Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eagles falling out the sky  (Read 557 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Eagles falling out the sky
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:31:00 am »

I want to catch a gaint eagle and i figure the easiest way to do this is removing the [FLIER] tag but i wanted to check:
1.FLIER is the right tag?
2.Will this take affect without regen?
3. having caught myself a female one will re-adding the FLIER tag make it fly again?
4. Just out of intrest this one: what does the [MOUNT_EXOTIC] tag do? is this new and another bit of evidence that our dwarves will be able to ride animals?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Eagles falling out the sky
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

Mounts aren't in yet, so the tag doesn't do anything.  One they're in though, dwarves should be able to ride giant toads and all sorts of other nifty critters that have the appropriate tags.

If you remove the flier tag, you are tampering with a creature file, and you will most likely need to start a new world.  Otherwise, they would fall to the ground and waddle around for a bit if they don't die, yes.

Unfortunately for you, your options are basically just trying to get the eagle to fly into a well-placed elevated cage trap.  Try building pillars or something to hang them off of.  Editing a creature file (either to remove or add back in the flier tag) will most likely leave the creature unchanged.

Good luck, by the way.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

I was afraid of that  :( well lets see can't be that hard to build a cage trap on every single peice of ground, right?
My HoM.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

Actually flier is one of those ones that won't require a regen, just save the game, exit DF, make the change and reload, and your feathered friends will indeed start dropping from the sky.

Make sure their no more than 1 z level up when you save though, or else they may go splat.  a 1 z-level drop won't kill or injure it.  Anything higher might.

I had a custom flier fortress race, but when the pathing bugged with it, I simply removed their flier after saving and they fell from the sky and finally got to work.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

Huh, cool.  Didn't know that.

See the benefits of getting multiple opinions?  You might end up with someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

ok thanks
My HoM.