Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)  (Read 72370 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Pirates of the Fondled Waters (Community Pirate Ship)
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

Still the 1th, Felsite, Late Spring, 1059:

Skipper watches as Sigurd hauls up the massive anchor, coiling chords of iron chain around his biceps.  Sigurd grunts, pulling, coiling, pulling, coiling pulling, coiling.  He reaches for another length of chain when he suddenly feels a massive blow hit him in the forehead.  He looks up, confused, as the chain uncoils the anchor begins to sink back into the ocean.  

A streaming rope is flying at his face, with a shining 4 pronged hook on the end of it.  It flies over his shoulder and coils around the ships wheel, jerking it to the right, jamming the rudder.  Skipper, shocked, falls back and yells, unsure of what is happening.

"IMP, what's going on?"  Skipper yells up to the crows nest, looking up to see Imp's feet crossed on the edge of the fortified railing.  Imp jolts awake at the yell, dropping his spyglass over the rail which happens to fall directly onto Sigurd's already bruised head.  "Hey?"  Sigurd looks up at the clouds, confused, rubbing his bruised head, wondering why the gods keep throwing things at him.

"CAPTAIN!"  Imp shouts, watching below as streams of rope come aboard the ship like tendrils of a kraken.  "GRAPPLING HOOKS!"  

Kalen bursts out of her quarters, pulling up her boots, eyepatch askew and hat missing, hopping on one foot.  "What's all this racket?"  she yells, clambering across the deck.  Fishgut hops to the door and closes it quickly, but not before Skipper catches sight of him, in the buff.  Skipper thinks back to Kalens early warning to him about keeping his "cannonballs" wrapped up and his heart sinks, covering his face with melancholy until, out of the blue, a grappling hook hits him in the face and knocks the melancholy right out of him.  

Kalen runs to the rails and starts unhooking the grapples, but there are too many.  They aren't boarding them, they're just holding them.  She looks up to see who has dared attack her ship, and sees something horrible.

"Oh my blood god ..."  she whispers, "fucking NATIVES!"

Beardless Bob and Boucher are in their bunks, celebrating the victory of the urine still.  Horatio and The Professor are well watered and fed, but still bedridden.  Skipper is out cold, and Sigurd is confused, but that's quite normal.  

Q-Tip, Jaina, and Duncana come to the deck to see what's happening, horrified by all the yelling.

"Grab the grapples and toss them overboard!  Jaina, pull Skipper off the wheel and set the rudder, we've got to get out of here!"

Q-Tip and Duncana run to the rail to help Kalen throw off the grapples, Q-Tip asking, "What the hell do they want, cap?"

"They want to get on the ship!"  Kalen says, running from hook to hook.  Q-Tip, running along, "They can't, we put the plank do--"

Another plank falls on the railing right where Q-Tip is standing, knocking her backwards onto the deck.  "Oh," Q-Tip mutters, as she stares up at the oddly engraved wooden plank.

A tan slim dwarf in a loincloth jumps over the plank, landing directly on Q-Tip's face.  "AIAIAIAIAIA!!!" comes the battlecry as the natives attempt to stream on board.  

"MRRFF", Q-Tip yells, a mass of native villager covering her mouth.  She feels herself suffocating under the weight when she hears Sigurd give a mighty roar and plow into the native, shoving him off of Q-Tip.  Another native jumps on Sigurds back, the viking grabbing the first, the three spinning around screaming until Sigurd tumbles down the stairs into the galley, natives still pinned to him.

Duncana and Kalen grab the plank quickly and toss it back, sending natives streaming off to the sides and into the waters.  

"Get us the HELL out of here!" Kalen yells, rushing over to one of the ballistas and pulling off the cover.  The chanting natives gather on the dock, preparing to lower another plank.  Kalen wastes no time attempting to disperse them as the crew unties the rest of the lines.

Before firing, Kalen hesitates.  Not for concern about the villagers the mighty ballista is pointed at, but because she remembers that Beardless Bob crafted these ballistas, and she remembers vividly the explosion of the urine still just moments earlier.  

"Bah," she grunts, cranking the line taught, before releasing a tree-trunk sized  bolt into the chanting crowd.

Ssssssssszzzzzz the bolt tears out of the ship, streaming towards the natives.

"AIAIAIAIAIAIA --erp" *SPLAT* comes the sound of a native being plugged in the chest by the mighty bolt, disintegrating him.  

Jaina winces at the carnage as Kalen cackles with glee, yelling "BRING ME ANOTHER!"

Bob rushes up the deck, half dressed, "WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE?" He yells, confused, pointing down the stairs at the two oddly clothed natives pulling on Sigurd's beard as the musclebound viking rolls around trying to shake them off.

Seeing Kalen beckoning for ammunition, Bob hoists over another bolt, laying it on the ballista.  He looks out into the churning, yelling mass of natives.  "You're not going to ..."  he starts to ask, before Kalen cuts him off.

"Yes I am!" She responds, loosing another bolt, her eye twinkling.

Bob covers his eyes and looks away, and Kalen lets out a yell, this time, not in joy, but in shock.  "NO!"  She yells, her eye no longer on the natives, not caring where the bolt landed or if it hit it's mark.  

As the dread ship Bellsmaw pulls away from port leaving death and destruction in her wake, Kalen crawls along the deck to see the twisted and mutilated corpse of her pet cat.  

"Oohhhhhhh no!"  she wails, scooping the furry pulp up and holding it tight.  Her heart pumps and she feels the familiar sense of loss, familiar with everything she grows to love being taken from her.  She unconsciously looks up to see Fishgut unfurling sails above her before glancing away and shaking her head.  She places the cat's corpse on the deck, promising to give it a proper send off at sea, later.  For now, she's still in high spirits due to her resent conquests, at sea, on land, and in her chambers ... but there is much work to be done.

Bob, sensing that he might be blamed for this, quickly scampers off down the deck to try and help Sigurd get the natives subdued.

Sigurd has finally got to his feet and he looks up to see Bob coming down the stairs.  He's holding each of the blabbering natives by the scruff of their necks.  "Hi Bob", Sigurd says, cheerfully, as he casually smashes the two dwarves heads together, knocking them out.  Sigurd drops them to the deck before straightening his braided beard, saying "Sigurd head hurt," and sullenly walking towards the galley to get some grog.

Bob takes a look at their new captives.  They certainly can't ransom them, but, no point in killing them yet.  He binds their hands and feet and drags them up onto the deck of the ship.

Kalen takes stock of the situation once she is certain that they are safely out of port and at sea.  She calls the entire crew to the deck, asking Duncana and Boucher to bring The Professor and Horatio up for a moment, promising to let them return below decks after they've had a discussion.  

The two natives are tied to the main masts, their mouths gagged.  They struggle against the ropes, mumbling in some muffled undecipherable language.

Kalen walks up and down the deck before addressing the crew.

"Crew.  We have a decision to make."  

"Imp said he's watched one of these two fire a crossbow from ashore, so they may have some valuable weapon skills.  We only have two options in this situation though."

Kalen points at the lever leading to the plank of pirate justice.  "Either they go for a walk," she says, before looking back to the crew, "or we've got two galley slaves."

"Now I may be the captain of this ship, but I know we're fast becoming a team, and as such, I've decided to allow you all to vote.  You may abstain from voting if you choose, but in the end, we will tally the votes and decide what to do with the natives.  One way or another, it's up to you."

The Professor, ever the conversationalist, interjects, "Can they even be trained to work with us?  We don't speak their language ..."  Jaina steps forward, "Actually ... I can understand some of it.  It's just dwarvish with a hint of kobold, and my family made me learn kobold when I was in carpentry school so that I could make signs to ward them off.  I can translate, but, I may get it wrong some times."

"There you go," Kalen said, shrugging, "It's up to you.  I'll be in my quarters, let me know when you've decided."

[ March 09, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

Rigoth is a marksman, Inod is a carpenter:  Let me know what you think we should do, crewmen!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:

BTW.. human waste? Don't you mean dwarven

err, oops, fixed ^_^  let's just pretend that never happened ...

As for the fortress, I'm going to wait for a bit and see if we can get some peoples opinions on what to do with these two little bastards who snuck on board.  Either we can have ourselves two new crewman, or ONE new crewman, or none, it doesn't matter to me.  It's up to you guys.

**Edit, are these movie links I'm adding working for you guys?  I sent one to a friend and he said it crashed, but he's using some weird browser so I can't tell, they work for me though.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »

Still bedridden?!?  Ouch.  At least I help save the day "figuratively".

My vote is slave labor for the 2 natives.  Better yet, how bout only letting one stay.  Make em fight for it!

Retro

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Retro42:
<STRONG>Still bedridden?!?  Ouch.  At least I help save the day "figuratively".

My vote is slave labor for the 2 natives.  Better yet, how bout only letting one stay.  Make em fight for it!

Retro</STRONG>

I'd just be glad Prof is alive if I were you, I wasn't exaggerating how close to death he was when Duncana finally got him some damn water.  We're talking a few seconds here, it was tense!

Also, I love the idea about letting them earn their freedom through a fight.  We've still got a wolf and some macaques caged, we could have some monkey fights on the deck.  Don't forget about the plank though :P

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

It kinda sounded like it was close...  Hope I heal soon.

Hmmm....I forgot about the plank.  I'm on the fence here, what about a rite of passage?  Send them both into the wild to kill some undead fish.  Whoever lives longer is our new deckhand.  The loser is forced to walk the plank or left stranded on an island.

Retro

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

Yeah! Make them scurvy dogs fight for freedom. Give them both something sharp and no armor to spar with. First to be bedridden will be put to the plank.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »

Only one can survive. And for the survivor...Kalen has to make him the next Dread Pirate Roberts. Then we can have lots of "Good night, Rigoth. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

quote:

BWAHAHAHAHAA!  Well I'll be a sea monkey's uncle, Led's a real pirate, plundering booty and all!  

Ne'er thought that he'd live up to much more than just the fishboy on this ship.  I guess picking a food-related profession is a good tactic, especially with a little swordplay thrown in to the mix.  

I say use the natives as training dummies, and feed the scraps to the fish.  If one manages to beat a crewmember in battle, he can stay.

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2008, 11:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>

BWAHAHAHAHAA!  Well I'll be a sea monkey's uncle, Led's a real pirate, plundering booty and all!  

Ne'er thought that he'd live up to much more than just the fishboy on this ship.  I guess picking a food-related profession is a good tactic, especially with a little swordplay thrown in to the mix.  

I say use the natives as training dummies, and feed the scraps to the fish.  If one manages to beat a crewmember in battle, he can stay.</STRONG>

I was really surprised by how well he handled the swordfish, I'd faced one before during the construction of the ship, and, well, let's just say that it had quite a looooooong name by the time a group of 6 or so guys managed to take it down, he took that thing out with just a bare scratch on the thumb.  I'm tellin' you, he's going places.  

Okay so, we have many votes for combat-related testing.

Should one or both of them survive, I suppose we can take on a new forum crew member, but, I'll have to see, they might both die and I don't want to offer a spot prematurely =/  

I'm sure Kalen can find some way or another to adequately put them to a dangerous test =)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2008, 04:13:00 am »

Yes, trial by fire, I like it.  On a side note, the part with the Waterwell made me think of two things, one obvious, one mayboe not so obvious first... "OMG! They combined to make the Dwarven Kevin Costner (hehe Water World)"  and "*sing-talking*It's piss, Its piss with ink!"  

Anyways, the story is rockin, and I again say TRIAL BY FIRE!!!!!!

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Kaelem Gaen ]

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2008, 07:53:00 am »

Well, as (figurative) captain of this ship, I'd go with a trial by fire as well. But, at least give 'em BOTH a chance at staying. You ain't that guy from SAW, right? You can give both of them at least a chance at surviving, right?

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »

Journal of Skipper

1059, Late spring, Second or third of Felsite? Hell i don't know and i really don't care anymore!

I don't know what Kalen sees in that Led... and i don't mean her remaining eye is going blind. She doesn't realize how important i am here! I'd doubt if half of these fools could even read a stock report letalone record one! No im not the best fighter, or the best cook, or the best looking, but i sure as hell keep this ship in order. Without me, this ship would be in complete anarchy! How can Kalen not realize this? Why wont she look at me the way she looks at Led... Maybe if Led was out of the picture... No, thats crazy, i could never..

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

Wooo, Pirates! Didn't think you could do that in this game... Then again, after I built that room's walls out of water...

I'm gonna try this, soon as I see how it all turns out. Then I can learn.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

I hate to bump this without a proper update, but I wanted to say that I haven't given up, I've just had about 2 hours of sleep last night due to illness and find that if I try and play dwarf fortress while cranky I will end up throwing a tantrum and screwing the whole thing up, but I will be continuing tomorrow, and I'm sure many monkey knife-fights will ensue.  YARR!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18