Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Picky Dark Elves  (Read 740 times)

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Picky Dark Elves
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

Ok, so I'm trading with my Dark Elves in my fortress game, and even though I've designed them to use animal goods, they still throw a fit when I try to trade leather to them.  This is no doubt because they are based on Elves, but I'm not sure what part of their creature/entity file controls what kinds of goods they will accept in trade.  Is there a way I can make them accept leather and other "unethical works" in trade?

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Picky Dark Elves
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

[WOOD_PREF] I would assume

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

Could it be the [WOODPREF]in the entity file?  Otherwise it might be a part of [FOREST_SETTLEMENTS].
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

turboburrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>Could it be the [WOODPREF]in the entity file?  Otherwise it might be a part of [FOREST_SETTLEMENTS].</STRONG>

I bet its probably the forest settlements tag, many of the civs more specific actions are controlled by a few tags, mountain_settlement, forest_settlement,plains_settlement, or baby snatcher go far beyond their implications.  In the next version from what Toady has been saying it seems that we will have more control over this.

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

You should make Dark Elves Mountain_settlement any how since they normally live under the ground (In the underdark) that would solve most of your problems me thinks :P
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

In an earlier version I tried that but then they wouldn't generate.  Every map I generated only had dwarves as a playable mountain civ.  Changing them back to forests fixed it.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

I expect it's [FOREST_SETTLEMENTS] or is hardcoded.

From context, I think that [WOOD_PREF] will control whether a creature of that race can have a preferred wood type.