Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Everything about modding. Please.  (Read 1792 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Everything about modding. Please.
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

Okay, here we go.  I've got a load of questions (since they all relate to modding, I only assume this is the place to post as opposed to the gameplay questions subforum), and I'd like either the answers  or the links to the answers so I can read it myself.

Here goes;

1:How many recognized [SPHERE:???] tags are there?
2:What bodypart tags are there that would make a custom part cause nausea/extreme pain/other interesting effects normally reserved for organs?
3:What can happen to a bodypart with the [GUTS] tag?
4:What are all the personality tokens, and what do the three integers stand for [PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:50:100]?
5:I want to restrict [POWER] creatures to specific civlizations.  Can I do that in a way other than just aligning sphere preferences?

And finally, what should I have put into the search bar to find the previously posted answers to all these?

Note that these are being used in an active modding project, so I will likely come up with more in a while.

P.S.
The Wiki has some incomplete/incorrect info regarding bodyparts and such, so just linking me there ain't gonna work.

EDIT: One more thing, is there any way to make nobles arrive without a consort?
EDIT2: UBSTEP and LBSTEP, what areas do they affect, exactly?
[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Everything about modding. Please.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:52:00 am »

1.All the recognized sphere tags can be found in the file_changes.txt file of the new version.
2.LOWERBODY is what causes nausea. THROAT marks the part as a breath organ, also makes it latchable-to, such as when bitten. EMBEDDED marks the part as externally visible, thus gougeable via wrestling and slashout-able and pokeout-able via damage, although overrides like APERTURE and THROAT remove the gougeability. Severe damage to a NERVOUS part will disable GRASPs, STANCE parts, FLIER parts, and BREATH parts that are down the tree from any THOUGHT on the body, or at least so I think.
3.GUTS makes an INTERNAL part show the message "entrails shoot out of the wound" and instantly jump to red damage when critically hit.
4.The personality tokens are too many to list. Toady himself listed them somewhere, I think. The three numbers are the lowest, mean, and highest possible value of that personality facet applied to a given creature of the race.
5.POWER creatures are not limited to spheres. They are aligned according to EVIL or GOOD. Only setting an entity's affinity to all of the power's spheres to 0 may have an effect in this regard.

No idea about the nobles.

UBSTEP and LBSTEP are, if I understand it right, upper body and lower body "steps", i.e. slots in layering, that a given armor piece occupies. Once you're out of layering, you can't put on any more armor.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:30:00 am »

Heh, was waiting for you to answer in this thread.  You know just about everything as far as modding goes.

However, I don't think you're correct about the UBSTEP and LBSTEP...  I'm pretty sure it has to do with how many body parts it affects.  For instance, a shirt covers all the area it occupies ([COVERAGE:100], I think that's what it means), but even though it's only worn on the chest, it also covers the arms (UBSTEP:MAX), but not the legs (LBSTEP:0).  A vest covers only the chest, and does not affect either the arms or the legs (UBSTEP:0, LBSTEP:0), while a robe covers everything (UBSTEP:MAX, LBSTEP:MAX).

The layering tokens I think are what define how much stuff you can pile onto yourself, but I'm still trying to figure those out.  I was asking about the UBSTEP/LBSTEP thing because I wanted to find out how far it goes in one direction or another per increment.  Y'know, will UBSTEP:1 cover just the upper arm or all the way to the wrist?

An item to support the claim of coverage is the low boot.  It does not have the high boot's [UBSTEP:1], but you shouldn't be able to wear more low boots than high boots.  Or one pair of each.

Anyways, thanks for pointing me in the right directions, it's certainly helpful.  Didn't know that the [LOWERBODY] tag was what caused nausea...  That's going to make it difficult to make a creature with a "soft spot" that induces vomiting but doesn't compose the main body.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:50:00 am »

Ah. Hm, okay. I wasn't modding clothing all that much, but I understand it now.

The "step" is how many body parts of the upper or lower skeleton the armor extends to. MAX means all the way. 1 for an upper body armor means it extends to upper arms. Lower body armor (pants) generally don't have UBSTEP. Gloves and boots have "upstep" instead, which is usually 1 - this means they cover the body part directly adjacent to the part the clothespiece is worn on, like lower arms for gauntlets, and lower legs for high boots.

The best protection in this sense are robes and dresses, since they provide full coverage for all body parts.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

So if a creature has a sphere tag, it doesn't need the power tag to be worshipped?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:13:00 am »

No, I said that any creature with the POWER tag can be worshipped, regardless of sphere, as long as it is the same alignment (EVIL, GOOD, or neutral) as the worshipping creature, and possibly if the worshipping creature doesn't have relevant sphere affinities set to 0. That was my observation, at any rate. The Dark Elves I've created don't have depravity or thralldom in their affinity lists, yet they regularly worship tentacle demons...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

Is there any way I can easily seperate animals so specific civs can use them (one has cats and the other dogs, for an example), without tapping into the biome tags or [EVIL]?  I know cats have slightly genocidal tendencies, but I'm not sure if they qualify for [EVIL].  

That is actually what I'm trying to do.  I want one neutral race to have cats available, and the other to have dogs.  Any way of accomplishing this?

Also, will a race that has no gender and thus no reproduction die out, or will they recieve reinforcements from the "mothership"?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

I think the game will detect non-immortal genderless creatures and will simply not spawn them. If it still will though, yes, they will die out. Even normal reproducing races can die out if you set their minimal age low enough.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

I wonder what would happen if I gave [POWER] tag to goblins and took it away from the demon...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

Hm. Well, I suppose if you made goblins a power, goblins would worship a goblin.  :p

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>5.POWER creatures are not limited to spheres. They are aligned according to EVIL or GOOD. Only setting an entity's affinity to all of the power's spheres to 0 may have an effect in this regard.</STRONG>

Incorrect. ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER religions look for POWER creatures matching A) their alignment (good/evil), or B) any RELIGION_SPHERE and SPHERE matches between the religion and the POWER. Both sets are valid ways to associate a POWER to a civilization/religion. In my Neanderthal add-on to Prehistoria, I've run about a dozen world with 10 Neanderthal civs and 100% of them have had sphere-appropriate dinosaurs as their deities. Not one has had a demon of any sort. Why? Because they aren't evil and because the dinosaurs match their sphere preferences for religion.

Note that neutral is not an alignment! Only GOOD and EVIL are valid alignment-based POWERs.

Also note that POWERs must be immortal (no MAXAGE tag) and intelligent (INTELLIGENT tag or CAN_SPEAK and CAN_LEARN). There's no such thing as a mortal, unintelligent deity in DF at the moment.

[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: Zurai ]

[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: Zurai ]

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Hm. Well, I suppose if you made goblins a power, goblins would worship a goblin.   :p</STRONG>

If only there was a way to determine a class for the worshiped power, I could make pharaohs...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »

Well, you could just name a creature with the follower's name in front of it.  For example, name a creature a "goblin pharaoh" instead of just "pharaoh".  They did, after all, think they were more than mere humans.  They were the walking gods.

This does not, however, prevent you from getting a "goblin pharaoh Drunk"

Hmm.  What would happen if I added a child type to a single gender race (civ, in fact).  Would the game recognize that they reproduce, and thus keep them alive past worldgen?  Would they end up married even though they're the samge gender or lack thereof?  And would they get pregnant even if they weren't specifically female (the "males give birth" thread comes to mind, and I don't want anything like that happening...)?

I notice that ant(wo)men, who are a single gender race with no child type and a very short maximum age appear all over the world.  Does the game treat chasm creatures differently than others?

EDIT:  Shoot, worlds are refusing to generate properly.  Gonna remove the single-gender tags and see if that's what's doing it.  If it is, I'm gonna have to drop this and start on something else.

Also, is there a way to add water to a smelter reaction?  So, during a reaction a dwarf will have to wander off and bring back a bucket filled with water as an ingredient?  It'd be nice if it didn't have to consume the bucket along with the water...

[ February 12, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 02:55:00 am »

Sorry about the double post, but I thought it was worth it.

Well, this whole modding process has gotten spectacularly F*ed up.  First of all, the entities somehow got mixed up, so women think they're men, wearing their clothes and founding their fortresses, goblins think they're women and so wear thongs and bras in forest convents, worshipping towering six-breasted demigods, and men have somehow taken the place of the neutral centaurs and are the most prolific creature in the land, even though their breeding abilities are (hopefully) just as inhibited as those of women.

I recently was wandering around in a woman mountain hall, observing the immortal peasants (only way I could get a world to generate) wearing pig tail shirts and loincloths and telling me about how they had no families to speak of, when I came across the mayor.  This mayor was the servant of a manifest god of war, lust, and valor.  Setoc, the cave crocodile (What?).

Asking for a quest, the mayor pointed me in the direction of, well, the mountain hall.  She informed me of how the place was founded in year one, and about a guard who had frozen to death from wearing a suit of boiling leather earlier that day (I haven't found the corpse yet).  She also told me to go and kill Setoc, the cave crocodile.  Her god.

It would appear the gods of code and scripts do not agree with my plans for a "Battle of the Sexes" mod.  I hope that at least my dopefish creature worked, I'll have to find one and see.

How on earth it managed to screw up in these ways, I don't know.  At least it's entertaining.

EDIT:  Damn typos...

[ February 12, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 06:30:00 am »

Entities will get mixed up if you mistype and make a new creature with the same ID as an existing creature, and that creature is also one of the entities.

Pages: [1] 2