Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: G-rated no killing  (Read 46396 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: G-rated no killing
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2009, 05:00:02 pm »

I have to wonder which is more amazing to me: A 5-year-old playing DF, or a 70-year-old playing DF.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2009, 05:42:05 pm »

Your family sounds awesome. I just have to say that.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2009, 09:45:56 pm »

Your family sounds awesome. I just have to say that.

Seconded, I still can't get anyone to play...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2009, 09:47:19 pm »

I have to wonder which is more amazing to me: A 5-year-old playing DF, or a 70-year-old playing DF.

70 year old... definately

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2009, 06:29:57 pm »

I find the idea of chopping people in half to be a lot more palatable if you explain it in a way as if they were lego people and their arms were popping off and your dwarves pulled the lego torso and pants pieces apart.

Breaking lego people apart is fun.  :P
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2009, 09:16:27 pm »

I find the idea of chopping people in half to be a lot more palatable if you explain it in a way as if they were lego people and their arms were popping off and your dwarves pulled the lego torso and pants pieces apart.

Don't lose the hands! It annoys me no end when I find someone's lego to play with, and all the mini-figures are missing the hands. Lord knows why you'd want to take the hands out anyway. 90% of them are identical, and those that aren't are like, black, or gray or something

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2009, 11:04:52 pm »

Don't lose the hands! It annoys me no end when I find someone's lego to play with, and all the mini-figures are missing the hands. Lord knows why you'd want to take the hands out anyway. 90% of them are identical, and those that aren't are like, black, or gray or something
some of them are also pirate hooks, either gray, or red translucent.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2009, 04:03:18 am »

And you can only get those super-pirates by customizing the hands and legs, so that they're left with two hooks and two pegs.  Some old underwater sets had green transparent hooks.

And some people just really, really need gloves.  It just works better that way.  The guy with one red pantleg and one blue, well...  That's cousin Clem.  We don't talk about him much.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2009, 04:55:59 am »

Oh armok...
When i read about super pirates i though you meant something with heaps of legs and arms, and heads.
But having peglegs and hooks is awsome too.
Dont forget the two eyepatches.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2010, 03:45:32 pm »

Smirt45 (6:28:53 PM): Necro <P>Bay Watcher posted January 20, 2008 04:12 PM  <P>If the boy is put off by Curious George, then I think watching little childrens' limbs fly off in all directions also would.
Twerty223 (6:29:31 PM): What the hell? Is someone trying to get a kid to play DF? xD
Smirt45 (6:29:39 PM): yeah
Smirt45 (6:29:41 PM): four-year-old
Smirt45 (6:29:47 PM): he wants to mod out all the violence
Twerty223 (6:30:03 PM): LOL
Twerty223 (6:30:03 PM): LOL<P>Not to be offensive, but I think that's an answer enough.

There is a DF IRC channel? Address?

Edit for content: I am 15, the first game I can remember playing is the original GTA when I was about 6, and I started playing Diablo 2 when I was about 8 (still do occasionally). I'm not a sociopathic killer yet, so I can only assume that there is no problem :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:17:03 pm by Huggz »
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2010, 08:10:02 pm »

This thread is over 2 years old.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2010, 07:05:47 am »

This thread is over 2 years old.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Last post was only three months ago and this Broken Bolt guy seems to be checking back every year or so so he might see my comment eventually :P
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Yarn

• Bay Watcher
  • DF + SANITY = 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2010, 02:25:25 pm »

Man, the earliest I remember myself playing violent games was at the age of four, I played and beat the first medal of honour, and I am only slightly insane.
WE ARE THE DWARVES
LOWER YOUR SANITY AND SURRENDER YOUR MIND
WE WILL ADD YOUR LIKES AND DISLIKES TO OUR OWN
YOU MIND WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2010, 12:28:14 pm »

I'm glad there are still parents out there who actually consider what their children are playing.

Alright, here's what you need to do.
In the .init file you can disable two things. the rent (look for no rent and set it too YES), and the Invaders (set them to NO).

Rent will means your kid does not have to witness dwarves emoing themselves to death over the economy when it activates, invaders being turned off will get rid of ALL goblins, kolbolds, and similar attacks. You won't have to worry about them.

There's probably a way to disable blood being visible also, but I don't know it <_<;

Also, do your kid a favor and install a graphics and tile set for him. I suggest Sphr's work over just about anybody else because of his level of detail combined with the fact he distinguishes between various sub-professions in a skill set. For example: Seige Engineers, Architects, and Mechanics are all considered to be "Mechanics" under the code. They usually appear to be the same type of dwarf, this is true even of Mayday (the other really awesome graphic set). Sphr's set differentiates between them.

You need to edit the text files a little, as well as the names you save the files under. For example, Sphrs_Dwarves.bmp should be how it is saved when you do the whole "save as" thing, you will want to change that too simply Dwarves.bmp. Further, the text file where you store the graphic's set will not be set to the right folder.

You will want to change the name of your folder from examples to Main, and then for the graphics sets for things that aren't humans, kobolds, goblins, and dwarves you will want to change THEIR file paths so it reroutes from the default folders (animal and creature) to main instead, so all your graphic sets are all nice and neatly packed away.

You'll have a really pretty set of graphics for the game, with easily identified dwarves at a simple glance. Everyone wins.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2010, 06:49:43 pm »

*You struggle with the ratman!
*You hug the ratman about the upper body!
*The ratman has spilt his strawberry jam everywhere!
*The ratman has gone to sleep!
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED
_|   _|             BUTTS
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15