Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "building" dwarves  (Read 1426 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"building" dwarves
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

I'm sure you've heard my complaining about too few dwarves and such.
I have tried smelting dwarves out of metal, and that didn't work since creatures cannot be added into reactions.

But, does anybody know if it is possible to make plants yield dwarves, or anything of that sort? I am desperate for any information that could help me with cloning.

I have looked through the creature tokens at least twice, and have been browsing the forums for a long time.

I am just asking if anybody knows stuff I don't that could be useful to me, since some tokens I have heard of are not on the wiki.

Thanks for any help.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "building" dwarves
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

Alright you could use dwarf companion to turn animals and such into dwarves and convert them onto your side, along with any merchants and such.  If you wish to gen a new world you can add the pet and common domestic tags to dwarves. That allows you to buy peasants at the start for 1 point a piece and the caravans will bring additional dwarf pets with them if you ask.  Once you are playing the game save it, exit, and remove those two tags to make the new dwarves normal. Other then that the adjust start and waiting for migrants are the only ways i can think of.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:47:00 am »

Also, there's a chance that they'll breed like standard animals when they're in that state.  No need for marriage.

You might even want to add the [TRAINABLE] tag to dwarves, just for some added mayhem.  Chain up a few war dwarves near your fort entrance to deal with thieves.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Also, there's a chance that they'll breed like standard animals when they're in that state.  No need for marriage.
</STRONG>

both pet and wild intelligent animals dont seem to breed, ever, even with the proper tags

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:16:00 am »

Tell it to cats.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:26:00 am »

man, your modding is completely obsessive (much like myself though, even if have already made the game as i want it) ^^
can only imagine what kind of DF you'll have when you find the solution, cloning vats requiring the use of a smelter? ^^
een failing lately?

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by gurra_geban:
<STRONG>man, your modding is completely obsessive (much like myself though, even if have already made the game as i want it) ^^</STRONG>

Heh, that's my style. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my "velociraptors" (they come by the 50s, not sure if that counts as velociraptors) to work, so my catapults haven't had any blood yet.

Also thanks to beorn80, but I hate starting with peasants because then I have to manually go around and assign each of them a job. Still, they would be good early soldiers and haulers.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

[ February 13, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

Each caste does its part for the greater good.  Lesser dwarves provide your grunt labor force, while the higher classes have more time on their hands to attend to more important matters.

I might have to do something with this...  Does the creature need the intelligent tag in order to do work at jobs?  I want some lower creature that will do odd jobs around the fort, but also breed.

Yeeess....   Great possibilities lie down this road...    An orc hunter out with his group of hunting goblins, the goblins mob the prey, and the orc picks up and returns the kill...

Sounds good to me.

Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>An orc hunter out with his group of hunting goblins, the goblins mob the prey, and the orc picks up and returns the kill...</STRONG>
This isn't unique. Dwarf hunters with hunting dogs work the same way.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

I'm gonna make the ultimate pet: vicious, powerful, trainable, and it can be butchered for lots of meat and bones, without many chunks. A lean mean killing machine.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

hay slappy! if you want your velociraptors (i guess they are large roaming) to be agressive and attack your fort, do like this.

1:remove their eyes, makes them not see your dwarves and thus they are not scared if in the vicinity of one.
2a:this is my favourite ^^ add [VERMINHUNTER] to the velociraptors and [VERMIN_LAVA] to dwarves (in the creature_standard file). this way the velociraptors will seek out your dwarves even if they can't see them and try to mangle them to death, and even if your dwarves are INSIDE. if you want total agressiveness, do this alternative.
2b:just add [CURIOUSBEAST], and they will try to grab supplies outside of your fort, without fearing your defenders.

although, if you do this, remember that your dwarves WILL die many horrible deaths (especially if you add [BUILDINGDESTROYER] to your raptors). im playing a fort where creatures known as exorays attack quite seldom, they destroy buildings as well and have a speed of 400 ^^ 31 attacked in beginning of spring, they killed 3 well trained soldiers and maimed 12 dwarves who will probably never work again.

gl hf, hope this was what you were looking for  ;)

een failing lately?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

I don't really know what CURIOUSBEAST does.  I think the end result is similar to your VERMINHUNTER solution in that the creature will approach your dwarves (at which point LARGEPREDATOR kicks in and causes mayhem).  I only tried it once, but that's what happened for me.  Didn't spend enough time with it to see what they were actually trying to do when they raided my fort.

CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM will cause item theft as you described.  CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER will cause food theft (in particular, they'll sit in your stockpile and eat your food -- they don't just grab and run).  CURIOUSBEAST?  Not really sure.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

I've heard about that vermin hunter thing, but I forgot to add it to my dwarves.

Thanks for letting me know it makes them actually hunt my dwarves, heheh.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>This isn't unique. Dwarf hunters with hunting dogs work the same way.</STRONG>

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it.  Just pointing out what it would be like with a group of goblins instead of dogs...

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

I've tested this concept quite furiously, as i like playing all my games on ultra-hard setting, and DF really has become the game i can spend days with. CURIOUSBEAST does NOT work with LARGE_PREDATOR. Unless cornered, creatures with LARGE_PREDATOR will run from your dwarves. you can even fire bolts at them and they will flee.
To get any kind of agressive creature, the creature must not see its foe in any way. Even tokens like NOTHOUGHT, LIKES_FIGHTING, RECKLESS, NOPAIN and NOFEAR will not make a LARGE_ROAMING creature attack a dwarf on sight, it will only run away.
MAGMAVISION and EXTRAVISION will kill the effects of removing a creatures eyes, as the thing will still see your dwarves.
I hope to see a real token for making animals agressive in the future, instead of using a stupid workaround where the animal don't see your dwarf but goes on coded movement patterns to find "vermin".
een failing lately?
Pages: [1] 2