Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 385095 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1245 on: November 07, 2008, 09:18:34 am »

Check out the big brain on Vactor!  Very well put together (and spoilered) explanation.  I'm not allowed to comment on any possible future connections, but let me just say that this story has kind of ballooned into it's own entity, and only the core idea seems to be still in place. 

As an example of what I mean - I fully expected this story to have been finished at the end of what was Chapter One.  Actually, I fully expected it to be finished well before that, because within the first... minute of starting the game we were attacked by giant zombie scorpions and giant zombie leopards.  So, the point of this is, that things have kind of shifted into it's own really screwed up, screaming and flailing monster.  Also, that analogy doesn't work so well but I'm keeping it. 

Groveller: Grov is in (as can be seen above) and I'd like to make a few notes on him.  He has "military parent" in the form of a mother who was in Aryn's guard, but has passed on, his father is an Artifact-Legendary pump worker, and he has no existing injuries at all.   Also, he has a custom title!

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 08, 2008, 12:29:06 am »

From the files of Aryn Estetar
5th of Timber, 1066

I've found it best to stay outside of the public eye.  Much is happening, too much, and to stick my nose in these petty arguments of our work-groups is asking for trouble.  At the best, I'll get a stern lecture from the Fountainspring Fishery workers and their new strong arm leader Rinsesilver.  At the worst, Stravitch will break the damn hinges on my door yet again, ruin a table, and steal a few bottles of good bourbon from my private stash after spending an hour yelling at me. 

And what do these fools do?  They fight over the most petty of things - over the time of a mason.  So they hold their money, big deal, I hold the cards here, and I have the ideas.  I gave them papers, blueprints, a speech, the works, and they're still arguing over Rice's time.  For what?  They're petty projects?  Screw their projects, when Oceanbled is finished, the great Glass and Steel dome, they're asinine designs will be for naught.  Of what use is the Word of God, or the Mouths of Whores, in a society governed by the productive, by the intelligent-elite, by the producers

They can have their fights.  The quarry is almost mined down completely, and as soon as Archin and her crew are finished, I can set to work on construction.  That leads to some interested development... Roland, and Likot, and Sparrow... and perhaps Zako, if he ever learns to handle a boltslinger again, should be stationed above the retaining wall as guardians against outside forces, and as wardens keeping the Dwarves rising steel, setting up glass...

I need another drink, and my stock has run out.  I need to liberate a barrel of bourbon from Dojango, and skip the questions pressed on me by the the Bone Carvers union, and the Engravers Union, and, really, any damn artisan that gets in my way. 

OOC: My laptop is screw up, yet again.  I've filed an RMA with HP, and hopefully it'll be taken care of soon, but that leaves us with a minor delemia.  Playing DF is a huge ordeal now, because at random intervals my computer locks up fully and blue screens, occasionally (like earlier tonight) ruining a months-worth of in game play.  If that doesn't happen, well, it still over heats, and because I'm OCD about some things, I don't like playing DF on a desktop.  This is a laptop only game. 

Anyway, point is, I'll update, but they're going to be angrier because I'll be without my laptop.  And without my laptop, I can't watch my giant-ass HD-TV.  And without that, I can't play Fallout 3.  And without that, well, you've got a very angry gasmask wearing horse... dog, whatever the hell that is, that's my avatar. 

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 08, 2008, 10:38:52 pm »

The events of the 10th of Timber, 1066

Everyone else was really busy.  The miners were working 18 hour days now, one final push to get the bottom of the quarry finished so Roaroak could begin his work.  The masons were busy too, pulled in three directions by screaming leaders.  Even Dojango was busy in the kitchen thanks to Sulari's extended training regiment, and he'd recruited his old friend Akroma to come in and help work the kitchens; though he was better at making a mess and playing with the animal parts than actually making anything edible.

That left Erendor and Mookie as the welcome committee for the Dwarves that trundled up the southern road, and Likot and Sergeant Pepper.  The latter pair refused to leave despite the polite requests from Erendor, and had taken to loitering by one of the gate houses, talking and laughing, much to the stoneworkers discomfort. 

As the first dwarf climbed the incline, the smile fell from Erendor's face.  She had a huge gash across her forehead, and her face was a crimson mask, her armor splattered with blood.  A huge hammer was slung across her back, and she looked travel-weary, extremely tired.  The pair of soldiers, swordsdwarf and axedwarf respectively, looked just as bad, and the laborers that followed behind them looked less wounded but just as tired.

"What happened to you?" Erendor asked, aghast.
"Goblin attack," came the reply.  "They hit us just before we hit the safety of the mountain pass."
"Wait," Mookie said, her little nose crinkling up.  "You were with the traders, that just left?"
"Aye, like a hammer hits an anvil; got smashed by a waiting group of those damned half-breeds and their wizard leader.  Set the wagons ablaze, started slaughtering the animals so we couldn't get away.  I grabbed a weapon and started bashing, and eventually we hit the wastes running."
"Are there more?" Erendor asked.

"No.  I don't know.  Maybe, I don't care.  I could really use some water.  And food.  And water."
"Oh, oh, right, of course, here, ahh, follow me."
"What's with the corpses?  Decoration?" Asked the swordsdwarf, smirking.
"What's with your face?" Sergeant Pepper rumbled, the knuckles of his leather gloves creaking ominously.
"Nothing."
"Wait just a minute then, I can fix that."
"Now now, come on boys," Mookie said cheerfully.  "Come on, I'll fetch you all a big tankard of ale.  My normal area of work is closed for renovations, but that doesn't mean you can't get a sweet talk-job and a gourmet meal."

OOC Stuff:  I had a really funny OOC post made up here, and a great one above, and then my computer locked up yet again.  I almost put a hammer through it, but then I didn't, but that doesn't mean I won't after I have a couple more glasses of bourbon. 

Turns out there was a lot more requests than I thought.  Six of those nine have been met, mostly.  In order to get both the most characters in, and the longest-waiting, I had to cut a few corners.  Those corners were gender.  I tried to match you up with a Dwarf that met your gender (if one was required), but if that was the only thing missing, well, I went ahead and brought them in anyway. 

Flintus, Jotwebe, Pwnzerfaust, I apologize, but hopefully you'll be getting in relatively soon.

For the rest of you?  Welcome... to Migrursut!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 08, 2008, 10:54:12 pm »

lol no problem but It looks like with people coming in again I may not have to wait long             

Keep up the good work as always

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 09, 2008, 03:52:42 am »

Diary of maggarg.
It's hot. It's always hot. I hope all the Armok-damned things that the leaders want to build are ventilation ducts.
Some migrants arrived today. More like refugees, really.
I actually recognised one of them! I reckon he's a cousin of a bloke who used to run a  fort that my great-uncle is in charge of this year.
Must remember to try and press-gang him.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 09, 2008, 12:09:21 pm »

Only one new Zefonist?   :(
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 09, 2008, 12:37:32 pm »

Only one new Zefonist?   :(

I'm disappointed too.  Out of the past three migrant groups, I think this is the only one to have any Zefonists at all.  Lenodites are all the rage the days, since they always have the largest numbers of followers show up.

Just between you and me, I kind of think they're all jerks.  Shh.  Don't tell anyone!

Keifru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 09, 2008, 12:49:01 pm »

I gotta say, it is pretty eerie how Kivish mirrors me.
Except the whole being female part. xD

Huzzah to immigrants!

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 09, 2008, 04:11:52 pm »

10th Timber, 1066

"Bear?" Grov looked up questioningly from the enclosure to the zoo keeper's face.
"No, no. Horse."
They moved on to the cow pen. "Bear?"
"No, it... uh... okay, yeah."
The mule enclosure. "Bear?"
"Uh-huh, well spotted."
Next came the donkeys. "Bear?"
This was simply too much for the poor keeper. "No, they're donkeys. Donkeys!"
Grov looked uncertain for a moment. "Donkeys?" he asked, cautiously.
"That's right, donkeys, well done!"
The child pointed a finger at the beasts. "Donkeys!" he exclaimed, pleased with himself.
"Yes, yes, marvelous creatures, aren't they?"
The pair moved on, the zoo keeper casting several wistful glances backwards, to the giant leopard cage. "Donkeys!" the child said, safe in the knowledge he was getting the hang of it now. "Donkeys! Donkeys!"
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 09, 2008, 04:31:18 pm »

War'dunell Dakostuzol The 10th of Timber, 1066

I am just so excited to try something new, I think I am going to start writing a diary. I'm in luck too, writing implements seem to be in no short supply here.

This place is as beautiful red as I imagined it would be! Though for a while there, I thought I would be wandering in swamps, forests, and mountains forever until I met up with this group saying they were headed to Migrursut.

Migrursut. I had begun to think this place was just a pipe dream, a tall tale told around a good pint of dwarven ale so as to convince others you were deserving of another. C'mon, what kind of place gets to kill so much and still live to tell the tale? Sure, there is the run of the mill goblins that have run us out of so many good earthen homes, but undead scorpions, undead camels, titans, dragons ... tentacle demons! I wonder if I will get to kill anything with my axes, other than trees that is.

I always did like cutting down the hated trees and other things that grasp at my home with roots. What do elves see in the damn things? Give me the red sand any day. Ahh, such a lovely place, everything the color blood. I think I could easily fall in love with this place.

Speaking of love, I wonder if there is anyone here who wants to tug hair after a few drinks, eh? I wonder, does anyone here like to train and toss?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OOC: Actually Heavy Flak, I love not getting exactly what I asked for! It presents a wonderful avenue for a flight of imagination, to see if I can help contribute a female dwarf, when I am a human male. Creative writing is a blast! :) Hmm, I wonder if my character will have a kid or fall in love or end up dead from being stupid and unlucky in Migrursut.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:49:55 am by CanadianWolverine »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 09, 2008, 05:05:13 pm »

Diary of Zako:

Its been awhile since I've done this sort of thing. Well, no time like the present to get back into it!

First, I must confess, Jools unnerves me sometimes, what with his yelling of "DOOOOONNNKEEEEEEEYYYYSSSS!!" all the time. Makes me worry at times for his mental health...

Secondly, the dead are being quite of late. Just watching us, led by the foul fiend Likot. She, and by that I mean it, has made no aggressive moves towards everyone else. Worrying. What is it planning to unleah upon us now... No matter, I will be ready when the time comes, and if it does come, Likot will 'get the point' of my concern. All 20 of them.

Lastly, I am uncertain of what to think of Aryn's plan of what he calls, a 'biodome'. He must have come up with that name by its shape and maybe not its purpose. Building this thing may kill us all by attracting the wrong attention, and what about the dead? Likot and Sgt. Pepper are still here and they know about his plans, so I worry nightly.

I must train harder!

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 09, 2008, 10:53:39 pm »

From the journal of Kuli Problemwalled,

We were honored to welcome the immigrant Eita Wheelsadmired to our congregation today.  We held a small welcoming ceremony before the sermon, and though Eita is a little rough around the edges she has already been accepted whole-heartedly by everyone.

The big news lately, of course, is Aryn's big plan.  A dome of glass and steel surrounding and protecting the fort...It sounds so impractical and extravagant.  Yet, I think I may approve of it.  If Aryn has the resources to do it, and the blueprints are sound, then I think it could be a great boon to Migrursut.  This is a land of much death and suffering, but the protective shell of Oceansbled could guarantee our survival amidst the wastes.  No more goblin invasions, no more Dread Camel incidents.  It is truly a project that promotes life.  As much as I find myself despising Aryn Estetar at times, I can't help but think that he is ultimately a force for good in the world.  Sometimes during my meditations, I recall that night when I received a vision from Zefon that warned me of a plot against Aryn's life, and I wonder then if Zefon has perhaps chosen Aryn as an instrument of her will.  I have not yet decided if I am comfortable with that possibility.  May Zefon's love be with us.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Keifru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 10, 2008, 12:49:10 am »

Property of Kivish Shemtekkud. If found, please return swiftly.
Date: Day of Arrival
For no little amount of time we have been traveling this cloudless, rope reedless, and even cowlessness of the scorching land. Thankfully, following that hammerdwarf proved one of my more fruitful ideas. To bad he wasn't using a bronze sword. Mmmmmm....

This place looks very impressive, I can't wait to view what incredible works of artistry that adorn the stone! Maybe this could be the place where I can finally get my project on a roll...it will revolutionize art as we dwarves know it! But enough of that; someone might find this and steal my work if I write to much. I'm talking to you, person who "found" this and are reading it! *frowny dwarf face is scribbled below the paragraph*

by the way, have you posted info on Litast? I can't seem to recall that god.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:52:00 am by Keifru »

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 10, 2008, 01:42:15 am »

Can I request a dwarf?
Male, don't care profession, name 'Pauly' Stibmer.
(This bad pun brought to you because Zako said 'Biodome' in his post)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 10, 2008, 04:43:24 am »

Oh dear.  I see that my dwarf likes donkeys.  Could be amusing if she goes and starts adopting Glacies' donkeys...
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 189