Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Ulengoddom : The First Dwarven Democracy.  (Read 14086 times)

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ulengoddom : The First Dwarven Democracy.
« on: March 14, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »

After my most recent fort went down in a spiral of flames, tantrums, and skeletal whales I've decided that it might be a good idea to take a break from the more difficult sites and instead try a more peaceful community fortress.

This place looks pretty nice to me. Don't you think?

However, since we ARE playing with such a bland site, I feel that not having some restrictions would make this fortress too easy. Thusly:

1. Every dwarf must have a social/noble skill of at least novice level. Migrants will take turns as bookeeper/manager/broker, the initial seven must start with this.
2. Every dwarf will be removed from all jobs but health care during a season of their choice. The default "off" season is winter. Military dwarves are exempt from this.
3. Every year on the first of Granite every player with an active dwarf will be able to put a vote on how the fotress is to be developed. The Chief Executive (Expedition Leader/Mayor) is the moderator and does not get a vote. The voting window will be open for 24hours. Starting from when I post stating that the new year has started.
3a. If a moderator does not post within the 24 hour period then I will post a new vote.
3b. In the case of a tie vote, the moderator breaks ties.

The current development option up for vote is:
What sort of fortress should Ulengoddom be?
Options:
1. Tower: Build high into the sky. This will require a lot of masonry.
2. Surface fotress. Dig only to get stone for construction. No more. Every farm is on the surface.
3. Shallow fortress. Search the upper layers for Hematite/Magnetite/Liganite and Coal/Ligate. Don't build more than 4 z-levels down.
4. Gem/precious metal fotress. Dig deep hunting out rare gems and underground tetrahedrite viens. Build milions of gold/platinum crafts and attract more immigrants that we know what to do with.

All right, now we need to initial seven. As well as what they bring. Any extra points I will allocate. Try not to spend too much, ~300 gold per dwarf is close to an even division of goods.

For myself.

Reg "Wayfarer" Sezukkubuk, Chief Executive (For year 0).
(Glove Wayfarer Slappedlances. That's an awesome name!)

Persuader
Judge of Intent
Appraiser
Skilled Building Designer
(No skill Mason)

Items brought:
x2 War Dog
x21 Turtle
x21 Dwarven Beer
x1 Wax Opal (Her favorite gem)

Resting Season: Summer

So, let's do it. Ulengoddom needs a group of robust and brave dwarves to create the first true dwarven democratic utopia. (or lack thearof)

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Doombringer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Ulengoddom : The First Dwarven Democracy.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

Hollywars Rageanus please.
Miner, or Mechanic if that can't be done.

Vote 4.

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: Doombringer ]

''ve always envisioned you as the lead singer of Torah Tragedy, the heavy metal band.

CrushU

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

Carin (you pick last name, or random. Nothing awful if you pick it. :P)
Competent Metalsmith, Competent Record Keeper, Competent Wrestler, Novice Armor User
Bring 6 Wine, 6 Ale, a cat, and some venison.  :D Leftover money please go to iron or its ore.

Voting 3.

Resting in Winter. (Or set him to military during winter. Either one)

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

Current Dwarves:
Limul "Carin" Ensebnish
Proficient Wrestler, Metalsmith, Competent Record Keeper
Active Duty: Winter

Melbil "Hollywars Rageanus" Edosmorul
Proficient Miner, Competent Mechanic, Intimidator
Season off: Winter

Dodok "VeryInky" Eturuvar
Skilled Weaponsmith, Proficient Axedwarf, Novice Armor User

Kib "Bearded Sack" Zonmis
Novice Wood Cutter, Carpenter, Conversationalist, Competant Axedwarf, Wrestler

Inod "Jalek" Athelanam
Proficiant HammerDwarf, Competent Shield User, Flatterer

Thikut "Disuth" Athelanam
Novice Wood Cutter, Novice Carpenter, Skilled Judge of Intent,Proficient Axedwarf

VOTES:
x1 Shallow fort
x3 Deep fort
MAJORITY VOTE HAS BEEN REACHED! (Reg leans toward a Deep fortress or a Tower)

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

Ill take a dwarf.

How bout...'Bearded Sack', Axedwarf, wrestler, and whatever peon task you need to run the fortress when Im not killin stuff.  I dont need to bring anything other than my axe and some beer.

And I vote 4.

Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

This sounds like a pretty cool idea, and I'll be interested to see how it develops. Might join in later, too.
Two things, though -
- please crop the extra black space from your images, or take the screenshots in windowed mode so that it doesn't appear in the first place. It's ugly and makes the thread harder to read.
- Voting window "until the end of the page" sounds like a potential problem. In particular, it means that if the vote starts with a page already mostly full, only a few people get votes, and once you have more participants than posts per page, someone is always going to get left out. Wouldn't it make more sense to make the voting window 1 day or something?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »

I suppose 1 day could work as well as any other method. The "end of page" was under the assumption I would start votes at the beginning of a page anyway. However I forgot that different people can have a different number of posts per page anyway... so...

About the black space: I can crop if from further screenshots if you like, however it's a good bit of work already just to port the number of screenshots I intend to post and I really don't see how it looks bad. The black blends in nicely with the background of the forums (or nearly). Part of the problem is the graphics/tileset set I'm using. Either way, I'd rather not have to crop those unless I absolutly must. It's not like it's streaching the page or anything... Also, you do NOT want me taking screenies in windowed mode. End of story.

The remaining dwarves are female. We are still in need of a planeter/brewer.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

15th Obsidian.

Reg Sezukkubuk quietly snuck though the halls of Nekutfarash, her heart racing as she heard the steady marching of the imperial soldiers though the levels below. Their iron boots ringing softly against the smoothed stone. Her old rival, Count Dastot, was certainly looking for her. The two of them had long bickered and argued over policy and now that Reg had finally been voted out of office she knew that time was short before the old vindictive count would throw her into the military to spar against the most battle-hardened without any armor or weapons.

Reg had other ideas.

Reaching the upper levels she slowly opened the door to the workshop level, silvery shafts of moonlight filtering down though the grates that had been masterfully worked into the cieling and glittering off the masterfully made iron tools. Far in the distance she could hear the ringing of the smiths' hammers on their anvils, echoing in the vast hallway. With a wayward glance Reg slowly worked he way around the small stockpiles that say outside the workshops. Around her the neatly stacked piles of food, wood, stone, and bones seemed to mock her as she approached the central platform of the area.

The depot was cluttered with goods of all sorts, piled quickly and haphazardly amongst the empty wagons of the Traders. As Reg approached she was able to hear the soft snores of the Merchants, resting in the narrow cots that had been placed in their beds by the Count's men. Their animals slowly swaying and braying softly under the yokes of the wagons. Under her breath Reg snorted, "The foreign merchants are treated better than some of our own citizens. Curse that Noble and his Tax Collector." Unstrapping her heavy pack, Reg tossed it into the driver's seat of the wagon before kicking out the wedges that held the wheels in place before jumping into the drivers seat of the wagon, snapping the reins smartly. "Giddyup! Move it you lazy beasts!"

The wagon lurched suddenly as the two half-asleep animals jumped awake, startled by the loud noise and the sudden motion. Reg swayed in her seat as the wagon lurched forward, nearly flying to the smooth paved road as the wagon launched down the narrow ramp that led to the trade depot. Immediatly there were cries behind her as the merchants woke up, the gaurds reaching for their weapons. But they were too late, Reg had already crossed the bridge and was hurtling down the road at full speed. The animals showing now sign of slowing.

Obsidian 16th

The sun shone down gently on Carin Ensebnish as he watched his small black cat chase a yellow butterly over the small hillock. His sandy eyes wearily drifting from the cat to the dirt road and back again. The cat was stubborn, refusing any food he offered in favor of the myrid of small insects around. In the small bolt-hole behind him he could here the five others who, like him, had left Nekutfarash out of disgust at the Counts new mayor. A dwarf who was as much in his pocket as the man's cosort. Each of the six had left seperatly, carrying only what they could steal from the fotresses main stores. Few of the six truely had known each other, but none had enjoyed their time under the Count and his retinue. And now, with the fiercest opponent to the nobility gone, they had all been forced to flee or face execution and persecution as members of the unions that had opposed the Count's wishes.

Carin snapped to attention when he heard a rattling. The sound of a wagon cluttering over the hard-packed road. In the time it took for him to hide himself amongst the rocks and boulders around the wagon had crested the nearby hill. Quite suddenly his craigy face broke into a wide grin.

"Reg, You're alive!" He shouted, jumping from his hiding place and running down the side of the road.

With a grin Reg reigned in the animals, her worry-lined face blossoming into a broad smile as she spotted the male dwarf's familier face.  "Yes, I'm alive." She shouted, standing quickly, "Tell the other's it's time to go. The fortress guard can't be far behind me. We need to leave the region."

Carin's smile faded quickly, his eyes filling with worry, "So soon? But where will we go? We havn't picked a site yet Reg."

The stern woman didn't let her smile drop, instead nodding to the weary dwarf, "We can decide as we travel. For now we need to leave while we still have a wagon. Besides, I have map that I stole from Dastot's office before I left that seems to have the perfect place on it. We can look over it on the road. Now go, hurry!"

With that, Carin stumbled backwards towards the small bolt-hole that he and the others had so painstakingly constructed. Snatching up the small black cat as he passed. The die was cast, or so it seemed, and there was nothing but the road ahead.

--
End prologue.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »

I'll take one, name me Jayfrin, make me Male and make me a metalsmith/blakcsmith/weaponsmith/armourer, and gem cutter/setter,

I'll take First immigrant and make sure I get a kitty

Just remember kitty   :)

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Jayfrin ]

My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

Oh and also I vote deep, and if their are too many smiths, then make me a furnace operator instead with the gem cutting/setting.
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

Jayfrin, the two remaining dwarves are female, unfortunatly. Do you want to wait for an immigrant?

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

Wow...my dwarf has a stunningly similar personality to me in real life.  Well...other than needing alcohol to get through the day...but he IS my *dwarf* alter-ego afterall, so that is understandable.  haha
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 12:04:00 am »

Ill take the last female, Jalek, proficient hammerdwarf and novice shield user.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 12:04:00 am »

Gah I'm so tired of getting females, I will take a migrant then but the first male that coems convert him :P

Thanks  :)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 12:09:00 am »

I'll grab one of the wimmenz.

Name her: Disuth
Judge of Intent/Axedwarf.
Please militarize and make sheriff.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5