Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: G-rated no killing  (Read 46390 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: G-rated no killing
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2009, 06:18:57 am »

Yep. But in fairness to them, remember that metal and video games cause psychopathic tendencies to instantly manifest, where the child would have been perfectly fine with not even a hint of these psychological problems manifesting if only they had stayed away from metal/games.

Children and hippy liberals seem to think that psychopathic tendencies can exist without the influence of pop culture, music and sexual references. Every decent citizen knows that sex/violence/drugs in games is only appropriate after they hit 30, no matter what Swedish research says.

I just did the most giganticest double take ever until i realised you were being sarcastic. Well played sir.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2009, 11:23:05 am »

Cheers. I wasn't sure if I had under or over-played that.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2009, 07:37:15 pm »

Damn you Neruz, don't Ninja me! I was going to answer it in the same tone, but you got it first.  :P ;D
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2009, 10:35:27 pm »

I feel pretty upset that most of you didn't really care to answer Broken Bolt's request and instead went on polemics.

There was one suggestion Broken Bolt may use, get rid of invaders and give dwarfs immunities and DAMBLOCK, meaning dwarfs can't die.

Let me tell you one thing: Losing becomes more fun when the whole world is flooded with lava, and you're going to have to swim while running away from demons who want nothing more than to maim you, and you can't take the easy way out by waiting for good old Death to save ya!

That's why censorship rocks! Haven't Generäle taught us that?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:38:06 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2009, 10:42:38 pm »

Um, i'm pretty sure Bolt's request was answered in like the first three pages or so.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »

Yes but most of the people were not answering his question. I also don't know if Broken Bolt used this:

Quote from: Aquillion
You're going to have to play the game with your kid anyway, if they can't read (can they read?)  And if they can't read, they're only going to know what things on the screen mean if you tell them, so you can just tell them about the good/interesting/building-farming stuff.

Also, for modding:  You can turn off sieges and so on.  Giving dwarves noemotion will make them never have tantrums, but I don't know if you actually need to do that...

A much better way of dealing with it:  Give dwarves an absurdly high damblock, make it so they don't breathe or need to eat or drink, and make them immune to fire, heat, and cold.  At that point, not much can hurt them aside from a collapse...  even if you flood the fortress, your dwarves won't drown (they can swim!)  Even if you flood it with lava, they'll be fine, since you made them immune to heat and fire.

Hence my previous post.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Goose in a jar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2009, 12:46:06 am »

Is it possible to mod in the opposite of the demonic hate kill thought code?

Like turn them into adamantine dwelling care bears?

I also think you should remove all organs and blood possible, just in case Urist McSupers in the love dimension aren't enough.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2009, 12:03:26 am »

I've played halo 3 when I was 5 and stopped being scared by movies when I was 6. I belive DF is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the violence period(unless you want your kid to stop laying out of boredom)
Hello Hunam

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2009, 12:05:56 am »

I've played halo  when I was 5 and stopped being scared by movies when I was 6. I belive DF is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the violence period(unless you want your kid to stop laying out of boredom)
Hello Hunam

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2009, 12:40:07 am »

I've played halo 3 when I was 5 and stopped being scared by movies when I was 6. I belive DF is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the violence period(unless you want your kid to stop laying out of boredom)
You're not far in age difference, so you probably know what it's like to be a four year old.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2009, 03:07:43 am »

Halo 3 was released in late 2007. That places you at 7 years old, maximum.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2009, 03:12:37 am »

Halo 3 was released in late 2007. That places you at 7 years old, maximum.

That's not very fair G-Flex...

He could have a time-machine.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48:20 am »

I think he may be hyperbolating (that's not a real word, but it should be).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2009, 09:38:10 pm »

I tried to edit it to be halo but I accedently pressed quote for some reason -.-. Jesus I have to stop posting before bed.
Hello Hunam

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2009, 04:56:07 pm »

Okay, an update.

He's 6 now and deals fine with the drowning and stuff though I don't point out severed pieces of invaders lying around.  He knows the red is blood.

He could read well enough at 4 to get by on most of it.

So it's sort of irrelevant at this point, yet the posts go on, which is fine because the questions live outside the people originally interested.

He tried to teach his grandmother (70) how to play but she just can't get the hang of it.  Too many menus: she's used to point and click stuff, mostly facebook and photo editing.
igrants have arrived from El Paso.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15