pervert.  She was interrupted by a Goblin Wrestler on her way there.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 26, 2009, 07:45:48 pm »

As long as she wasn't after my sword. That would be unforgivable.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 26, 2009, 07:45:58 pm »

So she died trying to get at Fireheart's pants.

Apt.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:55 pm »

I always love a good Aryn smackdown.

Can I take it from Vatek's signal to Hikan that Mayor Orbsbarb was killed by Migrursut's adorable serial killer?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:13:29 pm by Jim Groovester »

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 26, 2009, 09:50:23 pm »

Dodik Come Lately leaned over the railing that ringed the top of her tower.  The view never ceased to amaze her, the red sands stretching out beyond the walls of Migrursut, doted by distant oases, the nearby river turning into a green band of vegetation as it disappeared into the horizon.

As her gaze drew past the Temple of Zefon, her chuckle felt hollow.  Most dwarves hadn't even noticed that her tower was built a full dwarf's height taller than the temple, then again most dwarves spent their time with their face too buried in stone to notice such things.  She made her fortune keeping the dwarves of this place too drunk to appreciate what raw ambition can do for someone with enough beards to take the risk.  Her thoughts came to Aryn, and though she was certain he had little respect for her trade, both of them understood what made dwarves like them tick...

Her eye caught the gaping pit as it always had, a growing monstrosity that refused to be ignored.  In that pit Dodik had come to see the sign of things to come.  Aryn had shifted the entire paradigm on all of them.  As that pit grew, so too did the inevitability of what was to come of the dwarves of Migrursut.

It was time for her to secure her place in that future.

OOC: I have a much easier time writing in third person, rather than in first person journals, so i think i'll stick with that.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 189