Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 385130 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Of Glass and Steel (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1155 on: October 19, 2008, 10:59:09 am »

The events of the 6th of Limestone, 1066

Jools stood outside of Aryn's door, drawing pictures of donkeys in his small notebook while he waited for the counsel meeting to finish.  The past thirty minutes had been nothing but a serious of shouts and screams, of curse words so foul they made the zookeeper's - even with his Army Wife - ears burn. 

The door flew open, and Aryn stormed out, his face as red as a tomato.  Turning, he shouted back into the room, "SCREW YOU, GLACIES!  SCREW YOU!"  Grabbing one of the Telamon posters by the corner, Aryn ripped it down and tossed the paper into the room, darting towards the staircase.

The others filed up, The Duke looking oblivious, Wavepaddles bored, and Crowpages looking nervous.  The last to leave the room was Glacies, who looked smug in his new, fresh pressed green tunic.  He tugged his feathered cap to a jaunty angle with just sewn lambskin gloves and made to walk to the mess when Jools said politely, "Excuse me, Mr. Snarledsalves?"

"Ehh?"  Glacies turned to look at the zookeeper, blinking in confusion before recognition hit him.  "Yes.  I am Glacies!"
"...What?"
"Err.  Whaddya' want?"

"Sir, I don't know who else to talk to about this.  It's a matter of grave importance."
"A'right.  Well, what is it?"
"Someone has been cutting hair out of the donkey's tails!"

The look on Glacies face was suitably shocked, and Jools nodded and continued, "They didn't pull the hair out, or anything.  It was cut.  Cut!  It's dastardly, is what it is.  And we need to do something to stop this mistreatment of those wonderful beasts."
"...Ya' think there's money ina' donkey tails?" Glacies asked, stroking his beard.
"I should say so.  Who wouldn't want Donkey Tails?"
"Ya' did ta' right thin' comin' t'me.  We'll have this, ya' know, taken care of right quick.  Dun' say a thin' ta' anyone or word might, ya' know, get out."
"Ohhh, good point.  Right, I'll keep this mum.  Thank you Glacies!  I knew you were the right one to talk to!"
"Tha's what I'm here fer', I think."

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 19, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »

The events of the 13th of Limestone, 1066

Vash opened the door at the back of the church, stepping out into the small courtyard between the Temple of Zefon, and Kuli's inner sanctum.  The Maester had kept this small area meticulously clean, sweeping away sand in the morning and arranging the rocks beside the aqueduct in small, pleasing patterns.  Even now Maester Kuli was working, laying on his stomach on the stones as he plucked the small, brown weeds that threatened to creep through the cracks of the stones in great numbers. 

Clearing his throat, Vash said softly, "Maester Kuli?"
"Yes, Vash?"  Pulling a last weed, Kuli looked over his shoulder at his disciple, "What's wrong?"
"Maester, if..." Vash paused, and wet his lip.  "If you were given the power to... to create things.  To just, have them be, what would you do with it?"
"And why do you ask, Vash?"

Vash felt a pang of guilt, lying to the Maester, "I was speaking with another parishioner in the library.  It started as a... a game of questions, and the last one concerned Bertrand, raising plant life in the sands.  And I haven't, ah, been able to stop thinking of the question.  The chance of selfishness is so high, if you can just make things."
"Well, Vash, it is a very difficult question.  And it's one you should look at in relation to the community as a whole."

Kuli slowly pushed himself up, and stood, brushing dust off his pants.  "It's okay to be selfish occasionally, everyone is.  It's just the nature of Dwarves.  But what's greater, is help the community as a whole.  Your actions may be done to solely benefit you - and that is something undeniable - but if they also help others, the poor, the weak, the mistreated, than you've done a lot of good.  Selfishness isn't always a sin.  Do you understand?"
"Yes... I... think I do.  Thank you, Maester."

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 19, 2008, 03:23:10 pm »

The events of the 15th of Limestone, 1066

Vash sat at his desk, staring at the little sheet of paper he had taken from the pillar.  He'd been staring at it for nearly an hour, the charcoal pencil he held poised just above it starting to cramp his hand.  A few times he'd tried to write something, whatever had popped into his head, but as he pressed the tip to the parchment the idea turned to ash in his head, something stupid - not worth it. 

"All those times as a child - who am I kidding - all those times spent around the beer barrels talking of wishes, of what would be done with immense wealth, and now that I have the option, nothing sounds right," he said, just to hear something in his silent room.

Pushing back from the desk, he stood and paced the small area around his room, his hands locked behind his back.  He stopped when he heard from shouts from the hallway, and moving to the door, he opened it to listen better. 

"What are you DOING down here!"
"Getting something to eat, si-urk!"

Stravitch's mace clanged off the steel breastplate Vatek had taken to wearing all hours of the day, but the guardsman still stumbled backwards, rebounding off a wall before he fell to the ground coughing.  Stravitch stalked into view, glaring from under his bushy eyebrows.  "Eat out at the construction site!  Have one of the masons bring it to you with his stones - but don't leave!"

Shutting his door, Vash hurried over to his desk.  His pencil was a blur over the parchment, scrawling across the back of the paper
Kill Stravitch Fillwhip.  Steel for Steel. 

He quickly placed the steel coin he'd kept in his pocket in the center of the paper, and folded it four ways.  Taking up the candle, he poured wax along the folds, sealing it shut.

That night, he reached the pillars, making sure he wasn't followed.  His sealed letter was stuffed back in the hole, and Vash was off, heading back for his room - and hopefully, soon, a calmer fortress.

The events of the 16th of Limestone, 1066

Rice stopped in front of the gate, carrying a chunk of cinnabar in his thick leather gloves.  He saw Merchants, hardy Dwarves with their wagons and guards trundling towards their fort, and smiled.  Turning to Erandor, he said, "Huzzah!  More trade!  This is your first Dwarven Caravan with us, yes?  You're in for a real treat."

"I suppose I am," Erandor said, "but is there a reason they're coming towards us so fast?"

Blinking, Rice turned to look at the caravan again.  They did seem to be moving at a full march, and a few of the merchants were well ahead of the pack on their mules.  As the animals hit the bridge, one of the Merchants vaulted off the side, sprinting towards them, waving his hands, "RAISE THE GATES!  Hurry!  Raise the gaaaates!"

"What?" Rice said, confused, "Why would we do that?"
"GOBLINS!" the merchant screamed, moving out of the way as the first of the wagons rolled in.  "They're on the march, a whole horde of 'em - bigger'n I've ever seen."
"Oh, no..." Erandor said, trembling, "The half breeds.  They're coming here, too... oh no."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 03:29:14 pm by Heavy Flak »

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: October 19, 2008, 03:50:55 pm »

Oh dip.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: October 19, 2008, 04:23:17 pm »

!!!

Magma is overrated.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 19, 2008, 05:03:13 pm »

I wonder if this will help get migrants...?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 19, 2008, 05:14:46 pm »

Coughing and sputtering, Glacies stumbled up the beach, seawater dripping from his beard. He made his way across the sand leaving a little trail of water and climbed the top of a sand dune before turning to look over the beach.

Then he began swearing.

There was a lot on Glacies' mind. The human ship he'd been on had been attacked by pirates, and now he was washed up on some god-forsaken shore. To make matters worse, he had no idea where he was.

Watching the horizon for some time, he discerned a little flotilla of wooden scraps and dumped supplies.

He looked over the desert stretching far as the eye could see to the west. He looked in his backpack and saw a tiny little waterskin and a couple of smoked fish. He sighed, and began to walk into the wastes.

A few hours later, the sand began to give way to grassy fields. At about midday he reached a glumprong sticking forlornly out of the dirt next to a little pond. Then, after sitting down in the partial shade of the tree, he began to write.

Diary of glacies, date uncertain

"Well this is another fine turn of luck for me. I'm lost on some continent I'm not even sure is the right one, and I've got four fish to tide me over until I get back home.

Ayrn was right, of course. The analytical machine was a bloody stupid idea and as soon as I get to civilisation I'm heading right back there and apologizing to him, in person.

And this stupid moustache won't come off."

Keifru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 19, 2008, 09:56:28 pm »

Keifru cancels sleep: Interesting Plot

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 20, 2008, 03:06:55 am »

Gosh. Wasn't expecting that. An extremely interesting turn of events.

Well, except the goblin bit. Goblins are to be expected if the fortress is showing a bit more wealth.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 20, 2008, 07:00:35 am »

I like where this is going.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 20, 2008, 01:45:36 pm »

OOC

Keifru: You're on the list of names, for whatever good that does people ;)

Jotwebe:  You're on the list too, I'm afraid (though I'm glad you're enjoying the story!).

Neo1096: Oversized Goblin/Ogre half breeds and a wish for the death of arguable the most terrifying and obnoxious Dwarf in existence?  I can't see why we wouldn't get swarmed with warm bodies at the end of the season! 

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 20, 2008, 05:23:49 pm »

Diary of Zako:

After some more investigation when I was taking a break, I found that the dead rising from the sands was always happening here. Its only in the last few seasons that dwarves started to rise as undead monsters...

Is this place causing the once living to rise as mindless creations of a cruel mind? Or is it just a random act by a insane god? Who knows...

Training calls again. Oh, and I haven't had the guts to go talk to Merkil yet, but after this training session, if he has the spare time, I'll go see him about some training tips and other matters...

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 21, 2008, 08:49:51 am »

OOC stuff:

All this doom talk coming from Toady's direction has made the concern start to rise again.  Mostly the concern for this community story.  I know Toady has backed up the DB, but... look, I'm kind of a paranoid.  I hide it relatively well, but I also have an already packed duffle bag full of clothes and canned goods in my closet, and there is either a loaded firearm or a hunting knife hidden in every room of my house just in case

So this sparked an idea, kind of a... make a good thing from a potential bad situation.  After ripping this thread out, I was planning to write a quick script and jack all the in-character story sections and compile them all, book format, into a PDF.  Do a little formatting maybe (but leave the content and my plethora of spelling and grammar errors untouched), and then just put it up for hosting and downloading.  That leaves me with one question though -

Reader-generated story content.  How should it work?  Should I leave it in place, right where it is?  I don't want to leave it out because I quite like the interactions and the "inside the actor's heads" feel it gives off, but moving from a forum format to a "book" format offers some interesting problems. 

So, anyone want to throw out some suggestions?  

Also, an aside: Stravitch and I have been arguing for days, because he doesn't believe Toady and I are super-best friends.  Well, guess what.  we are!  Take that, Stravitch! 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:21:56 pm by Heavy Flak »

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 21, 2008, 03:33:18 pm »

Personally, I'd remove the OOC stuff, either that or get people to re-write things IC.

not sure if there are any "Great Thread - Great Story" replies, but they could be droppped from a more IC version. I think it'd be a great idea.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: October 21, 2008, 04:05:33 pm »

I think the reader generated content adds a lot, so it should go in. You may want to do some editing, though, as I think I saw a few entries where the writer was a bit confused as to what was going on, which makes for some weird entries. Maybe e-mail those sections to the person with what's not quite right in them and have them re-write them?

As for adding them into a book format...maybe something like this?

Main Story Main Story Main Story | Journal
Main Story Main Story Main Story Main Story

etc...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 189