Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dumb question.  (Read 1070 times)

Nightflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumb question.
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »

I'm completely new to modding DF. The entity_default file looks simple, and looking at the guide(outdated) on the wiki, it also looks simple.

Heres my problem, I tried adding a second race to the EVIL area of entity_default, bascially goblins but larger and under a different name.

I generated a new world and went adventuring looking for them in their prefered location (dark forts), but didnt find any there, while clearing about half a fortress until i got nailed by a bowman.

I basically copy pasted and modified the goblin entry in entity_default and added a new creature to match the new race(copy of goblin creature, modified some).

I'm doing something wrong somewhere and dont know where. Any help understanding where im failing would be appreciated.

My intent is two evil races that visit each other and attack dwarves.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb question.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:05:00 am »

I have tried that as well, and failed.

I'm much better with creature and reaction modding, but I am curious to figure out how to make more war.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

I've tried something similar. Seems that there can't be more than one Evil race.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

I haven't tried adding a second evil race, myself, but try adding [ADVENTURE_TIER:4] and [INDIV_PLAYABLE].  This will allow you to choose a starting civilization in Adventure Mode as your new race.  You can then see specifically where your race has settled; if it still isn't available, it's possible you just really can't have more than one evil entity. Exporting world gen info and looking at the civs should also help.
Derp.

Nightflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

Thanks for the responses  :) will try those today.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

First, it's INDIV_CONTROLLABLE.

Second, any two races sharing the same site type and biome selection will conflict, blocking each other's colonization attempts.

Third, from your description, I kinda have the impression you copied the entity entry and only modified the creature.

If you left ENTITY:EVIL of the goblins intact, your race will not spawn, or the goblins will not.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>First, it's INDIV_CONTROLLABLE.</STRONG>

Ah, crap. My bad; I'm at work, and couldn't remember the proper tag name.

quote:
<STRONG>Second, any two races sharing the same site type and biome selection will conflict, blocking each other's colonization attempts.</STRONG>

Conflict as in "error, only one will be spawned/create settlements and the other just won't," or conflict as in "fight to the death?"

quote:
<STRONG>Third, from your description, I kinda have the impression you copied the entity entry and only modified the creature.

If you left ENTITY:EVIL of the goblins intact, your race will not spawn, or the goblins will not.</STRONG>

What are all the different ENTITY types? Are they simply labels or do they imply a certain behavior set?

Derp.

Nightflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

thanks sean, thats helps me alot, i had two [ENTITY: EVIL] blocks, which probably explains why i only saw goblins.

Nightflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

going through the wiki i can only seem to find the original five entity types, elves/humans/gobbos/dwarves/kobolds.

:(

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »

[ENTITY:EVIL] is just what it uses to refer to it, like [CREATURE :DWARF] or [CREATURE :DOG]. It can be anything that isn't the same as another thing of the same category. You could put [ENTITY :DEVIL] or [ENTITY:MEAN] or [ENTITY :DEMONIC] or anything you wanted. It's just a word it uses for reference.

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »

Smileys, mate.  They haunt us.

Nightflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

I understand. now to do some damage to my clean install.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

For some reason,   :DEMONIC strikes me as funny.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 05:00:00 am »

I believe they will conflict, as in "clog up any empty site with migrants that are unable to settle and prevent the site owners from settling", resulting in lots of "ghost towns" populated by large amounts of unsettled creatures. I gave LIKES_SITE:CITY to elves and dwarves...  All human settlements didn't have a single human, but instead had some 4+hundreds of elves and dwarves loitering about. It was especially fun when some deer attacked, and they ALL (all 400 of them) decided to cram themselves into the mead hall. I then used a burning loincloth (proudly my very own) to set up a little "house warming" party in which about 50 or 60 of them burned to death before I got bored.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nightflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 05:34:00 am »

SUCCESS!

I got my civ of trolls to generate!

thanks to everyone who helped me bumble through it

Pages: [1] 2