Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Its An Ecologist's World  (Read 3993 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Its An Ecologist's World
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

Before going on my foray into the tropics, I had only taken a cursory glance at modding, but was far too busy.  With the semester beginning (and therefore having plenty of time as I put things off until later), and pending my return to the US, I have decided (well, I decided a while ago, but will begin once I return) to make a simple mod based on some of my experiences and observations as a scientist in the tropical rainforest, and as an ecologist with a love of everything.  I'm no big modder, just doing small things that I like to add variety.

However no one person can know everything.  I could never deal with a community mod, but I begin this thread early to tell what I have made and cannot post yet, and will not be able to until I have returned to where my computer can run DF, so as to ask for people's opinions on that which I claim/present.  Also, if anyone wants to steal ideas, go ahead, modding is for everyone anyway.  Also, any ideas are perfectly welcome.

1. Ants.  While I am a botanist and mycologist by study, I was particularly intrigued by the diversity and, moreover, the sheer power of the ants.  So lets make them civilizations!  
a. Army ants could be a force that could invade like some other civilizations when the fortress population is high enough.  
b. Leaf cutter ants, perhaps I could find a way to have them invade, cut down all the trees, maybe even destroy the saplings, and leave.  I do not know if I can.  Would be relavent, though.
c. Bullet ants.  These are nasty ants that patrol mostly solitarily and live in small nests of 1000 individuals.  They grow as big as your thumb, with a bad bite and a powerful sting.  In DF, they will be semimegabeasts or something.  I should ask if queens sting: megabeast if they do.

2. Opuntia and others in the desert and similar habitats (though they have them here in the rainforest too).  One of the things neglected is that there are desert plants which produce edible (and pretty good) fruits, or themselves are edible.

3. Many other tropical fruits (and non-tropical to some extent) and interesting plants.  Many of which will be rare, even though many have no super-special properties.  Why?  Because if your herbalist could clear an area an only have a 20% chance of getting a sample of one of the plants (and therefore 4% chance of getting a sample of two of the plants) that year, it won't matter how many plants I add, every dwarf fortress will end up being different, because most will never encounter most things, and what they do encounter will be random.  Variety is the spice of life!  I try to have everything have it's quirks or interesting features, but within reason... we don't need three things which act in every way like strawberries but by a different name.

4. Cladina rangiferrina in the tundras and similar: they are edible when prepared propperly, but take a whole lot of time to grow, and will never have any appreciable value.  But if your strapped for things in the tundra...

5. The usual various trees: Baobabs in tropical deserts and dry forests, bald cyprus in the appropriate swamp, bamboo, ect.

6. Radish: only spring and fall, and low value, but very fast growing.  And other such plants with combinations of properties to add variety to cultivation.  Variety is the spice of life (again).

7. More subterranean edible fungi, because variety is the spice of life (redundant)!

8. Cacao, and the chocolate making process.  Until further notice, I'll be using the smelter for some reactions, unfortunately.  Please forgive that ^.^

9. Modify Rhesus.  Because if you ever encountered the little blagards, you'd know why they are dangerous.  They throw s**t at you.  Literally.  Among other things.

I will edit as a way of updating, and once I get back to the US, will be posting the actual plants and such (after testing, of course).  So, you guys' thoughts?

[ January 21, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel, to fix Macaca stuff (See Below)]

[ January 22, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Its An Ecologist's World
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>
9. I don't know if these are already there, but Macacs.  Because if you ever encountered the little blagards, you'd know why they are dangerous.
</STRONG>

Macaque, as in rhesus? They're already in. I couldn't find anything under the spelling "macac", so I'm guessing that was a typo.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

Ahh, you are quite right.  Sorry about that, I only knew the little blighters by their Genus name, Macaca.  I should modify them then.  Give them the ability to fling their dung and other fetid things somehow as ranged attacks that give bad thoughts.  Well... no... then dwarves in already bad moods would tantrum in the middle of the fight... but anyway...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:36:00 am »

Cacao can be made into drugs too!

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

True, but the only reason one would make drugs would be to sell, since there's no system by which drugs, besides alcohol (The ultimate longterm stimulant and fuel to a dwarven body), could be of particular use, other then selling on the drug market for great profits...  Heck they couldn't even induce extra temporary happiness as far as I know.  I figure this drug market is the whole reason we have plants whose vial extracts cost 100 gold a hit... I mean, per vial.

If I could, yeah, extracting Theobromine or something as an interesting pick meup to a sad dwarf would be cool.  But then I would also put in the Coca plant and the stuff that Marry J. Wants.

[ January 23, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

Having returned to the US, I have begun putting things into the propper format and fiddiling with things now.  So as promised, a few trees in case anyone wants to add some more spice to some places.  Each of these trees are chosen because I know them to be particularly important for some reason.  Note, if any of my ecologies or facts are wrong, please tell me.

With bulbous bases for water storag, the Baobabs, genus Adasonia, are trees able to survive in relatively dry conditions, including even extreme deserts... I have heard them called Home Trees because a living one will be very large and can be hollowed out and lived in without killing the tree... but I have only seen pictures of this.
[MATGLOSS_WOOD:BAOBAB]
   [NAME:baobab][ADJ:baobab]
   [TILE:127]
   [PREFSTRING:bulbous bodies]
   [PREFSTRING:many uses]
   [WET][DRY]
   [BIOME_SAVANNA_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME_DESERT_SAND]
   [SAPLING]

This name often refers to the group known as 'strangler figs' but can mean any of the large trees of the genus Ficus which expand outward by putting down aerial roots which develope into trunks.  Some figs have popular edible fruits.
[MATGLOSS_WOOD:BANYAN]
   [NAME:banyan][ADJ:banyan]
   [TILE:203]
   [PREFSTRING:interesting fruits]
   [PREFSTRING:many trunks]
   [PREFSTRING:interesting look]
   [DRY][WET]
   [BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL]
   [SAPLING]

The genus Auracaria, of the family Araucariaceae, includes the famous Norfolk Island Pine and the Monkey Puzzle tree, one of my personal favorite trees.  You must see them.  The cones and seeds are abundant and in some areas are a staple food for some cultures.
[MATGLOSS_WOOD:MONKEY_PUZZLE]
   [NAME:monkey puzzle][ADJ:monkey puzzle]
   [TILE:216]
   [PREFSTRING:koans]
   [PREFSTRING:spines]
   [DRY][WET]
   [BIOME_FOREST_TROPICAL_CONIFER]
   [SAPLING]

Eaten by various birds for it's delightful red pulp and it's seeds, used by humans and elves for a popular seasoning, this tall, long lived tropical broadleaf tree is often used as the shade tree in polyculture Cacao plantations, since they provide both the shade and further profits.
[MATGLOSS_WOOD:NUTMEG]
   [NAME:Nutmeg][ADJ:Nutmeg]
   [TILE:226]
   [PREFSTRING:flavorful seeds]
   [PREFSTRING:bright red arilli]
   [WET][DRY]
   [BIOME_FOREST_TROPICAL_MOIST_BROADLEAF]
   [SAPLING]

This relatively diverse group of trees produces seeds which, inside the shells, which split and fall off, contain one or two seeds (from my experience) in a tangy, delicious white pulp. Some species are edible, but as far as I know it's not a cultivated crop: too sparse. They are fun to nibble on, though.  I am glad that, if poisonous, I managed to (by chance) avoid them while in the forest.
[MATGLOSS_WOOD:PROTIUM]
   [NAME:Protium][ADJ:Protium]
   [PREFSTRING:tart pulp]
   [PREFSTRING:fragrant wood]
   [WET][DRY]
   [SAPLING]

The genus Pentaclethra was well known as the most important tree in the Tirimbina forest, representing 40% of the tree cover.  They are fast growing, and quickly grow in disturbed habitats such as tip-ups and others. Their pods are known for making loud 'pop's when exploding, which is a mechanism for seed dispersal.  Their pods have pleanty of a relatively flamable oil which made them ideal fire starters (if you could ever find them dry).  I saw them in all habitats, so I assume them to be pretty hardy dessication-wise.
[MATGLOSS_WOOD:Pentaclethra]
   [NAME:Pentaclethra][ADJ:Pentaclethra]
   [PREFSTRING:exploding pods]
   [WET][DRY]
   [BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL_BROADLEAF]
   [SAPLING]

Toady put that he wanted more swamp trees... what about the good old Bald Cyprus, king of the Cyprus Swamps.
[MATGLOSS_WOOD:Cyprus]
   [NAME:Bald Cyprus][ADJ:Bald Cyprus]
   [TILE:18]
   [PREFSTRING:knobby knees]
   [WET][DRY]
   [BIOME_SWAMP_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
   [BIOME_MARSH_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
   [SAPLING]

Red maples are stereotypically wetland maples, nice and common in just about any type of wetland.  Again, I put this because toady wanted more wetland trees...
[MATGLOSS_WOOD:Red Maple]
   [NAME:Red Maple][ADJ:Red Maple]
   [TILE:24]
   [PREFSTRING:reddish leaves]
   [WET][DRY]
   [BIOME_SWAMP_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
   [BIOME_MARSH_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
   [BIOME_SWAMP_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
   [BIOME_MARSH_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
   [SAPLING]

[ January 27, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

quote:
Their pods are known for making loud 'pop's when exploding, which is a mechanism for seed dispersal. Their pods have pleanty of a relatively flamable oil which made them ideal fire starters  

DWARVEN HAND GRENADES!!!

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

^.^ Unfortunately it's not that powerful, even from way up in the top of the tree it only helps get them another 10m away from the parent.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

Awww...  :(

Still some great work here, though.

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 11:56:00 pm »

As well, today, I have my first post of plants.  Not all are tested: those that were in the two habitats I tried all worked sucessfully, though I decided to lower their frequency from 5 (rare) to 1 (very rare).  Again, I want them to be super-novel, so that no fort will have more then 2 or 3 of my plants over the long term unless the herbalist goes 24/7 or such.  However I could be wrong: if frequency has some other effect other then determining the relative abundance of a particular plant, please post and tell me an I will remedy it.  Again, I am always up for suggestions, comments, and being told where I screwed up.  So here are my plants thus far...  This is all for tonight, I will continue adding things in the near future...

(EDIT1: Added a few more things: from Marsh Mallow to Bees.  Changed frequencies back to 5 because merchants bring the plants along randomly anyway, so trying to use keeping them rare to stimlate different fort ecologies won't work.  Made a few corrections... and changes... keep in mind, this is still in the testing phases.  Today also confirmed: plants are not limited to 1 season growth, so durations greater then 1008 are just fine.  Also, confirmed that plants in places where plants usually are not (e.g. mountains) will only be found at interfaces between that habitat and plant containing ones.  For my trial fort, it was tropical grassland and mountain: Armok Manna was found at the edge of the border between the two habitats.)

Slow growing, low value, but vast spreading, and ecologically ubiquitous, the Reindeer Lichen, Cladina Rangiferina, represents the staple of the diet of reindeer.  The reindeer will consume many pounds per day.  The stuff coats the ground in some northern areas in thick tufts. It is often used in crafts and decorations by humans.  It's not very good, but is edible if prepared right, hence I add it as a low value, slow growth subsistence food, capable of occuring in the colder and more inhospitable climates. I have found the stuff everythere from high mountains to low swamps, from alaska (heck, where reideer are) to florida.  And though I didn't see any, it's not unheard of in Costa Rica. So... yeah.  It's pretty ubiquitous.  Because of it's slow growth, it's not meant to be more then a subsistence food, requiring lots of land to produce enough food and drink for the populous, but it is something that can, because of it's uses, be used to keep a fort going in much colder areas.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:CLADINA_RANGIFERINA]
   [TILE:227][COLOR:3:0:1]
   [NAME:reindeer moss][NAME_PLURAL:reindeer moss]
   [GROWDUR:1000][VALUE:1]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:3:0:1]
   [SEEDNAME:cladina bits][SEED:4:0:1]
   [WET][DRY]
   [BIOME_ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST]
   [BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST]
   [BIOME_TUNDRA]
   [BIOME_FOREST_TAIGA]
   [BIOME_MOUNTAIN]
   [BIOME_GRASSLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME_SAVANNA_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME_SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME_GRASSLAND_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME_SAVANNA_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME_SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
   [GENPOWER:2]
   [DRINK:Aquavit:3:0:1]
   [DRINKVALUE:2]
   [MILL:cladina powder:7:0:1]
   [MILL_VALUE:10]
   [COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]
   [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
   [FREQUENCY:5]
   [CLUSTERSIZE:5]
   [PREFSTRING:twining branches]
   [PREFSTRING:thick mats]

A bit of a novelty for me was to have the chance to open a green coconut, strait off the tree, and drink the sugary liquid within.  As it turns out, this is a common practice, and coconut palms are grown commercially for their fruits.  I never knew.  This plant may need corrections, but the basis of the model is thus: it takes a very long time to grow to maturity, but produces a whole bunch of coconuts when it does.  It's unfortunate  that it would need replanting.  I can only assume 'cluster size' is the size of the resulting clusters from higher  grower skill or herbalism skill: if not, please correct me.  20 cluster size makes up for the fact that it takes so long to grow. I also find it unfortunate that HASSHELL cannot be put to plants.  This would be a perfect case.  I would love to make coconut shell crafts and coconut shell mugs for my dwarves, in a Gilligan's Isle setting.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:COCONUT_PALM]
   [TILE:167][COLOR:6:0:0]
   [NAME:coconut][NAME_PLURAL:lovely coconuts standing in a row]
   [GROWDUR:2500][VALUE:4]
   [SEEDNAME:coconut][SEED:6:0:0]
   [WET][DRY][BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL]
   [VALUE:5]
   [GENPOWER:5]
   [DRINK:coconut milk brew:7:0:1]
   [DRINKVALUE:3]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [CLUSTERSIZE:20]
   [PREFSTRING:large leaves]
   [PREFSTRING:hard shells]

Agave tequilana is used to make tequila.  Normally it takes 12 years to grow, after which time they remove the heart (and there is a LOT from each plant) and brew it.  Economically one would use it for it's valuable brew, but some agave are used to make thread as well, so I give you here a general agave that does both.  But since you probably don't want to wait 12 years for it, this one grows a little faster, lets say ^.^.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:CENTURY_PLANT]
   [TILE:157][COLOR:3:0:1]
   [NAME:agave][NAME_PLURAL:agaves]
   [GROWDUR:1750]
   [DRINK:tequila:6:0:1]
   [DRINKVALUE:8]
   [DRY]
   [BIOME_ANY_DESERT]
   [BIOME_SAVANNA_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME_GRASSLAND_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME_SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
   [VALUE:10]
   [GENPOWER:1]
   [THREAD]
   [PREFSTRING:long lives]
   [PREFSTRING:tall flower stalks]
   [SEED:6:0:0]

This would be your typical prickly pear.  The fruits of this plant are edible, known as Tuna (yes, but not the fish) in spanish speaking countries.  I know it more fondly as something fun to prepare and eat when I lived in the desert,  so I add it here.  Plus, the desert needs something edible that you can collect...  They are not just in deserts, though,  I saw some living even within the rainforest, so they are relatively ubiquitious in warmer climates, though sparse some places, and able to survive into some cooler ones: I have seen them grown outside in pennsylvania... but lets just call them a hot place only species for now.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:OPUNTIA]
   [TILE:38][COLOR:5:0:1]
   [NAME:Prickly Pear][NAME_PLURAL:Prickly Pears]
   [GROWDUR:400]
   [DRY]
   [BIOME_ANY_DESERT]
   [BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL]
   [VALUE:2]
   [MILL:tuna sugar:4:0:1]
   [MILL_VALUE:20]
   [COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [PREFSTRING:spines]
   [PREFSTRING:large flowers]
   [SEED:6:0:0]

True chocolate.  A rarish plant, with a high value product, very restricted in habitat, just as cacao is supposed to be. I know he already has it as a wood so I had to make this a bush.  Whatever, it works.  Normally to make chocolate there's  more steps: there's be an extraction step, a fermentation step, a drying step, then a milling step.  We could shorten it to, say, an extraction step (cacao pods --> cacao seeds), a processing step at either the kitchen or the fermenter (seeds --> cacao) and a milling step (cacao --> cocoa powder).  Or something.  But for now, lets just say it can be milled and brewed and stuff, I will fix it when reactions can be done in non-smelters.  Kitchen reactions will be good... many things of importance...
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:CACAO_BUSH]
   [TILE:´&´][COLOR:0:0:1]
   [NAME:cacao bush][NAME_PLURAL:cacao bushes]
   [GROWDUR:1000]
   [DRY][WET]
   [VALUE:4]
   [MILL:chocolate:7:0:1]
   [MILL_VALUE:35]
   [COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]
   [DRINK:dwarven hot chocolate:0:0:1]
   [DRINKVALUE:7]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [PREFSTRING:flowers]
   [PREFSTRING:colored pods]
   [SEED:0:0:1]

A massive mushroom, this saprophyte can be grown, though having enough nutrients to make a substantial fruit can be difficult. Nonetheless, a large calvatia is a prized mushroom to find and eat.  They are like tofu in texture, and in taste: they take on the flavor of whatever you cook them in.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:CALVATIA_GIGANTEA]
   [TILE:´O´][COLOR:7:0:1]
   [NAME:giant puffball][NAME_PLURAL:giant puffballs]
   [GROWDUR:500][VALUE:4]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:7:0:0]
   [SEEDNAME  :puffball spores][SEED:6:0:1]
   [GENPOWER:3]
   [EDIBLE_VERMIN]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [PREFSTRING:massive bodies]
   [WET][DRY][BIOME_SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
   [BIOME_FOREST_TEMPERATE_CONIFER]
   [BIOME_FOREST_TEMPERATE_BROADLEAF]

Hmmm... why not.  I know the glow of glowing mushrooms is enzymatic, but lets just have a glowing mushroom that makes glowing dye, just for fun.  Hmm, it seems to be available at startout for some reason... so lets up the growing time to balance out the fact that it is therefore very easy to get.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:MOON_CAP]
   [TILE:´T´][COLOR:5:0:0]
   [NAME:moon cap][NAME_PLURAL:moon caps]
   [GROWDUR:900][VALUE:3]
   [SEEDNAME:moon cap spawn][SEED:6:0:1]
   [EDIBLE_WHENCOOKED]
   [EXTRACT:glow powder:6:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:70]
   [EXTRACT_VIAL]
   [MILL:glow dye:6:0:1]
   [MILL_VALUE:30]
   [MILL_DYE:LIME]
   [PREFSTRING:faintly glowing caps]

Everybody loves truffles.  They would pay hundreds of dollars for them, or more.  Well, I don't, and wouldn't, but then I don't really count anyway so it's all good.  Anyway, slow to grow needing to be grown on a plant (mycorrhizal), the substances which are the reason for the scent and taste are extremely pungent and potent, and have very high value, but relatively rare (though I put it in any non-freezing biome and temperate ones, so rare locally, common globally, eh?)
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:WHITE_TRUFFLE]
   [TILE:166][COLOR:7:0:1]
   [NAME:white truffle][NAME_PLURAL:white truffles]
   [GROWDUR:1500][VALUE:10]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:7:0:0]
   [SEEDNAME:truffle-innoculated seedling][SEED:7:0:1]
   [EDIBLE_WHENCOOKED]
   [EXTRACT:truffle oil:6:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:100]
   [EXTRACT_BARREL]
   [EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
   [PREFSTRING  :pungent fragrance]
   [BIOME_NOT_FREEZING]
   [BIOME_ANY_TEMPERATE]

I decided it would be useful to put in a plant with a slightly different ecology: very fast growing and cheap.  It can't be brewed or extracted, it's only good cooked or edible raw, so you certainly can't base your entire camp on it, but if ever strapped for food or wanting to get in one last crop before a season ends, whip out the mule radish seeds and make use of them.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:MULERADISH]
   [TILE:229][COLOR:4:0:0]
   [NAME:mule radish][NAME_PLURAL:mule radishes]
   [GROWDUR:125]
   [DRY][WET][BIOME_NOT_FREEZING]
   [BIOME_ANY_TEMPERATE]
   [VALUE:1]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [EDIBLE_VERMIN]
   [SPRING][AUTUMN]
   [PREFSTRING:fast growth]
   [SEED:4:0:0]

I decided to make up a sort of hardy, fluffy mint plant that would be adapted to hot, drier climates.  The hairs that coat the succulent leaves would serve, much as a cactus's spines, to protect from excessive light (particularly UV).  Again, this is made up.  It makes a few leaves which are usable, and can be used to make a thread if the protective fluff is used.  Also, mint extract for those with vial production going on, can help with a little income.  Not a bad plant, though not frequent either.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:FURFURMINT]
   [TILE:157][COLOR:3:0:1]
   [NAME:fluffy mint][NAME_PLURAL:fluffy mint]
   [GROWDUR:800]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:3:0:0]
   [DRY][WET][BIOME_ANY_DESERT]
   [LEAVES:3]
   [VALUE:4]
   [THREAD]
   [EXTRACT:mint extract:3:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:50]
   [EXTRACT_VIAL]
   [PREFSTRING:minty scent]
   [PREFSTRING:succulent hairy leaves]
   [SEED:3:0:0]

Amanita Muscaria, the famous mushroom.  It is usually mycorrhizal, thus one would really not be able to grow it, but hey, what the heck, may as well.  This is the halucinogenic mushroom which is the reason for everything from santa clause to, possibly, the start of the christian and similar religions.  It is still used by some for this purpose.  SOme compounds in the mushroom will make one sick, but are metabolized by the body.  The active hallucinogen is not, though.  SOmeone figured this out, and realized they could get the effects without the sickness if they just drink the urine of the reindeer that have eaten some.  Human urine does this too, and some priests and such have historically had their subjects eat the mushrooms and then drunk their subject's urine.  Slow to grow, but valuable.  Consider a 'cluster' to be a fairy ring of them ^.^ Based on the name, you can probably imagine what method described above is used for the 'extraction'.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:A_MUSCARIA]
   [TILE:194][COLOR:4:0:1]
   [NAME:fly agaric][NAME_PLURAL:fly agarics]
   [GROWDUR:900][VALUE:8]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:4:0:1]
   [DRINK:Christmas Spirits:5:0:0]
   [DRINKVALUE:5]
   [EXTRACT:dwarven urine:3:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:75]
   [EXTRACT_BARREL]
   [SEEDNAME:amanita spawn][SEED:4:0:1]
   [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]
   [EDIBLE_VERMIN]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [PREFSTRING:colorful tops]
   [WET][DRY][BIOME_TUNDRA]
   [WET][DRY][BIOME_FOREST_TAIGA]
   [WET][DRY][BIOME_ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST]
   [WET][DRY][BIOME_MOUNTAIN]
   [WET][DRY][BIOME_NOT_FREEZING]

It is said that the gods give unto their people that which they need to survive, knowing that they need their people for their own survival.  The gods shepard their people, though hardship builds charachter, and strengthens faith in the gods,  this they know from millenia of experience.  Surely was the care of Armok most pronounced when his people were but a small race, driven to survive.  Armok must surely have been proud and impressed.  In the 1st century, some of the first Dwarves of Armok, as they burrowed through the stone to hide and escape from their slavery, lived in the seclusion of a cavern of their own make.  Their resources were running low, and they would surely need to return to slavery or all face death by starvation.  But Armok, clawing with bare hands that ripped and tore on the sharp earth and were quickly coated in blood, rent the earth, giving unto the dwarves a vast chasm.  And he spake, "Follow this rent earth, and you shall find salvation."  And lining the chasm, wherever the gods great bloody fingers had touched stone lay the thick blood of armok.  Called Manna by the dwarves, this edible flaky crust was all they could find to eat, though they needed nothing more for it is the blessed blood that flows through the veins of Armok, and so quickly replenished their own blood and body.  The people consumed of their gods dried blood, and after weeks of travel in the great chasm, emerged to the safety of a vast mountain chain.  Yet they were without tools, and other then the Manna within the chasm, had no food.  They stayed at the chasm, lest they starve to death.  They began to build a civilization, and to carve out great cities. Yet the chasm became home to a great and fearsome beast, with as much a taste for dwarven flesh as any other.  The dwarves faced starvation in the mountains, with high deadly cliffs, tearing, searing winds, and death from the creature in the chasm.  And Armok, seeing his followers die, was moved not to pity, but to personal need, and once again rent the earth.  His hands scraped at the hard stone, tearing skin and shattering nails, until a path was divulged for his followers.  "Follow this path" he spake once again, "And you shall find salvation."  And so did the people follow the path of smoothed stone down the mountain, again partaking of the blood of their god to sustain them.  They found themselves in the plains at the foothills of the mountains, vast and ripe with soil.  They built a civilization there, which was largely successful, and spread throughout the earth.  We, the people of Armok have never forgotten, nor shall we ever forget, and are eternally thankful to the cold, calculating, ruthless god, knowing that when truly there is need, the god of blood will not flinch at any pain to do what must be done.  And we may all take great pleasure knowing, as the people of armok, as the right hand of Armok in this world, we will always have Armok's protection and aid in our last hours, until our blood runs cold.
***Exerpt from the Origins of Dwarven Might, by Medrinthack Partgradit, Dwarven High Priest of Armok.***
The Manna of Armok, legendary as it is, is to me a red rock dwelling lichen, similar to the species Xanthoria Elegans, a rock dweller of bright orange to red color, for where better for the god of the dwarves to feed them with his blood but from the stones of the earth?  Grown by the people of Armok, these lichens dwell on the high stones themselves.  They are only in demand among the people of Armok, so the economic value is low, though the spiritual value is undeniable.  It grows wherever the conditions are particularly harsh and dry, such as chasms and rock deserts.  This is meant to be another subsistence crop: the sort of thing that can do most things you might need it to, in this case food, drink, and a dye, but takes a long time to grow, and is not very profitable besides.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:ARMOK_MANNA]
   [TILE:'~'][COLOR:4:0:1]
   [NAME:Armok manna][NAME_PLURAL:Armok mannas]
   [GROWDUR:1100][VALUE:5]
   [DRINK:blood:4:0:0]
   [DRINKVALUE:3]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:4:0:0]
   [MILL:bloodmeal:4:0:1]
   [MILL_VALUE:15]
   [MILL_DYE:MAROON]
   [EXTRACT:blood pudding:6:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:15]
   [EXTRACT_BARREL]
   [EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
   [SEEDNAME:manna thallus bits][SEED:4:0:1]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [PREFSTRING:history in the church of Armok]
   [BIOME_MOUNTAIN]
   [BIOME_SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
   [BIOME_DESERT_BADLAND]
   [BIOME_DESERT_ROCK]

The Marsh Mallow, a plant in the family Malvaceae (along with the hybiscuses), specifically Althaea officinalis, is used for a variety of things but I find a lot of herbal medicine to be unworthy of attention, so I focus here on the fact that it was the original source of the popular food Marshmallows.  The plant, particularly the root, has large quantities of a very viscous emulsifier which was extracted and used as a thickener to make various foods and very fluffy snacks... though to get things similar to the Marshmallows we know today, the french had to add egg whites and beat it, and various sweeteners to give it some flavor, since it is not particularly sweet on it's own.  Thus this plant will produce an extract which itself is not very edible, but which can be used as one of the ingrediants when cooking.  Other then that, it is a medium-high value extract, being somewhat a novelty in the world market at the time.  It grows in temperate environments, in any relatively to very wet habitat.  Thus I hope the (WET) token allows it to specify that, within the temperate forests, it grows only near rivers and ponds and such 'wet' places.  If not, please correct me so I can remove those habitats from the list.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:MARSH_MALLOW]
   [TILE:'?'][COLOR:4:0:1]
   [NAME:marsh mallow root][NAME_PLURAL:marsh mallow roots]
   [GROWDUR:650][VALUE:4]
   [EXTRACT:marsh mallow fluff:7:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:30]
   [EXTRACT_BARREL]
   [EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
   [SEED:7:0:1]
   [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]
   [PREFSTRING:large flowers]
   [WET]
   [BIOME_SWAMP_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
   [BIOME_SWAMP_TEMPERATE_SALTWATER]
   [BIOME_MARSH_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
   [BIOME_MARSH_TEMPERATE_SALTWATER]
   [BIOME_FOREST_TEMPERATE_CONIFER]
   [BIOME_GRASSLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME_SAVANNA_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME_SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME_FOREST_TEMPERATE_BROADLEAF]

In the rainforest, hanging down sometimes in a thick sheathe were the roots of the common philadendron plants.  Many of you may own these, they are common house plants, but if you let those roots of theirs grow long, growing to deep soil below, they become the source of what we know as Wicker.  Other things are called 'wicker' but the philadendron roots are one of the most traditional of them.  The roots are fast growing, hence I allowed this to have a low growdur.  Only tropical, and only around trees, though, and above ground to boot.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:WICKER]
   [TILE:'$'][COLOR:4:0:1]
   [NAME:Philadendron][NAME_PLURAL:Philadendrons]
   [GROWDUR:250][VALUE:4]
   [THREAD]
   [SEED:4:0:1]
   [PREFSTRING:variegated leaves]
   [WET]
   [BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST]

While not necessarily a plant, the plant section has just what I need to make another sessile crop: honey.  The queen must be replaced or cared for often, and replaced to a hive following extraction, hence it would follow the dynamics of harvest and replanting. It's not quite that simple in reality, of course, but it works under this system relatively well.  Since bees are found ubiquitously, but production would stop in temperate climates and continue in tropical and hot places, I am going to make 2 bees.  The first can only be gotten in tropical and warm places where they can produce year round but are not as quick to produce since storage is ecologically less  of an issue for them.  The second is a more temperate climate adapted species, with na tendency to focus more on food storage, thus being more productive. This second variety can be productive as early as halfway through summer if tended in early spring, though a good diligent farm could get to harvests per year out of their bees in both habitats.  In a real setting, though, a farmer would usually give the bees the end of the season to allow them to store some honey for their own use in overwintering.  Just so you know.
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:HONEY1]
   [TILE:'B'][COLOR:6:0:0]
   [NAME:Bee hive][NAME_PLURAL:Bee hives]
   [GROWDUR:1100][VALUE:20]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:6:0:0]
   [EXTRACT:Honey:6:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:45]
   [EXTRACT_BARREL]
   [EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
   [EDIBLE_VERMIN]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [SEED:6:0:1][SEEDNAME:queen bee]
   [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]
   [PREFSTRING:droning hum]
   [DRY]
   [BIOME_ANY_TEMPERATE]

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:HONEY2]
   [TILE:'B'][COLOR:6:0:0]
   [NAME:Bee hive][NAME_PLURAL:Bee hives]
   [GROWDUR:1400][VALUE:20]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:6:0:0]
   [EXTRACT:Honey:6:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:45]
   [EXTRACT_BARREL]
   [EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
   [EDIBLE_VERMIN]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [SEED:6:0:1][SEEDNAME:queen bee]
   [PREFSTRING:social behavior]
   [DRY]
   [BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL]

[ February 03, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 06:15:00 am »

This is one of the best and most serious mods yet!

I like the story about the last one.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Bearded_gnome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

Hey first post ever in df!!!

Must say I am pretty amazed at this kind of work and I find the idea to add diversity really apealing. I would like to contribute to this coming from a more northern part of the world. I do not have time yet (but will in a week or two) to learn how to mod and code those plants since I know absolutely nothing about programming. In the meantime I put those here as suggestions if anybody wants to grab them. Sorry for any repetition with any mod/forum post

Swamp plant

Black spruce (Picea mariana) is king of the swamp in boreal biomes and goes all the way up to to the tundra limit where it gets scrawny, really good paper fiber

Silver maple (Acer saccharinum) another swamp maple tree...

Sphagnum moss (sphagnum species) in peat bogs, the peat found in DF is the moss that is decomposing slowly, very slowly... The plant itself is also a good garden product (growing medium)  

Other trees

Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadiensis) coniferous tree. The bark was used to extract tannins to process leather and fur.  

Sugar maple (Acer saccharum) temperate deciduous tree, the sap extracted in late winter/early spring is used to make delicious maple syrup,

Sarsaparilla (Smilax regelii) The thing smurfs eat all the time, the roots can be used to make root beer and was used to cure syphilis (not sure if it has any effects though). The roots are also edible if you are really stranded

cheers

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

Ironically the Hemlock was a tree I was trying to think of the other day but after not finding it on the internet gave up (It's hard to find 'hemlock' without knowing what to type in ^.^), and the smilax was one of the things on my list of things to add ^.^  You can have it, of course ^.^

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »

A season is ~1000 grow units long, so anything that takes longer would always show up in red and therefore be ungrowable, I think.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

mmm this is awesome.. this should be included in the native.. ^-^ your going to compile it all in to a single raw file right? (or multiple raw files if thats the case :P)
The New Moo!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4