Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower caps?  (Read 691 times)

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower caps?
« on: January 17, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

Hi.  I was just wondering if it was possible to mod it so it's possible to embark with tower-cap seeds, have your farms be able to plant them, and the plants be capable of making more seeds? I really want to make a totally sub-terra fortress, but wood is the only real problem.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Fenrir

Re: Tower caps?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

No, I don't think that's possible. Trees and plants are two different things in the raws.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »

Would it be possible to mod in a tower cap plant that yields logs or has byproducts that can be processed into logs?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

I think I remember reading that someone had worked on a reaction to take a plant and use it in a (smelter) reaction to make a log. I've read of people having problems with plants being used that are stored in barrels, though.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

There are three ways to get wood that I know:

1.  Cut trees, assuming any grow on your map.  For tower-caps, you need to discover an underground feature before they'll appear.  In particular, I think you have to discover an underground river or pool.

2.  Import logs.  These are heavy, so it takes very few to fill a wagon.  It works, but as your only wood source it sucks.

3.  Custom reactions.  This will require you to generate a new world (note that a given seed will generate a similar but different world under a modded game than it will in vanilla DF).  The possibilities are almost endless:  Spawn logs from thin air, transmute charcoal into wood, replicate an existing log, etc.

Actually, I think there's a fourth method:

4.  Destroy caravan wagons.  I'm pretty sure they drop three logs each when you topple them.

[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Wait:

5.  Give a creature the appropriate ITEMCORPSE token.  If you're going to do this, I see no reason not to use a reaction instead with the sole exception that this method won't require a new world.

[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

Hmm... Kittens = wood. Fun.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

Heh, make a treant farm :P

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:16:00 am »

Actually, that would be a good idea... Have treants or some other appropriate creature, make them butcherable, and make them tameable, and gendered so they reproduce... I don't work with animals so I could be completely wrong...

"The treants protect this forest" the elf said.  "The treants protect our fortress, as well" the dwarf replied.  "The treants live in your woods and protect you?  Dwarves?"  "No, but we've built a nice picket fence."

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

Someone should make an "Ent" from lord of the rings. When it dies, it turns into like 20 logs.

Just a retarded idea I came up with.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

In regards to the butcherable treant idea: Items (such as wood) as corpses isn't compatible with butchering, it will just kill the animal and produce nothing. (At least it did this back in the 2d version, I haven't tried lately).

If you wanted animals that make wood, you could create some sort of tame animal that produces wood, give it tags so that it will breed and a relatively short lifespan (so it would die on its own), and just bring it with you. It would basically just be a cheat though, since it would require no dwarf labor and would simply populate and continuously produce logs every year as the older ones die off.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link