Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)  (Read 72367 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Ahhh. Darkness at last!
Wait... No...Did you.. did you place my coffin... out on the deck?
In the blight of the hated sun?
NOOOOOO!!!! ARRGH!! I...WILL...AVENGE!

But I did go out with a bang!
Permission to board again when an opportunity (or my corpse) rises?</STRONG>

Fear not, my beardless mate, ye lay entombed in the long dark shadow of the crows nest where ye and imp spread death by bolt for so long 'ere yer passing.  The sail and the masts and the bow of the ship ensure that in this one spot on the deck, the sun never lights.  Darkness is yours.

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

Ahhhhh... My spirit rests easy now..
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sidew

• Bay Watcher
  • Mighty Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

So long, Beardless Bob, and RIP.

Jaina raises a mug of ale in his memory.

"I am Urist Threepwood, mighty engraver!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

What's with that new wounded immigrant? Let the martinuzz has him =). I liked his character a lot, maybe he can fix and make fun another fun for you to control ?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

Beardless Bob... now there was a pirate!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2008, 02:55:00 am »

Thanks for all praise mateys!

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

15th Malachite, Mid-Summer, 1059:

As Kalen ended the memorial for their beloved passed mate, some of the crew solemnly headed for the galley to raise grog for their fallen comrade.  

Kalen grabs Jaina's shoulder as she walks by.  

"Do you ...", she begins, haltingly, "think Bob's death was my fault?"  

"No cap," Jaina responds, sincerely, offering a weak smile.  "Bob gave himself, nobody, not even you, could've forced him to do that, and the situation could've turned much worse.  Rigoth and ... what was the other ones name?"

"I don't know ..." Kalen said, shrugging, "Ahh well, let us prepare to continue the journey in search of reven--"

"GYEAAAHHH!" came a tortured wail singing down onto them from above the captains quarters.  Kalen and Jaina locked eyes, their jaws dropping.  "Oh ... oh hell!"  Kalen said, turning her eyes up to the sparring area, seeing a trickle of blood pouring down over the stairs.  "He's ... alive?"

Jaina took off at a sprint, vaulting up the stairs.  

Kalen watched as she sprinted past, the tattoo'd bloody native in her arms, recently passed out again, vomit on his lips.  

"Will he make it?"  Kalen asked, nonplussed.  

"Uh ... we'll see!"  Jaina panted, dropping below decks.

Jaina heads down to the storage deck, Skipper having set up a makeshift bed for the wounded immigrant.  On her way down, she passes Duncana, still wearing her armor and covered in blood, a tortured look on her face.

Jaina suddenly gasps.  In the heat of battle, the long and drawn out affair lasting nearly 2 days fighting wave after wave of goblins, not only had they forgotten about Inod ... they'd neglected Duncana's beloved Professor!  

By the time Jaina is halfway down to the brig, Duncana, sprinting as fast as she can, has already over taken her, heading towards The Professors bunk.

Duncana bursts into the room, drips of water running down her arms, tortured to see The Professor writhing in agony on the bed once again.  'How will he ever forgive me?' she begins to ask herself before locking up the thoughts.  She sets her teeth as she settles in to care for him, believing whole heartedly that he would not survive.  Illness and dispair were written across his face, insanity bubbling up from deep within him.

As the water splashes across his lips and down his throat, his eyes shoot open and lock onto her.  Duncana gasps ... 'perhaps he will survive after all', she thinks. 'No, no, he's lost it ...'  

Much to her suprise, The Professor manages a smile.  He coughs lightly, eyes becoming clear.  

"How'd the fight go?"  he rasps, trying to show strength.  

"Good ... good," Duncana lies to him, unwilling to unsettle his disturbed mind with news of the fate of Bob, one of the professors only friends and someone he had trained in many ways.  

"Ugh," he grunts, twisting uncomfortably on the bed before looking back to Duncana, "My dear," he rasps, his eyes twinkling, "Could ye bring me some mackerel?  I'm could go for a wee bite ..."  he understates, drastically.

Duncana laughs, hugging him.  She is sure he will survive.  She skips out of the room to grab some food, passing through the galley, hearing the songs the crew are singing for their beloved Bob.  

As the sun sets on the ship, Duncana sits with her lover on his sickbed, telling him ... part of the story of the battle with the goblins.  The rest, he will have to find out soon enough.

The Bellsmaw drifts in the open ocean, waves pushing her along, rocking gently, sounds of singing from the galley, praise of Bob's courage, Bouchers gentle sobs and Inod's unconscious moaning drift up into the cool night air as the crew settles back into their beloved ship, tired, but alive.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

25thh Galena, Late Summer, 1059:

The Dread Ship Bellsmaw is at sea.

Kalen is pacing in the cargo hold, her arms crossed, one eye glaring down at the troubled villager.  His wounds are festering, both arms gangrenous and stinking of disease.  

Jaina is attempting to comfort him.  "We need him ... we've only 11 if he passes ...", she says, looking up to Kalen.

"He's already dead, mate, look at his face."

Jaina and Kalen head up to the galley.  "This will run it's course," Kalen says, Jaina offering a nod.  "You okay?"  Kalen asks, feigning concern.

"Aye cap, to be honest, we don't need him.  I just thought you wanted him aboard.  I'd throw him off the plank if I were you."

Kalen laughed, grabbing Jaina around the shoulder and taking her across the deck for some well deserved grog.  The two hearty dwarven ladies listen quietly in the rocking ship to the sounds of crewmembers scurrying above deck, and the horrid moans coming from below.  

A thud rings up, and another cry, dwindling off into the ocean horizon.

"There.  It is over.  See that he's placed at sea.  We'll need to find replacements elsewhere," Kalen says, setting down her mug and heading above deck.

Kalen grabs a bucket and fills it with water, heading for her bunks.  Skipper was wounded recently, sparring with Horatio in the down time after the battle.  

"Well," Kalen says, walking into his room, startling Skipper.  Despite his minor injury, just a spear through the hand, he's cheered up considerably in the recent weeks following the battle.

"Now, we are 11," she continues, bringing the bucket to his lips.  He gulps down the sweet crystal liquid, it's briny origins not entering his mind.  "Have ye a plan to get us reinforced, cap?"

"Aye ... aye I do.  Two fish, one stone!" Kalen chuckles heartily as she heads back out into her quarters.

What she sees when she arrives shocks her to the bone.

"PROFESSOR!"  Kalen bursts out, slapping his freshly healed arm.  He does not wince, grinning broadly.  

"Aye cap, I'm all recovered.  The blessed goddess of blight has not seen fit to call me to her side just yet."

"Well, good, we need you, we're short on crew."

"Aye ... cap?", Professor responds, confused.

Kalen stops, her eye squinting.  He hasn't heard.  

She recants the true tale of the battle, Professors heart sinking as he learns of Bob's death.  

"Yes .. aye," he says, sadly, his eyes perusing the deck.  The goddess of blight was not so forgiving of his sins, after all.  

"Professor, I have need of your navigation skills.  With Bob gone, we've a few problems.  First, we need some loot."

"But, I thought you said we were after revenge?"

"Aye, but we need it ... for bait."  

The Professor nods, knowing not to question her plans.  

"Secondly, we need new crew, and I know just the place to get them."

"Where's that, cap?"  

"Right where we came from.  I need you to chart us a course BACK to that cursed island, but, we need to come at it from the other side.  There is a small bay overlooked by a bluff.  If I recall correctly from the directions we were ambushed from, it should be near the home of the goblins.  Set us a course and have Boucher man the wheel while Skipper recovers, we've much work to do."

"Aye, cap!"  Professor says, saluting briskly before heading out the door, ecstatic to be back on the hunt.

He passes Bob's casket, draped in shadow as the rest of the deck is plunged in sunlight.  He places his hand on the alder box and whispers a prayer to his goddess before heading below to grab his sextant.

1st Limestone, Early Autumn, 1059:  

The island is back in sight, Kalen standing on the crow's nest, spyglass pressed to her one remaining eye.  She drops it to the rail and looks down over the edge to see Imp standing on the bow of the ship.

She'd ceded to Boucher's request of memorializing Beardless Bob further, and allowed a statue of him to be placed at the front of the ship, his beardless face beaming proudly out to sea.  Imp has calmed much recently, settled by the crews obvious devotion to his fallen comrade.  

Kalen smiles down as Imp places his hand on the statues shoulder.  

Pleased to finally have her crew back in order and sailing whole heartedly under her flag, she heads below decks.  Walking towards the galley, she hears wood splintering and a few muffled screams, more thuds and crashes.

"FUCK!  What now?"  Kalen curses as Ducana, Jaina, and Boucher sit at a galley table, chuckling at their concerned captain.

Kalen streams towards the row of bunks, worried that the fragile peace amongst her crew had shattered and she would be forced to solve more problems with squabbling mates.  

Kalen stops and grabs a lantern, preparing to bash heads in order to subdue any fight.  She approaches one of the bunk doors, Sigurds; her worry spreading.  Subduing the mighty viking would be no easy task, and she pities anyone who may have offended him.  She places her hand on the door, hearing more muffled screams and thuds inside the room.

Turning the nob and kicking the door open, lantern held above her head like a club, Kalen storms into the room.

Crash!  The lantern smashes into the ground.  The lady dwarves laughter from the galley lights down the hall and into Kalen's ears, swiftly turning red.

"Hello!",  Sigurd's gravely voice rings out, meekly.  "Hey ..." Q-tip says, blushing, drawing the sheets closer around them.

"BAH!", Kalen snorts, smiling, "Keep it down in 'ere you two, you've nearly capsized us with all that racket."  Kalen backs out of the room and shuts the door softly, turning down the hall to see Jaina, Duncana, and even Boucher burst out in laughter.  Kalen shakes her head, smiling, before heading back up deck.

The crew have healed once again, ready for more adventure.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

17th, Sandstone, Mid-Autumn, 1059:

"Traders!"  Imp's voice rings out down on the deck.  Skipper looks up, scurrying over to the deck rail and sees the traders approaching.  He's still not exactly sure why they need to trade, their holds are full of booze and food, and their mission no longer revolves around plunder and booty, but Kalen demanded it.

Skipper lowers the plank onto the makeshift dock, welcoming the traders aboard.  He glances up to the captains quarters to see Kalen overlooking the operation from the stairs.  His orders are clear and the task is simple.

"Just uh, place your goods right there, we'll be bringing out our ... metal toys, and some stone mechanisms for you, eh?"  Skipper lies, beckoning them aboard.  

The foolish elves do not hesitate though they balk at the monstrous beast of a ship, every plank of wood a mortal offense.  "Fools," Skipper muses as he watches them unload their gaudy trinkets and useless carvings.  

After they have finished, the Elven emmissary approaches him.  

"What then will you heathens be prepared to offer us for our wonderful crafts?"  He asks, disdain tainting his voice.

"Let me see ..." Skipper says, looking cowed, before dropping his logbook and picking up a spear, whirling on the disgusting elf and placing it's sharpened point to the pale beardless neck.  

"Just this."  Skipper says calmly as the rest of the crew approach, armed to the teeth and excited at the prospect of battle.

The elves, no matter how disgusting and slimy and stupid, do know when they are outmatched.

"Ah," The emmissary sighs, his head cocked back away from the tip, "I see.  Boys, let's be on our way, leave your things, they've got us."  He hisses, his eyes squinting around the ship.  

As they depart, Skipper prepares to bring down the plank.  "No, not yet," Kalens voice comes from behind him.  "Good work, but, this is just step one of my plan.  They'll no doubt give our location to the goblins in a day or two and they will be glad to come and try and steal the things we've taken from the elves this day."

"Ohhhh," Skipper responds, impressed.  His trust in the captain has been restored over the past weeks, and her cunning continues to impress him.  

"Now, if everything goes according to my plans, any minute now we should ..."

"CAP!" Imp yells down from the crows nest.

"Ahh yes," Kalen smiles, "right on time."

"What's that captain?" Skipper asks, distracted and perusing their stolen goods.

"Fresh meat."  Kalen responds, moments before Imp makes the call.

The natives poured out towards them, two by two, animals at their heels and rucksacks on their shoulders.  This kobold and goblin infested island was a place meant to be left, and Kalen was gambling on their desire to use her for passage.

She locked the door to the plank, but didn't draw it up.

As the natives approached and lined up on the dock, Kalen whispered over to Fishgut, "Wish we had some way to test them and see who is best ... but we're out of monkeys."

"Aye," Fishgut responds, rubbing his chin.  "Y'know cap'n, I spotted somethin' 'low'n da surf 'afore we left, but we ne'er had time 'te go after 'et.  Avast!"  He says, leading her over to the southern ship rail, "See it?"

"No ..." Kalen responds, confused.

"There ... just below the surface!"

Kalen squints hard trying to overcome the reflective glare of the sun.  THERE!  A swordfish ... no, a skeletal swordfish.  "Aharrr, matey!"  She says, slapping him on the back, "Ye're a cruel, evil, cunning son of a bitch!  Blasted best pirate we've got aboard!"  Fishgut grins, but inside, he's hiding his sadness.  He'd wanted a shot at the fish, himself.  Seem's letting a bunch of lowly villagers have it was quite a waste ... unless the fish won the battle.  Then it would be a worthy opponent.  His heart rose and he followed Kalen back to the plank.

"DO ANY OF YOU SPEAK DWARVEN!"  She yelled out at the assembled mass.  

"Aye ...", one of them responded, "Help us get off this island, the goblins and kobolds are killing us daily, we've got to get off 'ere!"

"Aye, you can come aboard!"  Kalen says, Fishgut suprised by the false sweetness she manages to slick onto them.  

The villager translates and the dock errupts in cheers.  

"HOLD YET!"  Kalen shouts, holding up her hand, her eye intent on the translator.  "Ye've got to prove you'll be worth your salt aboard.  We've a task for you.  Once you complete it, we'll let all 20 of you come on.  There's plenty of food and booze and free passage to the mountainhomes if ye can solve this one minor problem for us, mates," Kalen lied, Fishgut trying to stifle a laugh.

"Go south and kill the swordfish for us so we can leave port safely and we'll let ye aboard!"  Kalen yells out before dissappearing over the edge of the deck.

"Think they'll do it?"  

Fishgut hopes they won't, but assures her they will.

Imp shouts down from above, "They're on the move, cap!"

Kalen scampers up the mast to stand with Imp.  He smiles at her, all animosity drained at her dedicating of their mission to revenge for the fallen mate.  She smiles at him and grabs the spyglass, watching as the 20 odd villagers stride through the surf towards the shallows where the swordfish resides.

Unarmed, the mass of natives surround the fish, one of them grabbing its tail and pulling it on land before they suddenly all pounce on it.  

Kalen chuckles, watching the unholy zombie fish, it's pestilent body writhing under the mass of natives.  Like a large ball of flesh, they roll around in the surf, none wavering.

Ten minutes later, Kalen drops the spyglass.  "Bloody hell ... they're still going ...", she sighs.  "Aye cap!" Imp chuckles, "they'll be fine wrestlers by the time this is over!"

"If it's EVER over!"  Kalen snorts, heading below.  She passes another glance along the beach, sighing as the tumbling ball of flesh continues to roil under the breaking waves.

She heads to her bunk to grab some sleep, certain the number of natives will be greatly reduced by the time she wakes up.

18th, Sandstone, Mid-Autumn, 1059:

Kalen pounds down an entire barrel of booze, wiping her face and yawning.  She dons her eyepatch and hat, heading up the mast, where Imp is waiting.  Not waiting, she notices, sleeping.  Kalen gives him a gentle nudge, startling him.  
"Whoa, hey, i'm awake ... resting my eyes cap ..."

"Aye?" Kalen asks, confused, "How many are dead now?"

Imp, unable to see over the rail in his prone position, has no idea.  Judging by the ferocity of the swordfish, he can only imagine a handful had survived.

"Five?", he responds.

Kalen lifts the eyeglass.

"Bloody fuck.  Well, you were half right.  The ones that survived have become quite good wrestlers.  But your count is off by a bit."  Kalen hands him the eyeglass as he stands.  Imp's jaw drops as his eyes see the exact some sized ball of flesh rolling around in the surf.

"By Armok himself, none of them are dead!"  "Aye," Kalen responds, squinting.  She can see fresh trails of blood, at least something has been accomplished.

"Well, the fish seems to have gotten quite skilled himself ..." Imp pronounces, witness the battle.

Kalen looks up at the rising sun, her mind ticking off the hours in preparation for the coming goblin attack.

"I haven't got time for this shit," she spits, swinging down the ladder and sliding to the deck.

"FISHGUT!" She yells out, her eyes on the battle.  Fishgut comes above deck and puts his arm around her waist.  "Yes, love?"  he whispers sweetly into her ear.

Kalen spins on him and shoves him back, "STOWE IT, save it for the bunks, I need you to go and finish this, those worthless oafs can't even handle that bloody fish."

Fishguts initial dejection melts away as he looks out to see the zombie fish still alive, his heart racing.

"AYE AYE CAP!" he responds briskly, grabbing his sabre.  Kalen's anger fades at his eagerness to do her bidding.  

Kalen smiles as she watches Fishgut stream towards the ball of natives, wading through the surf eagerly.  'Magnificent piratry,' she thinks to herself, fondly.

Fishgut, a smile on his face, clears the last of the waves into the shallows of the bay.

"ARR, out of my way you bloody landlubbers!"  He rings out, peeling off exhausted natives to get to the fish.

Imp stares down with his eyeglass, anticipation mounting.

((movie))
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-419-fishgutdoeswhathedoesbest

In a flash, it's over.  Fishgut wipes zombie guts off his blade, laughing into the surf.

"GRAB THE BEST TWO!" Kalen shouts down from the crow's nest.  Fishgut nods and waves from the bay.  He sheathes his sword and looks for the two least wounded natives and grabs their exhausted bodies by the scruff of the beard.  "Yerr comin' with me mates," he grunts, dragging them through the sand.  

The rest of the natives, too weak to move, cry out and reach their arms towards his back, disappearing into the distance.  

Fishgut shrugs them off.  They've enough problems, no need to fill their holds with worthless dwarven flesh.  The two in his grip cry out and struggle, their minds dazed from the day long battle with the swordfish.

As Fishgut rounds the plank, natives in hand, Kalen unlocks the door, allowing them on board.  Just as Fishgut steps onto the deck with his screaming natives, Kalen is completely unsurprised to hear Imp shout down, "GOBLIIINS!"

She looks up at the cliff wall to see a force of goblins heading for the bay, spears waving above their heads.  The trail of elven goods she's had the crew scatter across the cliffs have brought many new targets, and she calls the crew up to battle.

"This is the revenge we've been seeking, lads!"  Kalen shouts as the crew scurries to pick up their battle gear.  "We do this for BOB!"  The crew cheers out, chanting Bob's name.

As the men assemble on the deck, Kalen hears a thunk behind her.  She spins on her heel, expecting to see an advanced goblin party sneaking up to them.  Instead, she see's a wee dwarven lass, just a baby, has snuck on deck after she left the door unlocked.  

"Bloody hell, throw it overboard!"  Kalen shouts out, pointing at the crying child.  Boucher steps up, mace in hand, and stops her.  "Cap, she's just a lass, let's wait until the battle's over and set her off somewhere, eh?  She surely won't eat much.  T'wont be a trouble, I'm sure."

Kalen meets eye's her up and down, nodding.  She feels a debt to Boucher for being so strong having lost her lover in battle.  "Aye then," Kalen nods, "get her below decks.  Her parent's are likely about to be slaughtered," Kalen says, even as she can hear the tortured cries from the natives on the beach, weakened and vulnerable.

"Should we try and save them, cap?"  Jaina asks, concerned.

"We'll try and give them a fighting chance, lass.  Grab your blades, crew, we've got REVENGE TO FULFILL!"

Boucher disappears below decks holding the young dwarven lassies hand, speaking to her softly, fully aware that Kalen has no intention of saving the girls parents.

Imp, ordered to stay on the crow's nest, watches down below as Kalen leads the pirates into the battle, reveling in every drop of goblin blood spread into the bay.

((movie))
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-420-revengebattle

Imp grins and sighs in relief.  All through out the short battle, his heart rises as Bob's name comes up from the roar, only ever accompanied by anguished goblin screams as they are sliced in half and tossed into the unforgiving waters.  The crew are fiesty pirates now and suffer not even a stubbed toe.

Kalen, down on the shores, halt's their advance after the victory.  A massive party of goblins is forming around the exhausted natives collapsed on the surf, and saving them would certainly mean losses of her own crew.  She thinks of the child on board only a moment before ordering her men back onboard the ship.

"More goblins 'acomin, we've got to get on the ship if  we're to fight them on our terms!"  

The crew rounds about and leaves the shores, the sounds of dying villagers licking at their heels.  

Back on board the ship, Kalen joins Imp to watch the bloody carnage.  She's missed the brunt of the massacre, and Imp looks slightly ill.  She doesn't even glance at the bodies rolling in the surf, caring only for the mass of goblins heading for the ship.  Many, many goblins, she notes, formulating a plan.

'This day may be a bloody affair after all', she thinks, before dropping the spyglass, her plan solidifying in her cunning mind.

"Imp, come with me, I need ye to prepare an ambush."  The two scurry down the deck, Imp following her orders and carefully taking up a position in the shadow of the captains quarters.  Kalen leaves him, confident in his abilities and unwavering loyalty, heading below decks to deliver orders to her crew.

'Which one of ye,' she thinks, looking at her salty dogs, imagining the coming waves of the goblin army, 'will need an alder box before the day is out?'

Kalen barks orders at the men below decks, the only other sound being the whimpering of the poor dwarven child, curled up on Boucher's bed, crying.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

I'll claim the kid if you have no specific plans for her.
Name her "Barnacle" and make her a hammerdwarf once she grows up.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

Another epic battle!
Send them rats to a watery grave!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

Still 18th, Sandstone, Mid-Autumn, 1059:

Kalen is alone on the crows nest watching as the goblin's approach, Imp still at his post preparing for ambush.  Kalen is ticking off numbers in her mind, reeling at the sight as goblins continue to pour down off the cliffs.  'Must be their entire village ...' she thinks, before raising the eyeglass.  

Kalen gasps.

'My blood god,' she thinks, offering up a prayer, 'we set out for revenge, and you've given us an opportunity.  Now, if only we can grasp it ...'

Kalen grins up at the sky.  The blood god has given them a mighty gift this day.

The goblins that killed Beardless Bob have returned, and this time, they've brought every single one of their numbers, including:

Kalen cackles with glee as she swings down the jib lines onto the deck, rolling at the fall and pouncing up, giving Imp a thumbs up as she scurries under the deck hatch.

"Alright LADS, STRAP YERSELVES DOWN, this'll be a fine mess!"

Kalen describes the coming waves to her men, "Must be 20, maybe 25 goblins.  And they've brought a friend!"

The crew are shocked at first, but the shock melts from their faces and their teeth clench.

This is an opportunity to avenge their fallen comrade, good and proper, and to cripple the mongrels entire civilization that took him from them.

Cheers and roars bubble up from below decks, lighting on Imp's trained hunter's ears.  He smiles, crouching, quiver at the ready, preparing for the ambush.

The goblin leader pauses.  He smells something ... something in the air.  He waits, letting a crew of swordsmen pass him, his cruel heart allowing fate to bring them whatever it may before he puts himself in danger.

THWINK ssssssssssssthp, thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap, the constant clinks ring out as the goblin leader watches his spearmen slaughtered on the dock by an invisible adversary.

((movie)) http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-421-impavengeshisfriendbob

Imp cries out in joy as the party of swordsmen keel over and die in the sand, bleeding like stuck marmots, his bolts riddling every part of their bloated corpses.

Imp, out of bolts, ecstatic at his victory, scampers down the deck.

"One wave turned," he yells, laughing as he sprints to get more bolts.

"READY LADS?"  Kalen cheers, drawing up her hammer.  They storm onto the deck, securing the door, watching as another group of goblin swordsmen approach.

Kalen, preparing to open the door and let the blood letting begin, halts as a bolt whizzes over her shoulder.  Imp, the fiesty devil, has not had his fill of revenge, he's back on deck and crouching low, plinking bolts onto the assembled goblin mass standing precariously on the plank

The crew cheer as the goblins melt away under his withering fire.

((movie))
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-422-impatitagain

Seeing the next wave disperse, Kalen prepares to open the door for her lads to finish the fight, when she see's the goblin leader himself, pike in hand, charging across the dock, a massive group of spearmen and bowmen at his heels.

"Shit ..." Kalen says, counting, "too many!"  she shouts, quickly barking out orders.  The crew obey, hurrying below decks.  

Kalen stays on the deck a moment before unlocking the door and hauling off to join her crew.

Panting, she shuts the hatch above her.  "Wait lads," she says, patiently.

The crew, impatient, begin to rustle, "This is cowardly, cap!"  Horatio spits, his blade bloodless and his teeth gritting.  

"Aye, but we're pirates, not royal guards.  Just trust me ...", she cautions, her ear to the deck.

They hear the plank rattle as goblin boots clunk across it.  The sound of the door swinging open, a few cautious steps.

Kalen grins, listening.  THWANK. TWANK TWANK.

The crew, confused, see her laughing and smile.  They know.  They know.  Bob, your vengeance is only a few minutes away, and, should they survive the boarding, they can be as cruel and evil as they see fit.

Hearing the goblins marching around on the deck, shouting confused orders, Kalen waits.  "Hold ... hold ... hold ..."

Blinking her frosty eye, she looks at her crew.  

"Ready?"

"AYE CAPTAIN!"  they roar at her, causing the feet below to stop clanking around, searching for them.

"FOR BOB!!!" comes the cry as the crew streams out on deck.

The day is frought with the glory of battle.  Limbs and heads fly off the ship, the crew losing themselves in the fray, every dwarf and she-dwarf partaking in the slaughter.

In a moment, it's all over.

Still 18th, Sandstone, 1059:

Kalen eyes her beautiful ship, covered in the mire of battle.

Goblin corpses lay everywhere, vomit, blood, discarded weapons.

"ASSEMBLE!"  she makes the familiar call, remembering their first day embarking on the seas.

She counts, 1 by one, as the crew line up.  Everyone is here.  None are wounded.

The blood god has looked down on their battle kindly, this day.

Though the crew are entirely unwounded, the deck is a bloody mess.

Kalen orders the men to begin tossing goblin corpses overboard.  Her eye is alight as she walks over to the plank, pulling the lever and drawing it up.  

"Cut us loose, Skip," she orders, pausing at the door.

At her feet, curled up in a ball in the tiny cage, lies her adversary, spitting and sniveling, cursing her and her crew.

"Some leader you are," she spits into the cage, kicking the bars.  The goblin heaves and thrashes about, trapped.  Kalen laughs, thinking of Bob, imagining the thousands of ways they can torture him.  Looking around, she finds that their traps have captured many more goblins.  Five total, pathetic green globs wiggling about in cages, cursing at them in their foreign tongue.    

Imp stands next to Kalen and looks down on the goblin leader.  "So, he's the one that sent the ambush, eh?"

"Aye, mate.  Aye."

"Well then..." he grins, rubbing his hands together, "we'll need to take our time to decide the best way to deal with him ..."

Kalen nods, turning to Imp.  They lock eyes to eye for just a moment, nodding, compatriots forever.  Kalen has fulfilled her duty as their captain and vengeance is theirs.  Imp, his heart swelling with pride and glory, stifles his cheers and proudly heads up to the crows nest, his mind running through ideas for how to best torture the goblin leader.

Moving from crewdwarf to crewdwarf, Kalen congratulates them all, offering prayers to the blood god.  The men are overjoyed at their victory, each one doing double duty in preparation for their embarking.  

Once the ship is cut free from the dock and they are headed out of the bay, goblin prisoners secured in their hold, Kalen goes to her new soldiers.

One of them was wounded by the swordfish and is sleeping in his new bunk.  Kalen orders another bed placed their to house both of the two native wrestlers.  She brings them food and water, telling them of the journey they are embarking on, gathering oaths of fealty from both male dwarves.  

Having seen them both to their new bunk, she stops at Bouchers shoulder as the dwarven lass drinks a mug of grog, still covered in goblin blood but overjoyed by the slaughter.

"Where's our wee lady?" Kalen asks, respectfully.

"During the fight ... she got into my bunk.  She found the rest of Bob's gunpowder ..."  Boucher winces, smiling just a little.  "She light it off, captain ..."

Kalen looks horrified, expecting to have to clean adolescent dwarven guts off her ship as well as the remaining goblin bits.  

"No, no, cap ... she's fine.  You'll see."

"Since we let her back above deck ... she's in the only place she seems happy ..." Boucher responds, looking up from her grog.  Kalen can see tears forming in her eyes.  This must have something to do with Bob.

Kalen follows her directions and heads up to the deck.  Looking up, she is shocked.

The young dwarf is staring out to sea, holding the statue close to her, shoulders racked with sobs.

Kalen lights up the stairs to the bow of the ship to see the young dwarven girl sobbing hard, grasping the statue tight with all her might.

Kalen walks up behind her, clearing her throat.

The young girl turns, taking her hand off Beardless Bob's stony arm.  Her face is blackened around the edges, and her fledgling beard is blasted off, leaving red cracked skin.  Kalen gasps.  Surely, hair will never grow there again.  'A torturous fate for such a pretty young lady ...', Kalen thinks, wondering where they will be able to offload the young girl.

The girl looks back to the bay that they are sailing out of and begins to cry, hugging the statue.  Kalen realizes she must've seen the bodies of her parents bobbing in the surf.  'Ach,' she thinks, disgusted with herself, 'I can't drop this lass off after taking her from her family ... and letting them die.'  Kalen swallows hard, grabbing the girl by the shoulder.  She kneels down and looks into her blackened face.

The girl is terrified and obviously upset.  She only pauses crying to glare momentarily at the Captain.  Kalen's heart wrenches in her chest.  

"Lass, ye can stay wi' us.  I've ne'er seen a use for children," she continues, awkwardly, not caring if the girl speaks dwarven, "but I'll see that ye' have a safe place amongst our crew."

Standing before her, Kalen peers down at the girl hugging the statue tightly.  

"What's your name, lass?"  

The girl looks confused, before coughing up, "B-B-B-bint-t-y", turning back to the statue, sobbing.

"Ah.  Well lass, we'll call ye' something similar."

Kalen touches her shoulder softly before giving her her new name.

Grabbing the girls hand and pulling her softly from her beloved statue, Kalen leads her below deck to where the crew are knocking back grog and telling tales of the battle.

"CREW!", she says, proudly.  The dwarves turn to her, smiling, Boucher winking at the young lass.

"I'd like to introduce you to the youngest and smallest pirate ye' ever did see."

"Let's have three cheers for BEARDLESS BINTY!"

The room errupted in laughter and applaus, cheers ringing out.  Imp rubs his hand through her trussed locks, pinching her bare pink cheek.  "Aye lass," he says, softly, "welcome aboard."

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »

ALRIGHT FORUM CREW, listen up:

We've got 2 other new mates, besides Beardless Binty.

I have a feeling it'll be a while before anybody wants to claim them so for now I'll have them as galley slaves and sparring dummies, but we've got 2 fresh faces on the ship if anybody wants to join the community fort.

Here are the new crewmembers:

If you're interested, make a post, I'll get you set up.  Give me a name, a profession type (piratey, i'd hope) and weapon preference.  

Also, current crewmembers:

I'd like input on what exactly you'd like to see done to our new captive GOBLIN LEADER in a cage!

We can toss it overboard, make somebody fight it (Goblin Leader vs. Ship Captain would be cool) or something else, if you've got an idea, post it, but, we've got him good and can do with him as we please.

AVAST YE SCURVIES, we're quite the successful pirate ship, and the crew is now 13, 14 counting our wee new pirate, Beardless Binty =)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

Can I join in the fun? I'll take Mosus.  :)

I'll call him Tiny, the Brawler. He doesn't use a weapon, he'd rather tear apart the goblins with his bare hands. Yarr!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

YARR indeed, welcome aboard mate!  Sounds good to me, I'll have you written up for the next update.

One spot open, and for the rest of the current crew:  

I'll post updated profiles in a moment to our brave pirates, I'm sure we'll see lots of "joy in slaughter" as you would expect if you've checked the last couple updates =)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18