Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)  (Read 72363 times)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »

I REALLY didn't expect to have Kalen end up as captain. You've given me a mighty surprise there, mate!

All in all, I like how she cowed the entire crew into submission.

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Xotes:
<STRONG>I REALLY didn't expect to have Kalen end up as captain. You've given me a mighty surprise there, mate!

All in all, I like how she cowed the entire crew into submission.</STRONG>

Somebody had to do it, and looking at her profile and skills, she's got the biggest balls aboard =)  I'll have another update coming shortly, today.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

This is really cool, I can't wait to read the stories.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

ChaosSonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

i came up with a pretty solid submarine design. However, it relies on certain georgraphical features for farming purposes. I would like to hear more stories from this ship though. It's pretty damn awesome.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

Still 12th, Limestone:

Sigurd stomped down the stairs, his braided beard swinging madly as he moved below decks.

"SIGURD not chop FISH!" he growled under his breath. "Sigurd axe slay Hydra, not   herring!"

Q-Tip, also on her way down, still clutching her bruised bosom, whispered "Aharrr, ye best keep yer trap shut er ye'el git us all strung up, ya mangy oaf..."  

The massive leather-clad dwarf turned slowly towards her, Viking rage in his eyes as he squared off, broad axe slung menacingly over his shoulder.  "Sigurd not talk good, but Sigurd not stupid.  YOU chop fish heads!" He said, bringing his axe off his shoulder just enough to make the already frightened Q-Tip wince away, her cropped hair brushing against the bulkheads.  

"Ach, fine, fine, whatev'r ye say," Q-Tip responded, resigned.  Today was not her day.  "But when Cap'n see's ye screw'n off 'n da galley, it's yer balls on da fish'n hook, not mine!"   Sigurd shrugged off her comments and looked around the belly of the ship, brows furled, confused by the complete lack of oars.  His eyes settled on a fine workshop with a sharpening stone, mere feet away from where Q-Tip would be chopping fish.  

He settled his mass on the workbench and began sharpening his axe, glaring across at Q-Tip as she slowly began the work of gutting and cleaning the massive piles of fish at her feet.  

Skipper ducked under the hatch and came below decks to take stock of the crews morale.  He was shocked to watch as Sigurd, the mighty viking, stopped sharpening his axe and curled up on the work bench, resting his head on the grindstone and falling into a deep slumber.

"Psst!", Q-Tip hissed, still chopping fish, "Look at that oaf, Cap'n's gwinter make fishbait out o' 'im, aye she is."  Skipper didn't doubt it.  Q-Tip recanted her tale of how she'd been hoisted into filling Sigurd's duties.

The First Mate crawled back up the hatch and met Kalen in her office, blandly reporting the way in which her orders had been disobeyed.  

"Sleeping on the grindstone, eh?" Kalen asked, not looking up from her log book.

"Aye.  What'll ye have us do, Cap'n?"

"You said Q-Tip is cutting fish heads?"

"Aye.  Sigurd threatened her."

"Do nothing."  Kalen responded, equally bland.

"Aye, Cap'n?"  

"Aye.  I ordered fish heads to be chopped.  I don't care who does it as long as it's done.   As for sleeping on the grind stone, I've half a mind to throw ALL the beds overboard so the rest o' the crew can learn to be real men like Sigurd.  You see Q-Tip again, you tell her to keep chopping."

"Aye, captain."

Kalen turned to her First Mate, "The caravan comes today, yeah?"  She pointed at their supply log book, "We'll need more booze if we're to keep at sea for a long while.  Make sure to fit as much booze and distillery equipment as you can on board, we can fish for food, but we can't fish for beer."

Skipper turned to leave when he heard a sound he'd hoped he would not hear for quite some time.

Alarm bells.

"SUPPLY CARAVAN!"  Imp shouted down from the crows nest.  

Kalen hopped up and ran on to the main deck, furious.  "YOU BLOODY TWIT, DO NOT RING THAT BELL UNLESS YOU SEE A SHARK OR YOU'VE A CANNON HOLE THROUGH YOUR EMPTY SKULL!"

Imp looked over the railing down at her, geniune concern on his face, "CAP'N!  IT'S AN AMBUSH!"  

Kalen knew.  The goblins had found out where they'd docked, they knew she was preparing to shove off and wanted to make sure she wouldn't be able to harass their budding settlements.  'Sneaky fuckers ...' she mused as she grabbed her sword and prepared to order her men ashore.  

"HOW MANY!" She yelled up to the crows nest.

"HUNDREDS CAP, THOUSANDS"  Imp shouted back, his voice breaking in abject terror.

Kalen scurried up the mast and grabbed the spyglass from Imp's hand, making sure to clobber him in the head with it before putting it to her eye and muttering, "Learn to count ye stupid mongrel."  

Kalen dropped the spyglass to her hip.  It was too late.  She could only watch as the precious supplies they desperately needed were splattered with the blood of her trading acquaintances.

"Sever the gang plank!" she shouted below.  Jaina ran over to the flimsy boards and untied them, hacking furiously with her axe.  

"SHOVE US OFF!"  Came the order booming from above, as if Armok himself had command of the ship.  Skipper ran to the wheel, cranked the rudder about as Horatio and Fishgut Led severed tie lines and unfurled the sails.  Fishgut Led scampered up the mast and swung about the main-stays, unhooking the jib line and riding the swinging beam as it caught the wind.

The captain stared down as she watched her sails unfurling to grab the full might of the wind, her body trembling at the thought of the massive amounts of power quaking below her feet, guidelines twanging as they wrapped taught around the ship, the main mast lurching forward.  Imp was not what to make of the look of calm ecstasy on his Captains face before glancing back to the slaughter below them, horrified by the brutality of the goblin assassins.  

And then, they were off.  

27th Limestone, 1057, at sea.

Beardless Bob rubbed his scarred hairless chin as he surveyed the ships supplies.

"That'll do," he said, grabbing armfuls of gypsum and and a couple of oak logs before heading back to the deck.  Kalen had ordered him to construct a siege workshop in order to defend against future incursions, and he'd had relatively no trouble drawing up the plans and gathering the materials.  The supply caravan that had been ambushed held mostly food and brewing supplies, so after the initial effort of becoming seaborne he found he was quite prepared to create his favorite things, massive weaponry.

Beardless Bob quickly constructed the deck, stopping only to rub his lucky bag of gunpowder between his duties.  

Jaina, Boucher, and Duncana worked to modify the ships railing to accommodate the new weaponry as Kalen walked past, barely allowing herself to glance at their deconstruction, wincing each time a plank was peeled off.  Jaina had crafted many boats in her lifetime, but this one was certainly something special, a masterfully crafted vessel, and soon to be Warship, and she easily empathized with her captains nervous onlooking. Kalen said nothing to the trio as she headed below decks.

Q-Tip, having recovered from her bout of bad luck on the first day, had been getting along quite well with everyone on the ship with the exception of Kalen.  The young wench had been working hard, every day, doing whatever duties were required below decks, but she was beginning to get the feeling Kalen never did anything but fuss over everybody else's shoulders and lead them around blindly.  

'Surely she's going to the galley to drink some more grog or maybe throw some kind of party with her beloved Sigurd' Q-Tip mused, moving quickly to match Kalen's pace.  Kalen disappeared below the hatch and Q-Tip paused a moment so as not to jeopardize her attempt to spy on the captain.  

After pretending to fuss over a pile of ropes, she slowly descended the hatch and headed towards the galley.  

"Hey."  Came a female voice from behind her.  Q-Tip turned, her face obviously betraying her shock to see that Kalen was not swilling grog or partying or lording over anyone.  She was cutting fish heads.

"Take this to the galley, eh?"  Kalen said, matter-of-factly tossing a cleaned bat ray to the bug eyed Q-Tip.

As she slowly climbed down the stairs, Q-Tip began to breathe a huge sigh of relief.  

She was at sea.  The captain was a GOOD captain, a member of a team.  Even Sigurd had stopped threatening her, probably because he'd been to busy enjoying sparring sessions on the deck with Fishgut Led and Horatio.

She adjusted the coils of rope reed rope wrapped tightly around her chest, concealing her cramped bosom.  She grabbed a table at in the galley and joined her companions for a round of grog and an opportunity to share more Pirate tales.

The pirate crew drank into the night, hoisting their glasses in tribute to the wind, the waves, the captain and the beer they were about to drink.  "Yarrrrrrrrrrr, we matey's!"  was the sound that echoed up to the captains chambers as Kalen worked furiously at a map, glad that, for now, her crew was content, and her beautiful ship was safe.  

She had no idea how many sets of eyes were watching her beloved ship as Imp snoozed away in the crow's nest that night.  Nor would she, for some time.  Her sails were filled with more than wind, alas, they were filled with false security.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Fenrir

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by valcon
<STRONG>I've half a mind to throw ALL the beds overboard so the rest o' the crew can learn to be real men like Sigurd.</STRONG>
Who are you calling a man?!

Awesome story!

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

sidew

• Bay Watcher
  • Mighty Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

Awesome story!

Remind me the Aubrey/Maturin saga...

About my preferences, I like the mules because these are stubborn... LOL
And a female with a surname like "Manlantern" is very odd... ^_^

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: sidew ]

"I am Urist Threepwood, mighty engraver!"

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2008, 07:42:00 pm »

Very enjoyable story so far, i like how you narrate and the level of detail in your description, its like a novel with pictures!
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Fenrir

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

*Fenrir taps his foot impatiently.*

When's the next update?! We must have more!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

Thanks guys, I'm really glad you guys are diggin' it.  I was worried because I'm really not very good at this whole writing thing, this is my very first community fortress so I'm still getting used to the playing through stuff and recording it and cataloging it and then reporting it.  You'll probably notice that I switch tense frequently and am probably rife with grammatical and type errors, but as long as it's generally readable I'm pretty satisfied.

Also, as for the pictures, I'm not sure how commonly pictures are used in community forts, but they mean a great deal to me.  Like the thing with Sigurd, being able to actually see that he really did conk out and pass out in the workshop is important to me for some reason, so, unless anybody objects, I'll try to keep coming with the screenshots and whatnot, though, based on how deformed page 2 became, I think I might shrink them down just a tad =).

If anybody would like to interject anything about their characters between the next entries, feel free, write up your own journal entry or what have you, i'll integrate it into the game and the story as best I can!  

I'll put up another update tonight for sure.  <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

Nice writing!
My lucky bag of gunpowder! LOL
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

Yes! More pirate awesomeness.  I'm almost tempted to start an Ocean Fortress and set up a Harbour/Wharf Fortress .. oooooo

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

'Fishgut Led', eh?  Not bad.  And the preference for dwarven rum is a major boost.

However, I have to ask.  Who's that miner in the water?  A casualty of filling in the drydock, or someone who got to test the plank for splinters?  And yes, pictures are very nice to have.  I personally see nothing wrong with the current size, but that's just me.

I am named 'Fishgut' due to my crusade against all watery dwellers.  I have made it my quest in life to empty the sea of every fish and oyster and lobster and shark, either with a net or a sword.   I earned the name from a particularly nasty carp attack where I slashed every last fish to ribbons, and the water was a floating mass of fishguts.

Or maybe that's just a fish tale.  Who can say?

Damn.  Just realized I didn't ask for any swimming skill.  Oh well, at least I can still fish from dry ground.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »

Diary of Bob Rakelabors, 12th of Limestone, 1057

By my mothers beard! This ship is huge!
Crow's nest? You could fit two elephants up there!
Quite a contrast to the cramped contraptions the Demoltion Team made us work in.

The Demolition Team. Hrrrr.
Only one little extra explosion. And it didn't even kill anyone. Except for that cat.
I'll never get that stench out of my nose.

And then? 151 days in prison in that rotten fortress. How in Armoks name could I have known it was the Duke's favourite petty-pussy? Damn retard nobles.
Would have been 200 days had this offer not come by.

So here I am now. I try to keep below deck as much as possible for now. 151 days in prison makes one rather shy the sun. You know what I mean. Man have I been sick when I first stepped outside again.

That captain is a funny guy. He thinks somehow that the Demolition Team is involved with making catapults and ballistas. I could tell him that we are a bit more sophiticated than that. But I doubt he'll understand.
Maybe I get an opportunity one day to show him the meaning of Demolition.
---neuroticly caressing his lucky bag of gunpowder---
For now I'll just go with his orders.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2008, 12:04:00 am »

Kagus, martinuzz, great stuff, I'll definitely work that in =)

Sorry to say this update is taking quite a while, I'm allowing the world to run for a bit so that the ship can start to develop some relationships and I'm also trying to fix a little problem.  I've noticed that it is now 1058 and I've still never been sieged by goblins.

The only thing I can think of that would cause that would be my having never traded nor had a broker calculate my fortress wealth.  So I'm going to see if I can resolve this problem (for great justice) before we continue, but if not, I may revert back to an older save.  

Also, something spiffy while we wait, I recorded a short little movie of waves breaking over the ship, and the general hustle and bustle of life on deck out at sea.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-399-lifeonthepirateshipbellsmaw

Unfortunately it's in the default DF tileset, so the ship looks a bit strange =)  But, there we go for now.  Fear not, more updates a'coming.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18