Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)  (Read 72365 times)

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

Gonna be hard to engineer an aquaduct to refill that cistern. It'll be awesome if you can manage it though. Maybe you can find an island with some fresh water.

Edit: Cheating, but using the water tile creating tool and saying the prof created a urine purifying machine could be nice. Or hell, just have your pirates drinking urine. It's nice and salty, so I've heard.

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Dasqoot ]

Fenrir

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

I've been reading valcon! Awesome story!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

Wow. How very fitting. The one-eyed captain. Next will be his hand?
Maybe you can mod in a parrot as vermin, and somehow add it to his preferences. Then he can adopt one (if you catch one or the elves bring it). It will sit on his shoulder. But then again, you would probably have to make a new world for that.

Keep up the good writing!

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

I read somewhere recently that if you use pumps, salt water magically turns into fresh water.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

I guess we'll have to wait for the next update to see how the crew manages to overcome!  

In the mean time, again, if anybody would like to interject anything for their characters, please do so.  I'll post up updated profile pages in a moment so we can all take a stock of the crews morale.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

Diary of Bob Rakelabors, late winter of 1058

I'm even starting to like life aboard this ship.
The deep red color of fresh dwarven blood paints the deck and soothes my nausea caused by the hated sun.
And when the daily sparring sessions end, the evening sun itself turns red and seems to transform the waters of the sea into blood.

When the homely darkness sets in at night, those of us who can walk sit together and drink. And drink. And we curse the captain even when she can hear us. Curse her for the salty fish we have to eat. Curse her for our hardships.
And then we will raise our bottles and praise her for making real dwarves out of us.

Somehow I have been spared somewhat as far as the daily sparring sessions are concerned. I have been told to train with the crossbow. "Have to learn to use this before you even think of trying a ballista", the captain said.

I don't mind, I like bolts.
Maybe if I'd hone my skills in making bolts, I could devise a way to add some extra *demolition* to them. I would have to keep it a secret ofcourse for you never know who to trust these days.

For that purpose, I've been taking some samples of big white bird droppings. It seems that if I treat it right, I can extract ingredients from it for making more powder. I would need charcoal also and dragon bones. Charcoal is not much of a problem if I am discrete. Dragon bones however..

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

10th, Granite, Spring, 1059:

"I'm so sorry."  

"Ugh ..." The Professor responded, his voice raspy and his eyes bloodshot, staring up at the familiar face.  He could barely make out its features, but the voice was female.

"I ... I can't believe I did this to you ... "

A warm hand grasped his shivering and shaking left hand, caressing it.  He closed his eyes and smiled, thinking of his mother, his sisters, and his dreadful goddess and the pestilence coursing through his veins.  

"I ... I love you."  Duncana said, before planting a kiss on his parched lips and leaving him.  

She gently closed the door, sobbing.  She'd been so taken by the combat, the bloodshed, the thought of being a fierce and mighty pirate that she'd forgotten the wellbeing of her mates.  The Professor was a good man.  He was only doing what was best for the ship when he smashed her into the deck.  She'd nearly killed him for no other reason than to please the Captain, and now, without water, he may die anyway.  All because of her.

She was NOT going to let that happen.  She vowed, then and there, sobbing against the bulkheads of the gently rocking docked ship, that even if it cost her her life, she would save this dwarf.

Her neck tingled from the wound he'd given her, a paltry trade.

She'd spent every day since her recovery at his side, telling him stories, whispering in his ear and bringing him food and water.  The water was gone though, again, partially her doing, due to the number of badly wounded dwarves she'd sent sailing across the ship.  

She vowed to save him, no matter the cost.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

Awesome martinuzz =)  The captain is female though, fyi :P

Love the idea of him creating special bolts, too!  He has been bolt crafting, I was surprised to see that he'd managed to make some Bat Ray bolts ...  I didn't even know they had bones!

Fenrir

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

Where are those updated profile pages, valcon?

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

10th Granite, Spring, 1059:  

Kalen and Skipper were tossing ideas back and forth in the captains chambers.  

"Okay, everyone is combat ready except for Horatio and The Professor, eh?"  

"Aye cap, The Professor 'aint doing so hot, but Horatio seems to be in high spirits."

"What of the rest of the crew?"

Skipper read off his notes on the morale and recent developments:

"Good, good," Kalen responded.  

"He seems to have an unhealthy fascination with gull droppings, cap ..."

"Let him do as he pleases, he kills kobolds good."

Skipper continued down the roster:

"My my, we can use that anger.  I'd like to see him lead the landing part when we go to get water, he's our best swordsman."

"Aye cap," Skipper continued:

"Good, good, he's done a fine job making a marksdwarf out of Bob, I'd like him to lead the fire support team for the landing party."

"Aye,"  Skipper nodded, marking in his book:

"We'll need her to build some kind of trough to funnel water down the well once we've found a fresh source.  Take her off military duty, she's to be back in her role as chief carpentry officer.   Can Boucher assist her?"

Skipper responded:

"Excellent, yes, give her a hammer and some nails, we'll need both of them to work swiftly before we're boarded by these bastard locals or more of those fucking kobolds."  Kalen unconsciously touched her new eyepatch, a habit she was quickly developing.

[cont'd]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

Seeing her rub her eyepatch like that, Skipper allowed himself to show some concern.  "How about you, Cap?  You holdin' up a'lright?"

"Forget about me, Skip, we've got work to do.  I need you to be in top shape though, are you having any problems?"

"Chin up, will you?  You aren't dead yet, you know.  You said Q-Tip has recovered, we'll need her to support the landing party."

"Aye, cap, she's got a bit o' a limp, but she'll do fine."

"Very well.  And what of Sigurd, our resident brain damaged viking?  I need his muscle and his axe badly, we'll be a sore group without him at the front lines."

"He's happy as hell cap, I'd bet ye could slice 'is arm of'n he wouldn't even notice."

"Wonderful.  Grab all the combat ready dwarves, get them suited up.

We're going ashore."

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Fenrir

« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

I've got a calm demeanor. I guess that's "a calm demeanor for a viking".

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I've got a calm demeanor. I guess that's "a calm demeanor for a viking".</STRONG>

I love the part about him being willing to compare himself favorably with others.  Viking pride, eh?  =)

Fenrir

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by valcon:
<STRONG>I love the part about him being willing to compare himself favorably with others.  Viking pride, eh?  =)</STRONG>
Aye!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

If you like the bolt idea, it might be wise to designate a small stockpile well ahead. Build it somewhere behind doors and have it accept, for example, only masterwork steel bolts. Then it is easier later on to equip a dwarf with it. (seen the damage done by a masterwork steel bolt it could just as well be high-explosive dum-dum armour piercing etc.)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18