Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)  (Read 72362 times)

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

Perhaps I, Knifer, am not in great standing with the crew, but if Imp wants revenge, he should be able to have it. However, that's only if it's worth the risk...

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

Imp vs Goblin Leader!

/signed

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2008, 02:33:00 am »

5th Opal, Mid-Winter, 1060:

The Dread Pirate ship Bellsmaw has been a peaceful place for the past months since their fateful encounter with the goblin tribe.

The new crewdwarves are integrating successfully ... for the most part.

Knifer lies bedridden still, his left arm still sporting a nasty swordfish wound.

Kalen had Boucher take a look at it and it's healing swiftly.  The young villager's eyes are bright, but he is a proud young dwarf, defiant.  Kalen has spoken with Skipper about ways to break him.  He seems handy with a blade, constantly twirling a dagger stolen from some kobolds in his good hand.  The lad speaks fluent dwarvish but refuses to speak of his family or life on the island.

The crew wouldn't have known of his status as tribal leader if Tiny hadn't told them.  Knifer is extremely proud and stoic, speaking only when necessary.  During the deliberation process on the prospect of torturing the goblin leader, Knifer briefly walked out of his room, leaning on Tiny to offer to fight him even in his weakened state.  Kalen was impressed but ordered him back to bed;  he'd need weeks of training before being able to take on the goblin pikemaster, not including the months and months of recovery required for his current wound.

Tiny is a bit of an enigma.  The large dwarf stands nearly human tall, towering over even mighty Sigurd, though not as wide ... yet.  He's trained daily with the crew, honing his battle skills and teaching them ancient tribal combat techniques passed down from hut to hut around campfires since the Age of Myth.  He's taken quite a keep liking to the crafting of bone bolts scavenged from the fish Fishgut pulls in daily, crafting masterful and deadly weapons which gain nothing but nods of approval from the marksman Imp.

While Kinfer languishes on his sick bed, Boucher coming to him daily to to shower him with water and some of Horatio's famous 'Bat Ray Suprise', Tiny was already making himself useful around the ship, helping expand the dining room to accommodate the new crewmen.

Within the first weeks of his boarding the ship, the crew noticed something VERY strange about Tiny.

Wherever he went, rain or shine, sleep or battle, work or play, he always carried his lucky charm with him.  This would not be a problem were it not for the grizzly nature of said charm.  No one can explain where he obtained it, and Tiny will not speak of it at all.

Kalen asked him to let it go but nearly had to order the men to subdue him:  He would NOT part with it.

Concerned for the safety of her crew (who knows what nasty vile plague is sitting dormant in that rotted thing?)  Kalen went so far as to have Q-Tip attempt to steal it from him in his sleep.

Mere minutes after taking her mission from Kalen, Q-Tip returned, her eye blue and puffy, shaking her head.  He would not let it go.

Time has passed quickly on the ship, sailing around the coast, harassing goblin merchant vessels and preparing to mete out their vengeance with the utmost fury.

10th Opal, Mid-Winter, 1060:

Imp sits alone in his bunk, his arms crossed behind his head, remembering the the last few months clearly, not letting himself think about the fight tomorrow.

Just after the battle had ended and the ship was made seaworthy, Kalen had met with Imp to discuss the future and his battle with the goblin.

The crew were swaying about on the bow, singing praise and raising their mugs.  Imp stood stoic next to the statue of Beardless Bob, staring out into the sea.  The crew had just agreed to let him fight the goblin leader much to his surprise and excitement.  'Live or die,' Imp promised himself, 'I'll make him fucking pay ...'

"Imp ...", Kalen said, approaching him.  He turned to her, his eyes calm, resolve set in his face.  

"I've agreed to let you fight ... but I know you aren't ready.  He's a pikemaster.  Even stuck in that cage he nearly killed Duncana yesterday, reaching through the bars."  Duncana, overhearing, blushes and takes a swig, trying to forget the embarrassing ordeal.

"I don't care," Imp responded, turning back to the sea.  "I'm GOING to fight him."  Kalen knew.  She knew if she didn't let him do it officially then some time in the night he would sneak below decks and let the disgusting creature out to fight him alone, and she couldn't have that happen under her watch.

"I know ... but, all I'm asking you is to wait," Kalen pleaded, showing a momentary concern for her comrade, a dwarf who had risked his life and shown bravery and daring on the deck throughout the past 2 years at sea.  "How long?" Imp asks, impatiently.  

"Just, please, take this," Kalen responds, reaching behind her to hand him her personal battle hammer.  "Train with it," she says, gently handing it to him, her fingers reluctantly giving up the heavy steel monstrous thing.  "Train with it until you know how to use a blunt object, for he will certainly not wait patiently for you to shoot at him."

"Aye, captain," Skipper replies, taking the hammer into his hands and hoisting it.  "Aye."

Throughout the next 6 months, Imp trained hard, various members of the crew joining him on the sparring deck, wetting the planks with blood daily, hourly, and by the minute.  As Imp's skills grew, he accidentally knocked out Tiny's right kneecap.  Tiny shrugged off the pain and did not ask to rest, but he would not spar again.  Horatio, Fishgut, Jaina, Duncana, Boucher, Sigurd, Q-Tip, and Knifer gave him advice and assisted him in training.

Here is a video of Imp preparing for his battle with the goblin leader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVKG5dtU5I4

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2008, 02:48:00 am »

Awesome.Did he get to spear some goblin meat?

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

The battle has yet to come, mate.  Imp is nearly ready, and the sunrise will bring MUCH BLOOD AND CELEBRATION!  Regardless of who's blood is spilled =)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2008, 03:30:00 am »

Hmm....  A pikemaster can be a very dangerous foe, if he's got his pike with him...  Perhaps we should have a more dwarfly up-close-and-personal fight?  Send in Imp as a wrestler, and remove the pikemaster's weapon of choice?  It'd be a right interesting struggle, it would.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2008, 03:42:00 am »

I actually am of the same mind Kagus, but something about Imp's noble sacrifice does draw to me ...

Okay, I admit that isn't entirely true;  I also don't know how to strip a caged goblin of his weapon.  I tried bribing him, but the unruly jerk wouldn't take cash, and I forgot to bring my PirateMaster Card.  I know, I know ... never leave port without it =(

Any advice?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

Define a dump zone (somewhere that lands on-board, if you want to keep the thing), look at the gobbo's inventory, and mark the pike for dumping.  Someone will come over, take it from him, and toss it off of whatever dumpsite you selected, causing it to thunk harmlessly into the deck, ready for plucking.

Or, you could just throw it over the side.  Whichever you prefer.

EDIT:  Ehh, spelling.  "rhwo" does not mean "throw".

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2008, 04:01:00 am »

Ahh, ok.  I hadn't built the cage yet, just had it sitting in a stockpile, so I wasn't able to perform the above described "jack move" on him.  I think I'll do that and let him and Imp slug it out, fist to face, on the edge of the ship.  I suppose we'll find out if swimming lessons were included in the curriculum at the goblin leader school of business and murder!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2008, 07:46:00 am »

Mmm. Lucky Dwarf chunk.  :D

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2008, 08:47:00 am »

Oh!  since you're taking future applications, can I call the first baby born on the ship (It is bound to happen with the two or three pair of lovers on board)

Name: (Male) Kai /(Female) Ula
Wants to grow up to be: Macedwarf and Galley worker (Cook)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

Keeps getting better and better.
Setting sails for Beyond Quality!

I'm a bit confused here...
Is the beardless kid mine or AlienChickenPie's?

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

I see you're going to make that cowardly goblin put down the pike and fight like a dwarf! This'll be a fight to see.  :D

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Keeps getting better and better.
Setting sails for Beyond Quality!

I'm a bit confused here...
Is the beardless kid mine or AlienChickenPie's?</STRONG>

I'm not sure myself.
Either way, I concede, Let Beardless Bob's spirit live on within her.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Forgive me Alienchickenpie, I totally did not see your post before continuing to rattle off updates, the spirit of Beardless Bob lives within Beardless Binty (I've updated her to sit under Martinuzz name in the roster of the 1st post).

I honestly didn't TRULY make that decision myself:

The kid was running around "VERY UNHAPPY" because her mother, father, and sibling, AND pet had all died at the same time.  Then, she walks up the stairs and I think, "Oh god, she's going to go for a swim ..."

But she just stood by Bob's statue for about half a month before completely calming down.  She also shares some traits with Bob, and was the only member on the crew with a profile note about admiring the siege engines he had crafted, so it just seemed to fit to me that she would be the natural successor to Beardless Bob.  Though to be fair, none can currently control her, I guarantee I will make an effort to Alienchickenpie, othorocksmoms, and Kaelem Gaen active places on the crew list.

On page 1, I've put the list of "FUTURE PIRATES" just under the roster in the first post and will adhere to it stringently in the future, again, I'm sorry, I'm new to this community fortress thing so I have been making mistakes left right and high on center.  

Also, pike or no pike, I have a my suspicions that Imp's bunk will soon be ... unoccupied.  I hope not, he's our only marksdwarf, and a DAMN fine one, but, the will of the crew and the legacy of bob and the good of the story all tell me to stow those thoughts and let the young dwarf have his chance =)

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18