Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: G-rated no killing  (Read 46384 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: G-rated no killing
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2010, 06:51:32 pm »

Let it die please.

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:56 pm »

I'm not sure you could sufficiently sanitize DF for someone (Of any age) who is averse to the sort of violence which is to be found in it. It might be better to look at other building/management games, such as Sim City (or The Sims, for that matter), Railroad Tycoon, and Transport Tycoon (though I think if there is a plane crash or train wreck you do get a death toll in that last one).
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2010, 08:31:19 pm »

...I never thought this thread would be back from the grave... just let it die, please.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Asewl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2010, 09:48:37 pm »

Let me just say one thing Broken Bolt.  You have one Increadbly smart kid and you and your wife should be very very proud of him. 

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2010, 10:29:10 pm »

Let me just say one thing Broken Bolt.  You have one Increadbly smart kid and you and your wife should be very very proud of him. 

Okay >.> somebody needs to lock this thread.... I got tricked the first time, but I don't think this thread's author is even checking up on it <_<; since it was written 2 years ago...
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:19 pm »

Aw c'mon, bumping old threads isn't a problem, as long as people are still on topic (you're the only one who isn't).  Broken Bolt's been checking back every 6 months or so and I'm sure he'll be happy to see people are still enjoying the thread.  If there's a further problem, just report the thread and let the mods take care of it.  Saying the thread's gone to crap is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2010, 11:51:37 pm »

Aw c'mon, bumping old threads isn't a problem, as long as people are still on topic (you're the only one who isn't).  Broken Bolt's been checking back every 6 months or so and I'm sure he'll be happy to see people are still enjoying the thread.  If there's a further problem, just report the thread and let the mods take care of it.  Saying the thread's gone to crap is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

point.

Anyway, to bring us back onto topic.

hmmm... basically you'd need a way to stop insanity... I wonder if you could use a loop in one of those manager programs (the ones that let you manage moods and stuff) to prevent them from EVER falling below a certain happiness level (thus never going insane and killing people) as well as to instantly clean up blood when it appears
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2010, 03:10:57 am »

Moods dont make dwarves go nuts by making them less happy. The game just flips the nut switch after the dwarf fails to make his artifact for a certain amouth of time.

The only way I see to keep the game a 'sims' violence level is to:
Keep population below 20 (which prevents moods entirely),
Turn of temperatures, to mod out all weapons, trap components and weaponmaking professions,
Remove or pacify all otherwise hostile creatures,
Add a lot of damblock to prevent them from falling to their dooms (though im not sure if that works),
Add innate swimming,
Give the dwarves some [NOsomething] tags for the thing that still causes them to die.

As for happyness, adding [NOEMOTION] would prevent them from going mad, but would also make them completely apathetic to everything happening to them. It shouldnt be needed with the dwarves having no deaths to go mad about.

They would of course still die from starvation, dehydartion, chasm falls, atom smashings, etc. But well, sims starve too. And those other death arnt all that bloody ;D

Though its not like im saying this to help the OP, probably amongst these 12 pages this all got mentioned plenty times allready. I just found it interesting to think about. Its probabaly why this thread is as long as it is.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2010, 05:52:46 pm »

I think I'll be letting my son play this game whole-hog once I crop the language files so 'Rapeanus the Sweltering Lusts' doesn't show up as a goblin tower. I was always squeamish about gore and still am, but somewhere between Saturday morning cartoon violence and gutting a fish are goblins getting decapitated by spinning blade traps and little dwarves toiling around in caverns. Its a very abstract game, after all; I can see serious imagination building as easily as nightmare fuel. Only one way to learn how to swim, though. Gotta throw 'em in the creek.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2010, 10:47:45 pm »

durr durr durr
God damn it, dude. God damn it.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2010, 09:12:06 am »

He's 7 now and plays DF quite a bit.  He's working on a metal tower up to some height I'm not clear on.  I don't worry about the gore anymore, such as it is.
Thanks for all your input, esp those who are older and played graphic stuff younger and aren't in the Federal Pen.  Yet.
igrants have arrived from El Paso.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2010, 10:14:37 am »

He's 7 now and plays DF quite a bit.  He's working on a metal tower up to some height I'm not clear on.  I don't worry about the gore anymore, such as it is.
Thanks for all your input, esp those who are older and played graphic stuff younger and aren't in the Federal Pen.  Yet.
those federal pen collections can suck lives more than playing mine craft.
don't joke about that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2010, 11:01:37 am »

I played DOOM with my dad when I was 6... maybe I was just weird or something.  :p
...You play Dwarf Fortress.

I was going to write a big rant about stuff but instead im going to offer some very simple advice:<P><I>Do not leave him in the dark.</I> Tell him its a violent game and that you want to remove the badies from it, if he's unhappy about this then maybe you ought to reconsider.<P>After all, this game is nothing more than graphics and text on a computer screen, the real world is far worse than Dwarf Fortress ever could be.<P>If you lie to him and change the game behind his back, then you are betraying his trust, and that makes you a bad person!<P>(ps, please dont be angry at me)
Seconded. Let him know that it has a bunch of stuff you might not want him to have to deal with (e.g. goblin sieges, insane dwarves, mangled corpses-you don't have to be that specific.). Take out anything you know you don't want him to see; ask him if he wants to leave hunger, thirst, caveins, etc, in.
If he does really well, you can leave out that DF is a lot harder with everything in.

Guys, the parent knows best.  If a kid is not ready to face the facts of life, let him be protected for a while longer.
If the Father and Mother decide that the game may be too violent, and they don't want to let their children view it, then good on them. If anything that shows good parenting, making sure you raise your child with the best intentions. Help the guy out, and move on.
But this too. You know your kid; advice for someone who routinely brings home strays to take care of them is vastly different from advice for a kid who gets into fights.

If you turn off sieges, turn off megabeasts, edit out the kobold thieves, turn off all hunting jobs, and resist the temptation to splatter the elven caravans and diplomats, you should be able to play on a calm map with no worries.
I value your opinion, but it's wrong. *cough*Insanity*/cough*

Why is this topic still being discussed? It seems that the question was answered some time ago, but everyone has decided that this guy needs our parenting advice as well.<P>[ January 26, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think it's because we feel that we need to have our opinion heard. We are human, and arguing and correcting is our nature. I only wish BrokenBolt would post "ok".
Same here; I think that BB isn't reading this anymore. It's possible that, having read it, he's made his decision and isn't looking at this thread anymore.

In case I'm wrong, and BB is still looking for advice, my opinion is, wait until the kid's older. I don't know him (or her?), but I can guess that there's not much he could do on his own right now.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PlumpHelmetDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2010, 06:18:20 pm »

Why is this topic still being discussed? It seems that the question was answered some time ago, but everyone has decided that this guy needs our parenting advice as well.<P>[ January 26, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think it's because we feel that we need to have our opinion heard. We are human, and arguing and correcting is our nature. I only wish BrokenBolt would post "ok".
Same here; I think that BB isn't reading this anymore. It's possible that, having read it, he's made his decision and isn't looking at this thread anymore.

In case I'm wrong, and BB is still looking for advice, my opinion is, wait until the kid's older. I don't know him (or her?), but I can guess that there's not much he could do on his own right now.

Two posts above yours, dude.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2010, 06:27:29 pm »

Games don't hurt people; people hurt people.
Games don't make people hurt people; social and cultural conditions make people hurt people.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15