Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: G-rated no killing  (Read 46378 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: G-rated no killing
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2009, 07:33:43 pm »

Oh, I didn't say mass killing. Please, I'm no hitler.
slaughtering huge numbers is the best solution, or just plain wiping man off the face of the earth

I cannot in any way reconcile these two quotes in my mind.

Also: "95% of all murder is justified" sure sounds like mass killing to me.

Anyway, it has been fun arguing hypothetical mass murder with you, but I'm sleepy. Enjoy the night/day whatever.

I kind of have to wonder how much the people in charge of this forum, or the people talking in this thread, or the person who made it, enjoyed it being derailed into a discussion of something like whether or not arbitrary mass-murder is a good thing. Granted, I did take the bait.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2009, 07:53:08 pm »

Oh. I do appear to have said mass slaughter. Fair play.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2009, 10:02:34 pm »

Oh, I didn't say mass killing. Please, I'm no hitler. I just acknowledge that the occasional body here or there isn't going to hurt the world. slaughtering huge numbers is the best solution, or just plain wiping man off the face of the earth, but that's not going to happen.

Anyway, it has been fun arguing hypothetical mass murder with you, but I'm sleepy. Enjoy the night/day whatever.

Mass murder is only okay if it's done with magma.

I contribute a lot to the threads I post in.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2009, 10:14:00 pm »

Umm... Is this child a prodigy of sorts?

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2009, 12:31:28 am »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:22:56 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2009, 05:53:38 am »

As a fellow father I applaud the author of this thread for sharing his interest with his son. I hope I can have a similarly close relationship with my children when they grow old enough.

To those that rant about violence I challenge you to have children of your own and repeat what you're saying. Being a parent changes your entire life and the values you hold as well.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2009, 06:43:13 am »

Jimmy, you are no doubt correct. Although I  think I would make a heinously irresponsible and very liberal father, I'm sure I'll change if I have a kid, because apparently having kids turns everyone into a paedophile-obsessed bag of jittering sleeplessness (at least, that's how I see it). If I have one I'm sure I'll come to see how wrong I was and why my child should never be exposed to sex or violence, but for now I'm pretty fond of my youthful arrogance :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2009, 07:06:06 am »

Goddamnit. Let me just throw something out there.

My dad once told me about a kid, who's parents were Amish. His parents never let him, NOR even told him about the outside world and the experiences. When he was old enough for school, his parents sent him out, and he was completely overwhelmed by the new knowledge, he didn't know how to handle it all, because there was just too much new stuff in his life, good, AND bad. As this was not an amish school, but a public one. I'll stop here.

I'm gonna take an educated guess, because many of my old friends when we were young were exposed to more 'mature' things. When I met them, I was a kid who was happy, yes. But I also was much more prone to emotional pain. When I experienced many things that were emotionally painful, or much more 'mature', I developed a thought process. "This is life, life goes on, and you gotta think happy thoughts, even when it throws a brick at you." When I experienced alot of these things, Sure, I was less enthusiastic about alot of things, and yes, I was less emotionally vulnerable. I'm not gonna force any suggestions on you, just giving you my personal experiences.

Though, should you teach your son to play DF, normal version or not. It's really YOUR choice. not ours.
Take from it what you will.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:16:37 am by kholhaus »
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2009, 07:58:53 am »

hmm. Very deep. I'm only 18 and I'm already a more cynical bastard than most. I used to be very emotional, crying at the drop of a hat and being very affectionate. After a string of bitches ruined me I found that I've grown into a more hardened individual. I never cry, but I'm also a lot less affectionate and al that stuff. Hmm.. I guess I've rather shot down my own previous points...

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2009, 10:00:00 am »

You can remove violence in a sense... By taking away all the limbs I guess... NOHUNGER NOFEER NOBLEED ect ect... Omg, too much modding to even think about. You'd delete like half the game. By the time you're done the child will be old enough to play the game with violence, and by the time hes capable of learning all the bindings and mechanics he might be old enough to deal with-

The child's left leg flies off in a bloody arc!
The child vomits.
The child vomits.
The child vomits.
The child vomits.
The child vomits.
The child's right leg flies off in a bloody arc!
Child, Urist McUrist has bled to death.

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2009, 03:44:07 am »

Yeah, he's matured a lot since the original post.
He plays this unmodified now, though we usually turn invaders off.
It won't be long before he wants to see a hammerdwarf smack a goblin half way across the screen, which is not necessarily good.
It is dwarfs losing that he doesn't like.
I showed him a arrow-shooting tower a while back and he liked that, but now archery targets don't seem to work anymore...but I digress.
Lately he found my old gameboy color and plays Qix.  No blood there.

Thanks for the kind posts.
igrants have arrived from El Paso.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2009, 06:20:23 am »

It won't be long before he wants to see a hammerdwarf smack a goblin half way across the screen, which is not necessarily good.
I showed him a arrow-shooting tower a while back and he liked that, but now archery targets don't seem to work anymore...but I digress.

I have no idea where you're from, but it seems like you're an exceptionally involved parent - and at the very least, I respect that fact.

I simply question the wisdom of shielding the child from certain things. I was 'shielded' from The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live and movies like Jaws (as in, at the age of sixteen), and I turned out to be the most misanthropic liberal ideologue in my entire graduating class.

I'd suggest that what the child is exposed to is irrelevant - it's the way the parents deal with it. Turn on all of the violence, yadda yadda yadda. Sit down with him while he plays every so often, remember the most violent and concerning things, and talk to him about them later - make sure he knows it's make-believe and why people shouldn't be violent in everyday situations in real life.

Do this with other games, television shows, movies, and any other media which are violent, racy, or explicit in any other way. Talk to him about what he saw, and make sure he knows what you think is acceptable and what is not, and what society thinks is acceptable and what is not.

If you make this a constant thing as the kid grows up, then you don't really have to bother with all of the hand-wringing about blood, et cetera, your kid gets entertained, and you can tell by his responses what he should be exposed to more or less. There's very few things in parenting quite like getting feedback directly from your kid, and if you make a habit of talking to them about things, they'll return the favour (at least, until puberty - but that's a whole 'nother ballgame, and you have a handful of years to worry about before you get to that point, Armok be praised).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:22:34 am by Winterbrass »
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2009, 09:33:01 pm »

So it went from G-Rating no killing, to turning invaders off. Not so much for the violence, but because he will die horribly. Spoiling that kid rotten.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2009, 07:30:54 pm »

With the exception of your kid being a freaking genius, everything seems pretty normal. Generally speaking kids don't mind violence and sex in games, television, books or what so ever, at least as long all the unpleasantness happens with someone else than the character or characters they relate to, generally the protagonists. Most kids don't mind the monster or the evil step-mother (I swear that the person who first invented this tales must have been a divorced mother.  :P ) suffering horrendous fates, but does mind if the heroes get as much as grounded after school. Almost always, the ones opposed the the kids seeing violence and sex are the parents, and/or other adults.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2009, 11:13:34 pm »

Yep. But in fairness to them, remember that metal and video games cause psychopathic tendencies to instantly manifest, where the child would have been perfectly fine with not even a hint of these psychological problems manifesting if only they had stayed away from metal/games.

Children and hippy liberals seem to think that psychopathic tendencies can exist without the influence of pop culture, music and sexual references. Every decent citizen knows that sex/violence/drugs in games is only appropriate after they hit 30, no matter what Swedish research says.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15