Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 385125 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1515 on: December 14, 2008, 04:38:46 pm »

I think Dodik always needs more to help around the place.  "Lady" however is an awfully strong term. ;D

Journal of Keldor:

I got a good look at Bridgetrampled's new amulet today.  I must say, the use of donkey leather is deeply disturbing.  I suppose that since it was from those poor, poor beasts that were slain by the dread camels, it's at least partially forgivable, so that their memories may live on.  Speaking of which, I wonder what that human is so upset about.  After all, at least his arm didn't get made into practice bolts!
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: December 14, 2008, 05:14:44 pm »

any unforeseen complications with the waterfall?
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: December 14, 2008, 06:22:32 pm »

any unforeseen complications with the waterfall?

Surprisingly, no!  Okay, that's a lie.  There were two minor things.

The first was, I misjudged and put the flood gates too close to the corners, so all the water rushed out and over the edges of the overhang, and flooded the sands.  Which is fine, because the second involved the pumps not working because I had one too-few waterwheels set up (which is bullshit, something is actually hosed with the power consumption).

I actually had this planned as an update on Friday, but I wanted to have if fixed and working first.  And I'm honestly surprised it works.  Now to just see if the water eventually overflows the channel I make, which will result in a a quick fix valve shut-off. 

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: December 16, 2008, 01:20:31 am »

How's the picture coming along Glacies? Drawing... Zako... undead... battles...

Zako has been taken by a fey mood!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:51:30 am by Zako »

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: December 16, 2008, 05:35:17 pm »

The Events of the 12th of Limestone, 1067

"GOBLINS!" 
"Damn it all," Rinsesilver screamed.  She turned hard on her heel, planting a fist into the wooden doors of Dodik's.  Cracked wood and blood smeared the spot where she had hit, and in her rage she didn't feel the pain at all.  She lifted her other hand, pointing it towards the squad of goblin ambushers just south of the brothel, her voice raised to a near screech, "Go get Likot and Sgt. Pepper, someone fetch their rotting hides!  No more drinks until this is dealt with!"

But before one of her lackeys could vanish below to fetch the undead, a dwarf in dented metal armor went sprinting past.  Rinsesilver squinted, shielding her eyes, and watched as Vatek crushed the first goblins head with a hard blow from his mace, the creature planting itself in the send with a rush of air.  Using the unmoving body as a springboard, he dove into the mess of greenskins, crushing head and limbs under his blows.

Rinsesilver watched as the guardsman, his duty done, slowly limped back towards the construction site.  She also watched as Stravitch came trundling down the road, angry and red faced, waving his hands in the air as he screamed, "The hell are you doing away from your post!  I told you NOT to leave!  You are in SO much trouble for this!  What could have compelled you?"

Vatek's response was a surly point of his mace, towards the piles of bodies gathered in the sand.  "They were trying to raid Dodik's now that it reopened."
"Oh.  well then," Stravitch said, mollified.  He gave a half-hearted salute, and pushed past him to the bridge.  "Carry on then, guardsman."

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: December 16, 2008, 07:48:23 pm »

The 19th of Limestone, 1067

Aryn and Glacies stood out in the courtyard to welcome the Dwarvish merchants from Stukos Matul.  Every time Aryn looked over, Glacies was busy chewing on muck root, his teeth stained a ruby red.  Occasionally the book keep would flash a smile, and Aryn would groan in disgust and look away. 

The lead merchant gingerly stepped around the emaciated, one-armed human, and gestured towards his prostrate form.  Aryn just closed his eyes and shrugged.  "I don't know, he's been there for weeks.  Just ignore him."
"He's asking for water?"
"Yes, he does that.  Just don't worry about him, the kids will be back up to poke him with sticks soon... just, ugh, just ignore that.'
"Alright..."  The merchants said, sparing the human one last glance.  "Your roads are awfully dangerous this time of year.  We ran into some of those camels, and then a squad of goblins-"
"ANOTHER squad of goblins?" Aryn said, exasperated.
"Yeah, they had thrown some... I guess a miner to the camels and were watching them trample him to death.  We slipped past while they were busy."
"Damn it ALL," Aryn ran his fingers through his hair, strands of blond coming out with them.  "Someone go get Sacktwinkled, send her down there to deal with this."

"Hoi, Jools!"  Rackreleased called from across the sands, "You okay doing that?"
Jools dodged a hoof, lopping the Dread Camel's rear left leg off at the knee.  The beast tried to lower it's leg, but with it's balance broken it toppled over, kicking and thrashing.  "Of course, why?"  He called back.
"I'm just askin', what with you bein' the zookeep and all?"
"Well it's easy.  They're not really animals anymore, the poor things."  Jools stepped on the camels neck to hold it down, raising his sword up high.

Rackreleased dodged a sword-swing from one of the goblins, and as he fell backwards he swung his hammer hard.  It caught the green skin in the face, shattering his cheek bone as the dwarf rotated in the fall.  He landed on his stomach and sprung up, watching as the goblin slowly teetered over backwards, dead.  "Yeah?  So you could do that with anything?"
"I don't see why not?"
"Like if Aryn's bear turned into a walkin' corpse, you could bring it down."
Jools thought for a second, his sword still raised.  "Yes, I suppose I could."
"And if all the dogs turned?"
"Of course, that wouldn't be much trouble at all."
"What if all those donkeys got the evil in 'em?"

Jools tensed.  His upper lips curled, and he brought the sword down hard, splitting the camels skull in twain.  "Donkeys could NEVER be evil," he growled.  "Watch your mouth, blaspheming like that!"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:53:06 pm by Heavy Flak »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: December 17, 2008, 03:54:17 am »

I finally finished reading every post!!

I'd be a fool not to request a dwarf in this place.

Name: Fireheart
Profession: Sworddwarf

Story: Fireheart is the former leader of a squad of Sworddwarves who roamed the land killing Undead and Goblins. The rest of the squad was wiped out in battle with a tribe of blood god worshipping goblins in the swamps.

He is against any evil creature, whether it is Undead, Goblin or Dwarf. Religion isn't a big deal as long as its NOT Lenod.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: December 17, 2008, 06:42:21 am »

Somewhere across the ocean, midsummer

The harpy circled over the prone form under the tree. It was hot, dry, and muzzy out that night, but the dwarf below managed to sleep despite the heat. Hungrily, the harpy soared lower, circling in anticipation, until it finally came close. With a triumphant screech, she attacked, talons outstretched.

The screech woke the book-keeper and he awoke with a start to find a set of talons in his face. He grabbed out and punched the harpy in the bread-basket, turning the screech into a gurgle. However, the talons struck home and the book-keeper received a nice, long gash all the way down his torso. Grunting with pain, he pushed the harpy off himself and scrabbled upright with the help of the tree. Wheezing, the harpy backed away and regained her breath. Glacies snatched his backpack up, and the two eyeballed each other warily. Then, with sudden determination, the winged she-devil jumped forward again. The resulting scuffle was unpleasant and bloody for both parties involved, but the book-keeper eventually snapped her neck with a lucky swing.

Gasping for breath, he limped away and leaned against a tree. Wincing, he looked up and saw it was just before sunrise, and a faint line of blue was appearing over the horizon. As he bandaged himself, he watched as the sun slowly rose over the mountains in the distance as the stars slowly winked out.

And then he gave a start. There were mountains in the distance. Dropping to one knee, Glacies uttered a pray to Lenod, and then set off at a jog, ignoring the dead harpy on the ground. He left a small trail of dust rising in his wake.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: December 17, 2008, 04:41:08 pm »

I love how a simple book-keeper not only beats a harpy to death, but then runs off towards some mountains, injuries and all, after having caught only a slight bit of relief.

Sturdy little bastards, those dwarves.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: December 17, 2008, 07:53:29 pm »

simple book-keeper? They use 80 lbs pens made from stone and iron, and they have to scratch the records into the desktop, which usually happens to also be stone. Dwarven book-keepers are kickass things.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: December 17, 2008, 08:27:09 pm »

The events of the 2nd of Sandstone, 1067

Glacies drummed his fingers on the desk, leaning back heavily in his chair.  With a loud sigh he slapped his palm down on the table, and Crowpages jumped in her seat, glaring at him.  "Can't we get this stupid thing on?" Glacies complained.  "I have a show in an hour and I'd REALLY like to test out the play on the lever, ifn' ya' don't mind."

"We can't do that," Aryn snarled. 
"Why the hell not!"
"Because if we start without the Duke, we'll have to stop as soon as he comes in and repeat the whole damned meeting.  No, we're just going to wait for him because I don't want this to take any longer than-"

Aryn jumped as the door slammed open, and the Duke lurched in, white as a sheet and drunk from the near-empty jug of rum he dangled from his hand.  As the members of the council turned to gawk at him, he gaped at them briefly before saying, "Meng's dead..."

The Council gathered in the Temple of Zefon, staring up at Meng's body as it slowly dangled from the rope-reed noose.  Her face was purple, her eyes bulging out of her skull, spit frothed up around her mouth.  Bertrand, ever the image of helpfulness pressed his index and middle fingers to her wrist and tisked quietly, "I'm afraid she's dead."
"I said she was dead!" The Duke blustered.
"Yes," Bertrand said solemly, "But now that I've said it, she can really be dead instead of only through hearsay."

Aryn glared at the body, his lips tightly pressed together.  Crowpages cleared her throat and asked, "Do you think she was depressed?  Why would she kill herself?"
"She didn't," Aryn said quietly, "Look at her wrists."

Crowpages leaned in, looking at the rope-burns in her skin, and sucked her teeth.  Aryn snorted, "This is revenge for a certain Dwarf's punishment.  The nerve, to do it in his own temple... fine, if they want to play these games?  I'll play them."

The next morning, as the Dwarves woke and went about their morning routines, they noticed a new poster tacked up in the hallways.  It was simple, plain parchment with black ink, but the lettering was big and bold, and the tone unmistakable:

RELIGIOUS SERVICES ARE BANNED.  YOUR GODS DO NOT EXIST.  DO NOT PERSECUTE OTHERS WITH YOUR OWN INTOLERANCE. 

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: December 17, 2008, 08:57:22 pm »

Diary of Neo
Date: 3rd of Sandstone, 1067
    I got a real shock today. Aryn (come on, we all know he's the brains behind this) has banned religion. While I am no big fan of any deity, he had the nerve to call it "intolerance". The only friggin' intolerance here is his own. I think he may have overreached himself this time though, I mean think about Stravich's reaction, and Zefon's faithful are many and comprise the fortress's heart in many ways.
    I do not actually believe Kuli had anything to do with it and Aryn's assumption of Kuli's guilt bothers me. Besides, the nobles really are getting out of hand. I've heard Aryn was in arms against them at one point even. Why'd he have to go soft now and take his idiotic rage out on the wrong people. I'll be offering my help to the temples, as this smacks of corruption on the part of the Council. And personally, good riddance to you, dear Duchess Consort. I only wish I could have been the one to string her up myself.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: December 17, 2008, 10:02:46 pm »

I'd like a dwarf

Name: (Dwarf Name)
Job: stoneworker
Backround: (Dwarf Name)'s parents were recent immigrants from diskworld when they filled his birth certificate, and it's been haunting his life sufficently that he became a devotee of zefon because he found hope in a future rebirth where he gets a real name.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: December 18, 2008, 12:31:10 am »

From the journal of Kuli Problemwalled,

Today has been a bewildering whirlwind of events.  To say that I am schocked and outraged would not do justice to how I feel at this moment.  To think that someone would commit a murder in the House of Zefon!  Whatever fiend did this must be twisted indeed, and deserves no better than to be cast out to face the merciless wastes.  It is all happening again, just like that bloodbath with the Queen... no, no I don't want to remember that right now.  I am disturbed enough as it is.

I have to compose myself and think of how to deal with the situation.  Aryn has of course blamed me and the other children of Zefon for the murder.  While that is an outrage in itself, it is not altogether surprising.  With religious services outlawed and the temple closed down, worship services will be difficult to hold.  But hold them we will.  Aryn can punish me all he wants, but he will not oppress my congregation!  In this matter, I will deny him at all costs.  We will secretly gather whenever or wherever we can.  I would sooner give a sermon in Madame Dodik's den of iniquity than not give one at all!  ...Amusingly enough, that may not be such a bad idea after all.  It is the only place with any sort of independence from Aryn's law, and there is a chance that Madame Dodik has enough of a sliver of her faith left to allow us...but, I should certainly not count on it.

My greatest task will be to restrain the anger of my fellow worshippers.  Though I do not like to think it, the murderer could very well be among the children of Zefon, and this oppression could anger some of them enough to react with further violence.  This must not be allowed.  All life is sacred, even the lives of those we might hate!  Peace and unity are now more important than ever.

Gracious Zefon, I apologize for the offense that has been committed against you this day.  I pray that you guide us through these trying times, and help us find the true meaning of rebirth in your Love.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: December 18, 2008, 01:27:35 am »

*Zako has started a mysterious construction!* <--- Yesterday

And heres a post to tide you over:

Zako approached the doors to the temple of Zefon and stood before them, resting his crossbow on his shoulder. Looking over the doors he saw that they were chained shut and sighed knowing that the nobles were somehow involved. He saw Kuli looking at the church behind him and he walked over to him calmly.

"I am sorry for what this is doing to not only you, but others that follow the faith of Zefon."

"It is alright, my son. We will find a way past this setback, with Zefon's grace."

Zako looked around him to check that there was noone near and seeing that there was noone he spoke again:

"Do you know why I worship victory?"

"No I do not, my son. Tell me if you wish."

"I worship victory because I believe that if we are determined enough, and have enough courage to do what's right, then it will come by itself."

Kuli was silent for a while and in this pause Zako continued.

"I want to fight for what is right, and I want to live in a good world, hence why I fight for it. While I am not of your religon, I believe that the ultimate aim for what you wish is in fact, better for the world and everyone in it. What I am asking however is simple, will you fight for it?"

Kuli looked at Zako, straight in the eyes and was silent for a minute before answering;

"I will fight for it if the time comes for that to happen. Zefon wishes that we have peace and replace our hate with love, and by his grace we will do that. Just not at this moment."

They both looked at the temple once more and while gazing upon its structure, Zako murmured to Kuli quietly:

"Do you think that the good world that we envision will have the undead in it?"
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 189