Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stairs?  (Read 606 times)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stairs?
« on: August 10, 2006, 12:56:00 am »

Ok, so in adventure mode.
1. Are there stairs? I ask because I see things that look like stairs from nethack, and in a town I walked on somthing in the mayor place and I went to a differnt area in the building (thats the way it looks anyway)
2. If there are stairs. what exactly do they look like, and how do I use them?

Whoops! Man Comparing them to nethack just now made me think to try using the same controlls...    :o
"<" and ">".   :D

[ August 10, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Stairs?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 01:08:00 am »

Yeah, the < > work the same way as most roguelikes.  There are also ramps, which I probably didn't describe anywhere -- a ramp looks like a solid triangle pointing up or down.  If you step on a down ramp, you'll use it automatically.  If you are standing on a ramp pointing up (in a cave or at a pyramid for example), you walk into a wall with a space above it to move.  It's usually fairly clear, once you know how ramps work, but if you need to check, you can use the look command [l] and then use <and> to move in the Z direction.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 01:13:00 am »

Ah yes, the ramps would be why i moved to a differnt place then. I didn't know you could look up as well, thanks Toady!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 01:22:00 am »

Cool, I didn't know you could look up and down. That was useful, thanks Toady. Now I gotta try how far one can see from on top of a pyramid...
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 01:26:00 am »

He he he -- unfortunately, making the open blocks of sky far from the period look-throughable caused a path-finding lockup of all things, so it's temporarily disabled.  You'll only be able to see very nearby ground squares.  The same also holds of the taller towers -- you won't be able to see their higher walls until you stand closer to them.

Pyramids can be fun though.  Sometimes it's a little annoying to be attacked by somebody you didn't notice on the level above or below, but if they are below you can use the [A] command + charge in [c] to jump off the ledge at them.  Or you can charge somebody standing toward the ledge at your level and tangle and fall off together and then smash their skeletal body to pieces, that sort of thing.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 02:28:00 am »

The first time I found a ramp, I thought it was a hole in the ground and searched the whole cave for a proper stairway after killing the giant with much loss of NPC life. It took me a while to figure out what was up.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.